What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Final Roster Cuts - post significant & semi-significant cuts. (1 Viewer)

Seattle, SF obviously two of the more potent teams are going to be an attractive cutdown day target. What strikes me as interesting is the record number of UDFA's that made teams this year. A lot of teams are patting themselves on the back for good scouting, but a case can be made that the owners are budgeting their special teams and depth players to accomodate the hard cap.

Adam Harstad said:
Biabreakable said:
KC Chiefs - Claimed on waiver wire from other teamsSeahawks CB Ron Parker, Seahawks TE Sean McGrath, Seahawks DT Jaye Howard, BrownsLB James-Michael Johnson, 49ers CB Marcus Cooper, 49ers WR Chad Hall, Packers LB Dezman Moses.
I'd be really curious to see a net differential between how many players a team claimed, and how many of a team's cuts got claimed by other teams. The fact that a lot of Seattle and San Fran players are getting claimed is an indication of the overall talent level. The fact that Kansas City is claiming so many other teams' roster trash is an indication of the lack of talent. It's crazy to think that 7 of the 53 guys on KC's roster all failed to make the 53-man roster for a different franchise.
It was also when BB and JJ previously traded current picks for future years.

Good player or not, if he doesn't make your team it's a bad draft pick. Someone needs to remind Seattle and San Fran of this. Still though, I'm not in anyway enamored with SF WRs and feel like they should have drafted more then. Nonetheless, there is a downside to drafting players that wind up playing elsewhere.

It may be similar to a guy like Taye Biddle(if I got the name right) of years ago, but I'm stuck on Quentin Sims. I think there's a good player there buried on the Pats.

Adam Harstad said:
Biabreakable said:
KC Chiefs - Claimed on waiver wire from other teamsSeahawks CB Ron Parker, Seahawks TE Sean McGrath, Seahawks DT Jaye Howard, BrownsLB James-Michael Johnson, 49ers CB Marcus Cooper, 49ers WR Chad Hall, Packers LB Dezman Moses.
I'd be really curious to see a net differential between how many players a team claimed, and how many of a team's cuts got claimed by other teams. The fact that a lot of Seattle and San Fran players are getting claimed is an indication of the overall talent level. The fact that Kansas City is claiming so many other teams' roster trash is an indication of the lack of talent. It's crazy to think that 7 of the 53 guys on KC's roster all failed to make the 53-man roster for a different franchise.
It would take some work to compile all of the lists. It might be useful however for gauging the overall depth of talent of teams.

It gets muddier however because of the coaching changes. Many players who are very talented (James-Michael Johnson for example) just do not fit the new scheme/goals of the new coaches. Thus more turnover of rosters where coaching changes have been made.

Last edited by a moderator:
2: How many undrafted players made teams?What if I told you that two rounds' worth of undrafted players made teams. Would you believe me? There are 32 picks in every round, which makes 64 players over two rounds. As of Sunday, there are 64 undrafted rookies on 53-man rosters. Somebody really needs to look at a draft process which led all 32 teams to skip these 64 men who went into camp with very little chance of earning a job.

Of course, there were plenty of players from the "big" schools on the undrafted list who made it, but plenty of small-school players are on active rosters, too. Players from Columbia, Lehigh, Valdosta State, Saginaw Valley, Idaho, Middle Tennessee, Grand Valley, Montana State, Alabama State and Stephen F. Austin made teams.

College scouting directors need to do a better job of digging out the draftable players around the country. They need to go back and look at why they passed on many of these players. Take a look at the sixth and seventh rounds of last year's draft. There were 86 players selected in those two rounds with all the compensatory picks and 44 of those players are on active rosters. That's 20 fewer than the undrafted men.

Look no further than the Green Bay Packers, who will start four former undrafted players. Center Evan Dietrich-Smith, fullback John Kuhn, and defensive backs M.D. Jennings and Sam Shields all were ignored in the draft.

3: What positions do most undrafted players occupy?Here's a breakdown by position of where the undrafted players came from to make teams. Take a look at the number of undrafted linebackers to make teams. Quarterbacks (3), running backs (5), tight ends (4), wide receivers (3), guards (3), tackles (5), fullbacks (1), defensive ends (7), defensive tackles (4), linebackers (15), safeties (6), cornerbacks (6) and long snappers (2).

