What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG'S TOP 100 PINK FLOYD SONGS - #01 - Comfortably Numb from The Wall (1979) (1 Viewer)

And other than Crack the Sky, I probably listen to Pink Floyd more than any other group.

That being said, Pik Floyd is the exception. CD killed the album experience for just about any other artists. From time to time I'll play an album and rediscover that I really liked a "fill in" song way back when (usually early to mid '80's - just before CDs and the new, accurate way record sales were recorded ruined everything.)
I played Crack the Sky a ton when I was a college DJ.

As for the dilemma of isolated tracks vs. albums, when Floyd's record label EMI allowed individual Pink Floyd to be downloaded in 2010, the band sued, as their contract states that tracks cannot be sold unbundled from albums. EMI argued that the contract applied only to physical albums, not downloads, but the judge didn't agree, ruling that the label is "not entitled to exploit recordings by online distribution or by any other means other than the complete original album without Pink Floyd's consent." Not sure if that's changed since then, but the band had the same issues as we are discussing now (individual songs as setup material on a concept album don't make a lot of sense).

I can't think of one memorable song of of The Final Cut
My mind brings up "Not Now John" and "Fletcher Memorial" as part of the soundtrack for day to day life. I'll need to respect the no politics rules and thus not provide examples other than to say that is where those songs fit. When the Tigers Break Free is more specific to Roger Waters' story, but it is certainly memorable to me.

I’m guessing I’ll be pretty high on the chalk rankings since I seem to be on lots of the swipe right lists so far. Either that or I’m just dreamy.
I can't speak to what you snorted, drank, mainlined, inhaled, or ingested, but let's see how chalky / dreamy you really are. Based on the results, you may want to change your board name to Leonardo.

SWIPE RIGHT / THE FISH ARE JUMPING IN THE BOAT!
@lardonastick (21 similar songs, 9 of the same Top 10)
Friend of @PIK95 (20 + 9)
@Galileo (19 + 10)
@Just Win Baby (19 + 10)
@DocHolliday (19 + 10)
@Yambag (19 + 9)
2 tied at 18 songs

SWIPE LEFT / YEAH, WHATEVER . . . TOO BUSY AS IT IS
@jabarony (7 + 2) . . . I'm spotting a trend here.
@Anarchy99 (11 + 8)
4 tied with 13 songs

CHALK RANKINGS (Average songs per list)
Yo Mama - 16.16
Yambag - 15.10
PIK95 - 14.90
Dwayne Hoover - 14.29
FatMax - 14.16

@PIK95 is up . . .

SWIPE RIGHT / WHERE WERE THESE DATING APPS WHEN I WAS ACTUALLY DATING?
@Yo Mama (18 similar songs, 9 of the same Top 10)
@DocHolliday (18 + 9)
@New Binky the Doormat (18 + 8)
@lardonastick (18 + 7)
4 tied at 17 songs

SWIPE LEFT / I NEVER LIKED ANARCHY TO BEGIN WITH
@Anarchy99 (8 + 7)
@jabarony (9 + 2)
1 with 12 songs
3 tied with 13 songs

Yambag - 15.10
PIK95 - 14.90
Dwayne Hoover - 14.29
FatMax - 14.16
I’m guessing I’ll be pretty high on the chalk rankings since I seem to be on lots of the swipe right lists so far. Either that or I’m just dreamy.

I'm surprised I'm the lowest so far, though once we get to @jabarony and @Anarchy99, I'll look very chalking in comparison.

I'm surprised I'm the lowest so far, though once we get to @jabarony and @Anarchy99, I'll look very chalking in comparison.
I don't believe that there is any truth to @jabarony being Roger Waters in real life. He just doesn't seem to like anything. He does have two exclusive songs beholden just to him . . . and his list only contains 8 of the overall Top 25 songs. We all like what we all like. I still can't believe we have someone that has his Top 5 as a complete overlay to the actual Top 5. Jabarony and I each have only 1 Top 5 song that ended up in the Top 5. His list has one other song that end up in the Top 5 (whereas my list doesn't have any other Top 5 songs).

I like Vera, didn’t make the cut for me but nothing bad to say about it. I had it in my Top 30 songs named after a female or whatever that countdown I did was titled (30th IIRC too lazy to look though)

I listen to full albums quite often still. I tend to like concept albums though.

