What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Finally MLB (2 Viewers)

Went from my best night ever to having one of my worst performing cash LUs.  Didn't play much (my usual $3-4), but was near the bottom of each contest.  Scored decent for a normal night (about 112), but not on the night that the Coors bats were chalk, I didn't have enough, and they blew up.  Looking at the rosters, people were just going bottom barrel Ps to get all the Col bats in there.  I am still in the mindset of paying up for P for at least one of the guys, so that's not the way I went.  Oh well, maybe it's a case of just not playing cash on Coors nights until I learn more about the pitchers and how to identify a decent cheap option. 

Today I just put in 3 no research 25cent entries.  One for each slate. 

Went from my best night ever to having one of my worst performing cash LUs.  Didn't play much (my usual $3-4), but was near the bottom of each contest.  Scored decent for a normal night (about 112), but not on the night that the Coors bats were chalk, I didn't have enough, and they blew up.  Looking at the rosters, people were just going bottom barrel Ps to get all the Col bats in there.  I am still in the mindset of paying up for P for at least one of the guys, so that's not the way I went.  Oh well, maybe it's a case of just not playing cash on Coors nights until I learn more about the pitchers and how to identify a decent cheap option. 

Today I just put in 3 no research 25cent entries.  One for each slate. 
I don't like playing cash on Coors slate's as I feel forced into getting some exposure. Used carrasco last night with Reynolds and Arenado that put up 166+ and cashed 2 50/50s. My fade coors lineup with skaggs at SP put up 176.4 and barely cashed in a $1 gp for $2 (168+cash line) so made $5.60 on $3.

Don't want to jinx myself but have a nice gpp going with Foltynewicz- 181 pts and 2-3 innings to go for most of my bats and 1 in extra innings.

somehow cashed both my 50/50s while scoring 95 pts. Was hanging in the top 6-10 in the 5k stolen base most of the day but couldn't hold on and finished in 11th with 190.2pts-still cashed $40. So $6 in $47.20 out for the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap- that was probably the most fun I've had for any dfs night.  Put about $15 in on DK last night.  Mostly for 3 cash LUs at $4 total each, and then I did 12 entries in 25cent big gpps and 254 man contests.  Sat at the computer about 10 to check scores - and I am winning $42!  Nice!  I was putzing around with other stuff, and shortly after that, I down to $21 as I slipped a bit in my 254 man contest.  Still, winning's winning.  Shortly after that I am back to $43, as I assume Trout hit is HR. THEN, it jumps to $126.  WTF?? Evidently I was sneaking up the boards in the huge contest I was in, and the AZ late surge (especially Goldschmidt since I was one of the few at the top with him) vaulted me up to 3rd place for $100.  Anyway, somebody ended up catching me by a point in the extra innings (not sure how, as I had to get to sleep), but still ended up 4th out of 28,000+ for $75 on my 25cent entry. 

I also took 1st and 4th in the 254man contest, so that was another $14 on 50cents.  Add in my 1 of 2 cash LUs that did well, and it was $15 in, and about $100 out.  The LU that took 1st in the contest was my cash LU I posted above with Braun/Harper/Trout, so I learned a lesson there to throw those in a small gpp when I like the players. 

My gpp LU that did well:  Kluber/Pomer - Hedges - Goldschmidt - Peraza - Lamb - C.Seager - Conforto - Pollock - Schwarber. 
Awsome

I don't like playing cash on Coors slate's as I feel forced into getting some exposure. Used carrasco last night with Reynolds and Arenado that put up 166+ and cashed 2 50/50s. My fade coors lineup with skaggs at SP put up 176.4 and barely cashed in a $1 gp for $2 (168+cash line) so made $5.60 on $3.

Don't want to jinx myself but have a nice gpp going with Foltynewicz- 181 pts and 2-3 innings to go for most of my bats and 1 in extra innings.
I had some Coors exposure today, but still was a dud.  I guess I just had the wrong guys.  Also, I think this is the first time I didn't put in a WTF Mariners 25cent entry and they get 11runs.  :wall:

Having a good day, my cash LU only scored 109 in the main slate but was good enoght to cash 10 out of 10 $2 double UPS and a $3 GPP scored 163+ to cash and my PGA GPP cashed.

Now I have a MLB $3 GPP LU in the 40K contest sitting at 185.3, currently 193 out of 15868 with Harper left in the last game of the slate.  here's to hoping he stays hot

It was exciting for sure.  I think the main one was a hybrid of the Optimizer + my guys.  I think I told it to do an AZ stack and I used those bats + Seager.  Then I tweaked the LU from there and did a different SP2 and added Hedges and Conforto and 2 other bats (that was at the last minute too). 

