What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Dem vote (1 Viewer)

Who do you back for Dem Primary

• Total voters
Has time passed to change affiliation?  I'm in the same boat as you, but thought about switching to GOP just so I can vote against the sharpie child twice.
The deadline to register for an upcoming election is 29 days before that election. You can also update your registration record at any time. However, since Florida is a closed primary election state, a party change for a primary election must be made by the registration deadline for that election. If the deadline has passed, you can still submit an online application at any time and it will be processed for future elections.

I will vote for Tusi in the primary since that is why I switched party affiliation.  Since she doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell to make it as the Dem nominee I will be voting for Trump in 2020.

I liked Bennet too but again no chance.  With my likely choices being Biden, Warren, or Sanders I don't really have a choice on who I vote for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough.  And I don't care what you are but every topic that stays on topic you support the Dem view on it which has nothing to do with Trump.
I could give you a laundry list of topics where my position as been seen as "why do you hate America you selfish conservative"...starting with healthcare and not being a M4A fan, student loan forgiveness etc.

Who hasn't been willing to name a candidate?  

My first choice is still Mayor Pete.  Then Yang (but he really has no shot and Pete is a long shot).  Of the others Id be more for Warren than Bernie, Biden, or Harris.
Have you been to South Bend?  I like Pete but other than a little area downtown it is a dump and low income folk are not happy with Pete.  

Perfectly said.  It is quite obvious @The Commish is not a Republican so I don't know why he is fighting it so much.  I can't think of one conservative issue that I have seen him support.  It would be like me claiming to be a Democrat with my posting history.
I'm not fighting the fact I am not a Republican....I am proud that I am not a current day Republican.  I have never shied away from that :shrug:  

Yang. What is wrong with you people. Here's a guy that has a plan to line your pockets with an extra $1k a month for life. That's like winning a mini lotto. Buy the Yang lotto ticket.

Plus, his IQ us greater than the rest of the field, combined. It's like 10x that of Warren.

I was going to tell you guys to quit with the personal bickering but this actually seems like a decent thread for you to do it in so carry on in here and quit mucking up the interesting threads.
You may be right. Maybe just let this be the dumpster thread where they can go back and forth at each other like they are doing as middle schoolers and stop ruining other threads. 
Isn't that what the Trump safe space thread is for?  If you don't want me pushing back on being falsely labeled, fine, I won't.  Most of the time I don't, but this morning I didn't have much going on so I went along for the trolling trip for a bit.  It's an incident that I didn't initiate but did respond to.  If it wasn't allowed to be posted in the first place, it wouldn't be available to be responded to.  He's not going to get me banned here.  I know the rules and follow the rules.  He's not good enough to have me deviate from that, but I don't know why you guys continue to let him try.

I’m fine with any of them -  would vote for whoever it is over the current clown show ring leader.

The guy I like best is Pete.

Only 3 votes for Bernie is pretty surprising. 

Zero votes for Booker.  I wonder why?  What is so different about him than any of the other candidates?   
If i had to guess, it's his relationship to big pharma. I know i brushed him aside after that and his"performance" during the kavanaugh hearings. Rubbed me the wrong way. 

Though he was awesome against Biden in the second debate. Also needs much more detail behind his policies

To me, Sanders is the only one speaking in a genuine way, and would be most likely to stick to campaign promises above others.  I think he's actually sympathetic to labor, and not just trying to bridge the divide between labor and monolithic corporations.  He's also making unapologetic cases about the environment and carceral state.  These are all critical issues.  Everyone else on that list comes across like a neoliberal to me.  I don't really care about age, or if someone newer and prettier is parroting the same stuff he's said for 30 years now that it's politically convenient to do so.  

He's probably taken the most favorable stand on Israel/Palestine, although it's a very weak one in an extremely pro-Israel field.  Palestine is still the best litmus test for how much conviction a candidate has.

Not that I like the policies perse, but I'm impressed by the staff he's hired for his campaign- David Sirota, Faiz Shakir, Briahna Joy Gray.  It's a reflection of competence.   I think he would pick Ro Khanna as his running mate, who I like.  He's far from perfect- his endorsements of establishment Dems are gross.  But to me he represents the closest thing to a real opposition party.  He's the only one left I would even consider voting for.  

The candidate seen as more populist will win this election.  Give me the guy that the political establishment hates.  

Should narrow the pole down.  Watching CNN last night it looks like a 3 horse race.   Biden-Warren-Sanders in that order.  

Booker and O`Rourke are done.  Pete and Harris are above them but barely.  

Should narrow the pole down.  Watching CNN last night it looks like a 3 horse race.   Biden-Warren-Sanders in that order.  

There are really two races going on now - and one that will take place later on.

Warren v. Biden - this is for all the people looking for a comfort candidate and happy with going back to the past

Harris v. Buttigieg - this is for the people looking towards the future.

