What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1989 It's snail paced Countdown Monday!! (1 Viewer)

30    ---    Crimes and Misdeameanors
20    ---    The Big Picture
20    ---    Say Anything
15    ---    Do the Right Thing
15    ---    Scandal
15    ---    The Little Mermaid
15    ---    Glory
15    ---    The Mighty Quinn
15    ---    The Killer
5    ---    Blind Fury
5    ---    Earth Girls Are Easy
5    ---    Sex Lies & Videotape
5    ---    Roadhouse
5    ---    New York Stories
5    ---    Kiki's Delivery Service
5    ---    Field of Dreams
5    ---    The Abyss

Looks like we had 24 lists and 99 different titles nominated.  

I am working on the list now and will try to start on a few titles for the countdown this am, but it's also our first 70 degree day after having 6 inches of snow about a week and a half ago, so I think the wee one and I are going to hit the zoo today, so I can't guarantee that the countdown will be completed today.  

Looks like we had 24 lists and 99 different titles nominated.  

I am working on the list now and will try to start on a few titles for the countdown this am, but it's also our first 70 degree day after having 6 inches of snow about a week and a half ago, so I think the wee one and I are going to hit the zoo today, so I can't guarantee that the countdown will be completed today.  
THANKS FOR NOT CONFIRMING MY ENTRY, DOOD!!1!1

:unsure:

:D

#26  60pts

7/1

Lucky for me this place is soundproof. That way nobody gets to hear me beating the truth out of you.

boring cop show

Too bad the writers in tinsel town couldn't come up with a better program than this. Should have called it "Bango and Trash", because that is what it did and what it was. Boring action scenes, dumb plot that has been done a million times, and uninspired acting. And why not? I couldn't get excited listening to and watching this drivel, why should I expect anything else from the actors? Don't waste your time with this camel dung. 1/8th star.

TANGO & CASH

#25  66pts

9/-

Dead in the water

Very unbelievable plot, with a female lead role who can do nothing right and who has no mind of her own to make just one correct and logic decision.

Add to it's incredibility a husband who would leave his wife alone on a boat with a strange man with horse lame story in the middle of the ocean while rowing off a mile in a dingy.

The couple would surely have called around on the radio to report the alleged accidents on the deserted schooner, and surely the wife would sooner have recalled the man's advice of grabbing the gun early on.

In all it's just another of the stories where no one is doing the right and logic thing, every thing that possibly can go wrong goes wrong etc.

Predictable, boring, stupid and very ordinary.

DEAD CALM

#25  66pts

9/-

Dead in the water

Very unbelievable plot, with a female lead role who can do nothing right and who has no mind of her own to make just one correct and logic decision.

Add to it's incredibility a husband who would leave his wife alone on a boat with a strange man with horse lame story in the middle of the ocean while rowing off a mile in a dingy.

The couple would surely have called around on the radio to report the alleged accidents on the deserted schooner, and surely the wife would sooner have recalled the man's advice of grabbing the gun early on.

In all it's just another of the stories where no one is doing the right and logic thing, every thing that possibly can go wrong goes wrong etc.

Predictable, boring, stupid and very ordinary.

DEAD CALM
any review of Dead Calm which doesnt mention Nicole Kidman all naked & curly shows a basic misunderstanding  of cinema

#24  79pts

9/1

l assume you're watching these because you're curious about sex... you know. Or filmmaking.

Very very annoying with tiny bits of truth to it...

I really can't say much about this movie. Trying to make a movie of an everyday life is never easy, and let's face it - Ron Howard does a terrible job here. The characters are as annoying as they get, and as unbelievable as they get. This makes for an indigestible concoction - supposedly real life with unreal characters. And to be honest, I can not recall a movie with more annoying characters than this one. Every appearance of either Dianne Wiest or Mary Steenburgen on screen made me shut my eyes and mute the TV. There are three reasons for this though. The first one is the terrible script. The second one is awful directing. And last, but not the least, is the ridiculously pathetic acting. I was never a fan of Steve Martin whose acting abilities to me are as shallow as a puddle, but the rest of the cast make him stand out simply by being even worse. The only exception is, of course, Jason Robards who is in a league of his own here. Actually, in some of his scenes I felt like I was watching a different movie all together, a smart, touching, sometimes funny movie. And then it was back to Steve Martin and his crowd... 

Conclusion. Avoid it like the plague. The only reason I gave it a 3 out of 10 is Jason Robards. The rest of it gets a 1.

PARENTHOOD

5 of you are very sick individuals...

#23  85pts

5/1

Venkman, get a stool sample.

Business, or personal?\

Quite possibly the worst movie ever made.

It's not funny, it's not scary and it's not the least bit entertaining. This movie has everything I hate in a movie...and nothing else. Even "bad" movies tend to have some highlights or at least they're so bad that you just can't help smiling to yourself. Well I didn't smile while watching this.

I remember not even liking this movie when I saw it back in '89 (I was 12) but after seeing it again I'm appalled. The effects are horrible, even for it's age. The theme music is generic 80's pop that you couldn't remember if you listened to it a thousand times. It feels completely out of place. The story in itself is slightly more interesting than the one of the original movie but is ruined by pretty much everything else. The cast is as you'll expect them in a movie like this but the gags and one-liners are just terrible. The ending has to be one of the lowest points in film making history. Disgusting.

And I liked the original ghostbusters... If you haven't seen this yet, don't.

1 out of 10 (my lowest score yet).

GHOSTBUSTERS II

KarmaPolice said:
#26  60pts

7/1

Lucky for me this place is soundproof. That way nobody gets to hear me beating the truth out of you.

boring cop show

Too bad the writers in tinsel town couldn't come up with a better program than this. Should have called it "Bango and Trash", because that is what it did and what it was. Boring action scenes, dumb plot that has been done a million times, and uninspired acting. And why not? I couldn't get excited listening to and watching this drivel, why should I expect anything else from the actors? Don't waste your time with this camel dung. 1/8th star.

TANGO & CASH
Just when I thought the writing for Tango and Cash couldn't get worse, along comes some jackass that proposes Bango and Trash and suddenly the script doesn't seem that bad. 

5 of you are very sick individuals...

#23  85pts

5/1

Venkman, get a stool sample.

Business, or personal?\

Quite possibly the worst movie ever made.

It's not funny, it's not scary and it's not the least bit entertaining. This movie has everything I hate in a movie...and nothing else. Even "bad" movies tend to have some highlights or at least they're so bad that you just can't help smiling to yourself. Well I didn't smile while watching this.

I remember not even liking this movie when I saw it back in '89 (I was 12) but after seeing it again I'm appalled. The effects are horrible, even for it's age. The theme music is generic 80's pop that you couldn't remember if you listened to it a thousand times. It feels completely out of place. The story in itself is slightly more interesting than the one of the original movie but is ruined by pretty much everything else. The cast is as you'll expect them in a movie like this but the gags and one-liners are just terrible. The ending has to be one of the lowest points in film making history. Disgusting.

And I liked the original ghostbusters... If you haven't seen this yet, don't.

1 out of 10 (my lowest score yet).

GHOSTBUSTERS II
Waaaay too low.  You guys disappoint.  The statue of Liberty walking down the streets of Manhattan is the pinnacle of 80s cinema.  

I will be completely honest.

I had no idea anyone liked Ghostbusters II.  I've never even seen someone lie and fake liking it.  Interesting.
It's nowhere near as good as the original, but then again the original is a top 5 all time movie, so most movies aren't.  I

t's pure 80's cheese at its best, up there with Rocky 4.  

I will be completely honest.

I had no idea anyone liked Ghostbusters II.  I've never even seen someone lie and fake liking it.  Interesting.
It was one of the most disappointing theater experiences for me. I remember being 7 and my dad letting me pick which movie we were going to see. It was probably the first time I really got to pick something that we both wanted to see. It was either going to Last Crusade, Batman or GB2. I chose GB2 and we were both disappointed. Although I am pretty sure we went to see the other movies eventually but it bummed me out a bit. 

Bango and Trash.  :lmao:

I know you guys were making fun of the guy dubbing it that, but it sort of has its own bad insult charm.  

Last edited by a moderator:
#24  79pts

9/1

l assume you're watching these because you're curious about sex... you know. Or filmmaking.

Very very annoying with tiny bits of truth to it...

I really can't say much about this movie. Trying to make a movie of an everyday life is never easy, and let's face it - Ron Howard does a terrible job here. The characters are as annoying as they get, and as unbelievable as they get. This makes for an indigestible concoction - supposedly real life with unreal characters. And to be honest, I can not recall a movie with more annoying characters than this one. Every appearance of either Dianne Wiest or Mary Steenburgen on screen made me shut my eyes and mute the TV. There are three reasons for this though. The first one is the terrible script. The second one is awful directing. And last, but not the least, is the ridiculously pathetic acting. I was never a fan of Steve Martin whose acting abilities to me are as shallow as a puddle, but the rest of the cast make him stand out simply by being even worse. The only exception is, of course, Jason Robards who is in a league of his own here. Actually, in some of his scenes I felt like I was watching a different movie all together, a smart, touching, sometimes funny movie. And then it was back to Steve Martin and his crowd... 

Conclusion. Avoid it like the plague. The only reason I gave it a 3 out of 10 is Jason Robards. The rest of it gets a 1.

PARENTHOOD
That low is a crime. Or it's a lot of people without kids who are voting.

#22  89pts

7/1

Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the little bottles

It's Hardly Trainspotting!

Drugstore Cowboy i was led to believe was a hard hitting story about junkies and the lengths they go to get their next fix. Hard hitting is not the way i would describe this film , in fact ,the way they film is portrayed is as if going straight and getting off the drugs is least attractive and rewarding. Apart from the death of the young girl (Heather Graham) the scenes where the group of junkies take the drugs are hardly ground breaking or even interesting. So what is the story trying to tell us? Perhaps it is that drugs can affect anybody of any age and that luck or superstition has nothing to do with card's that we are dealt in life. Matt Dillon's acting is good as usual which is more than can be said for all the actors.John Kelly who played the cop was dire. If you want to see a really good film on addiction watch Trainspotting or leaving Las Vegas and give this one a miss.

DRUGSTORE COWBOY

#22  89pts

7/1

Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the little bottles

It's Hardly Trainspotting!

Drugstore Cowboy i was led to believe was a hard hitting story about junkies and the lengths they go to get their next fix. Hard hitting is not the way i would describe this film , in fact ,the way they film is portrayed is as if going straight and getting off the drugs is least attractive and rewarding. Apart from the death of the young girl (Heather Graham) the scenes where the group of junkies take the drugs are hardly ground breaking or even interesting. So what is the story trying to tell us? Perhaps it is that drugs can affect anybody of any age and that luck or superstition has nothing to do with card's that we are dealt in life. Matt Dillon's acting is good as usual which is more than can be said for all the actors.John Kelly who played the cop was dire. If you want to see a really good film on addiction watch Trainspotting or leaving Las Vegas and give this one a miss.

DRUGSTORE COWBOY
so, the slag review recommends ####### "Leaving Las Vegas" as hard hitting?  :lmao:

Cage was soooo over the top ridiculous that it plays like borderline comedy to me (actually funnier than "Mr. Saturday Night", but we'll get into that soon enough)

really?  LLV??!? 

:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
#21  93pts

4/3

'Bout a nine on the tension scale, Reub.

Predictable, Frustrating, Annoying...

