What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG IDP SURV LEG 1C BALANCED (1 Viewer)

Once were done with the draft I think it would be interesting to hear everyones thought process on draft strategy and the survivor format. avoiding bye issues and whatnot.
i'm sure several of us will be doing write-ups after the draft...i always look forward to that (explaining my team construction & reading that of others)...

I really like what Bob has done with his team thus far. I think my team is shaping up pretty well but the heavy bye weeks are going to be pretty rough. I hope Gates is ready to play too.

I really like what Bob has done with his team thus far. I think my team is shaping up pretty well but the heavy bye weeks are going to be pretty rough. I hope Gates is ready to play too.
I'm curious about you mentioning Bob as one of the top teams so far. Care to expand on why?From what I see he has not handled the bye weeks very well at all. 16 players drafted so far and not one of them is a week 9 or 10 bye. Leagues like this are hard enough to win without handicapping yourself like that.

If there is one guy,

just one guy,

that is willing to take Walker in the 16th round

I hate to say it,

I hate to say it,

It's probably me.

SkyRattlers said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
I'm curious about you mentioning Bob as one of the top teams so far. Care to expand on why?From what I see he has not handled the bye weeks very well at all. 16 players drafted so far and not one of them is a week 9 or 10 bye. Leagues like this are hard enough to win without handicapping yourself like that.
I hadn't even looked at the bye weeks when I mentioned that, and I guess that might knock down my appreciation for his team a bit. I always focus heavy on bye weeks when building my own team in a league like this and this league is even more unique since it ends after week 8.I don't like his QBs, but at RB he has Lynch, Mauroney, and Edge...I think all 3 will be productive starters with top-10 potential and they don't have any overlapping bye weeks. His WRs are stacked with R.Moss, Holt, C.Johnson, Coles, and Porter. He should get some huge points from that group during most weeks. Some overlapping bye weeks could hurt, especially in week 5 when most teams will be closer to full strength. I think having 2 strong DEs are important, and he has done that with Kerney and Ogunleye. I also thought he got good value with his LBs.

Small complaint here.

Is there anyway to UPDATE the player database? I'm tired of researching the FA's only to go into the selection queue and find that there BYE weeks are different. This is extremely frustrating.

Small complaint here.Is there anyway to UPDATE the player database? I'm tired of researching the FA's only to go into the selection queue and find that there BYE weeks are different. This is extremely frustrating.
where are you researching them? at MFL or here?

Yeah I'm looking at last years top performers and looking at the bye weeks there. Usually they are not different from the draft queue but looks like I have to manipulate a few pages. Just alittle more work than I'm used to, but glad I caught it NOW lol. What a boob I am.

Once were done with the draft I think it would be interesting to hear everyones thought process on draft strategy and the survivor format. avoiding bye issues and whatnot.
i'm sure several of us will be doing write-ups after the draft...i always look forward to that (explaining my team construction & reading that of others)...
I am looking forward to seeing niradillo's thoughts on his team. Only 1 RB and 1 WR drafted in the first 11 rounds. My curiousity is piqued...

I am looking forward to seeing niradillo's thoughts on his team. Only 1 RB and 1 WR drafted in the first 11 rounds. My curiousity is piqued...
Actually it's two WR's he took Roddy White @ 7.08, but yeah I know what you mean. Maybe the thought pattern was to go heavy on the D and try to catch a few sleepers/high upside guys at RB/WR.

Actually it's two WR's he took Roddy White @ 7.08, but yeah I know what you mean. Maybe the thought pattern was to go heavy on the D and try to catch a few sleepers/high upside guys at RB/WR.
That pretty much sums it up. With all the RBBCs this year, I knew I'd get some solid RBs in the mid-late rounds. Very happy with Deuce and Bradshaw as my #2/#3 guys there.

I typically target a stud WR somewhat early, and then grab a few upside guys (ie, White, Gage) and a few deeper sleepers (TBD) later.

I've found that trying to target "upside" IDPs is far riskier than their offensive counterparts. Give me a ridiculously studly set of IDPs so I don't have to worry... and the consistent production will be there. It's imperative, at least to me, to have a team built like this. It's worked in the past (in somewhat similar formats), and I'm hoping it works here.

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sent a PM to taznib, letting him know the timer expired and that I would give him a half hour or so... didn't hear back and he didn't pick, so I picked.

Whoa!! lmao...talk about hangovers.....WOWZERS!!!!

Just so you know...I'll take Darryl Tapp with my timed out pick.

I don't think I've EVER timed out before.....weird.

tazinib1 said:
Whoa!! lmao...talk about hangovers.....WOWZERS!!!!Just so you know...I'll take Darryl Tapp with my timed out pick. I don't think I've EVER timed out before.....weird.
:clap: Dude you've got to at least let us know what you were drinking. :excited:

Unbelieveable. Steve Smith suspended by the team for the first two games and Javon Walker is attempting to retire. It will be amazing if l survive week 1. :unsure:

Unbelieveable. Steve Smith suspended by the team for the first two games and Javon Walker is attempting to retire. It will be amazing if l survive week 1. :unsure:
Ouch. Couldn't see Smith coming and we really waited on Javon. No way I would have drafted him. I did nominate him in my auction for someone else to deal with though. :football:

Donnybrook said:
Unbelieveable. Steve Smith suspended by the team for the first two games and Javon Walker is attempting to retire. It will be amazing if l survive week 1. :)
I hate to hear that. I am on pins and needles about Marshall. I've got him in my auction league as well.ETA picks updated through 34.04

I'd like to draft a guy but he is listed as a FA and according to the site, the league does not allow signing of FA players. What to do here?

I'd like to draft a guy but he is listed as a FA and according to the site, the league does not allow signing of FA players. What to do here?
Draft a player that no one would want and make a notation in the comments section who the real selection is.

Draft a player that no one would want and make a notation in the comments section who the real selection is.
I was wondering if the player is listed in mfl?
:thumbup: Let me double check that the default isn't set up to ignore all free agents.
MFL is fussing me this summer. :mellow:See if you can find your targets now.

well we got off to a slow start, but the draft is now complete. I'll try to do a recap of my draft strategy and critique what I did.

Cutler, Jay DEN QB - 8

McNabb, Donovan PHI QB - 7

Rivers, Philip SDC QB - 9

I loved the way McNabb played late last year, and I am seeking him in most formats. I knew 3 QBs would be smart, even 4, in this scoring, so I didn't wait for a massive QB run to send me searching. Rivers lack of a bye week increased his QB3 value. I like having all three going every week for the first 6 weeks too.

Graham, Earnest TBB RB - 10

Jackson, Steven STL RB - 5

Norwood, Jerious ATL RB - 7

Parker, Willie PIT RB - 6

Washington, Leon NYJ RB - 5

Missing the start of the draft cost me Peterson and that's a shame, because I am very bullish on him. Otherwise, these guys look like my targets for ppr this season. I have higher expectations for Washington and Norwood than most. Jackson and Graham should both be excellent ppr performers.

Burleson, Nate SEA WR - 4

Colston, Marques NOS WR - 9

Driver, Donald GBP WR - 8

Gaffney, Jabar NEP WR - 4

Jackson, DeSean PHI WR - 7

Johnson, Andre HOU WR - 8

Colston and AJ should give me a high quality foundation. I am bullish on Driver as the true #1 in GB, so we'll see how that works out. I feel the same way about Burleson. I did a lot of reading during this draft, and DeSean Jackson's camp reports convinced me to sign him up. For a survivor he may be very useful with huge games and disappearances... which i s what I hope for from a WR6.

Boss, Kevin NYG TE - 4

Scheffler, Tony DEN TE - 8

Not much to see here. I was hoping for Crumpler but he got sniped. Boss may be a nice suprise with Shockey gone. He apparently beefed up 20+ pounds in the offseason.

Stover, Matt BAL PK - 10

Vinatieri, Adam IND PK - 4

I thought long and hard about adding a 3rd kicker, but decided to go with the above. Stover not having a bye is nice. Another like him may have been smarter. I just don't care for kickers in this hobby of ours.

Ngata, Haloti BAL DT - 10

Geathers, Robert CIN DE - 8

Grant, Charles NOS DE - 9

Richardson, Jay OAK DE - 5

White, Dewayne DET DE - 4

Here we go. The IDPs. That DL doesn't look to impressive, does it? Lemme splain this. At DT I wanted a respectable body without a bye and Haye went before I could grab him. Ngata started coming on as an IDP late last season. He finished 8th overall among DTs but he also only trailed Haye among the top ten finishers over the last 6 weeks of the season. I like what I read about his offseason. Stay healthy big boy. I didn't want to invest much in this position.

If this was an auction, I'm pretty sure I would have Mario Williams. I rank him the top DE this year and few agree with that. After my top 6 DEs I think this position becomes muddled and I become a value seeker hoping a little stockpiling pays off. Geathers is a player I have discussed here before. I expect him to break out in a big way this season. It will be the last season I feel this way if he disappoints. Grant is an old favorite who has been down with various issues, but he took the offseason very seriously, dropped 20 pounds, and I am hopeful that he's a big surprise and back to his form from a couple years back. No bye week is nice. How far he fell is also nice. White finished 19th in this scoring last year and he was miserable playing hurt the second half of the season. Taking him as the 34th DE chosen was probably a good idea.

I'm giving Jay Richardson a paragraph of his own just to get the word out for deep dynasty IDPers. He jumped out at me a year ago as I was watching Quentin Moses struggle to make the Raiders. I inked him in as my 38th pick at the start of this draft. I'm not expecting miracles, but I do expect 7-8 sacks, and a pretty high tackle count for a DE. I won't be surprised if he slips into my starter's scoring column with regularity. The kid can really play the run and he's having a great camp. He was better last year than most thought and just a rook. I'm all popcorn to see how he works out now.

After ranking my DEs, I highlighted 7 that I thought had excellent value including Mario and I got four of them with this patient strategy. I drafted these DEs in rounds 24, 30, 33, and 38. Don't try this at home. :thumbup:

Barnett, Nick GBP LB - 8

Bradley, Stewart PHI LB - 7

Brooks, Derrick TBB LB - 10

Henderson, E.J. MIN LB - 8

McIntosh, Roger WAS LB - 10

Scott, Bart BAL LB - 10

I came into this believing I could fare well in the secondary and on the DL by being patient, but I wanted to be a little more aggressive at LB. Barnett and Henderson finished 5 and 6 in this scoring a year ago and both seem capable of repeating. I got them 8th and 17th. They share a bye. Bradley is a flyer. I think we're all kind of curious to see how he works out. Great another Eagle for this Cowboy fan to cheer on. The three week 10 bye week fellas were all penciled in early in the draft and it came together nicely. I have big play, big week potential here and hopefully fielding so many every week will bring some consistency with the two studs carrying the load. Brooks and Scott are both on fire for redemptive seasons. Brooks is old, but he's powered by Jesus and those guys live forever.

Bennett, Fred HOU CB - 8

Gay, Randall NOS CB - 9

Hill, Tye STL CB - 5

Hobbs, Ellis NEP CB - 4

Joseph, Johnathan CIN CB - 8

Atogwe, Oshiomogho STL S - 5

Hope, Chris TEN S - 6

Phillips, Kenny NYG S - 4

Weddle, Eric SDC S

I love cornerbacks. I'm pretty good at finding the sleepers. That usually happens on the waiver wire during the season. This is tougher, but I decided to be patient and give it a go. Bennett and Joseph ended last season putting up consistently nice numbers and I see them as my cornerstones. I love the way Hill, Gay and Hobbs play the game. I'm looking for big plays and that's very difficult to project. Plenty of other corners got consideration. Nnamdi Asomomma is the one I'll probably regret. He is really on fire in camp and playing along side Deangelo should help, but Florence, and both Card corners were high on my list. These were difficult decisions, so I hope I get lucky with the choices I made.

I'm not thrilled with these safeties. Ugh. Atogwe was a predrafting error. I thought I had JPhillips ahead of him. Hope should be fine helping the MLBs but not exactly an anchor like you want. Kenny Phillips is terrorizing the Giants in camp, but he probably won't start right away, and sometimes that situation lingers. I am praying they get him out there early as I think he will be very productive, like Gibril, if they do. I wub Weddle, but he is there for those odd weeks when he scores a few TDs, forces double digit fumbles, takes back a few picks, and throws some td passes. I'm excited to see how this secondary produces. But I would do differently if we did a do over.

The general strategy here was to build a solid offense around 6 pt td passes and ppr RBs and WRs. Be stout at LB, and develop a high scoring defense late in the draft. It's an old approach that paid off a few times several years ago in non survivor formats.We'll see how it works out here.

Good luck everybody. I like some of your teams almost as much as mine. :ph34r:

QBs: Roethlisberger, Delhomme. To tell the truth I wanted Brady or Romo. Drafting at 5, my first thought was to take Brady and come back with a RB but my second thought was to Addai and come back with Romo. I liked the latter option better, so I was a little surprised somewhat when Taz took him at 1.12. then again,I probably did not calculate for the week 10 bye. Rothlisburger was probably a reach looking back but he was top 6 last season and if you ignore week 17 (like I did) he would have been top 4. Hoping for a repeat of last season might be a little optimistic since his O-line is forecasted to be weaker. Delhomme is an injury risk but has the potential to a consistent scorer with the quality of WRs. Steve Smith suspension is a hard pill to swallow since it may affect Delhomme adversely as well.

RBs: Addai, McFadden, Mendenhall, Rice, and Young – Maybe a good crew in a dynasty but not sure about survivor. Hopefully, they should get their share of receptions even if they don’t all start. Rice could end up being a steal if McGahee continues to have injury problems.

WRs: Branch, Burton, Curtis, Davis, Robinson, Smith, Walker, and Reggie Williams. This is my weakest position by far - the Walker pick might have been a huge mistake and Smith suspension compounds the problem. All I can do is hand it you guys for excellent drafting. Harrison was supposed to be my third but I dragged my feet too long. I could be OK if I managed to get to week 3. After watching the HOF game yesterday, I regret leaving Randle El on the board. He might hold off those rookies longer than I guessed.

TEs: Keller, Miller, and Winslow - I like this group but I have a feeling that I may be leaving points on the bench. I need a couple of these guys to perform like wide outs. :crossfingers:

DTs: Dockett, Wilfork- What can I say I am pretty happy with these two.

DEs: Abraham, Anderson, Long, and Vanden Bosch – Abraham did surprising well in a bad situation last year. I like the reliability of Vanden Bosch. Hopefully, Anderson can return to his rookie form when he recorded 12 sacks. Usually rookie DE don’t contribute right away but I wonder if Long will benefit from having a health Little on the opposite side.

LBs: Lofton, Morrison, J. Peterson, Rivers, Smith, and A. Thomas – I could probably got Rivers and Lofton later but rookie LBs have had a tendency of coming up big in their initial season. (Well recently anyways) I like Peterson and Thomas to big play guys that will occasionally eclipse the more consistent numbers of Morrison, Rivers, and Lofton. Smith might not have been a great pick. Hopefully he can contribute somewhere this season.

CBs: Revis, Samuel, and Vasher, prepared to let the DBs slide since I knew that Vasher and Brown might be off most peoples’ radar and I could snag them late. Samuel may benefit from being on the field a little longer in Philly.

SSs: Abdullah, Alexander, Brown, and Landry –I may of got 4 starting strong safeties in this group at least according to the rumor mill. I have been outspoken on my man love for Brown even with his propensity for injury. Since were done at end of week 8, it doesn’t seem like a big gamble.

Good luck gentlemen.

I'm very pleased with the squad I was able to draft. I haven't done a survivor league in many years.

In a league where all I have to do is avoid being one of the worst two teams each week my philosophy was to make sure my players were on the field. And my first conclusion on seeing the rules of this league was to take advantage of the lack of bye week for week 9 and 10 players. 20 out of my 38 guys will enjoy that luxury. My second thought was to avoid rookies. This league only runs for 8 weeks. How many rookies ever fly out of the gates at full speed? Very, very few. The reward they represent comes at too high a price in this league.

Hasselbeck, Matt SEA QB 4

Palmer, Carson CIN QB 8

Pennington, Chad NYJ QB 5

QBs score a ton of points and in a survivor format it's crucial to ensure you'll get those points every week. Palmer and Hasselbeck are two of the leagues big gunners and both are a threat to hit 4000 yards and 25+ TDs. If Pennington can put up even 1 giant week to outscore my top two guys I'll be happy.

Bush, Reggie NOS RB 9

Dunn, Warrick TBB RB 10

Jones, Felix DAL RB 10

Portis, Clinton WAS RB 10

Kenny Watson CIN RB 8

I was very happy to see someone of Portis's talent drop to 1.11. And while a lot of the shine has worn off Bush, he is still a major player in PPR leagues. And having both Portis and Bush with no bye week is a very nice bonus. I felt it allowed me to gamble to go after talent in other positions earlier even if it meant my depth at RB suffered. Jones is the only rookie on my entire team since I really don't like to gamble with unknowns in a format like this. But if he can take a decent percentage of the carries that Julius Jones was getting then hopefully he'll put up big enough points to find his way to my starting lineup a few times. Dunn is still a good receiver and hopefully he'll have play a big role in TB if Cadillac doesn't get healthy. Watson was just a late round gamble who could get lucky again if Rudi can't stay healthy.

Cotchery, Jerricho NYJ WR 5

Crayton, Patrick DAL WR 10

Evans, Lee BUF WR 6

Ginn Jr., Ted MIA WR 4

Jackson, Darrell DEN WR 8

Ward, Hines PIT WR 6

Keary Colbert DEN WR 8

Muhsin Muhammed CAR WR 9

WR is probably my weakest position. I really didn't get one of the elite guys so I tried to make up for that by grabbing lots of next tier players. I believe I succeeded in that regard. Cotchery is very solid in PPR leagues and Ward had some very big weeks last year despite his injury problems. I've got my fingers crossed that Evans can climb back up the rankings to atleast find a middle ground between his stellar 2006 and weak 2007 seasons. With Glenn being waived Crayton should see more targets this year. Someone has to step into the #1WR role in Miami, and while I certainly don't expect huge numbers out of the Miami passing game I think 60-70 catches from Ginn is reasonable. With Brandon Marshall heading for suspension Jackson or Colbert will probably put up decent numbers for the first part of the season. And Muhammed's value took a slight jump for the first two weeks thanks to the Steve Smith suspension.

Davis, Vernon SFO TE 9

Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE 6

Very happy with my TEs. Gonzo may be older now but he can still put up 200 fantasy points a season. Davis's talent in undeniable and reports are that he is learning a lot from Martz. Hopefully that will translate into some big weeks.