I still haven't figured out a setting I like to spit out cash lineups I agree with as it always just seems to stack up a couple games.  I was thinking maybe limit it to batting order 1-5 and no more than 2 players on a team?  Usually will spit out one with a high priced C and I could just tweak around a bit from there.  Seems like the last few times my cash LUs have been doing better than the optimizer, but I do like using it for different gpps that I might not think of.  So far a lot of it is just the one stop shopping for a lot of info, and I like the color coordination for the players seeing and increase in ISO, wOBA, etc.. 

I am getting better at batters, but still need a lot of work on the pitchers.  Are you guys fairly successful, and if so, what tips can you offer?

I have been looking at SO%, odds of winning, opponent SO%.  Couple other things.  I am maybe 50%, and on a 2 P site like DK, I need to get better in this department.  Seems like about 20% of the time I have a guy with low single digits or even negative points.  

I look for high strikeout rate SP facing weak OFF, vegas money and over/under lines. Sometimes its just take the lefty SP vs Dodgers,Balt or Detroit.

it doesn't always work out as today Salazar was a huge favorite (-185?) has K upside facing a horrible OFF and got lit up. Hes was over 78% owned in my 50/50s so I still cashed.

Most of the time I either get the P right or the bats but not too often both together.

Having a good day, my cash LU only scored 109 in the main slate but was good enoght to cash 10 out of 10 $2 double UPS and a $3 GPP scored 163+ to cash and my PGA GPP cashed.

Now I have a MLB $3 GPP LU in the 40K contest sitting at 185.3, currently 193 out of 15868 with Harper left in the last game of the slate.  here's to hoping he stays hot
I hit in PGA too this week. GPP 321.6  32/2378  $15.

GL tonight

I look for high strikeout rate SP facing weak OFF, vegas money and over/under lines. Sometimes its just take the lefty SP vs Dodgers,Balt or Detroit.

it doesn't always work out as today Salazar was a huge favorite (-185?) has K upside facing a horrible OFF and got lit up. Hes was over 78% owned in my 50/50s so I still cashed.

Most of the time I either get the P right or the bats but not too often both together.
Yeah it feels that way here too. 

Was doing some reading and got some (hopefully) good tips on Ps.  One thing I wasn't really looking at was IP/g.  Forgot that you get 2-3pts/IP on the sites and that and SOs are the main generator of stats.  I was all over Archer tonight and it cost me big.  I was looking around and saw that he has averaged something like 2.5 innings/g. 

Will try to stare at this more tomorrow.  It's an interesting slate - Nats going to Coors and a couple other games in hitter friendly parks. 

SP is a minefield today so gpp only for me. Going with Garret and Liriano with Coors and Ariz bats and some Dodger's Lefty's.
That's mostly the way to go I think.  I did one cash LU, but only for a few bucks to hopefully pay for my gpps if they flop.  Went cheaper on P for cash and was able to fit in 3 Coors bats in Blackmon, Harper, and Reynolds along with Grandal, Trout, Seager, Moust.  But don't feel great about those Ps. 

gpp I just threw $3-4 into the 25cent tourneys and 250contests.  Of course some Coors, but I did like the AZ game and the Tex/Min game, so there were stacks from those teams too. 

I think I have $7 total in today.

Yep, about what we thought about the pitching situation.  Garrett got lit up, but was about 67% owned in my cash games.  Still, -16pts hurts and not sure my cash games are going to get there despite the extremely low cutoffs.  Looks like my low % guy on the roster is Trout, so I would need him to have a decent game. 

Gpps aren't doing a lot better.  I did switch out a lot of Garrett for guys like Gonzalez and Chavez just for the WTF lower ownership in tourneys, so that was good.  Still, like RW and I were saying, I did OK with the Pitchers in gpps, but the bats were off.  

I am actually surprised how low owned some of thethe Coors guys were in gpps.  Reynolds at 11%, Arenado 17%, almost all of the Wash guys were under 20% too.  Basically the Chic and Milwaukee stacks looked to be winning all the money, and I played neither.  0 clue why I didn't play Milwaukee if I was off Garrett in gpps b/c I thought he would be highly owned. 

wow was that a bad night to be a SP. Should have just stayed away but loved the hitters matchups last night. oh well only out $4.

Tonight has Kershaw and Coors going but if you go Ker on FD at 12.5k you have 2.8k per player for the rest of your team. Super busy in real life so may take a break until Thurs.

wow was that a bad night to be a SP. Should have just stayed away but loved the hitters matchups last night. oh well only out $4.