The Wall definitely falls into that category, but there are plenty of stand alones on it.

My mind brings up "Not Now John" and "Fletcher Memorial" as part of the soundtrack for day to day life.
I didn’t pick NNJ because it’s too profane.
But is it memorable? As I said I couldn't sort the songs and didn't submit a list, but if it made the cut it would be close to 25. (I was really expecting someone to correct me on When Tigers Broke Free not actually being on the original release. but not added until digital versions started being released.)

#85-T - The Last Few Bricks from Is There Anybody Out There? The Wall Live 1980–81 (2000)

Appeared On: 1 ballot (out of 32 . . . 3.1%)
Total Points: 5 points (out of 800 possible points . . . 0.63%)
Top Ranker: @Anarchy99
Highest Ranking: 21

Live Performances:
PF
: 31 (First Performance - San Diego - 1980-02-07)
DG's PF: None
DG: None
RW: 225 (Berlin - 1990, Wall Live DVD)

Covers: Fan Created Extended Version

Another one of my oddball selections. The Last Few Bricks was a section in The Wall live shows that came after ABITW3 and before Goodbye Cruel World. Unless people have seen footage of the shows (or even RW's tour of shows), it might be a little hard to comprehend. At the point in the show, roadies and stage workers did not have enough time to work on building the wall that was getting assembled on stage. It was composed specifically for the purpose of allowing the bricklayer roadies more time to finish constructing the wall, to seal off the stage almost completely, before Waters appeared in the last one-brick-wide space in the wall to sing Goodbye Cruel World and end the first part of the show.

The instrumental bridge debuted with The Wall Tour in 1980 but was not given an official name at the time. Fans called the track Almost Gone on some bootleg albums of the shows. The album of the 1990 Berlin perfromance was the first official release of the bridge. However, it was not marked as a separate track, and instead was simply included as an extended part of the ABITW3 track.

It was composed specifically for the purpose of allowing the bricklayer roadies more time to finish constructing the wall, to seal off the stage almost completely, before Waters appeared in the last one-brick-wide space in the wall to sing Goodbye Cruel World to end the first part of the show.

The piece doesn't have a strict composition, varying from venue to venue, but it usually contained themes from The Happiest Days Of Our LIves, Don't Leave Me Now, Young Lust, Empty Spaces, and occasionally when the bricklayers were running especially late, a jam (in the jazzier style of the earlier, improv-oriented Floyd) similar to Any Colour You Like.

Roger Waters had long resisted requests to release the recordings of the 1980-81 Wall performances, but he changed his mind to allow a twentieth-anniversary live album release in 2000. During the mixing and editing of this album, producer James Guthrie suggested the title The Last Few Bricks for the bridge. Waters liked the title, and it was used for the live album and all subsequent releases and live performances.

As with many debuts for new tours and material, the initial performance had multiple technical issues (including reports of a small fire on stage). The longest performance of the ABITW3 / TLFB's medley was that first night and was stretched to over 13 minutes. It's linked below and definitely worth a listen.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): NR
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): NR
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): NR
WMGK Ranking (out of 40 songs): NR
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): NR
Billboard Ranking (out of 50 songs): NR

I'd say up next, a song from everyone's favorite album (sarcasm), but none of the tracks on The Endless River earned a vote.

Last edited:
Reached into the hat full of names and pulled out . . . @Pip's Invitation:

SWIPE RIGHT / THEY'LL LEARN TO APPRECIATE THE INNER ME
@Todem (16 similar songs, 7 of the same Top 10)
@Dwayne Hoover (15 + 9)
4 tied with 14 songs

SWIPE LEFT / DOGS IS MY FAVORITE SONG . . . THESE FOLKS FIT THAT DESCRIPTION
@Ridgeback (9 + 6)
@Anarchy99 (9 + 7)
5 tied with 10 songs

Yo Mama - 16.16
Yambag - 15.10
PIK95 - 14.90
Dwayne Hoover - 14.29
FatMax - 14.16
Pip's Invitation - 12.23

I'm surprised Saucerful isn't higher (Binky: lower) given its importance in the band's development, but I suppose those who like the extended pieces are going to pick Echoes, Shine On (x2), the core Animals songs, etc., instead. Agree that the Ummagumma and Pompeii versions are better than the studio version.