Josh Brown STL PK 5

Shawn Suisham WAS PK 10

Brown has been a solid kicker in Seattle for years and now he'll get to kick in a dome for half the year. Suisham is a no bye week guy which is nice.

Gregg, Kelly BAL DT 10

Corey Williams CLE DT 5

Gregg has been one of the top scoring DTs for a couple years now. He's fairly reliable for 100+ points. Add in his lack of bye week and he was high on my want list at this position. I'm hoping Williams doesn't get reassigned to a DE before the season starts because I understand that is how Cleveland will be playing him.

Brown, Alex CHI DE 8

Tuck, Justin NYG DE 4

Luis Castillo SDC DE 9

Aaron Smith PIT DE 6

LB was my priority for my IDPs so my DEs suffered a little bit. But I was happy to get Tuck as I'm sure his numbers will improve now that he has more opportunity. lAlex Brown came on very strong late last year so hopefully that will continue. Castillo and Smith had injury problems last year but both are capable of 100+ seasons when healthy.

Davis, Thomas CAR LB 9

Johnson, Derrick KCC LB 6

Ware, Demarcus DAL LB 10

Willis, Patrick SFO LB 9

Shaun Phillips SDC LB 9

I love my linebackers. All but Johnson are no bye week guys. Which should really help maximize my points every week. Willis is a monster and will be counted on to put up consistant big numbers every week. Ware is more of a big play guy so I'm just hoping for 4-6 of those weeks in the first half of the season. Anything more would be bonus. Both Johnson and Davis are moving to WLB this year so their numbers should rise. And Phillips is a great value for the 25th round and my 5th LB.

Pacman Jones DAL CB 10

Shawn Springs WAS CB 10

Quentin Jammer SDC CB 9

I only grabbed my first CB in the 27th round so I'm quite happy to get the squad that I did. I really don't feel like to you predict who the top CBs will be. Too much volitility at the position. Jones is a bit of a gamble but reports are that he's slowly regaining his form lining up against Terrell Owens. Springs and Jammer are becoming wiley vets. And since none of them have a bye week I'm satisfied that this is not a position of weakness.

Sanders, Bob IND S 4

Williams, Roy DAL S 10

Ed Reed BAL S 10

Reed Doughty WAS S 10

The safety position was no exception to my coveting of no bye week players. Sanders, Williams, and Reed are vets that will put up their usual numbers. Doughty did a good job filling in after Taylor's death.

I've already touched on my strategy a bit in an earlier post, but just to review, it's my contention that this year is going to be unlike any other fantasy season in recent memory. I believe RB is ultra-deep due to not only a strong rookie class, but those rookies - and others - making up a host of RBBC situations that will produce multiple fantasy RB options from the same team. That said, I wanted to focus on having a ridiculously strong defense. I've been in similar survivor-style leagues with an IDP twist, and I found that having a solid defense with few "reaches" is the way to go. I think my defense will definitely carry me, and some of my defenders are not only consistent scorers, but have the ability to put up monster weeks. (Backups in italics)

QB: P. Manning, Croyle, Clemens

Manning is going to give Brady a run for the money as this year's best fantasy QB. The week 4 bye kinda sucks, but I hopefully covered myself by grabbing Croyle, who was a decent value as one of the last viable QBs taken. Croyle has a decent week 4 matchup, so hopefully I'm OK there. Clemens is nothing more than a flier and insurance.

RB: Forte, McAllister, Bradshaw, Slaton, Wright, K. Jones, Jordan

As hinted at in earlier posts, I decided to go with studs at WR, QB and IDPs early on, and wait on RB, hoping to nab a few guys I've targeted as PPR gems. Forte is really a #2 fantasy back, but with my star-studded IDPs, I have to hope for the best with Forte leading my RBs. Deuce is looking lean and mean in camp and if he can return to his 2006 form, I'm fine with him as my #2. Bradshaw, Slaton and Wright are a few of my PPR sleepers, and one of these guys could potentially be my flex (we'll start out with Bradshaw in this role). Kevin Jones is my Forte insurance and Jordan is a flier.

WR: Owens, White, Gage, Hardy, Doucet, Booker

I love me some TO, and I think he's only a smidge lower than Moss/Wayne on the WR totem pole. I see him with a nice start to the season, and the week 10 bye is nice. White is a nice #2, especially paired with Owens. Gage is a guy I really like this year, as he came on decently last season, apparently establishing a bit of a rapport with Vince Young. As the Titan offense improves, I think Gage may benefit the most. I like Hardy's situation the best of any rookie WR this season, and Doucet and Booker could help given the PPR.

TE: Heap, Lee

I'm not convinced Heap can slide back into the elite TE category given the "who knows" nature of the QB situation in Baltimore, but I think Heap's the best receiver the Ravens have. If he can stay healthy and the QB situation is somewhat steady, I think Heap can have a big year. As a backup, Lee is more than adequate, especially if Favruh makes his way back to the frozen tundra.

PK: Crosby, Mehlhaff

I like Crosby this year a whole lot, regardless of who takes snaps for the Pack. The Packers' schedule will allow him a ton of FG opportunities. And Mehlhaff has a nice matchup on Crosby's bye week.

And now, the crown jewels:

LB: Ryans, Beason, Urlacher, Briggs, Z. Thomas, Vrabel

The combo of Ryans-Beason-Urlacher is easily the best in this league, and could put up 50 points per week. Add Briggs in there, and that number could approach 60+ points per week. Thomas could flourish in his home state, and covers my Week 8 fiasco. Vrabel adds some consistency.

DE: Taylor, Schobel, Mathis

I love the 1-2 punch of Taylor and Schobel, especially since I think I got Schobel later in the draft than he should have gone. Mathis could have easily been a starter on any other team, so as a backup, I like the insurance.

DT: Harris, Holliday

I'm not big on the DT position, and always draft this position late. Harris is a beast, and might actually put up numbers this year. If he doesn't, an inspired Holliday, leading the Fin defense now, could put up suitable numbers, especially with him working as the rush end.

S: Jones, Polamalu, M. Williams, Collins

I love the Jones-Polamalu combination, but would love it more if I were convinced Polamalu is back to 100%. In case he isn't, a vastly-underrated Madieu Williams will fill in nicely. Collins is just backup fodder.

CB: Tillman, McGee, Rolle

Another nice 1-2 combo with Tillman, a bonafide stud at corner, and an underrated McGee pairing with him. In case one falters, Rolle - sneaking in as a CB on MFL - will suit me fine.

----

All in all, I would have liked a better #1 RB, but with my LB trio (or quartet, I guess), I have to be optimistic. I like my WRs and am pretty sure Manning will again put up studly numbers in this format. If a couple of my "PPR upside RBs" pan out, I will definitely have a shot.

I certainly appreciate the opportunity to take part in this league. Should be quite interesting.

this was my first survivor draft and it was a lot of fun. i'm really looking forward to the competition this season... given the competitiveness of the draft, it should be a dog fight...

overall i'm happy with how the draft turned out & like the team... i do think it has some flaws & i made a few tactical errors, but it was a learning experience... that is the good thing about leagues & threads like this... by sharing our thought processes we can collectively & collaboratively become smarter... one reason i enjoy IDP leagues in general is that it creates more ways to win, & it is interesting to see which strategies work best...

about bye weeks & positional breakdown commentary to follow...

cont. - my usual strategy is to wait on IDP, stocking up on skill position players, especially RBs with the flex, & WRs... than hit IDP hard, adding some value at QB & TE after adding some anchor IDPs at LB & DE... than zig zag through offense & defense the rest of the way... finding value where it presents itself... i try and alternate offense & defense (not necessaily every two picks, but in general), but will certainly take a few offense or defense picks in a row if the board & my existing roster dictates it... i really sloughed DB & DT, which is typical... i didn't get any willis types at LB, but i think my group will be solid & was good value where taken... no mario williams at DE, but also like the group... & though taken very late, the DB group could surprise...

clearly the strength of the offense is the RB & WR groups, which should be pretty good... i also think the TEs could be sneaky good & were good value where taken... hope the QBs can muddle through & not give up too much, as that was the price of loading up for bear at RB/WR... :excited:

as i said, this was first survivor draft for me... i had asked somebody for any general strategic pointers (i had seen some draft commentaries by dodds, & had learned some corollaries of best ball format... ie - good to have 3 QBs, sometimes you can make up for not prioritizing position like WR ((& stocking up elsewhere)) by throwing a few extra players at the problem, hoping for some of the erratic scoring to be cancelled out by some peaks occuring at same time as inevitable troughs)... anyways, byes didn't come up... :unsure: in retrospect, maybe it was considered too obvious, like not reminding people to breathe or not jump out of windows... i think especially in the mid & later rounds, i will attend to that a lot more closely in the future... i didn't realize it until about the 4th-5th round... even then, some of the players i got early (like moss, calvin johnson & maroney all with week 4 bye) were compellingly good & i couldn't resist taking on the early bye risk... if all goes well, i won't finish 8th or 9th out of 9 in week four (assuming i get to week four), & than will have those three strengthening my roster rest of the way (assuming they stay healthy)... if not, i'll be rethinking my strategy, after testing it out in this 2008 "laboratory" of ideas on survivor roster construction optimization...

hopefully i drafted well enough & have sufficient depth to have coverage AROUND some of these early byes at just about every position group...

i also should have clearly mapped out the number of starters at each positional group beforehand... 38 rounds seemed like a lot of picks, & i figured on sorting it out as i went along, but got boxed in at a few places (notably DB) late in the draft... warner as a 4th QB was a luxury that came at the expense of DB depth, as was using two picks on WAS rookie WRs... also, not sure i needed 6 LBs... also, somebody in one of the drafts took a DT with week 10 bye, which was good idea... even if they get injured, its just a DT...

12.03 - Young, Vince TEN QB - 6

15.10 - Kitna, Jon DET QB - 4

18.03 - Jackson, Tarvaris MIN QB - 8

23.10 - Warner, Kurt ARI QB - 7

young & kitna have upside... at worst, they should be decent... VY can surprise by running more (dinger was around when mcnair blossomed), & kitna throws to one of best WR tandems in the league (not TOO worried about his losing job in first two months)... warner as noted was a luxury as a QB4, which i might not have done given a do-over, though if he ends up starting will make my QBs better in a hurry, & would end up being one of most valuable players drafted at that point... all in all, though, i'd rather have the stronger DB rotation on a weekly basis as a sure thing than the maybe that warner takes over (less than 50%, but maybe like 30-40%, imo?)... waited on QB, wanted two decent ones & three starters, so took three in fairly rapid succession... not a great group, but i'm OK with it in that it enabled getting a strong RB/WR corp, which i wanted with flex & best ball format...

2.03 - Lynch, Marshawn BUF RB - 6

4.03 - James, Edgerrin ARI RB - 7

5.10 - Maroney, Laurence NEP RB - 4

19.10 - Fargas, Justin OAK RB - 5

25.10 - Morris, Sammy NEP RB - 4

like the lynch/james/maroney three headed monster... lynch could have top 5-10 upside, james could be marginal top 10 & maroney could be anywhere from top 10-20 (who knows what lurks in the heart of belichick?)... RBBC-types were petering out by the time i got fargas... he re-signed & should still have a place in the rotation even with blue-chip addition mcfadden...

1.10 - Moss, Randy NEP WR - 4

3.10 - Holt, Torry STL WR - 5

6.03 - Johnson, Calvin DET WR - 4

8.03 - Coles, Laveranues NYJ WR - 5

11.10 - Porter, Jerry JAC WR - 7

26.03 - Kelly, Malcolm WAS WR - 10

27.10 - Thomas, Devin WAS WR - 10

really like the top four WRs, & porter could have upside if his hammy gets better... took a flyer on one of the two WAS rookies emerging as a starter, though they have had setbacks in camp already which doesn't bode well... in retrospect again, asking much from any rookie WR, especially in first 8 games is asking a lot, & i would have probably done better to get one vet instead of two rookies for that slot... didn't think i'd be able to get a WR stable like this, given that i spent three top six picks at RB... these two groups should be the strength of the team & health permitting, could elevate it into the next stage (in john mclaughlin & carlos santana's evolution - avatar/logo/icon joke)...

16.03 - McMichael, Randy STL TE - 5

17.10 - Watson, Ben NEP TE - 4

rams new OC saunders has had a pro bowl TE for something like 7-8 years running, between t-gon & cooley... mcmichael should produce more like his best seasons in MIA than last years dismal effort, when he had to stay at home in pass pro often... watson is injury prone, but productive when he plays... like QB, waited but than got the second immediately after... these guys could be sneaky good... don't know if mcmichael has top 5 upside, but i expect him to finish in the TE6-8 range...

34.03 - Bironas, Rob TEN PK - 6

37.10 - Longwell, Ryan MIN PK - 8

TEN & MIN could be good enough to move the ball but might score a lot of field goals...

36.03 - Ryan, Clifton STL DT - 5

38.03 - Mebane, Brandon SEA DT - 4

this is what you get when you wait until the last three rounds to round out your DT crew (don't try this at home, kids :) ), though for me, unless you can get a guy like okoye, i'd rather just pass & take the value at other offensive & defensive positions much earlier...

9.10 - Kerney, Patrick SEA DE - 4

13.10 - Ogunleye, Adewale CHI DE - 8

20.03 - Adams, Gaines TBB DE - 10

29.10 - Harvey, Derrick JAC DE - 7

i agree with aaron's observation upthread that it is a good thing to have two very good DEs in this format, & even better to have depth in best ball... kerney & ogunleye both have top 5-10 upside & adams top 15-20, & were good value where they went... harvey may not contribute a lot (especially in the needed first eight games), if he doesn't get his contract done soon...

7.10 - Witherspoon, Will STL LB - 5

10.03 - Peterson, Mike JAC LB - 7

14.03 - Brackett, Gary IND LB - 4

21.10 - Thornton, David TEN LB - 6

22.03 - Mayo, Jerod NEP LB - 4

33.10 - Tinoisamoa, Pisa STL LB - 5

i prioritize LBs on defense about as much as RB/WRs on offense (DEs close second)... again, waited on LB but than got three in fairly rapid succession... spoon & peterson both have top 10 upside, brackett top 15-20... thornton & mayo provide bye week coverage & could have some big weeks that makes the rotation stronger on any given week... tino could be a pleasant surprise & finish in the LB30s IF he stays healthy, but as i said, five LBs might have been enough... LB is a brutal position (as is RB), so it is very possible he comes in handy if somebody gets dinged... than again, HE will probably be the most likely to get dinged early, so a questionable depth/insurance-type pick...

24.03 - Finnegan, Cortland TEN CB - 6

30.03 - Hayden, Kelvin IND CB - 4

31.10 - Griffin, Michael TEN CB - 6

32.03 - Talib, Aqib TBB CB - 10

obviously waited a long time at CB & S (though not as long as DT :) )... BTW, i'm banking on griffin being listed at S or i made a strategic error... as noted above, some of the extra offensive picks & six LBs cost me DB depth... next time, i'll draft four from each group... if griffin moves i have three each... if he doesn't i'll be hurtin for certain at S, especially during bye weeks & any injuries... that said, i like this CB group (better than safeties)... finnegan was among tackle leaders for CBs & is feisty in run support... i agree predicting INTs is near impossible, but i feel that i have a better sense of which CBs tackle well (through scouting, scheme knowledge, etc)... either hayden or marlin jackson (or both) could have top 10 upside... unlike jackson, who came into the league as a very experienced DB, hayden played some WR in college, is relatively new to the position & could still get a lot better... talib my second favorite rookie CB after flowers, & i expect him to start, get picked on & he is in tamp bay cover two... but there is risk associated with any rookie CB...

28.03 - Bethea, Antoine IND S - 4

35.10 - Pool, Brodney CLE S

bethea missed some time but projected much higher if he played a full slate of 16 games... i'm treating griffin as a safety (obviously that helps CB & hurts S if not, and probably hurts the latter more than helps the former so hoping it doesn't happen like that)... i think he has star potential, but am aware that he may have some scheme & surrounding talent (too GOOD :) ) constraints to contend with... pool was one of last viable starting safeties left, & actually could have some upside... would like to have gotten four CBs & safeties...

i count my first survivor draft as an overall success, & think the roster has more positives than negatives (strengths RB/WR & LB/DE), but could have been even better... i'll add this experience, & will definitely pre-map out the number at each defensive position more carefully next time, obviously...

good luck to everybody, & thanx for an enjoyable draft...

Breaking Down My Team:

Quarterbacks:

Pos Name Team ---Bye--- Pick---

QB David Garrard JAX ---8--- 5.06 ---

QB Trent Edwards BUFF ---6--- 21.06---

QB Jeff Garcia TBB ---5--- 22.07---

Since this was a best ball format, I wanted to stick with a few lower level QB’s that I felt had some pretty good upside. I know Garrard was a reach in the 5th, but I love his sos from weeks 4-10. He’s been creeping up a lot of draft boards and I did not want to miss out on him. He’s not going to put up any monster games, but he is a consistent performer that should improve in his second year as a starter. Edwards and Garcia are strictly bye week fodder.

Running Backs:

RB Frank Gore SF---9--- 1.06---

RB Ronnie Brown MIA---4--- 4.07---

RB Fred Taylor Jaguars JAC ---7--- 10.07---

RB Ahman Green HOU---8--- 14.07---

RB De’Shaun Foster SF---9--- 30.07---

RB Chris Brown HOU---8--- 31.06---

RB Cadillac Williams TBB ---10--- 37.06---

Going into this draft there were several great RB’s that would not have a bye week to contend with. Gore was the best one avail when I came up. I felt like Brown was a good value in the 4th since I’ve seen him going as early as the 2nd-3rd. F. Taylor and Green should be good enough for bye week coverage and provide some quality depth. Foster and Brown are cuff’s only and Cadillac was a flyer pic in the next to last round. At that point it was worth taking a shot at him.

Wide Receivers:

WR L. Fitzgerald ARZ --- 7 --- 2.07---

WR B. Marshall DEN --- 8 --- 3.06 ---

WR D. Mason --- 10 --- 9.06---

WR R. Meachem --- 9 --- 19.06---

WR James Jones GB --- 8 --- 23.06 ---

WR Steve Smith NYG --- 4 --- 24.07 ---

WR B. Stokely DEN --- 8 --- 33.06 ---

I try no to put too much emphasis on past years production, but last year there were 6 WR’s that caught 100+ balls and I came away with 3 of them. So I am happy there. Meachem, Jones and Smith are all guys I like to emerge to some degree this year. I do not expect them to reach elite status by no means, but they should be able to produce a couple good weeks and provide some good upside. Stokely was selected to try to offset the possibility of a Marshall suspension. Good thing I did.

Tight Ends:

TE J. Shockey NO ---9--- 6.07 ---

TE Desmond Clark CHI ---8--- 34.07 ---

Shockey was a guy I targeted based on the format here. I think he’ll find new life with Brees and no bye week is a huge bonus IMO. With there being no real WR threats in CHI, Olsen and Clark should still see some decent production. Clark is depth for me at best.

Place Kickers:

K Nick Folk DAL --- 10 --- 20.07 ---

There was only one kicker that I wanted here. Folk is on a high powered offense with no bye week. That’s why I made him the first kicker selected. I probably should have grabbed another in the final round for depth but hopefully it won’t bite me.

DT:

DT Shaun Rogers CLE --- 5 --- 16.07 ---

DT Jovan Haye TBB ---10 --- 18.07 ---

Rogers has a new lease on life in CLE and seems motivated. If that remains true throughout the season he is a big threat each week. Haye is a very consistent player with no bye week. He is my safety net. I missed out on the DL’s I wanted so I wanted to make up for it here.

DL:

DE Will Smith NO --- 9 --- 12.07 ---

DE D. Freeney IND --- 4 --- 25.06 ---

DE C. Clemons PHI --- 7 --- 36.07 ---

Ok so I was really trying to get Allen, but he went a few picks before me. I had targeted Smith as my DL2 so I am not real happy with him as my DL1. Hopefully Freeney and Clemons will be able to provide a good rotation as my DL2. Overall not very happy with this crew.

LB:

LB R. Lewis BAL --- 10 --- 7.06 ---

LB S. Merriman SDC --- 9 --- 8.07 ---

LB N. Koutouvides DEN --- 8 --- 17.06 ---

LB K. Wimbley CLE --- 5 --- 28.07 ---

LB M. Kiwanuka NYG --- 4 --- 35.06---

I swear every time I had a LB queued up, he went right before me. So I changed my thought pattern a little. Ray is still Ray if he’s healthy and has no bye. Merriman can provide that big play each week and Koutouvides should give me solid numbers close to DJ’s from last year. With a revamped D line in CLE I think Wimbley is poised for a huge year. Kiwi is just depth. I’m ok with this crew. It’s not what I had in mind, but it’ll due.

CB:

CB A. Cromartie SD --- 9 --- 13.06 ---

CB M. Jackson IND --- 4 --- 26.07 ---

CB E. Wright CLE --- 5 --- 27.06 ---

CB D. Rogers-Cromartie ARI --- 7 --- 32.07 ---

I love the Cromartie’s. Rogers Cromartie should get thrown at a lot and with vast improvement on CLE’s run D, those corners are going to see plenty of action. Just kinda ‘meh’ with this group.

S:

S Roman Harper NO --- 9 --- 11.06 ---

S B. Pollard KC --- 6 --- 15.06 ---

S K. Hamlin DAL ---10 --- 29.06 ---

Ok so I’m a little happier with this group. I love Harper and no bye week. Pollard came on strong in the last 8 last year and should continue to see plenty of chances. Hamlin should be a solid bye contributor and depth.

Overall Team:

:lmao: I am really torn with this team. Drafting out of the 6 hole left me scratching my head a lot. I think the team is just ok. Will probably be mildly competitive, but I don’t have a lot of faith in it making a good run. It might surprise me though. I am pretty happy offensively, but I am not just sold on the defensive side. I really hope Marshall’s suspension is not what keeps me from advancing early. Good luck everyone.

ETA.... I feel a lot better abour Garcia now that Favre is a Jet.

I'm starting to feel more uncomfortable about the Marshall pick. I might be able to survive a 2-3 game suspension, but if that changes to anything longer, I might be in a world of hurt.

This was my first survivor draft as well, and I too very much enjoyed it. Not sure how well my team will stack up, but if I can survive some early injuries, hopefully I can be competitive. Sorry for the delay in the write-up...

Without the benefit of experience, my strategy was largely focused on drafting the best value available at each pick with bias towards players with Week 9 & 10 byes for obvious reasons. My thought process was that a player was 15-20% more valuable playing 8 weeks instead of 7, so if talent was close, I chose the player with the late bye week. After taking quite a few with late bye weeks early, I got away from the plan later and focused on best player available.

11.09 129. Bulger, Marc STL QB - 5

13.09 153. Schaub, Matt HOU QB - 8

17.09 201. Leinart, Matt ARI QB - 7

Needless to say I waited on QB. I don't recommend this in a 6-pt per passing TD league, but my top targets Romo (early 2nd round) and Palmer (early 4th round) were selected just before the pick I would have taken them. At that point, I chose to wait it out and take advantage of the best ball format selecting three starters without conflicting bye weeks. Fingers crossed...

1.09 9. Barber, Marion DAL RB - 10

2.04 16. McGahee, Willis BAL RB - 10

6.04 64. Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB - 9

8.04 88. White, LenDale TEN RB - 6

30.04 352. Torain, Ryan DEN RB - 8

What I imagined would be a strength at draft time going RB-RB 1-2 (without byes) and adding Stewart and White as value picks in rounds 6 & 8. Torain was a flier in the 30th round which now obviously was a miss with the broken arm. I expect double digit TD's from Barber, 1000+ yards rushing and 40+ receptions. Was hoping Gore might fall to #9, but I couldn't complain. McGahee was a tough choice over the top WR's at #16 (and with his knee surgery apparently not a good one), but I didn't like what was staring me in the face at RB in round 3 had I gone WR. Injuries have hurt here.

4.04 40. Boldin, Anquan ARI WR - 7

5.09 57. Harrison, Marvin IND WR - 4

7.09 81. Moss, Santana WAS WR - 10

12.04 136. Jackson, Vincent SDC WR - 9

18.04 208. Clayton, Mark BAL WR - 10

25.09 297. Hester, Devin CHI WR - 8

After passing on WR in rounds 2 & 3, I felt my decision was vindicated when I was able to get Boldin and Harrison back-to-back in rounds 4 & 5. Again, I don't recommend waiting on WR in a PPR format. I selected three WR's in rounds 7-18 (all without byes) in Moss, Jackson and Clayton who I hope will perform in the best ball format. My flier pick here was Hester simply because the Bears lack quality alternatives and his return TD's might help one week. Fairly pleased considering how late I began to address the position.

3.09 33. Witten, Jason DAL TE - 10

24.04 280. Utecht, Ben CIN TE - 8

The strength of my team (yikes). You should never feel good saying TE is your strength. Witten was an early target because of his late bye week and relative value to other TE's. With Gates gimpy right now, Winslow is the only other TE in his class but doesn't have the late bye. Would have prefered to wait a round, but didn't think he would last. I really like Utecht this year (especially when I got him) as I think he fills the role of Cincy's 3rd WR much like Dallas Clark did in Indy last year. He may find his way into my flex position more than one might think.

21.09 249. Kaeding, Nate SDC PK - 9

38.04 448. Dawson, Phil CLE PK - 5

I reached a couple rounds early to take Kaeding, but had planned to take either Folk or Kaeding (the only consensus top 10 kickers without byes). After Folk went in round 20, I wasn't gonna wait and miss. I like having a 2nd kicker in this format and was fine with Dawson in the last round.

32.04 376. Williams, Pat MIN DT - 8

33.09 393. Brock, Raheem IND DT - 4

As many of us did, I waited here and was happy to get Williams and Brock in back-to-back rounds. Williams doesn't have big play potential, but is a consistent tackle guy. Just can't imagine a significant separation at this position.

10.04 112. Suggs, Terrell BAL DE - 10

16.04 184. Hali, Tamba KCC DE - 6

31.09 369. Edwards, Ray MIN DE - 8

36.04 424. Gbaja-Biamila, Kabeer GBP DE - 8

A position I wanted to address early enough that I had two solid starters with 10+ sack potential and felt like I did that with Suggs and Hali. I may have picked Suggs a round too early, but after the elite options were off the board he was a favorite (even over Trent Cole). I thought Hali was a good value in the 16th round. Had a tough time deciding between Edwards and Dewayne White in round 31 (which I thought was excellent value for either). I chose Edwards based largely on his upside as a pass rusher due to the attention the rest of the Vikings D-line should get. I wish I had picked White the very next round as my 4th DE when I had the chance. KGB is another flier with hopes that he has a 2 sack week here or there.

9.09 105. Sims, Ernie DET LB - 4

19.09 225. Greenway, Chad MIN LB - 8

20.04 232. Crowell, Angelo BUF LB - 6

22.04 256. Jackson, D'Qwell CLE LB - 5

23.09 273. Hayes, Gerald ARI LB - 7

34.04 400. Woodley, LaMarr PIT LB - 6

Sketchy in top end talent (no week-to-week studs), but I like my overall depth in this format. I really wanted Willis and was prepared to pick him in round 4, but he went just before. Had also targeted Vilma as a value pick later but he went just ahead of me as well. With those two and David Harris gone, I chose to take Sims early enough to have an anchor. I then waited and followed the best ball depth strategy selecting Greenway, Crowell, Jackson & Hayes in rounds 19-23. I liked Woodley in round 34 as a guy who could have a couple multi-sack weeks and break into my lineup. If I had one more roster spot, I would have drafted Timmons as well. Not thrilled with this group, but pleased with how it ended up considering how long I waited.

14.04 160. Clements, Nate SFO CB - 9

26.04 304. Hall, Deangelo OAK CB - 5

28.04 328. Hall, Leon CIN CB - 8

37.09 441. McDonald, Brandon CLE CB - 5

This is a group I have very high expectations for. No Cover-2 guys (my preference), but I think both Hall's have extreme big play potential. And Leon is a solid tackling corner. Deangelo should see plenty of balls his way with Nnamdi opposite him. I picked Clements earlier than I would have liked, but it was in response to a number of corners coming off the board who I would have never taken before him (especially with the late bye factored in). McDonald was my flier here simply because I think he has some talent and promises to be tested often by opposing QB's this year. I think the rookie CB theory is basically in effect with him.

15.09 177. Harris, Chris CAR S - 9

27.09 321. Huff, Michael OAK S - 5

29.09 345. Nelson, Reggie JAC S - 7

35.09 417. Sharper, Darren MIN S - 8

Much like CB I took a guy earlier then I preferred (Harris) to get an anchor at the position without a bye week. I was hoping Gibril would last, but he was gobbled up just before. I was pleasantly surprised to be able to nab a couple young and talented play-making types in Huff and Nelson so late. Their tackle numbers may not be consistent, but hopefully the format makes them more valuable if they alternate weeks with big plays. I was thrilled to get Sharper in the 35th round as my 4th safety.

So I drafted Gholston as a DE now hes a LB? I drafted Godfrey as a CB now hes a S? Now I only have 2 DE and 3 CB with 2 with same bye week. Whats the deal with that? Can it be changed after we draft?

So I drafted Gholston as a DE now hes a LB? I drafted Godfrey as a CB now hes a S? Now I only have 2 DE and 3 CB with 2 with same bye week. Whats the deal with that? Can it be changed after we draft?
Sorry, the rules clearly stated that all players were subject to change within the MFL database. In both of these cases, the player was clearly being used at a different position by his NFL team and at high risk of being changed in the database.

I went stud DE in this league with Mario Williams and Osi Umenyiora. Followed them up with Justin Smith and Marques Douglas. Figured I was set with the strongest group in the league.

Well, the season isn't even here yet and Umenyiora is done, Douglas has been moved to DT for some reason, and Smith could be headed to LB.

Which means Mario better put up a 60 solo, 20 sack season.

FBG IDP SURV LEG 1C BALANCED Week 1 Results

Bob Magaw scored 243.25 points

Aaron Rudnicki scored 208.8 points

Donnybrook scored 211.55 points

tazinib1 scored 225.95 points

SkyRattlers scored 256.05 points

buck56 scored 250 points

Chaos Commish scored 319.1 points

eric rymer scored 175.7 points

JGilesBand scored 265.5 points

kurtrudder scored 245.5 points

44 orange scored 230.45 points

niradillo scored 245.45 points

Well I was pretty unhappy with my team after the draft and now I can see why.

eric rymer said:
Well I was pretty unhappy with my team after the draft and now I can see why.
Looked like a good team to me. Just tough luck. I have 8 wide receivers and only one of them scored a total of 3.7 points. I will be joining you on the sidelines next week.

The suspended Steve Smith Brandon Marshall combo was too much to overcome this week. You took your chances. Look how my team scored. Rymer was my nemesis in this draft. There's a lot of luck involved in FF. It gets amplified in survivor formats.

Users who are viewing this thread