Tonight has Kershaw and Coors going but if you go Ker on FD at 12.5k you have 2.8k per player for the rest of your team. Super busy in real life so may take a break until Thurs.
Yeah, that's rough.  Going to be interesting to put something together. 

It will be an interesting night.  A few games postponed, cold/rainy weather elsewhere, and Coors (which also looks to be cold and rainy).  I actually shifted a lot of my bats to the games in Texas and Az early in the day, so we will.  

Also, Motter is becoming my favorite player.  That guy is $$ for LUs.  

Cash LUs went 0 for but my GPP LU with Wash stack paired with JC Ramirez put up 198.6, small loss on the night, down $9

I agree on Motter

Won  both cash but lost both gpp so down .40. 

Motter, Hilger and Hedges/Mina have been Staples for weeks at 2-2.6k. FD finally has them over 3k so will use them less.

Played 0 Tigers so of course they put up 19 lol

Holy #### what a high scoring night.  The other day when I won $75 my score was in the low 180s.  Last night I had a roster that had 205pts and it won $1.50.  :lol: .  I think I was down 20cents on the night. 

Not sure WTF is going on today on DK, but there are 0 cash games.  Just one huge SE $5 2x and a couple ME $2 and $5 ones (which I never play).  I have never seen that before.  I guess it's a gpp only day today. 

There are a couple guys that are/were way too low $ on DK.  Thames JUST got put in the upper tier at 5K today, but before that he was under 4K.  Motter actually went down in price today and is only 3K which is dirt cheap, especially since he will probably see a batting order bump with Haniger hurt.  Other guys that seem to be locked into my cash games b/c they are always underpriced are C.Hernandez, Lamb, Moust, Gyorko, and Det Cs. 

Speaking of Det Cs, @Raging weasel - I assume that McCann is the DH?  I was debating all day which to use yesterday and ended up on Avila b/c of the batting order, but McCann has destroyed every time I have used him too.  Is there something I should look for as to who I should use when??

For the early only slate put in 2 $3 GPPs super stacking the Cincy/Mill game

Karns/Perez/Thames/Villar/Moustakas/Correra/Hamilton/Braun/Schebler

Karns/perez/Votto/Pereza/Shaw/Cozart/Hamilton/Braun/Perez

Unless I figure something out, I think I am done with cash LUs.  I haven't been keeping track, but if I think if there isn't at least one stud P (preference is multiple), then it just seems it's "jam in bats" and there is a lot more variance and higher cash lines.  Just don't seem to have success overall with them.  Probably not even 50% now that I think about it.  Possible that I am not picking good cash players too.  :shrug:

What I do like is these 25cent entries on DK.  I think it fits my indecisive nature well.  On FD I would like the Az stack and play it for $1.  This way I can play that $1 and have 4 variations of it.  I think it helps a lot, especially since you have to do 2 SPs. 

Tonight I was $9 in, and $19 out.  had $4 in on cash and didn't hit one of them.  so the $5 in gpps hit for $19.  This might just be what I do most days now - 12-20 LUs for gpps.  Snagged another 1st place in a 254 contest for $10 and that same LU got a top 40 finish in the huge(23.4K entries) gpp for $6.  Tonight it was one of my non-stack LUs that hit too:  Paxton/Severino - Chirinos - Goldschmidt - Dozier - Gallo - Turner - Cruz - Pollack - K.Davis.    Most of my gpps just had the 4 Pitchers of Severino/Paxton/Bundy/Gsellman.  There were a couple other LUs that had damn good bats but were sunk by Gsellman.  Long story short, I am really liking these 254 contests on DK, and might just focus on these instead of a cash LU.  Instead of that $3-4 I have been putting in a 50/50, it might be better in the long run (given my low success rate) just to throw 12 LUs in a couple of these contests. 

Went 0/2 in cash-didnt have the right Coors bats. 

1/2 in gpp won $3 with a Paxton + Wash/Tex lineup that scored 188.4

Don't like the slate today so taking the night off.

I have zero willpower-lol

played early slate gpp for $1 and cashed for $2

did the mixup    sale,moore,trea,calhoun,nova

looks like Ill be even for the day unless Calhoun goes nuts
I hear that. 

I should at least be in the + for the afternoon.  Not much right now, but I am in 4th and 5th place in the same 254 man contest.  5th place is done, and the other has Kluber going.  Fittingly it is the LU that was probably the most ill-advised in that I started Gonzalez to jam in the Wash guys.  So that one had Murphy/Turner/Harper/Eaton.  Hit on one Detroit guy with Collins, but it was the first time Avila hasn't come through for me. 