Sanders - he is not a factor - because his support is capped, he won't get the support necessary to have a majority of delegates, and he won't have the support of the DNC

In the end, I think it will be a battle between the winners of the two races above Warren/Biden v. Harris/Buttigieg for the nomination.

I’ve kind of dismissed Booker all along (ever since the Kavanaugh hearings, actually.) But he’s hung in there. 

If Biden falters, the center will be looking for somebody not named Warren or Sanders. I figured that would be Harris or maybe Pete. But it could be Booker or Klobuchar too. 

There are really two races going on now - and one that will take place later on.

Warren v. Biden - this is for all the people looking for a comfort candidate and happy with going back to the past

Harris v. Buttigieg - this is for the people looking towards the future.

Sanders - he is not a factor - because his support is capped, he won't get the support necessary to have a majority of delegates, and he won't have the support of the DNC

In the end, I think it will be a battle between the winners of the two races above Warren/Biden v. Harris/Buttigieg for the nomination.
Very interesting way to look at it.

I’ve kind of dismissed Booker all along (ever since the Kavanaugh hearings, actually.) But he’s hung in there. 

If Biden falters, the center will be looking for somebody not named Warren or Sanders. I figured that would be Harris or maybe Pete. But it could be Booker or Klobuchar too. 
Yeah I think Booker is pretty well positioned if Biden really tanks.

How are Warren and Sanders "looking to the past"?  Unless you mean FDR?  Which, fair enough.
Biden not Sanders.

Sanders is not a factor for different reasons.

Biden is campaigning as Obama's BFF.

Warren is certainly a progressive candidate, but she is also a septuagenarian - and for many, there is comfort in having an elder stateswoman (v. a less experienced candidate like Harris or Buttigieg)

For me - I'd rank the candidates whom I favor as Buttigieg, Warren, Harris.  I'd be happy with any of those candidates.  If Biden gets the nomination, I will be disappointed.

I know his numbers are low but I see him as more likely to emerge than other candidates with similar numbers like Klobuchar or Beto or Julian Castro.  
I am curious about what you see.

I don't follow his campaign, but I don't see him doing much to be a factor in the race.  By that I mean, I don't see evidence of him laying the groundwork for a groundswell of support.  I can see Warren and Buttigieg putting in the work now.  Biden has a path as the front runner.  I think Harris needs to find some traction soon - but she has demonstrated that she can poll higher - she just has not shown that she can consistently poll higher.

What am I missing about Booker?  What is he doing to build the foundation for a big push in early 2020?

The candidate seen as more populist will win this election.  Give me the guy that the political establishment hates.  
:lmao:

i could swear your entire post was specifically designed to troll me, except I know you mean it. 

I really like you, @ren hoek. I mean that. You strike me as an honest dude, you’re smart, you’re thoughtful, and I sense you’re a good person. And that’s so funny to me because there is nobody else here that I am more diametrically opposed to than you on nearly every important issue I can think of. You have become a litmus test of sorts for me: if you’re for something, I feel reassured being against it, and vice versa. 

What I appreciate most about you is that your arguments strengthen mine against you. Keep it up. 

I am curious about what you see.

I don't follow his campaign, but I don't see him doing much to be a factor in the race.  By that I mean, I don't see evidence of him laying the groundwork for a groundswell of support.  I can see Warren and Buttigieg putting in the work now.  Biden has a path as the front runner.  I think Harris needs to find some traction soon - but she has demonstrated that she can poll higher - she just has not shown that she can consistently poll higher.

What am I missing about Booker?  What is he doing to build the foundation for a big push in early 2020?
I’m not comparing him to the leading candidates you’ve named, all of them seem more likely to get the nomination than he is.  I’m comparing him to the other candidates that are struggling to get more than 3% or so.  I feel like he’s a guy that could sorta rebuild the Obama coalition.  He’s black and his signature issue is criminal justice reform, so it seems plausible he could grab a big share of the black vote.  He’s not scary to rich people and timschochet types like Warren and Sanders seem to be.  He’s youngish and enthusiastic enough to appeal to younger voters.  I think he’s one of the best public speakers of those running.  To me it all adds up to him being a sort of sleeper candidate.  Still a long shot, but I’d probably put him as the most likely outside the top 5.

Warren is certainly a progressive candidate, but she is also a septuagenarian - and for many, there is comfort in having an elder stateswoman (v. a less experienced candidate like Harris or Buttigieg)

For me - I'd rank the candidates whom I favor as Buttigieg, Warren, Harris.  I'd be happy with any of those candidates.  If Biden gets the nomination, I will be disappointed.
Ditto re: Biden, but I think Warren benefits from both the energy on the left and the aging of the boomers to make it hard for anyone else to really challenge Biden.  Expecting her to be the big story (like a win and a second) coming out of the first two contests.

I follow this stuff pretty closely and I couldn't tell you what Harris really stands for.  Like Pete a lot, but let's see something beyond mid-sized city mayor first.  Would still happily vote for either of them.

Had issues with Sanders four years ago and this cycle has only convinced me that my reasons were good ones.  Glad he's unlikely to be the nominee.

Everyone else is just running out the string at this point.

I am definitely on board with supporting a more moderate candidate who can gain traction as an alternative to Biden, Warren or Bernie.  I would prefer that to be Pete but I’d be perfectly happy with Booker, Klobuchar, or Beto.  I could stomach Harris too.

You're certainly right about the DNC rigging it again, but I disagree on the first part.  Sanders has a broader and more dedicated support base than anyone else.  He's leading the pack in small dollar donations.  The enthusiasm for Biden meanwhile is lukewarm at best. 

I’m not comparing him to the leading candidates you’ve named, all of them seem more likely to get the nomination than he is.  I’m comparing him to the other candidates that are struggling to get more than 3% or so.  I feel like he’s a guy that could sorta rebuild the Obama coalition.  He’s black and his signature issue is criminal justice reform, so it seems plausible he could grab a big share of the black vote.  He’s not scary to rich people and timschochet types like Warren and Sanders seem to be.  He’s youngish and enthusiastic enough to appeal to younger voters.  I think he’s one of the best public speakers of those running.  To me it all adds up to him being a sort of sleeper candidate.  Still a long shot, but I’d probably put him as the most likely outside the top 5.
I got that - was more just curious about what he was doing campaign-wise, since I don't really follow him, and he does not make many headlines.  So, I did not know if he was building a foundation for a big push later on.

Admittedly I am not looking closely - but I don't sense that he has done enough over the summer to suggest he has the makings of a sleeper candidate - where he is slowly, but surely building up his campaign.

A lot can (and probably will) change over the fall - but it will take someone grabbing the race and making it their own in order to get into the conversation.

I have tiered preferences:

Tier 1: Pete

Tier 2: Booker, Klobuchar, Beto

Tier 3: Harris, Castro

Tier 4: Biden

Tier 5: Bernie, Yang

Tier 6: Warren

:lmao:

i could swear your entire post was specifically designed to troll me, except I know you mean it. 

I really like you, @ren hoek. I mean that. You strike me as an honest dude, you’re smart, you’re thoughtful, and I sense you’re a good person. And that’s so funny to me because there is nobody else here that I am more diametrically opposed to than you on nearly every important issue I can think of. You have become a litmus test of sorts for me: if you’re for something, I feel reassured being against it, and vice versa. 

What I appreciate most about you is that your arguments strengthen mine against you. Keep it up. 
I like you too Tim.  You've grown on me a lot over the years.  You're almost always hilariously dead wrong, but I enjoy our back and forths (where before I dreaded them).  But when you get it right, sometimes you really hit it out of the park.  

You're certainly right about the DNC rigging it again, but I disagree on the first part.  Sanders has a broader and more dedicated support base than anyone else.  He's leading the pack in small dollar donations.  The enthusiasm for Biden meanwhile is lukewarm at best. 
:shrug:

I don't see Sanders getting 50% +1 in a crowded field.

I think that Sanders has a very enthusiastic and dedicated group of supporters.  But, I think realistically, his core support is capped at about 15-20%.  One of the questions people should ask is: "Where did Sanders' support from 2016 go?"

In 2016, he was close to 50%.  But, that was in a two-person race.  I think if you dug deeper, you would find that Sanders' support came in three flavors: 1) Really liked Sanders; 2) Really hated Clinton, and 3) Really liked Sanders' platform (income inequality, healthcare, education, et al).   In 2020 - there is no Clinton, and other candidates have picked up on Sanders' key issues.*  That really just leaves the people who really like Sanders as his core support.  But, what should worry the Sanders supporters is that he effectively has lost over 50% of his support from 2016 - which suggests people are looking for a different message/messenger.

*This may be Sanders' biggest contribution to the Dem party - making these issues mainstream issues, and not fringe issues.

I got that - was more just curious about what he was doing campaign-wise, since I don't really follow him, and he does not make many headlines.  So, I did not know if he was building a foundation for a big push later on.

Admittedly I am not looking closely - but I don't sense that he has done enough over the summer to suggest he has the makings of a sleeper candidate - where he is slowly, but surely building up his campaign.

A lot can (and probably will) change over the fall - but it will take someone grabbing the race and making it their own in order to get into the conversation.
I think you’re too focused on the last couple campaigns where the slow build seems to be the pattern.  Look at where McCain was at this point in 2008.  That’s the sort of trajectory that Booker would need to pull off.

Warren and Pete.  The brilliant professor and the brilliant student.  I'm also a very big fan of Booker.

Users who are viewing this thread