I watched this movie solely because of the fact that it stared Tom Hanks, one of the greatest actors Hollywood has ever seen. Starting the movie, I knew nothing about the plot, what genre it fell into, or even a vague sense of what it was about. As the movie started, I was captivated by the interesting characters, the engaging dialogue, and the spot-on on satire of suburbia. After the first fifteen minutes, the movie took a sharp left turn. Every scene and every joke became painfully obvious. During the build up to every "humorous" moment, I found myself saying aloud what was going to happen. On top of the movie's predictability, I found it highly frustrating that the characters continually discovered seemingly incriminating evidence, but took it upon themselves to play police detective. There is a certain piece of evidence, in particular, that the family dog discovers, but the characters just chalk it up as a potential misunderstanding. In real life, if you find this type of evidence, you don't discuss it, you call the police. This ridiculous denial of hard evidence absolutely ruined the movie for me, not to mention the over-the-top, near senile, ending to a monstrosity of a movie. I didn't expect greatness from this movie when I began watching it, but I did expect to be entertained. Instead, I suffered through it because I felt vested and was constantly hoping that it would turn around and surprise me...but it never did. Sorry Tom, you are amongst the best ever, but this was certainly your worst.

THE 'BURBS

TIE  #20/#19  94pts

10/1

Hm. Teenagers. They think they know everything. You give them an inch, they swim all over you.

What a horrid movie

So this movie sucked soooo much. Like it gave me unrealistic expectations about my body. I am not going to be that skinny and grow a tail. The only realistic character was Ursula. Like she had it going on! Shes my idol and i love her so. I dress like her every day and even had extra appendages so i could have the tenticules like her! I'm only 12, but I know I want to be a witch just like her. I ran away from my overly catholic family to join the satanists to learn witchcraft. My hair is silver like hers and Im a fat bish like her. Back to the movie... It sucked the story line sucked. why lose your voice for a man? I mean come on! Sure body language is all that (if you're rockin' it like I am. Hips and all baby! My hips Do Not Lie!) But she needs to grow up and live in the sea with her father because ya know... sugar daddies. Its money! Live with your rich daddy bish!

THE LITTLE MERMAID

9/1

Not So Funny.

John Candy plays uncle Buck, a perpetually unemployed man who is called over to his brother's house when they unexpectedly have to leave town on a family emergency, since they cannot take their three children with them. Buck, not a father himself, tries to win over the kids with happy talk and big homemade breakfasts, but while this works on his young niece and nephew, his older niece Tia is not impressed or interested, just wants to date her boyfriend "bug".

Schizophrenic film has some moments of warmth, but hints at a serious dark side to Buck; he threatens bug with a power drill after kidnapping him, and putting him in his car trunk! Not to mention the infamous scene where he confronts his young nephew's guidance counselor and throws her some change and tells her to spend it to have a rat remove the prominent wart from her face! Mean spirited and totally uncalled for;What were they thinking there? Later a brief TV series.

UNCLE BUCK

#18 95pts

6/1

I'm too old for this ####.

The traditional output from the Hollywood Left

This film has little in the way of artistic merits, but even if it had something in the way of artistic merit, it would be difficult to like this film. It is a traditional film produced by the very smug and self-assured Hollywood Left and the liberal élite portraying white South Africans in favour of the retention of apartheid in a one-sided negative light. This film is sadly just another testament to how Hollywood is full of itself and views itself as being ahead of the curve. When it was conceived, it was not yet known that apartheid was going to fall, although Pieter Botha's government had made some extremely limited reforms. However, given Mr. de Klerk's election in 1989 (the year of the film's release), it suddenly lost its raison d'être. It has some historical accuracy in that sanctions-busting activity took place during the apartheid regime, but drug-smuggling was not among the activities widely practised and the portrayal of South Africa as a gangster state is inaccurate.

LETHAL WEAPON 2

#17  100pts

6/2

It's true. The last time I was inside a woman was when I visited the Statue of Liberty.

so poor...

A few words for the people here in germen's cine club: The worst crap ever seen on this honorable cinema. A very poor script, a very bad actors, and a very bad movie. Don't waste your time looking this movie, see the very good "mutantes verdes fritos anarquia radioactiva", or any movie have been good commented by me. Say no more.

CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS

#16  107pts

10/-

Oh, this is heavy, Doc. I mean, it's like I was just here yesterday.

You were here yesterday, Marty.