Tonight I am basically just putting $1.50 on Arizona.  I have 5 LUs each with 4 Az guys and Sale.  Then I just jammed in cheap guys from other games depending on who my SP2 was.  Oak guys were dirt cheap and were moved up the batting order to 1 and 2.  So I basically punted at C, and have guys like Rosales, Decker, Goins, Moreland, Wong, Simmons, Joyce, Garcia, Lowrie and Pillar rocking out with my Az guys. 

I did some cash tonight with about the same lineup you mentioned. Sale 4 Ariz bats, Decker, lowrie and plouffe. Sale 91% owned in cash but only 29 in the mix-up so looks like that could cash too.

Good luck

I did some cash tonight with about the same lineup you mentioned. Sale 4 Ariz bats, Decker, lowrie and plouffe. Sale 91% owned in cash but only 29 in the mix-up so looks like that could cash too.

Good luck
Damn - 90%?  Shouldn't be surprised on a 4 game slate with one decent P option.  I guess I was hoping people had trouble fitting in Sale + 4 Az bats in the gpps, but that's probably just about how everybody attacked it.  It might just come down to scrubs and SP2 tonight. 

Looks like it will be about $3.50 in and $8.30 out for the afternoon.  Ended up #3 and #9 in the contest, a couple top 35 in contests, and a top 100 in the large gpp.  Sad that I hit 30% of my entries and 2x+, but that's the nature of gpps I guess. 

Just looked and Sale is 67% owned in the gpp tonight.  I also saw that the StL/Toront game is putting up some points at single digit ownership, so this could be an interesting night. 

ETA:  and of course I have the couple guys that aren't producing in that game ;)

Well, Az guys I had didn't go as planned, so last night wasn't good.  Still $5.50 in, $9.50 out for the day. 

On to today's research...

Had a great last two days, up $400

Cash LU Wed went for 203.4 and cashed my $6 NBA GPP

and then last night I won 2 $5 100 player leagues with my cash LU that went for 173.4 and cashed 15 $2 DBL Ups for a total of $310

LOL, just looked, my late night GPP LU cashed as well scoring 148.3, $4 GPP won $8 and a $500 mini rally $5 GPP won $20

Been moving away from DFN LUs and creating my own but I am starting my LUs with their #1 OPT LU and then changing as I see fit.

LOL, just looked, my late night GPP LU cashed as well scoring 148.3, $4 GPP won $8 and a $500 mini rally $5 GPP won $20

Been moving away from DFN LUs and creating my own but I am starting my LUs with their #1 OPT LU and then changing as I see fit.
That's about where I am.  Use the optimizer to see what games they like, and what value guys they try to spit out.  Also like to look in the last hour at the pitchers to break ties, as it's really nice that they keep updating win odds and opposing teams' SO% as the batting orders come out. 

I have 14 LUs down right now, and will narrow that down to 12 - probably 4 of a mix of players and no stacks, 2 AZ stacks, 2 Seattle, 2 Cubs, 1 Milw, 1 NY, 1 White Sox.  So that's $3.  Then I will decide on the 6 I like best and double those up in the 254 man contests, and then my favorite 2 I will also put in a 254 man winner-take-all contest.  $5 total tonight feels right. 

That's about where I am.  Use the optimizer to see what games they like, and what value guys they try to spit out.  Also like to look in the last hour at the pitchers to break ties, as it's really nice that they keep updating win odds and opposing teams' SO% as the batting orders come out. 
:thumbup:

Yes I always try and wait until about 45 minutes from the start of the slate to start creating my LUs for the slate

I have 14 LUs down right now, and will narrow that down to 12 - probably 4 of a mix of players and no stacks, 2 AZ stacks, 2 Seattle, 2 Cubs, 1 Milw, 1 NY, 1 White Sox.  So that's $3.  Then I will decide on the 6 I like best and double those up in the 254 man contests, and then my favorite 2 I will also put in a 254 man winner-take-all contest.  $5 total tonight feels right. 
I don't even look during the day, I just get my placeholder in with the contests I want for the slate and then I wait till about 45 minutes before lock to create my LUs.

I will check the weather and the over/unders throughout the day

Had a great last two days, up $400

Cash LU Wed went for 203.4 and cashed my $6 NBA GPP

and then last night I won 2 $5 100 player leagues with my cash LU that went for 173.4 and cashed 15 $2 DBL Ups for a total of $310
Very nice! And you're the Jags fan too right so capped the night with a great pick in the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread