What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Finley re-signs with Packers (1 Viewer)

The biggest hurdle in franchising/trading Flynn is that Flynn needs to agree to a deal with the team that GB agrees to a trade with, or said team won't do the deal. So Flynn is going to have to confirm to the Packers that he is willing to take himself off the free agent market, allow the Packers to work out a trade for him with a team he has no choice of, and then he will sign a long term deal with a team he now has much less leverage with.

Why would Flynn do that? Because he is grateful to the Pack for drafting him?
All of the rest of this would be true if the bolded were true. Flynn is still under contract with the Packers. Free agency has not yet started. The Packers and the Dolphins could be chatting right now, especially if any other teams have contacted the Packers about Flynn.Flynn does not have to agree. He can be franchise tagged and moved.
I think you're missing his point. No team is going to give up anything valuable to the Packers for Flynn unless Flynn agrees to a long term contract with that team. Why would say Miami give up a second round pick just so they can have Flynn for one season where they pay him $14MM?

The biggest hurdle in franchising/trading Flynn is that Flynn needs to agree to a deal with the team that GB agrees to a trade with, or said team won't do the deal. So Flynn is going to have to confirm to the Packers that he is willing to take himself off the free agent market, allow the Packers to work out a trade for him with a team he has no choice of, and then he will sign a long term deal with a team he now has much less leverage with.

All of the rest of this would be true if the bolded were true. Flynn is still under contract with the Packers. Free agency has not yet started. The Packers and the Dolphins could be chatting right now, especially if any other teams have contacted the Packers about Flynn.Flynn does not have to agree. He can be franchise tagged and moved.
1) As far as I know, they can't discuss players under contract right now.2) If Flynn doesn't agree to a contract, then it would be two 1st round picks.

I think you're missing his point. No team is going to give up anything valuable to the Packers for Flynn unless Flynn agrees to a long term contract with that team. Why would say Miami give up a second round pick just so they can have Flynn for one season where they pay him $14MM?
Again, I think the logic is misleading because it starts with an opinion that is not necessarily true. The word on the street is that "anything valuable" does not have to be two 1st round picks, or even one 1st round pick. Maybe they will take a 2nd rounder or two 3rd rounders. All of those options are more valuable than a single late 3rd, which is the compensatory valuation. A team like the Browns may be interested and the "franchise and trade" tactic has been done before.

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:
'Donnybrook said:
'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'Sudoku_in_the_Bathtub said:
Flynn will be franchised. And some team will pay the price (think Kolb/Cassel compensation)

Nice resigning by Pack.
And if they don't?Drafting Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, trading for Peyton, signing Orton is less risky than trading a 1st rounder or more + paying someone starting money with 2 career starts.

Trade 3rd rounder=Peyton

Sign Orton, draft Tannehill in the second round, spend 1st rounder on a need

ETA:

How have those teams performed post Kolb/Cassel trades?

Chiefs 21-27 and a QB rating in the 80's

Cardinals 3-6 and a QB rating of 81
I will play devils advocate here. What if the price for Flynn is a second rounder with the franchise tag applied? Luck and RGIII will be long gone. Peyton's health is a huge question mark and you can't trade for him with his current contract. No guantees that Tannehill will even make it to the second round. For a team like Miami, it becomes a question of whether Flynn will be better than Orton and the other free agent QBs. Philbin might want a QB who's skills he is already familiar with.
:goodposting: Hit the nail on the head with everything I was going to post.

I don't think Tannehill makes it to 2nd. Brandon Weeden might due to his age (29 this October). So the real decision IMO is him against Matt Flynn. Worst case is getting a 2nd for Flynn. And given the overall history of 2nd round QB picks drafted.....that's not a bad price at all if you feel he's starting QB in the league.

You have a # of QB needy teams in the league: Seattle, Washington, Cleveland, Miami, Jets, Arizona, Jacksonville, Indy. [Manning is going to be a wildcard -- which is why I threw the Jets in]

There's going to be a market for Flynn. Franchising is the no brainer here. (Was surprised there was any previous thoughts of not doing so).
NYJ-Sanchez will get at least one more yearJacksonville- Gabbert is 22 years old, give him more than one year to show he isn't a startable QB

Indy- They're taking Luck

Arizona- They're not giving up on Kolb after one year and then trading for + giving a contract to another Kolb type of player.

That leaves Seattle, Washington, Cleveland:

Seattle-Seahawks GM John Schneider insists he won't make a "panic" move at quarterback because "it can set the organization back."

"That may disappoint fans, because they want to see an instant guy and have that instant success," Schneider said. "But really, you're better off continuing to build your team." Schneider's comments suggest the Seahawks will be reluctant to overpay for free agent Matt Flynn or reach for Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill at No. 12 overall.

Washington/Miami/Cleveland- RGIII will go to one of these teams, Ryan Tannehill is available, Peyton Manning, Kyle Orton, etc.

I could actually see Cleveland not addressing QB or just signing Orton. They seem to be going the Seattle route of ball control offense.

Why would a team pay anything extra for Flynn when I don't see a bidding war for him? It's kind of like having a FF owner putting a veteran on the block when they're in rebuild mode. Why would you overpay when you know they have to get rid of them?
Pretty much disagree with everything in your post, outside of the obvious (Luck/Indy, RG3/Cleveland,Miami,Washington). Don't think Orton's going to be a big factor in anything. (He'll be at best competing for a starting job)Why did the Cardinals pay (Kolb)? (no offseason to boot) Why did the Chiefs pay (Cassel)? Texans (Schaub)? Because they felt the QB would make their team better. It's going to be no different with Flynn....all it takes is one franchise to be interested.

Franchising him (Flynn) is the no brainer. (I expect it to happen in short order)

Can't wait to see where Manning goes..... (my feeling is these teams you/they claim "are set" as is....suddenly won't be when he hits FA).

Last edited by a moderator:

Again, I think the logic is misleading because it starts with an opinion that is not necessarily true. The word on the street is that "anything valuable" does not have to be two 1st round picks, or even one 1st round pick. Maybe they will take a 2nd rounder or two 3rd rounders. All of those options are more valuable than a single late 3rd, which is the compensatory valuation. A team like the Browns may be interested and the "franchise and trade" tactic has been done before.
Sure it's not a "necessarily" true, but do you think the Browns will trade a second round pick or two third round picks for a one year rental at the price of $14 MM?For all practical purposes it is true that a team is not going to deal for Flynn unless they are allowed a window to negotiate for a long term deal first.

oh, and "Finley rocks" for those worried about the postings veering off topic.

The biggest hurdle in franchising/trading Flynn is that Flynn needs to agree to a deal with the team that GB agrees to a trade with, or said team won't do the deal. So Flynn is going to have to confirm to the Packers that he is willing to take himself off the free agent market, allow the Packers to work out a trade for him with a team he has no choice of, and then he will sign a long term deal with a team he now has much less leverage with. Why would Flynn do that? Because he is grateful to the Pack for drafting him?
I don't think the Packers do it unless they have some "talks" and know they have a suitor that will work for both parties.

Users who are viewing this thread