What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1992 Lists due 5/13 (1 Viewer)

My first glance at the year......... my initial impression is that it is the worst year we've done so far.  I only saw 5 movies that made me think, yeah that gets points.

Again, just a quick first glance.
IMO it's got something of everything.  

First pass that I wrote down for possible points:

Brokeback, Munich, Batman Begins, Syriana, Serenity, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, History of Violence, Thank You For Smoking, Grizzly Man, Murderball, 40Yr Old Virgin, Wedding Crashers, HP and the Goblet of Fire, Good Night Good Luck, Capote, Match Point, Devil's Rejects, The Descent, Hostel, Squid and the Whale, Constant Gardener, Sin City.  

That was just initial glance - I haven't dug deeper and looked for stuff I haven't seen yet.  

IMO it's got something of everything.  

First pass that I wrote down for possible points:

Brokeback, Munich, Batman Begins, Syriana, Serenity, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, History of Violence, Thank You For Smoking, Grizzly Man, Murderball, 40Yr Old Virgin, Wedding Crashers, HP and the Goblet of Fire, Good Night Good Luck, Capote, Match Point, Devil's Rejects, The Descent, Hostel, Squid and the Whale, Constant Gardener, Sin City.  

That was just initial glance - I haven't dug deeper and looked for stuff I haven't seen yet.  
looks like a comedy or maybe a documentary is gonna win a movie year for me, which is a surprise. a year of disappointment after disappointment

Aladdin...proof that as long as you've got a sweet ride you can be a liar and still get the girl. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I am getting used to being on a different page than most in here.  IMO a handful of those movies rank up with the best of the 00s.  

I found this year to be the toughest so far to get down the 20 total: 

Reservoir Dogs  30

Glengarry Glen Ross  30

Bad Lieutenant  20

Batman Returns  20

Wayne's World  12

My Cousin Vinny  12

Bram Stoker's Dracula  12

A League of Their Own  10

Toys  10

Unforgiven  6

Aladdin  6

Brother's Keeper  6

The Last of the Mohicans  6

A Few Good Men  4

Home Alone 2  4

The Player  4

Alien 3  2

Of Mice and Men  2

Basic Instinct  2

Hoffa  2

Wish I could work these in:

Husbands and Wives

Aileen Wournos: A Portrait of a Serial Killer

White Men Can't Jump

Romper Stomper

The Crying Game

The Mighty Ducks

Scent of a Woman

Patriot Games

The Year Punk Broke

Death Becomes Her

Mr. Saturday Night

A River Runs Through It

Howard's End

Diggstown

This is an interesting inclusion, Robin Williams at close to his most unusual (and that's saying something).  I didn't consider giving it points, though I did like it more than most reviewers.  Why do you hold it in high regard? 
I always thought it looked really cool - in a Willy Wonka kind of way (big fan of that movie).  It also treats it's subject matter in manner similar to Wonka - innocence playing into savagery, like a general taking over a toy company for evil purposes.  

I'm posting this without having watched Gong Li's film, which I should probably do as I've enjoyed all her collaborations with Zhang Yimou (and because she's gorgeous).

My Cousin Vinny 30

White Men Can’t Jump 24

Honeymoon In Vegas 20

Army Of Darkness 20

Unforgiven 15

The Player 13

The Last Of The Mohicans 13

Reservoir Dogs 13

Mr. Baseball 13

The Crying Game 10

Glengarry Glen Ross 10

Chaplin 10

Mr. Saturday Night 8

Shakes The Clown 1  (withdrawn as it is a 1991 release)

Lots of good films in this year, not a struggle to use up the 200 points - actually wish there were more points to give.

I'm posting this without having watched Gong Li's film, which I should probably do as I've enjoyed all her collaborations with Zhang Yimou (and because she's gorgeous).

Shakes The Clown 1

YEAH!!!  ...but it's 1991. 

Clearly a 30 pointer for me.  

Any takes from the foreign film folks on Indochine? I’d just watch it if it were free, but looks like I would have to pay to rent. Worth the $3?

Reservoir Dogs - 30

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - 27

Bad Lieutenant - 23

Unforgiven - 23

Glengarry Glen Ross - 20

A Few Good Men - 17

School Ties - 12

Singles - 10

Army of Darkness - 10

Scent of a Woman - 7

Basic Instinct - 5

Single White Female - 5

My Cousin Vinny - 5

Far and Away - 1

Wayne's World - 1

Batman Returns - 1

Candyman - 1

A League of Their Own - 1

White Men Can't Jump - 1

fyp because, well ... it needed it. 

(yeah, left Baldwin out - let others gush at his bit, to me it's overplayed.  to. death.  least favorite part of a simply astounding movie). 
Ok, I see we covered this a bit.

Mamet and Pinter have both said “pleading” is the hardest thing to act.  You can’t fake it easily.    I think of Lemmon here and think of pleading and desperation.  And he so fully inhabits that character that it is him, even though it’s so not him.  No one else could do it now.  Mr krista saw this performed at Steppenwolf with Brian Dennehy in the role.  Dennehy was brilliant, but just nowhere near Lemmon.

Ok, I see we covered this a bit.

Mamet and Pinter have both said “pleading” is the hardest thing to act.  You can’t fake it easily.    I think of Lemmon here and think of pleading and desperation.  And he so fully inhabits that character that it is him, even though it’s so not him.  No one else could do it now.  Mr krista saw this performed at Steppenwolf with Brian Dennehy in the role.  Dennehy was brilliant, but just nowhere near Lemmon.
Lemon's desperation emanated from the screen in a physical wave of misery. If you ever wanted to deter someone from going into real estate, you'd show them his depiction of this role.

Watched a couple this weekend...

Lessons of Darkness - Werner Herzog documentary on the Kuwaiti oil fires after the Persian Gulf War.  The cinematography is outstanding and it is well-crafted (the first half of the film is mostly shot from helicopter flying above the fires).  I'm not sure I'll give it any points though.  It's hard to really recommend to anyone outside fans of Herzog, and not a movie that I really feel the need to ever watch again.  

The Player - I really enjoyed this one.  As I commented earlier, I'm generally not a fan of Hollywood-on-Hollywood type movies, which is why I had pushed this one off.  While not quite as high on the exceptions list as something like Sunset Blvd, it certainly fits in there.  Both have a similar film noir style to them, and I'm a fan of that style.  Plus, I'm a sucker for a good tracking shot, and the opening certainly qualifies for that.  

I caught Mark Felt over the weekend.  No idea if that was who Felt was, but it was entertaining enough to have sat through.  

After watching Malcom X and Chaplin, it’s odd how different these two men were yet both were under surveillance by J Edgar Hoover and were considered real threats to the country.

I have a list already of 40 flicks from 1992......jesus man.

Listing 20 will be a huge challenge. In my top 5.....all of them are 30 point films.

Ok here we go and I left off a lot of films I still enjoy....great year for movies.

Unforgiven - 30

Glengary Glennross - 30

Reservoir Dogs - 30

A League Of Their Own - 30

My Cousin Vinny - 30

A Few Good Men - 10

Scent Of A Woman - 10

Honeymoon In Vegas - 10

Alien 3 - 5

Last Of The Mohicans - 5

The Mighty Ducks - 1

Waynes World - 1

Deep Cover - 1

Dracula - 1

Aladdin - 1

School Ties - 1

Singles - 1

Single White Female - 1

Mr. Baseball - 1

Lethal Weapon 3 - 1

This was not easy.  My list is ok I guess but I wanted to get more movies on there.  So many are worthy.  Dangnabit.

I have a list already of 40 flicks from 1992......jesus man.

Listing 20 will be a huge challenge. In my top 5.....all of them are 30 point films.

Ok here we go and I left off a lot of films I still enjoy....great year for movies.

Unforgiven - 30

Glengary Glennross - 30

Reservoir Dogs - 30

A League Of Their Own - 30

My Cousin Vinny - 30

A Few Good Men - 10

Scent Of A Woman - 10

Honeymoon In Vegas - 10

Alien 3 - 5

Last Of The Mohicans - 5

The Mighty Ducks - 1

Waynes World - 1

Deep Cover - 1

Dracula - 1

Aladdin - 1

School Ties - 1

Singles - 1

Single White Female - 1

Mr. Baseball - 1

Lethal Weapon 3 - 1

Reveal hidden contents
I felt the same way - I had to "narrow" my initial list to around 42 ...and leave off 22 more.

I think I’m about down with research. I just want to see Reaevoir Dogs again to see if I will like it more.

What is the next year?

@Ilov80s - not a fan of R.Dogs at all? 
I haven’t seen it since high school. I remember liking it but lots of my friends loved it and always quoted it. It was good but I never got the adoration. Right now I have kind of in the middle as points go but I’m open to giving it another shot.

:yes:

And apparently the worst year ever for movies according tho the old geezers around here.  ;)
I think 2005 is deep, but just not top heavy. I don’t really see any movies in the 25-30 point range for me, but I do see a decent number that I’d put in the 15-20 point range.

