What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG's Philly/Balt/Wash area auction league (2 Viewers)

If possible I'd like to get my name added on your waiting list. Found out that one of your members, Kenlin, and I are from the same hometown so I might could talk him into carpooling should I get a spot in the future. From what I've read here it sounds like a really good competitive league and I'm all for that. Thanks for giving me any consideration to your waiting list. :)

Unfornuately I wouldn't be able to do the league this year. I have two upcoming surgeries, one at the end of June and one in July at U.of MD. hospital. Still would like to get on a list for next year or future openings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice that we have a growing number of FFA posters in the league. Maybe we can get up a rousing argument on national health care or tax rates during food breaks. I'll be on whatever side you need me to be to jumpstart the debates. :goodposting:
:goodposting: Let's not pollute a draft with such nonsense! Fantasy drafts are for good food, good friends, beer, and maybe a stripper or two....no politics!

I notice that we have a growing number of FFA posters in the league. Maybe we can get up a rousing argument on national health care or tax rates during food breaks. I'll be on whatever side you need me to be to jumpstart the debates. :thumbup:
:banned: Let's not pollute a draft with such nonsense! Fantasy drafts are for good food, good friends, beer, and maybe a stripper or two....no politics!
Well, let's get one liberal stripper and one conservative one. :goodposting:

roarlions said:
I think we might actually be able to put together 2 leagues with the way interest is building.
the ##### is 1 set of auction equipment/software/screen, etchey, can you get on that roadkill?after all, this is your baby---'least the idea! :excited:oh, and Fearsome leader---league is paid for :thumbup:

I think we might actually be able to put together 2 leagues with the way interest is building.
the ##### is 1 set of auction equipment/software/screen, etchey, can you get on that roadkill?

after all, this is your baby---'least the idea! :shrug:

oh, and Fearsome leader---league is paid for ;)
Ravnz on top of things, as usual. Waiting list is growing. 2 leagues might merit some consideration.

Well, fellas, I quite possibly have a solution to end all solutions...I'm a 'facilitator' by nature, so forgive my ramblings, but hear me out...

First of all, you guys remember that I have access to this Software as well, so I'm almost 100% sure I can arrange for us to have a 2nd Set available to facilitate 2 Drafts...our Date will have no conflict with any of the other Leagues I know of that might be using that set of Software...

...Second, I have a location where we could hold 2 Drafts simultaneously, as long as no one minds going to a Sports Bar in Bethesda, MD, which is just a few miles (5 or so) SouthWest of where the Draft is currently being held. It's an easy run down Georgia Ave through Olney, onto Conneticut Ave right past 270, onto Jones Bridge Road for a mile or two and into downtown Bethesda.

One of my Best Friends, and longtime Partner in the longest-running FF League I've been in (established 1989) owns Caddies On Cordell...THE place to watch Sports in SW Montgomery County, particularly NFL Football.

The League I mentioned above holds it's Draft there every year - two 12-Teamers, one upstairs, one downstairs.

They actively recruit FF Leagues to hold Drafts there.

So, the mechanism is already in place to do this (Software and Location), tried and true many times before.

As we did last year, it's probably mandatory that we hold the Draft on a Sunday, to minimize any kind of intrusions from people and noise - Sunday afternoons prior to Football Season are quiet there...

I will be happy to 'run point' on this - and arrange for the Location and 2nd set of Software, if the League decides this is a worthy solution.

Happy to lend a helping hand to the development of a real life FBG's Cornhole!

How does this sound?

Well, fellas, I quite possibly have a solution to end all solutions...I'm a 'facilitator' by nature, so forgive my ramblings, but hear me out...First of all, you guys remember that I have access to this Software as well, so I'm almost 100% sure I can arrange for us to have a 2nd Set available to facilitate 2 Drafts...our Date will have no conflict with any of the other Leagues I know of that might be using that set of Software......Second, I have a location where we could hold 2 Drafts simultaneously, as long as no one minds going to a Sports Bar in Bethesda, MD, which is just a few miles (5 or so) SouthWest of where the Draft is currently being held. It's an easy run down Georgia Ave through Olney, onto Conneticut Ave right past 270, onto Jones Bridge Road for a mile or two and into downtown Bethesda.One of my Best Friends, and longtime Partner in the longest-running FF League I've been in (established 1989) owns Caddies On Cordell...THE place to watch Sports in SW Montgomery County, particularly NFL Football.The League I mentioned above holds it's Draft there every year - two 12-Teamers, one upstairs, one downstairs.They actively recruit FF Leagues to hold Drafts there.So, the mechanism is already in place to do this (Software and Location), tried and true many times before.As we did last year, it's probably mandatory that we hold the Draft on a Sunday, to minimize any kind of intrusions from people and noise - Sunday afternoons prior to Football Season are quiet there...I will be happy to 'run point' on this - and arrange for the Location and 2nd set of Software, if the League decides this is a worthy solution.Happy to lend a helping hand to the development of a real life FBG's Cornhole!How does this sound?
I know it's only a minor quibble, but there's no way that downtown Bethesda is only 5 miles from Glenelg. It's more like 25. That's not too important, though. At least not to me. What is important is the date. It took us awhile to arrive at August 1st, which is a Saturday. I don't see us changing that, especially since a few folks (including THE MAN) have ruled out the Sundays of August.

Whoa, getting complicated.

From an auction system standpoint, having 2 of 'em is a must to make this all happen as they have their limitations. My system can handle 18 users but only one player pool, for instance.

LOL at my sense of distance...I'm basing that on my trip to last year's Draft. I live right on the edge of Olney/Sandy Spring/Brookville, and it only took me 15 minutes to get to the House. It only takes me 15 minutes to get to Bethesda from the same place...but you have to go through one to get to the other. Call it euphoria...or maybe I'm just feeling 41...

...in any case, yes, it's probably 1/2 hour SouthWest of Glenelg, but very accessable to all sorts of speedy main routes in and out for ease of arrival and departure from/to anywhere.

...I didn't even think about what DAY the Draft was on - I just assumed it was a Sunday because last year's Draft was, IIRC...

..in any case, it doesn't matter - Saturdays in Summer/August are very quiet there as well during the day/afternoon. Saturday Nights are another story, but those don't get going until later, especially if the weather is nice...

...also, August is a HUGE Vacation month for the Bethesda Social Set (I know this from years, years and more years of working in the Restaurant Business down there) - August is the deadest month of the year, so it's not likely there'd be any issues with noise/distractions. Plenty of folks will simply not be around...and since most of them call vacation Ocean City/Dewey/Rehobeth/Bethany, it's not like the economy is going to affect their travel plans...

...finally, the upstairs is completely isolated and can be cut off, while Drafts held downstairs are held in the dining area which is in the rear of the 1st Floor, behind the bar area and patio. Plenty of room and separation from where most others will be. I've drafted there several times with no issues whatsoever!

It's really perfectly designed to hold 2 Drafts, and as I've said, with my buddies software in tow, we now have 2 Sets available to support 2 independent Drafts, should this continue to develop and move forward!

PS: Caddie's has a bevy of cute waitresses, and is a certified 'Home for the Hotness' when it comes to Bethesda Bars and Pubs, so it's likely there will be some quality eye candy around and about...

...I mean, if you're interested in that sort of thing... :goodposting:

Jeez this thread is almost out of control....

I need a roll call here.

I can double check with both of my guys but they are slow to commit to anything just yet.

Let's see who we have so far?

Jeez this thread is almost out of control....I need a roll call here.I can double check with both of my guys but they are slow to commit to anything just yet. Let's see who we have so far?
See post #59. We're ready to roll with 14 or 16.
Hey Jeff, just a though here...Why wait on guys who are slow to Commit, when there are six alternates who are willing to Commit right now? 14 Commitments + 6 Alternates = 20 Members = 2 10-Teamers, with the chance to grow 'em accordingly.There's an opportunity here to collectively group together 20 FBG's at a minimum. That's really something. Why not start with that as a base and only grow the # between now and August 1, rather than only have 14-16 and possibly exclude some enthusiastic potential Owners and lowering the #'s of the potential Cornhole?20 FBG's minimum is really an achievement worth striving for, but that's just me...

***NEWS FLASH/THIS JUST IN:

For someone who's more or less an Auxilliary Member of the League, I seem to be getting invested at some level in the evolution of the League, therefore I'm going to jump on in too...sort of.

Put me on the Waiting List as #24. I've got a buddy that's wanted to do an Auction League for quite some time, and in Partnership with him, I will act as his guide and mentor as he learns the ropes this Season.

So, if we don't get to 24 Teams, I will still be able to stand in as surrogate for any one Team not able to make the Draft, and I will do so gladly.

If we get to 23 Teams, I'll be the 24th.

That would give us two 12-Teamers.

The thing is, I just don't like to play in Leagues of fewer than 12-Teams, so I'm only in if the League(s) is/are 12 or more Teams.

Of course, I'd be willing to be #22 if you all decided to have a 12-Teamer and a 10-Teamer, as long as I'm included in the 12-Teamer.

I'm fine with 2 leagues, two tiers, whatever.... I'm just not sure of the headcount at this point.

I also didn't want to push again on my two possible candidates if there's already enough interest.

WoW, has this gone crazy in the last 48 hrs! :confused:

I'm firm on the date, flexible on lacation---my honey works Saturday, we play golf Sundays, 'til the weekend after Labor Day ;)

if I mess w/that, I'm looking for alternative housing, if you know what I'm sayin!

I'll be getting w/Fear-t-Turtle to iron this out...more to follow

WoW, has this gone crazy in the last 48 hrs! :goodposting:
You're not kidding. If it matters, I'm flexible on location/league setup though - given a choice - Glenelg (why is the 2nd "g" silent?) is much closer for me than Bethesda. However, we haven't heard from FTT since many of these new ideas have surfaced & I'd be interested in hearing his thoughts since he's our guiding light.Oh, and just how much beer will roadkill drink? I have a flatbed here at work we can use if common passenger vehicles can't carry it all.

WoW, has this gone crazy in the last 48 hrs! :moneybag:
You're not kidding. If it matters, I'm flexible on location/league setup though - given a choice - Glenelg (why is the 2nd "g" silent?) is much closer for me than Bethesda. However, we haven't heard from FTT since many of these new ideas have surfaced & I'd be interested in hearing his thoughts since he's our guiding light.Oh, and just how much beer will roadkill drink? I have a flatbed here at work we can use if common passenger vehicles can't carry it all.
After 18 or so Millers I can no longer type and will instead collapse giggling upon my keyboard, bringing the auction to a grinding halt.

roadkill1292 said:
WoW, has this gone crazy in the last 48 hrs! :excited:
After 18 or so Millers I can no longer type and will instead collapse giggling upon my keyboard, bringing the auction to a grinding halt.
That's a riot.......I can't wait to meet all of you guys! YES, I'm including myself and Domination in the mix as potential participants this year in a second league. We have no problems heading down to Bethesda. The bar nittanylion mentioned sounds sweet.......I luv me some eye candy!!!!Rody

roadkill1292 said:
WoW, has this gone crazy in the last 48 hrs! :gang2:
Miller straight? The Champagne of Beers?Just wanna make sure. I have to run the flatbed across the scales & some beer weighs more than others. But then again, bribing the cops isn't out of the question.

If possible I'd like to get my name added on your waiting list. Found out that one of your members, Kenlin, and I are from the same hometown so I might could talk him into carpooling should I get a spot in the future. From what I've read here it sounds like a really good competitive league and I'm all for that. Thanks for giving me any consideration to your waiting list. :yes:Unfornuately I wouldn't be able to do the league this year. I have two upcoming surgeries, one at the end of June and one in July at U.of MD. hospital. Still would like to get on a list for next year or future openings.
Ghost, sorry to hear of the surgeries. I'll take you off the list this year and place you at the top of the waiting list for next. You're still welcome to attend the auction if you're up to it. Best of luck.

After reading this new flurry of interest. I had an idea.

Since the primary goal of the league seems to be just getting together and meeting other FBG's, it would be nice to keep it to one league and one auction so we are all in the same room. But at the same time include as many FBG's as possible.

So here's the idea: What if everybody partnered with someone on a team? It looks like getting to 24 or 28 may not be a problem. Partners could talk before the draft to strategize and then manage the team together. Then the following year everyone could maybe have a different partner than the year before.

This is just a suggestion to think about.

After reading this new flurry of interest. I had an idea.Since the primary goal of the league seems to be just getting together and meeting other FBG's, it would be nice to keep it to one league and one auction so we are all in the same room. But at the same time include as many FBG's as possible. So here's the idea: What if everybody partnered with someone on a team? It looks like getting to 24 or 28 may not be a problem. Partners could talk before the draft to strategize and then manage the team together. Then the following year everyone could maybe have a different partner than the year before.This is just a suggestion to think about.
That's how my local redraft is. Almost every team has two owners. Most of us used to work together so it's our way of "forcing" ourselves to stay in touch as we've scattered all over the place now. Several years ago, one member broached the idea of expanding into two leagues & it met with an almost unanimous "no" for the very reason you state, Ken - it was more important to most of us to continue to get everyone in the same room once a year than it was for everyone to run their teams individually.As for this league, I'd be more than happy partnering up with someone if that's what you guys want to do.

Felt we needed to move this Post to this page...tired of always having to go back/forth...

In for August 1:1. ravnzfan2. Fear The Turtle3. roarlions4. Rayderr5. CommuterMan6. Uruk-Hai7. pablito8. Jeff P.9. renesauz10. Go DC Yourself11. philly fanatic12. Kenlin13. Dayton14. Max/nittany15. Guest #116. Guest #2Insurance/auctioneer/man-about-town: roadkill1292Alt: fatness The Man Soaring Eagle Domination Ruffrodys05 Nittany's protege
The above list absolutely blows me away. I don't think it should be lost on anyone that we have an opportunity here to gather an incredibly large # of FBG's in one place at one time, for FF Purposes.To me, that's a really big deal, and we shouldn't let anything get in the way of that.The Partnership Idea is worth discussion of Pros and Cons:1. We have 100% Return of Owners from last Season to the best of my knowledge. They are returning, in a large part, because of the 'League Way' that was established last year. Changing the # of Teams isn't a big deal, because from the time the League was formed, expansion was part of the Game Plan. Changing the 'way we do business' - scoring system, starting lineups, etc. - changes League Fundamentals, and is probably something that will have to be voted on, or agreed to by an overwhelming consensus. All of the Founding Owners acted as 'independent contractors', and may be hesitant to partner up with anyone else due to having their own independent 'business plans' for success. Especially after having had an Offseason to think about what they could have done last year to improve their fortunes.2. In regards to the 'independent contractor' idea - we're all FBG's, not casual Players, so I'm sure we all are very confident in our individual knowledge bases/skill sets, and there may be some reluctance to compromise/share strategy when most of us think, (and rightly so) that we're pretty darn good at this on our own, and don't 'need' a Partner.3. There's money involved. Granted, it's not much, but it's money nonetheless, and when there are stakes other than bragging rights on the line, many folks, myself included, want to win or lose it on their own. There are only two people in my FF world I'd willingly partner up with for significant stakes. One has been my best friend for life (who will be my partner in this League, AND who owns Caddies), and the other is the guy I've won thousands of $$$ in High Stakes FF over the last 4 Years. Otherwise, I'd want to interview a prospective Partner pretty thoroughly before deciding if the 'fit' was a good one, and moving forward. Being a surrogate is different - Jim and I 'clicked' really well in our predraft consult, but in the end, my only job was to exercise his will at the Draft...and I'd happily do that for any of you.NOW, ALL THAT BEING SAID - there's a fun way to do this that might be enjoyable for everyone:1. We'd have to have 20 Owners, minimum (to make 10 Teams).2A. We have a pre-Draft social get-together, where everyone can kind of get to know each other, AND we put all the Owner's Names into a hat, and hold a Drawing, so that the Partnerships are completely random.***I'm not talking about anything more than a 'Happy Hour'-type thing at a convenient watering hole - not some kind of time consuming affair. With enough advance planning (and we have over a month to do this) for those of you who require spousal 'hall passes', it could easily be on a weeknight after most folks are done working, like a 6-8 thing...2B. If we couldn't all get together, we could roll dice - but I can't see how we all couldn't find one evening in July to get out and meet up for a few hours, if we started planning it now. I mean, for all intents and purposes, this is a Local League, and Local Leagues are kind of principled around at least SOME 'face time'. We could find a place equidistant from the furthest guys out, and plan accordingly. I'll take on the role of 'Julie, your Cruise Director', and make all the arrangements if this is something you guys want to do. Quite simply, it's what I do - I'll make it happen, and do it well.3. Everyone uses the time between the Social Get Together/Drawing/Dice Roll to collaborate with their Partner on their Team Draft Strategy for August 1.4. Next Season, we throw everyone in the hopper again, and randomly distribute Partners again, etc. - maybe earlier in the Year, like shortly after the SuperBowl, at an event designed to distribute prizes, praise, ridicule and ribbing.I think this could work for 3 Reasons: First, although there's $ involved, it's not all that much. The buy in is low enough that we can add an element of uncertainty if it's introduced as a random event. Second, We're all FBG's, so there's a common base of knowledge shared between us, and a random drawing for Partners would do away with any perceived political BS, etc that might go along with each of us choosing our own Partners. Third it strengthens the overall community by promoting interpersonal relationships among the Members.Finally:Caddies on Cordell in Bethesda is built to have Drafts, and can have multiple Drafts going at the same time - I've Drafted there for at least the last 5 Years, and it always goes flawlessly.I have access to a second Set of Draft Software, so two Drafts could theoretically be conducted in exactly the same manner, at exactly the same time. Not only that, I'm pretty sure I can arrange for a second experienced Auctioneer to be there as well, so Roadkill doesn't have to be in 2 Places at once, or someone with a Team doesn't have to be running the software and bidding at the same time.Again, getting FBG's together like this is a big deal, IMO. I'd like to see us get together the biggest group possible no matter what it takes to get it done. I'm willing to commit as much time and energy (and probably some money, too) as necessary to accomplish this.

A few questions about the draft last year, since I couldn't be there. How long did the draft take? Was there much wasted time, or was the time spent efficiently?

What I'm thinking - I prefer running my team without a partner, but would really like to meet as many FBGs as possible. Would it be possible to take up nittanylion's suggestion about 2 simultaneous drafts, but then allot some time either before or after the drafts for all of us to hang out together? If we did something like this, it seems like hanging out after the drafts would be more fun, as everyone could discuss what happened and talk about strategies, etc., which would be less likely to happen before the drafts.

A few questions about the draft last year, since I couldn't be there. How long did the draft take? Was there much wasted time, or was the time spent efficiently?What I'm thinking - I prefer running my team without a partner, but would really like to meet as many FBGs as possible. Would it be possible to take up nittanylion's suggestion about 2 simultaneous drafts, but then allot some time either before or after the drafts for all of us to hang out together? If we did something like this, it seems like hanging out after the drafts would be more fun, as everyone could discuss what happened and talk about strategies, etc., which would be less likely to happen before the drafts.
These are some good thoughts/ideas/questions.Two leagues with some social time after may be a good way to go.As for time - the auction actually runs very smoothly and efficiently. I can't remember exactly but I think it takes around three hours. We had to spend a considerable amount of time hammering out the rules before we got started. But once you get started it rolls along pretty good. There is really not much time for chat. You are either bidding or refining your strategy almost the whole time.My idea of partnering was simply a thought I had as a way of trying to be as inclusive as possible. When it comes right down to it, I'd rather manage my own team as well. But I can see pros and cons for each idea.

I'm fine with 2 leagues, two tiers, whatever.... I'm just not sure of the headcount at this point.I also didn't want to push again on my two possible candidates if there's already enough interest.
Just reiterating this at this point.I happened to win last year, but even I know that the main goal of this was social interaction with FBGs. The league could certainly improve on that, but geography is a challenge.I'm fine with a larger group and splitting up into two drafts / auctions or whatever we decide. The winnings were nice, but it'd be better to increase the group interaction.

Jeff Pasquino said:
I'm fine with 2 leagues, two tiers, whatever.... I'm just not sure of the headcount at this point.I also didn't want to push again on my two possible candidates if there's already enough interest.
Just reiterating this at this point.I happened to win last year, but even I know that the main goal of this was social interaction with FBGs. The league could certainly improve on that, but geography is a challenge.I'm fine with a larger group and splitting up into two drafts / auctions or whatever we decide. The winnings were nice, but it'd be better to increase the group interaction.
If we're after increased FBG social interaction, I'd prefer that we expand to 2 leagues rather than go the forced partner route. As a few others have stated, I'd rather manage my own team although other owners can opt to partner up if they'd like. Don't know the thoughts of the waiting listers about this.As for the geographic challenge, the Glenelg site can support 2 simultaneous auctions. We'd just need nittany to provide the second auction system. The downtown Bethesda bar is also no problem for me but I'd really like to hear from the Frederick, Hagerstown, Westminster, Baltimore, and, especially, Pennsylvania contingents on this.

I'm in enough leagues at this point, but if I'm in town the weekend you choose I'll rally to meet up with some FBGs. Seems like I'm in a league with at least half the guys on that list...

I don't think I could climb aboard the partnering wagon. I could see that working in a low money work league, but most of us are practically strangers (even if the league is low money).

Location is no issue to me. I'll be driving a long way either way.

Thoughts from Myself (Pennsburg, PA) and Domination (Reading, PA)........

1. Attendance/Location/Date:

Mainly we are interested in coming down to meet you fellow FBGs no matter if we are able to participate or not. Location is not an issue as we also will be traveling a decent distance (140-150+ miles one way, about 2-1/2 to 3 hours) to get to Glenelg or Caddies, or any other location if we're permitted to attend, so it's basically all the same to us. (I don't recall the exact day being an issue with Dom, but for some reason I think a Sunday draft day wouldn't work for him. If the date stays August 1, we're there. If it moves to Sunday, I think we likely will not be there. (I need to double check with him today and I will edit this post later with a verification.)

2. Participation/Partners:

If we were able to participate in any drafting of teams, I know we would each probably prefer to run our own teams. This would not be a prerequisite to our participation though. If we were to partner up with someone, we would most likely choose each other vs. a random partner, as we are very familiar with each others flaws, tendencies, likes and dislikes. That being said, we wouldn't be opposed to partnering up with another individual either, should this be the way things played out (if we were able to draft.)

3. July Social:

As far as a PRE meet-n-greet, we probably wouldn't do that. 6+/- total hours of driving for a few hours socializing is what we're willing to do on draft day, which I believe currently stands at Saturday, August 1. If this pre-meet occurs and the league is choosing random partners, we have no problem with someone else picking our partners for us. Any other type of partner selection process (dice roll?) is no problem either.

To Summarize:

If all that Dom and I do is come down to enjoy the socializing, meet you guys in person and drink a few beers, we'll be very happy! If we also get to draft a team/teams with a partner or not, all the better.

Rody

Jeff Pasquino said:
I'm fine with 2 leagues, two tiers, whatever.... I'm just not sure of the headcount at this point.

I also didn't want to push again on my two possible candidates if there's already enough interest.
Just reiterating this at this point.I happened to win last year, but even I know that the main goal of this was social interaction with FBGs. The league could certainly improve on that, but geography is a challenge.

I'm fine with a larger group and splitting up into two drafts / auctions or whatever we decide. The winnings were nice, but it'd be better to increase the group interaction.
If we're after increased FBG social interaction, I'd prefer that we expand to 2 leagues rather than go the forced partner route. As a few others have stated, I'd rather manage my own team although other owners can opt to partner up if they'd like. Don't know the thoughts of the waiting listers about this.As for the geographic challenge, the Glenelg site can support 2 simultaneous auctions. We'd just need nittany to provide the second auction system. The downtown Bethesda bar is also no problem for me but I'd really like to hear from the Frederick, Hagerstown, Westminster, Baltimore, and, especially, Pennsylvania contingents on this.
Fear-the-Turtle and I will being staying in close contact w/each other on this over the next few days....with the draft just over 6 weeks out:--understand that the date (12 noon, Saturday August 1st) is locked in---that will not be changing...people have planned around this date for months and it works for everyone committed at this point--to change it would have an adverse affect on attendance

--with the degree of difficulty as high as it is to gather once, I'm inclined to pass on trying to get together before the draft...w/a couple holidays between now and then, vacations, etc, I don't see us being able to find a date that would work, nor do I see those that are over 100 mi from here wanting to do this twice

--I'm leaning strongly toward Glenelg as the location, given the ability to run 2 drafts at once...I'd like to see us develope a consistancy in what we do if we are going to continue this, and using the last Sat in July or 1st in Aug as a date and Glenelg as the host site starts to root us

--I'm OK w/the partnering concept---that would be in the interest of keeping us in 1 league this season...if you are OK w/working with a partner, shoot me a PM and we can see how many folks can pair up...I'll need to know this well in advance of the draft, as it determines if we hold 1 draft or 2---I'll be available early draft Saturday to assist F-t-T in setup, assuming Glenelg location