4: What teams got the most from the undrafted group?You can always make the case that poor teams provide an easier road for undrafted players. So a team like Jacksonville, with four undrafted rookies, isn't a big surprise.

But what about the Saints (5), Texans (4), Falcons (3) and Seahawks (3)?

I have to give Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff lots of credit for identifying his three undrafted rookies to make the team: right tackle Ryan Schrader (Valdosta State), LT Terren Jones(Alabama State) and linebacker Joplo Bartu (Texas State). That's a great example of finding talent.

5: How many players were on injured reserve?Last week, I pointed out that there were already 125 players on injured reserve with one preseason game to go. Last year, on Sept. 1, there were 82 players on injured reserve. This year, the number is 141. A rule change allows players more free time in the spring because they supposedly need the rest. So we practice half the amount of time we used to practice, spending more time in meetings and walk-thrus. That total -- 141 -- on injured reserve is almost three football teams' worth of men being paid yet unable to play this season.

It's too early to conclude if the new system is better, but it sure is starting to look like there is reason for concern.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/23434009/five-things-to-know-what-goes-into-finalizing-nfl-rosters-at-53

Interesting article Bia.

I feel like Saginaw Valley has been an underrated program for like 20 years now. I wouldn't be surprised if they put a pro in the NFL every year or every other.

Not a draft expert at all, but I think the rationale we all use in our drafts is the same the NFL teams use.

Why use a 2nd round pick (value you believe the player will actually have) on a player that seems to be graded out in the 5th/6th by everyone else. This carries straight to FA pickups. Especially the small school players or backups at a big school that a scout noticed (or was informed of by a trusted coaching staff member) are not likely to be drafted anyway - so don't waste a pick on them, use it on a graded player that has a higher expected draft slot.

As to linebackers (and we are noticing it with RBs as well) - supply and demand - if everyone starts passing on the non-elite at these positions then everyone knows some quality will likely be available late or as UDFA. Similar to fantasy football drafts with QBs.

I agree Ksquared.

Most of this is just self-fulfilling prophecy into cognitive bias. Re-enforcing the perception every step of the way.

It starts all the way back in high school. The draftniks and scouts rate a player a certain grade. That grade causes the player to have more or less options as far as what school they can go to. The highest rated prospects get recruited most competitively by the biggest schools. The lower rated prospects have to settle for the smaller schools.

The biggest schools are collections of the most talented players playing against teams with less firepower. This causes more of these players to be successful. This causes these players to again be ranked as the best prospects in college football.

Then the NFL for the most part drafts based off of this. They share many of the same sources of information and come to very similar conclusions.

But then once they get to the NFL level. They are not one of the best players on their team anymore. They might not even be good enough to justify more than practice squad.

Think of all of the really good players who don't make an NFL roster. They keep working at it. They keep trying. These guys who stick to a practice roster or play special teams for awhile at the highest level. Some of them get better. Some of them get a lot better. And these are the veterans that a rookie has to beat out. No small task no matter how high they were picked.

All the talk and all the predicting. I think maybe 80% or more of the narratives can be traced back to these high school rankings, only to be recycled, reused and reinforced by the echo chamber of the experts trying to protect their reputation/jobs.

When the Vikings traded away 3 1st round draft picks plus more to Dallas for Hershel Walker. The Vikings did not have new talent come from the draft for a long time. But they found John Randle who only needed a chance to play to be great. There are likely many potential pro bowl caliber players who just ended up having to do something else because the right people didn't like them enough early on in the process.

NYG-Placed RB Andre Brown on the injured reserve/return list. Signed DE Adewale Ojomo from the practice squad. Signed OL Sam Baker to the practice squad.

Cincy-Placed WR Andrew Hawkins on the injured reserve/return list. Signed OT Dennis Roland. Signed QB Greg McElroy to the practice squad.

same espn link

Jets signed Ben Obamanu

Giants Jacobs

Pats waived Sims again....cmon someone pick him up!

Steelers lost three and signed a K

Placed LB Larry Foote, C Maurkice Pouncey and RB LaRod Stephens-Howling on the injured reserve list. Signed RB Jonathan Dwyer, C/G Fernando Velasco and K Shayne Graham.

Users who are viewing this thread