I think 2005 is deep, but just not top heavy. I don’t really see any movies in the 25-30 point range for me, but I do see a decent number that I’d put in the 15-20 point range.
I plan on re-watching a handful of them, but this year has a couple of my favorite docs ever in Grizzly Man and Murderball, and then movies I remember thinking were great like Brokeback, Munich, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, A History of Violence, etc...  As a total movie I like Batman Begins more than Dark Knight and there are a couple great horror movies too.  Initial reaction was that all of those could be fighting for 30pts from me and I am sure I am forgetting some or something new might jump in.  

Also, I think that I do these points differently than some, and I take it that you are more in the camp of wikkid in that a 30pt movie has to be an all time great.  Like I said in an earlier post, a handful of movies from this year would be in contention for a best of the decade list from me, so that is good enough for 25-30pt consideration from me.  

I plan on re-watching a handful of them, but this year has a couple of my favorite docs ever in Grizzly Man and Murderball, and then movies I remember thinking were great like Brokeback, Munich, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, A History of Violence, etc...  As a total movie I like Batman Begins more than Dark Knight and there are a couple great horror movies too.  Initial reaction was that all of those could be fighting for 30pts from me and I am sure I am forgetting some or something new might jump in.  

Also, I think that I do these points differently than some, and I take it that you are more in the camp of wikkid in that a 30pt movie has to be an all time great.  Like I said in an earlier post, a handful of movies from this year would be in contention for a best of the decade list from me, so that is good enough for 25-30pt consideration from me.  
A few of those are ones that I’d strongly put in the 15-20 range (Grizzly Man in particular).  I haven’t seen KKBB or History of Violence — maybe I need to get some 2005 research going.

It’s more of a Potter Stewart test for me. But I wasn’t really seeing much from 2005 that I’d even put down for near the top of best of the decade for me. In my initial look, I was thinking Wallace & Gromit may end up at the top of my list, but I didn’t have a vociferously strong view about it that I think a 30 pointer requires.

Which have you seen?

I remember having varying degrees of like for:  Murderball, March of the Penguins, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, Grizzly Man, The Devil and Daniel Johnston, Why We Fight, Mad Hot Ballroom, The Aristocrats, Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
March of the Penguins, Smartest Guys in the Room, No Direction Home, Murderball, Our Brand is Crisis. 

March of the Penguins, Smartest Guys in the Room, No Direction Home, Murderball, Our Brand is Crisis. 
No Grizzly Man????????  Get on that!

Also I think The Devil and Daniel Johnston, Mad Hot Ballroom, and The Aristocrats are great and would fit into the "not making a political statement or strong perspective" criterion (apologies if I'm over-simplifying for brevity sake, and I don't mean that as a criticism in any way).  That is just going off KP's list - I haven't yet looked at the 2005 movies.  In fact I haven't looked at 1992 yet either.

No Grizzly Man????????  Get on that!

Also I think The Devil and Daniel Johnston, Mad Hot Ballroom, and The Aristocrats are great and would fit into the "not making a political statement or strong perspective" criterion (apologies if I'm over-simplifying for brevity sake, and I don't mean that as a criticism in any way).  That is just going off KP's list - I haven't yet looked at the 2005 movies.  In fact I haven't looked at 1992 yet either.
I’ll check out Grizzly but it’s not really my thing. Also, no offense taken.

I’ll check out Grizzly but it’s not really my thing. Also, no offense taken.
@Ilov80s - it comes highly recommended.  I know the outdoorsy stuff isn't in your interest sphere, but this isn't a doc like a rock climbing doc would be.  It's more of a character study and well worth the watch.  

I was about to watch “Crash” for some 2005 research, but noticed Wiki has it listed as a 2004 film.  Is that the right ruling @KarmaPolice?
@Don Quixote

Weird.  

I guess according to the rules, it is a 2004 release using the tie-breaking Wikipedia.  It has 2004 in the first sentence and it looks like it premiered at TIFF in 2004 as well.  

On the plus side, you just saved yourself from watching that overrated POS until we get to that year.  ;)

@Don Quixote

Weird.  

I guess according to the rules, it is a 2004 release using the tie-breaking Wikipedia.  It has 2004 in the first sentence and it looks like it premiered at TIFF in 2004 as well.  

On the plus side, you just saved yourself from watching that overrated POS until we get to that year.  ;)
If it weren't for the existence of Forrest Gump, that movie would be a top contender for worst best-picture winner ever.

Users who are viewing this thread