Not even 10% of the original's genius

The original Back to the Future is a perfect movie. Brilliantly written, paced, acted, directed, and edited. There's never a dull moment, the story is great from start to finish, and the fantastical elements are never so far fetched as to break the suspension of disbelief.

Not so with the sequel.

Taken as a stand alone film, it's complex, very silly, but still entertaining. However, taken as a sequel to such a masterpiece, it's a borderline mess. The story is all over the place, needlessly complex, and incredibly silly. Michael J Fox plays himself and his kids in multiple ways, rendering several scenes as little more than ridiculous farce. The lack of the brilliant Crispin Glover as George McFly is obvious throughout too, with the various out of focus stand ins looking just awful. The movie also fails to build to any sort of climax, with it feeling throughout like a collection of random, often bizarre and unrelated sequences which seem to exist purely to show off prosthetic or split camera effects. Compared to the perfect storytelling and character arcs of the original, it's truly staggering that this script ever got approved.

If for some reason you've never seen the Back to the Future films, just see the first and skip the awful sequels.

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II

#18 95pts

6/1

I'm too old for this ####.

The traditional output from the Hollywood Left

This film has little in the way of artistic merits, but even if it had something in the way of artistic merit, it would be difficult to like this film. It is a traditional film produced by the very smug and self-assured Hollywood Left and the liberal élite portraying white South Africans in favour of the retention of apartheid in a one-sided negative light. This film is sadly just another testament to how Hollywood is full of itself and views itself as being ahead of the curve. When it was conceived, it was not yet known that apartheid was going to fall, although Pieter Botha's government had made some extremely limited reforms. However, given Mr. de Klerk's election in 1989 (the year of the film's release), it suddenly lost its raison d'être. It has some historical accuracy in that sanctions-busting activity took place during the apartheid regime, but drug-smuggling was not among the activities widely practised and the portrayal of South Africa as a gangster state is inaccurate.

LETHAL WEAPON 2
This review is awesome.

#15  115pts

10/-

Don't say penis in this house!

Penis! Penis! Big ####### erect penis, Mom!

Stone Never Lets The Facts Get In His Way

Uh, excuse me but Democrat Lyndon Johnson is the President who escalated our involvement, troop-wise, into the Vietnam War - big-time, not Republican Richard Nixon, who wound up getting us out of there. But who does Liberal extremist filmmaker Oliver Stone pick on in the film? Nixon, the Republican, of course! Who else?

Stone, like most of his contemporaries, will never make a Democrat look bad but Nixon - oh, man, he's the Liberal's favorite target....until GWB came along. Stone, like Michael Moore, just looks the other way when it comes to unimportant little things such as "facts."

Who better to costar in an "anti-Vietnam" movie than "Hanoi" Jane Fonda? She must have done this role for free, relishing a Leftist propaganda opportunity like this!

Unlike Fonda, who at least cooled her rhetoric a decade later, Stone seemed obsessed by Vietnam for years. He was still at it in 1986 with "Platoon." He still obsesses over every Liberal cause, like a conspiracy under every rock. Sadly, like Moore, Stone has the power and finances to inflict all his prejudices on the public in the form of movies.....and people what they see on screen.

For every "Ron Kovic," the main subject of the film and a real-life guy who turned out to be a very bitter ex-soldier, there are thousands of military heroes who are proud to have represented the U.S.A. in Southeast Asia and have no regrets for doing so, but filmmakers like Stone will never do stories about them. Kovic, by the way, was wounded on his second tour. He was awarded medals for bravery. If he won a dozen medals but did not turn out to be an anti-war spokesman, you would have never heard of him. Hollywood and the media only glorify the left side of the political spectrum.

Casting Tom Cruise in the lead was a good idea. Most people can't stand him in real life, so playing a nagging whiner for much of the three hours made him easy to dislike.

Stone is a capable, knowledgeable filmmaker who isn't afraid to try different techniques (witness the unpleasant but fascinating "Natural Born Killers."). However, his films would so much better if he could just control putting so much of his own political Republican-hating agenda into every one of them, this one included.

BORN OF THE 4TH OF JULY

Users who are viewing this thread