--if we go to 2 drafts, I'll work w/Johnny on who runs the software he'll be providing..we'll revist this once we make a determination on 1 or 2 drafts

feedback on partnering is the next critical info required, so that we can plan on the logistics of 1 draft vs 2...the system allows for 16 teams, if we can pair up 5 or 6 of them, we should be able to operate under 1 league w/most everyone that is interested

I'll be coming down from Hanover, PA, it doesn't matter to me where the draft is, we do this once a year so I don't mind any driving on that particular day. I'll probably be riding down with Roadkill like we did last year. As long as I have a date and time, location doesn't matter.I would prefer to run my own team, but I am cool with either way. I'm in this to socialize and meet fellow FBG's as much as to play.

I think I'm the cause of any confusion about the Date, and I apologize if that's the case.

I seem to recall last year's Draft being held on a Sunday, and without looking at the calendar just assumed that August 1st fell on a Sunday as well, which is why I referred to Sunday in one of my earlier Posts.

It was agreed upon long ago, after much discussion among the Founding Members, to hold the Draft on August 1st...SATURDAY, August 1st.

Again, my apologies if I contributed to any confusion regarding this.

Regardless of where the Draft is held, I WOULD like to arrange a CornHole (for those of you unfamiliar with the term - it refers to a face-to-face Social Gathering of FBG's) at some point before the Draft, or the Season begins. Such a gathering would have only as much or little focus on the League as those who can attend desire.

Ultimately, to be as inclusive to everyone involved with the League as possible, I'd like to select a location that falls equidistant from the furthest folks out who would like to attend, so I'd like to get an idea of where everyone is located so I can conduct a study (read: scope out some cool bars) where I can set up a Happy Hour of sorts for us to gather...

Also: File this under 'How I Spend my Football Sundays' - I'll be at Caddies every Sunday during Football Season (yes, all 17 Weeks) from 11AM - 11PM (as well as the two weeks prior - I'm getting older and it requires a few weeks of training to get ready for those marathons) with laptop with Wireless LAN Card in tow. My best bud Andy, the Owner, who'd also be my Partner in the League, works the Bar on Sunday, and he's a great guy to know. Anyone is welcome to join me, at any time. PM me and I'll shoot you my cell #. BTW, Football Sundays at Caddies can be a lot like a Friday or Saturday Night at Caddies - there's often a fair share of hotness present, as well as a bunch of gung-ho Football Fans...but there are plenty of TV's - at least 30 last time I checked, so no matter what else you're ogling, you can keep your eyes on what's going on with the NFL - it actually makes for pretty good cover!

Nothing like watching NFL in the company of quality Football Fans, FBG's, and with hotness present, to boot!

All are welcome!

Man, I gotta check in more than evrey week or two! Took me 15 minutes to catch up.

Fully verify Johnny's take on Caddie's... as a Bethesda resident myself it will work great.

@this point we're still looking to run 1 league/1draft, @Glenelg location

we are trying to get as many people involved as possible, so if you are willing to co-own a team, please shoot me a PM and we'll get as many owners together that will split a squad as want to---this is not mandatory, but in the interst of getting as many as you knuckleheads together as possible, let's have a few friends pair up on the ownership end

also...

Johnny and I are working on putting a FBG Social on sometime before the draft...possible dates include a Saturday afternoon (July 11th or 18th, ~2PM), or say a Monday/Tuesday evening for Happy Hour (July 13th/14th, ~6PM)

location...Howard County, MD---off Rt's95/100/29, either Columbia or Ellicott City

if you're interested in meeting up w/some FBG's for some :popcorn: and whatnot, drop us a line and we'll do our best to get as many folks together as possible

ravnzfan said:

we are trying to get as many people involved as possible, so if you are willing to co-own a team, please shoot me a PM and we'll get as many owners together that will split a squad as want to---this is not mandatory, but in the interst of getting as many as you knuckleheads together as possible, let's have a few friends pair up on the ownership end

also...

Johnny and I are working on putting a FBG Social on sometime before the draft...possible dates include a Saturday afternoon (July 11th or 18th, ~2PM), or say a Monday/Tuesday evening for Happy Hour (July 13th/14th, ~6PM)

location...Howard County, MD---off Rt's95/100/29, either Columbia or Ellicott City

if you're interested in meeting up w/some FBG's for some :lmao: and whatnot, drop us a line and we'll do our best to get as many folks together as possible
Would love to do the happy hour of an evening. Our summer weekends tend to be over-scheduled...

This thread read more like a book at this point, which isn't such a bad thing at all.

Mike (Bro-in-law) is out for the league. I am still waiting on #2 mystery guest.

I say roll with the date as we're locked in on it anyway and we'll try to get 2 leagues together.

Let me know ASAP when the get-together in Howard County is, as that's easy for me to attend.

Thanks.

Just checking in again...I'll know by the end of the week if I'm going to make it to the draft. If I can't just remind me what the settings were so I can get a draft list to Nittany.

I forgot what our total roster size was. 18?

Still looking to do bestball with $250 pot?

Social/CornHole Update: Monday, July 6th Noon

OK, so we're going to try and get as many FBG's together for a Weeknight Happy Hour-type thing as we can...

Place: Wanted to try and do this at an Owner Operated Small Business type place as opposed to a 'Cookie Cutter Chain' type place (I'm both in the Biz, and a huge Small Business proponent, especially in the Restaurant Biz), but wanted to find a place attractive to all, that's accessible to as many folks as possible. Right now a combination of all those factors looks to be...

Clyde's of Columbia

Time: Most folks who have contacted me indicate that a WeekNight Happy Hour is preferable to them over a Weekend Day/Night - that's completely understandable, as most folks have WeekEnd plans that take precedence during the Summer months...

We agreed that we'd like to do this prior to the Draft. As of right now, a Monday Night appears to be a reasonable night to do this...

Two Dates up for consideration - we also could have 2 of these, one on each Monday:

July 13

July 20

I have no issues being at Clyde's of Columbia on both Monday Nights for as many folks as can make either, or both.

Would like to solidify things, and then make a General Announcement both in the Shark Pool and the FFA.

Looking for more thoughts from the Peanut Gallery!

Sorry I haven't been participating in the thread, but still plan on playing, and with Babe Ruth baseball winding down I can start preparing. What team is Jay Cutler with now, lol?

I'm cool with what the majority wants to do. Bethesda is closer for me, but I joined knowing the auction was in the B-more area, so I'll be there. I've never partnered on an auction in any sport, but can do so if necessary. If you need bodies for a second league let me know in the next week or so, and I may be able to get one or more from my local league, or maybe even my nephew in Harrisburg. As for a pre-auction meetup in Columbia on one of the next two Mondays, doubtful I can swing that but will try. If the DC contingent wants to do something more local, I'd be more likely to make that. If anyone is a fan of Dogfish beer, the Falls Church restaurant is within stumbling distance of my house.

Since I am new to the league I have no problem parterning, as long as it with someone local (DC area) so we could meet to discuss some things. I looked on the site and could not find the team salary cap information. I'd like to get started on figuring out how many dollars (number of teams X salary cap) will be chasing how many players (size of rosters aquired at auction). Thanks.

also...

if you're interested in meeting up w/some FBG's for some :banned: and whatnot, drop us a line and we'll do our best to get as many folks together as possible

Since I am new to the league I have no problem parterning, as long as it with someone local (DC area) so we could meet to discuss some things. I looked on the site and could not find the team salary cap information. I'd like to get started on figuring out how many dollars (number of teams X salary cap) will be chasing how many players (size of rosters aquired at auction). Thanks.
Amen to that.

:confused: What site? We have a site? :confused:

%$&^#@@

It appears that I have to be in Atlanta the week before the draft. My flight back is scheduled to arrive late Saturday p.m. I haven't received our agenda yet, so I'm not sure if we're done Friday or Saturday. If we're going to be finished on Friday, I'm going to try & change my flight to that evening. If we actually have to work Saturday, I'm screwed for the auction.

It looks like we have more willing participants than spots, so I shouldn't be leaving the league hanging (I hope). I'm more pissed because I really wanted to do this. I also was looking forward to meeting you all, though that still may happen anyway if I get in early enough.

@^#$&^&&

On another note, do we have a pre-auction Happy Hour set up yet?

Users who are viewing this thread