Waiting for the Worms and Vera are among the reasons why I don't revisit disc 2 of The Wall much.

The Last Few Bricks is a throwaway piece, but it recycles some of the more interesting musical themes of disc 1 of the Wall, so I'd much rather hear it than most of disc 2.

#85-T - The Final Cut From The Final Cut (1983)

Appeared On: 1 ballot (out of 32 . . . 3.1%)orignally inteded
Top Ranker: @worrierking

Live Performances:
PF
: None
RW: None
NM: None

Covers: TNR, Ruby Isle, Fleesh, Judson Mancebo, Brit Floyd, Silverfish, Clean The Machine, The Machine

By the summer of 1982 rolled around, the band was officially down to three members. The Wall tour was over, A Collection Of Great Dance songs had come and gone, and The Wall film had finally been released. Waters felt that there was enough material leftover from The Wall album and film to make another album. As already mentioned, Gilmour did not agree and thought assembling an album of rejected and passed over songs was not the way to go.

Tensions soon emerged, and while Waters and Gilmour initially worked together, playing the video game Donkey Kong in their spare time, they eventually chose to work separately. Engineer Andy Jackson worked with Waters on vocals; and sound engineer James Guthrie on guitars. They would occasionally meet to discuss the work that had been completed; while this method was not in itself unusual, Gilmour began to feel strained, sometimes barely maintaining his composure. On previous tours, the four members of the band each had RVs parked in a circle, with the entrances facing outward, and each arriving separately.

After months of poor relations, and following a final confrontation, Gilmour was removed from the credit list as producer, but was still paid production royalties.Waters later said that he was also under significant pressure and that early in production believed he would never record with Gilmour or Mason again. He may have threatened to release the album as a solo record, although Pink Floyd were contracted to EMI and such a move would have been unlikely. Mason kept himself distant, dealing with marital problems. In an August 1987 interview, Waters recalled The Final Cut as an "absolute misery to make", and that the band members were "fighting like cats and dogs". He said the experience forced them to accept that they had not worked together as a band since the WYWH album.

The album hit #1 on the UK album charts . . . something that DSOTM, Animals, The Wall, and AMLOR all were unable to accomplish. #SHOCKED.AT.THIS!!!

The song tells of a man's isolation, depression, sexual repression, and rejection. At the end of the song he attempts suicide but "never had the nerve to make the final cut". Additionally, the song is said to be told from its main character of Pink.

Written by Roger Waters originally to appear on Pink Floyd’s previous album The Wall, this song, that was about Pink’s difficulty to connect with others through his wall, was reworked to apply more to Roger himself. The song describes what it’s like to alienate yourself from the world. Roger tells us about his young life, and how hard it was for him to socialize with humanity while he was behind his wall. The final part of the song tells us how he almost killed himself but never mustered to courage to act on it.

The Final Cut is one of several songs (along with The Hero's Return, The Fletcher Memorial Home, One Of The Few, and Your Possible Pasts) that had been previously rejected from The Wall album. The song is in the video version of the album The Final Cut Video EP (linked in the title above). The song made an appearance as the B-side of the Selections from the Final Cut radio promo single (with Your Possible Pasts on the A-side). It also appears in the film Strange Frame. To the best of my knowledge, the song has yet to be performed live.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 156
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): 130
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): 39
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): 55

Vulture Ranking (156 out of 165 songs): Like The Wall, The Final Cut tells a story. It is about the effects of the Falklands War, seen through the prism of the Second World War, which of course hurt the country deeply, and included the tragic death of Waters’s father. Here, we have a man returned from the previous war, becoming a schoolteacher, and watching the war cries begin for the Falklands. That conflict, forgotten now, started when the dictator running Argentina occupied some British-held islands in the South Atlantic, mostly to ramp up patriotic fervor on the home front. Margaret Thatcher dispatched some warships and the world watched for a week or so as they chugged their way down the globe. The absurd conflict that resulted included the senseless sinking of an Argentine ship, which cost more than 300 lives. To Waters, this represented an enormous betrayal on the part of the British government, whose rabble-rousing for the war overlooked the terrible cost of the last one. Anyway, that’s all fine. But this song is a puzzlement. It’s another hugely bombastic number, the album’s penultimate track. At this point in The Final Cut, you deeply, deeply never want to hear Roger Waters’s voice again. His big, climactic line, “Or is it just a crazy dream,” delivered in a porcine squeal, is just this side of painful. But that’s not what makes this song inexcusable. For some reason I can’t comprehend, Waters inserts himself into the story; that’s the only way one can interpret this song’s key line, which, having no relevance to the rest of whatever story Waters was trying to tell, has the distinction of being the worst single lyric in the Pink Floyd oeuvre, and that includes the one about the albatross hanging motionless upon the air: “If I open my heart to you / And show you my weak side / What would you do? / Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?” This from the guy who might never have even been quoted in the magazine over the real Pink Floyd’s existence. Hey, Rog: It’s a small sacrifice. Lie back and think of England.

UCR Ranking (130 out of 167 songs): On this Wall leftover, the Waters-led Pink Floyd retreads Comfortably Numb, only with a more irritating vocal from Waters, a less interesting guitar solo from Gilmour, and boatloads of more self-pity. Elsewhere on the album, Waters empathizes with veteran victims and excoriates power-hungry prime ministers, but here he’s worried that his wife is going to tell all to Rolling Stone magazine.

Louder Ranking (39 out of 50 songs): Cast into the ‘rubbish library’ during Wall sessions, the title track of the Floyd’s great 1983 breakup album was openly hated by Gilmour (“I said to Roger, ‘If these songs weren’t good enough for The Wall, why are they good enough now?’”). But heard today, The Final Cut stands as one of rock’s most beautiful suicide notes, Waters’ bereft vocal bristling the neck hair as the music unfolds like a lost cousin of Comfortably Numb. In later years, even Gilmour would come around, citing it as one of the album’s three decent songs.

Next up, one of several tracks that will appear from another movie soundtrack.

Last edited:
I don't believe that there is any truth to @jabarony being Roger Waters in real life. He just doesn't seem to like anything. He does have two exclusive songs beholden just to him . . . and his list only contains 8 of the overall Top 25 songs. We all like what we all like. I still can't believe we have someone that has his Top 5 as a complete overlay to the actual Top 5. Jabarony and I each have only 1 Top 5 song that ended up in the Top 5. His list has one other song that end up in the Top 5 (whereas my list doesn't have any other Top 5 songs).
While I can be sour,I have not yet threatened legal action against you or FBG, so that blows up that theory. And I also submitted a fully formed list, so I do like at least 25 things!

Last edited:
"The Show Must Go On" and "Waiting for the Worms" have great harmonies in them. I wish TSMGO was longer, but in its shortness, it is a nice tranquil diddy.

WFTW has a lot going on in it, including metaphors. I like all the different layers of it, and how the song has brought Pink to the breaking point within the story. In the writeup, some commentary mentioned the sweet and sour vocal interplay between Gilmour and Waters in the song, and in a way life has imitated art.

Vera - A short sad song. Waters doesn't have a good singing voice (I think), but his voice works well on songs like this.

Last edited:
#85-T - Green Is The Colour from More (1969)

Top Ranker: @Mt. Man

Live Performances:
PF
:106 (London - 1969-04-14, Belgium - 1969-10-25, San Francisco - 1970-05-29, St. Tropez - 1970-08-08)
RW: None
NM: 72 (London - 2019-05-03)

Covers: Naevus, Landry Grant, Raheel, Imaginary Persons, Di Piu, Daydream Cathedral, Jay Alcario, Woods, RPWL, Neil Down

Green Is The Colour comes from the band’s third album, More, which was the soundtrack for a 1969 movie of the same name directed by Barbet Schroeder. It was Pink Floyd’s first album without founder Syd Barrett, whose mental illness led to his departure from the group. Schroeder was a fan of Pink Floyd, and brought a rough cut of the film to London for them to work with. Instead of typical background music, Schroeder wanted the songs to feature in the film, such as a record playing at a party. The group also speculated they could branch out into a career as film composers if their recording and touring career did not work out. Drummer Nick Mason later said the film was "ideally suited to some of the rumblings, squeaks and sound textures we produced on a regular basis."

Roger Waters recalled that Schroeder wanted the music for More to relate to what was occurring within its scenes. “So if the radio was switched on in the car for example, he wanted something to come out of the car,” Waters said. “I was sitting at the side of the studio writing lyrics while we were putting down the backing tracks. It was just a question of writing eight or nine instrumentals.” Schroeder recalled that the Waters and the group created the music for his film in a hectic two-week period. “Roger was the big creative force,” he said. “The sound engineer couldn't believe the speed and creativity of the enterprise.”

Most of the material was put together quickly and semi-improvised. They did not use a dubbing studio due to budget constraints, and simply timed sequences in the film with a stopwatch so they knew how long the music had to be. Waters wrote most of the lyrics during breaks between recording backing tracks.

The film More featured a young hitchhiker in Ibiza who had succumbed to heroin abuse with party scenes and drug taking. The film deals with drug fascination and the downward spiral of addiction. Made in the political fallout of the 1960s counterculture, it features drug use, free love, and other references to contemporary European youth culture.

Green is the Colour was played live frequently after release. Live arrangements of the song were performed as a full electric band piece and at a slower tempo. Richard Wright played organ sound throughout. Gilmour sang a scat vocal over his guitar solo during the outro. In a live intro to the song from 1970, Roger Waters states that the song is "about being on Ibiza" the setting of the film. In The Man And The Journey suite, the song was re-titled The Beginning. It was played as a medley with Beset by the Creatures of the Deep, which was a reworked version of Careful With That Axe, Eugene. The song was a regular part of the band's shows from early 1969 through 1970, then less common in 1971. It was played for the last time during their short tour of Japan and Australia in August 1971.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 99
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): 106
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): 65

Vulture Ranking (99 out of 165 songs): An early Waters vocal track, in a tentative falsetto. (More was the first of two Barbet Schroeder films the band contributed a soundtrack to.) The kind thing to say is that the band was still trying to find its voice. Then you have to cope with poesy like, “She lay in the shadow of a wave / Hazy were the visions overplayed.”

Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (106 out of 167 songs): Written by Waters, sung by Wright, and inspired by Ibiza (the setting for the film), Green is the Colour is the kind of pretty ballad that probably took more thought and work than its easy-going nature would have you expect. But does the tin whistle have to be there?

As the sun sets on Ibiza, we move on to an album closing track that was first performed 35 years after its initial release.

Last edited:
Throws dart blindfolded at dartboard . . . lands on @Galileo

SWIPE RIGHT / GALILEO, GALILEO MAGNIFICO
@Yo Mama (19 similar songs, 6 of the same Top 10)
@lardonastick (18 + 9)
6 tied with 17 songs

SWIPE LEFT / HE'S JUST A POOR BOY FROM A POOR FAMILY
@Anarchy99 (8 + 6)
@jabarony (10 + 4)
@Pip's Invitation (10 + 6)
3 tied with 12 songs

Yo Mama - 16.16
Yambag - 15.10
PIK95 - 14.90
Galileo - 14.71
Dwayne Hoover - 14.29
FatMax - 14.16
Pip's Invitation - 12.23

The title track of The Final Cut is the answer to a question nobody asked -- what would Comfortably Numb sound like with a dull arrangement and cringe lyrics?

I'm a big fan of the More soundtrack for reasons I will get into later. Green Is the Colour is one of its many tracks with a blissful vibe that I could listen to all day. I dunno why the professional writers are confused about who sings this -- it's unmistakably Gilmour and the linked video confirms it.

Random tidbit of the day. In 2013, BBC Radio 2 polled listeners to find out their favorite albums of all time. The Floyd placed TDSOTM at #4.

Here was their Top 10:
01 - Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Heat
02 - Keane - Hopes & Fears
03 - Duran Duran - Rio
04 - Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
05 - Dido - No Angel
06 - The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
07 - Pet Shop Boys - Actually
08 - The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
09 - U2 - The Joshua Tree
10 - Queen - A Night At The Opera

I played Crack the Sky a ton when I was a college DJ.
Did you play the studio versions or the live versions where they like to go off on a ten minute adlib tangent? "See how far off we could go and still pull it back."

ETA: Your contribution of "Last few bricks" prompts this question.

I’m getting Tipper Gore involved.
As for tangents, I can't get "Shelter Me" out of my head now.

#82-T - Two Suns In The Sunset from The Final Cut (1983)

Total Points: 6 points (out of 800 possible points . . . 0.63%)
Top Ranker: @BrutalPenguin
Highest Ranking: 20

Live Performances:
PF
RW: Brazil - 2018-10-17 (First Performance), Denver - 2002-06-06

Covers: Nicotine Electrolytes, Kill Everyone, Rob Falgiano, Brian Jipson, Time On The Moon

Two Suns in the Sunset is the closing track to the concept album The Final Cut and was Roger Waters' final chronological contribution to the band before leaving in 1985. The album ends portraying a nuclear holocaust, the final result of a world obsessed with war and control.

In the song, it says the sun is in the East, even though the day is done (the sun sets in the West). Roger Waters reflected: "It describes a nuclear war – the remnants of all that paranoia about nuclear war from the '60's – and it's that idea that it may be at the end of life, one may have that kind of realization that you could have when you're alive and living, and you go, "Hold on a minute, maybe this is what I should do." He added that the song is meant to encourage us to live in the moment. "Don't be scared to live it," he says. "Don't be scared to take risks.

Session musician Andy Newmark played drums on the track in place of Pink Floyd's regular drummer Nick Mason. Roger Waters explained: "Rhythmically, there are some five/four timings thrown in so the downbeat changes from bar to bar and it's confusing for Nick. His brain doesn't work that way. That's why he didn't play on Mother from The Wall." For geeky drumming types, the song begins and ends in 9/8 time, while the majority of the song is in 4/4 (common time and is punctuated with added measures of 7/8 and 3/8. Adding to the complexity, the main theme of the rhythm guitar has chords changing emphatically in dotted eighth notes, so three eighth-note beats are divided equally in two.

Critic Justin Gerber described the song as "the album's crowning achievement." Toby Manning was less enthusiastic in his retrospective review, saying that this was the one song off the album where Waters the musician couldn't stay on the same level as Waters the conceptualist.

Two Suns In The Sunset was never performed live by Pink Floyd, as Gilmour essentially ignored The Final Cut after its release. However, Roger Waters, as a solo artist, premiered the song almost 35 years after its release in a concert from the Us + Them Tour in Brazil in 2018 (linked below). He also performed it on his 2022–23 This Is Not A Drill Tour.

2022 Lockdown Sessions Version

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 164
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): 164
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): 92

Vulture Ranking (164 out of 165 songs): This is the final song on the final album by the band people feel is the “real” Pink Floyd. It was a watershed moment in the group’s career: Bassist Roger Waters, whose expanding vision and growing songwriting talents had given the band The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall, had become (by all accounts including his own) a hellacious a-hole . . . he’d even insisted that the band fire its original keyboardist, Richard Wright, during the recording of The Wall. After The Final Cut, Waters himself left the band, and announced that Pink Floyd was over. Right about then, the two remaining members, guitarist David Gilmour and drummer Nick Mason, realized that they controlled the name of one of the biggest entities in rock — and that, with that prick Waters gone, the conditions of actually being in that band had just improved remarkably. As for this song, to end the dreary song cycle of The Final Cut - subtitled “Requiem for the Post-War Dream by Roger Waters” - Waters rolls out a nuclear holocaust, a kablooey ex machina, and sings about it in a pinched little whiny voice that is an aesthetic holocaust just by itself. Speaking of disasters, Rolling Stone gave this overwrought, self-important, and almost unlistenable album five stars.

UCR Ranking (164 out of 167 songs): Roger Waster's tenure in Pink Floyd (give or take a Live 8 appearance) culminates in a nuclear holocaust. It’s a strangely stone-faced protest song spiked with scare tactics – including a line about never again hearing your loved ones’ voices followed by a girl screaming “Daddy, Daddy!” You know, just in case lyrics such “As the windshield melts and my tears evaporate, leaving only charcoal to defend” were too subtle. And, even worse than an atomic fireball, Waters tacks on a cheesy sax solo to deliver us to the apocalypse.

Ugh. Already getting tired of The Final Cut songs. One of my selections is up next . . . another track that won't be found on a regular album.

Last edited:
I listen to full albums quite often still. I tend to like concept albums though.

The Wall definitely falls into that category, but there are plenty of stand alones on it.
I still prefer to listen to albums but probably just have Alexa, Spotify choose music from an artist or genre more these days. Pink Floyd was made to be listened to by album but many songs can be listened to alone. Other songs that have just made this list don’t really work well for me outside of the album.

Outstanding thread. I’m learning a lot about PF.

I am not sure if I was in a coma or what back at the time Final Cut was released. I really have no familiarity with the contents of this album. Did it just not get much air time? I really liked this track.
I think for a lot of people the one two punch of The Wall movie and The Final Cut was just too much at a time when the pessimistic feelings of the '70s were being replaced by optimism of the '80s. And despite big numbers at its release it faded quickly to obscurity. I wonder if the Final Cut is released during the Carter years rather than the Reagan and Maggie years if it would have been bigger? Just because the mood was different and this no longer fit in to the new "ignorance is bliss" mode of the times.

Or, a simpler version is that it was just too confusing. I mean The Final Cut is pretty much sympathetic to the Wall's school teacher. How can that be?

Or, the volume of the songs was just way too low that the next song from someone else would blow your ear drums out.

I think for a lot of people the one two punch of The Wall movie and The Final Cut was just too much at a time when the pessimistic feelings of the '70s were being replaced by optimism of the '80s. And despite big numbers at its release it faded quickly to obscurity. I wonder if the Final Cut is released during the Carter years rather than the Reagan and Maggie years if it would have been bigger? Just because the mood was different and this no longer fit in to the new "ignorance is bliss" mode of the times.
I was too young at the time o understand the political/economic implications of The Wall and The Final Cut. Only got into PF when I was in college in the mid/late '80s and didn't really think of these implications. Just thought the music from Meddle through Animals was the peak and everything else was at least one notch below.

I was too young at the time o understand the political/economic implications of The Wall and The Final Cut. Only got into PF when I was in college in the mid/late '80s and didn't really think of these implications. Just thought the music from Meddle through Animals was the peak and everything else was at least one notch below.
While politics of the times and of the albums are in play and a big part of it, I'm more referring to the general mood of the masses that were starting embrace stuff like [the A Team which leads to] Rambo.

Last edited:
I was too young at the time o understand the political/economic implications of The Wall and The Final Cut. Only got into PF when I was in college in the mid/late '80s and didn't really think of these implications. Just thought the music from Meddle through Animals was the peak and everything else was at least one notch below
This is pretty much where I was at also. Whatever sounded best to my ears.

@ericttspikes on the musical prowl looking for some action . . .

SWIPE RIGHT / WEAR U LADIES @?
@Desert_Power (16 similar songs, 8 of the same Top 10)
@lardonastick (16 + 7)
@DocHolliday (16 + 7)
@BassNBrew (16 + 6)
5 tied with 15

SWIPE LEFT / NOT IF YOU WERE THE LAST IMMIGRANT GROCER ON EARTH . . . HONEY
@Anarchy99 (7 + 4)
@jabarony (10 + 5)
@Mookie Gizzy (10 + 5)
3 tied with 11 songs

Yo Mama - 16.16
Yambag - 15.10
PIK95 - 14.90
Galileo - 14.71
Dwayne Hoover - 14.29
FatMax - 14.16
ericttspikes - 13.19
Pip's Invitation - 12.23

Live Performances:
PF

Covers: Nicotine Electrolytes, Kill Everyone, Rob Falgiano, Brian Jipson, Time On The Moon

Two Suns in the Sunset is the closing track to the concept album The Final Cut and was Roger Waters' final chronological contribution to the band before leaving in 1985. The album ends portraying a nuclear holocaust, the final result of a world obsessed with war and control.

In the song, it says the sun is in the East, even though the day is done (the sun sets in the West). Roger Waters reflected: "It describes a nuclear war – the remnants of all that paranoia about nuclear war from the '60's – and it's that idea that it may be at the end of life, one may have that kind of realization that you could have when you're alive and living, and you go, "Hold on a minute, maybe this is what I should do." He added that the song is meant to encourage us to live in the moment. "Don't be scared to live it," he says. "Don't be scared to take risks.

Session musician Andy Newmark played drums on the track in place of Pink Floyd's regular drummer Nick Mason. Roger Waters explained: "Rhythmically, there are some five/four timings thrown in so the downbeat changes from bar to bar and it's confusing for Nick. His brain doesn't work that way. That's why he didn't play on Mother from The Wall." For geeky drumming types, the song begins and ends in 9/8 time, while the majority of the song is in 4/4 (common time and is punctuated with added measures of 7/8 and 3/8. Adding to the complexity, the main theme of the rhythm guitar has chords changing emphatically in dotted eighth notes, so three eighth-note beats are divided equally in two.

Critic Justin Gerber described the song as "the album's crowning achievement." Toby Manning was less enthusiastic in his retrospective review, saying that this was the one song off the album where Waters the musician couldn't stay on the same level as Waters the conceptualist.

Two Suns In The Sunset was never performed live by Pink Floyd, as Gilmour essentially ignored The Final Cut after its release. However, Roger Waters, as a solo artist, premiered the song almost 35 years after its release in a concert from the Us + Them Tour in Brazil in 2018 (linked below). He also performed it on his 2022–23 This Is Not A Drill Tour.

Vulture Ranking (164 out of 165 songs): This is the final song on the final album by the band people feel is the “real” Pink Floyd. It was a watershed moment in the group’s career: Bassist Roger Waters, whose expanding vision and growing songwriting talents had given the band The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall, had become (by all accounts including his own) a hellacious a-hole . . . he’d even insisted that the band fire its original keyboardist, Richard Wright, during the recording of The Wall. After The Final Cut, Waters himself left the band, and announced that Pink Floyd was over. Right about then, the two remaining members, guitarist David Gilmour and drummer Nick Mason, realized that they controlled the name of one of the biggest entities in rock — and that, with that prick Waters gone, the conditions of actually being in that band had just improved remarkably. As for this song, to end the dreary song cycle of The Final Cut - subtitled “Requiem for the Post-War Dream by Roger Waters” - Waters rolls out a nuclear holocaust, a kablooey ex machina, and sings about it in a pinched little whiny voice that is an aesthetic holocaust just by itself. Speaking of disasters, Rolling Stone gave this overwrought, self-important, and almost unlistenable album five stars.

UCR Ranking (164 out of 167 songs): Roger Waster's tenure in Pink Floyd (give or take a Live 8 appearance) culminates in a nuclear holocaust. It’s a strangely stone-faced protest song spiked with scare tactics – including a line about never again hearing your loved ones’ voices followed by a girl screaming “Daddy, Daddy!” You know, just in case lyrics such “As the windshield melts and my tears evaporate, leaving only charcoal to defend” were too subtle. And, even worse than an atomic fireball, Waters tacks on a cheesy sax solo to deliver us to the apocalypse.

Ugh. Already getting tired of The Final Cut songs. One of my selections is up next . . . another track that won't be found on a regular album.
This is ok until about 2:20. Then comes the whiny vocals and the manipulative lyrics and sound effects. And eventually the ripped-from-Muzak sax.

At least Andy Newmark's drumming is good. :shrug:

Live Performances:
PF

This is ok until about 2:20. Then comes the whiny vocals and the manipulative lyrics and sound effects. And eventually the ripped-from-Muzak sax.

At least Andy Newmark's drumming is good. :shrug:
Speaking of which, forgot to mention the sax player on Two Suns was Raphael Ravenscroft, who played the solo on Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street.

While politics of the times and of the albums are in play and a big part of it, I'm more referring to the general mood of the masses that were starting embrace stuff like [the A Team which leads to] Rambo.
I think there's a simpler explanation: The songs aren't very good. Tons of people bought the record because Floyd was arguably the biggest band on the planet after The Wall, and it didn't matter what the follow-up was, it was gonna move in huge numbers. But it's been mostly ignored by radio since then, nor is it an album that anyone I know (and I know a lot of Floyd fans) goes to bat for or revisits often. I think that would have been the case regardless of what decade it was released in. It's a dour listening experience and many of its songs are duds. Put another way, it's all reform-school meat and no pudding.

Users who are viewing this thread