What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First Super Bowl that you remember watching? (1 Viewer)

GreedoShotFirst

Footballguy
Just curious. It seems to me that when we get into the "all time great" type of posts, very few FBG's bring up anything earlier than the mid 80's. There are of course exceptions and if you are one of them please take no offense. Hell, even if you aren't take no offense. There is nothing wrong with being young, I'm jus curious as to who out there has been following the game for how long. Personally, the first SB that I really remember is XII, Cowboys over the Broncos after the 1977 season.

I know I watched a couple of Super Bowls before this but don't remember anything about them. The first one I remember in detail isSteelers-Rams '79I thought the Rams were the better team at the time. I was six years old and over at my grandparents' house to watch it.

First one I remember is the first 49ers/Bengals (SB XVI) after watching "The Catch" in the NFC Championship game.

I know I watched a couple of Super Bowls before this but don't remember anything about them. The first one I remember in detail isSteelers-Rams '79I thought the Rams were the better team at the time. I was six years old and over at my grandparents' house to watch it.
I'm pretty similar to Chris. I'm sure I watched Superbowl XII between the Cowboys and Broncos but now that I think about it I do remember some of that game (I had just turned 7).I vividly remember Superbowl XIII because I was a huge Cowboy and Roger Staubach fan back then.Unlike Chris I knew Pittsburg was going to dominate XIV.

Being a Colts fan & 6 years old at the time, I remember crying after Super Bowl III. Although, I probably didn't really understand why I was crying - I just remember this deathly silence around the house after the game.

I was probably in the room for the first 2 SBs, but I can't remember watching them. But I can remember watching the 1966 World Series (I was 4) and my dad commenting on how great Kofax was as he was facing the Orioles.

I remember the Dolphins vs Redskins in Superbowl VII. I was 7. I guess I can remember my age when I'm older by the Superbowl number.

QUOTE (djcolts @ Jan 15 2004, 04:08 PM) The one where Dallas beat Denver (SB XII??) Me too. Same here. Was 7.Remember much more vividly the one two years later - XIV - PIT over the Ferragamo-led Rams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get into football until I was older than most of you. First one I watched (and still have a videotape of) was Super Bowl 22 where the Redskins crushed the Broncos 42-10. I liked that one because I hated Elway for beating my Browns. The announcers were all hyping Elway when they led 10-0, saying no team had ever lost after leading by more than 7 points in the super bowl. Then came that wonderful 35 point avalanche in the second quarter. I watched that so many times.

Super Bowl XI - Vikings-Raiders. My family wanted the Vikings (they were NFC fans) but I thought the Raiders' helmets were so cool. That was probably the first game I watched from start to finish. After every TD, I'd run and tell my mom, and then she'd accurately predict that the team was about to get one more point. I was amazed that she was right every time.GB being seven.

Super Bowl XV I believe it was, Oakland Raiders over the Philadelphia Eages.

The BlueOnion
this one's mine - watching with my Uncle (who is only ten years older than me) at my grandmothers house.

Super Bowl XI - Vikings-Raiders. My family wanted the Vikings (they were NFC fans) but I thought the Raiders' helmets were so cool. That was probably the first game I watched from start to finish. After every TD, I'd run and tell my mom, and then she'd accurately predict that the team was about to get one more point. I was amazed that she was right every time.GB being seven.
GB your mom being hilarious :thumbup:

The first NFL v. AFL Championship Game later referred to as Superbowl I.I remember switching (manually turning a channel dial) channels back and forth as the game was similtaneously broadcast by two different networks. I guess at the time they had not yet worked out which league had the broadcast rights to the game so both official networks broadcast it simultaneously. At the time I thought that was pretty amazing stuff.

I have seen all but Super Bowl I and Super Bowl VI. As a Colts fan, I'm still sickened by Super Bowl III. I still think it was fixed, but that's for another thread. I tossed out a 10" black and white tv out the top floor of our house after that game. I got my Axx whipped good for that one.

I THINK the first one was Bears v Pats. The superbowl shuffle and the fridge standout in my mind.

Super Bowl 9 (or IX for you Romans)Total domination by the Steelers. Vikes at 0.8 yards per carry. 119 total yards

I also remember some of Super Bowl XII (I was eight). That was the first year that I really began watching football. I remember wanting Dallas to win because of the cheerleaders. :D

First one I remember is the first 49ers/Bengals (SB XVI) after watching "The Catch" in the NFC Championship game.
same here, i also remeber that game made the Joe Montana and Ronnie Lott "in action" football cards my two most prized possesions the followinf year. ;) Im 30 by the way. :)

Super Bowl XV I believe it was, Oakland Raiders over the Philadelphia Eages.

The BlueOnion
:thumbup: That's mine too, and the entire reason why I am a Raiders fan today.

It was at my uncle's house, and my older brother was already a Raiders fan, and I was instantly hooked. I remember watching other football games earlier on, but this was the first Superbowl I watched the whole way through and really got into it and started to appreciate the mechanics of the sport.

Raiders were the wildcard underdogs that year, and Flores guided them through the playoffs with grit and determination. Eagles were the dominant force in the NFC under Vermeil.

Raiders wore white. And they dominated the game from the opening kickoff. It makes my heart light to think of the names:

Plunkett, Hendricks, Branch, Chandler, Kenny King, Matt Millen, Art Shell, Upshaw, Chris Bahr.

Ah...good days.

The one where Dallas beat Denver (SB XII??)
Me too. My dad was cheering for the Broncos so I cheered for the Cowboys. We won, and I've been a Cowboy fan ever since. P.S. I am 32. :brush:

Niners over the Dolphins in '85 (Superbowl XIX I believe). I remember thinking football is so dumb because everyone just just dogpiles the guy with the ball. How boring.

I've seen them all. My folks had season tickets from day one of the Dallas Texans coming to KC. So I kind of remember NO SUPER BOWLS!! I remember how cool it was when they decided to play the NFL champs against the AFL champs. I also recall when the college all star team played the NFL winner, but barely. I'm tired all of a sudden,,,,,,,,,,,nap time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D

I've seen them all. My folks had season tickets from day one of the Dallas Texans coming to KC. So I kind of remember NO SUPER BOWLS!! I remember how cool it was when they decided to play the NFL champs against the AFL champs. I also recall when the college all star team played the NFL winner, but barely. I'm tired all of a sudden,,,,,,,,,,,nap time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D
I also remember when the Super Bowl champs played the college all-stars. They almost always got blown out. I believe the Bears lost to the college all-stars before the Super Bowl era. I wish the college all-stars would play the team with the first draft pick (before trades). I think it would have been more competitive.

those two played in '81 and '88.
I'm thinkin of '88 then cuz of Ickey Woods. I Ronnie Lott creamin him.However, I also remember a lot of the Chicago Bears in '85. Was it '85? Anyway, McMahon was a BYU alum and they had the Super Bowl shuffle and stuff. Also, I remember just a tad of Marino so maybe it was the '84 SB. :wacko:

SB VII Miami's undefeated season. Was 9 yrs old and my father was so drunk he projectile hurled all over the place. Very memorable :bag:

Super Bowl VI: Jan. 16, 1972 Dallas 24 Miami 3I am a big Cowboy fan. I think it started then.
Only 1 of 2 SB that I missed. I was 12 and decided a date at the movies was more important. What was I thinking? Besides, I was too #### young to be out on a date.

SB III, Jets over Colts. OK I'm a geezer by Board's standards. DOB 1957. For those who weren't around to see it, you have no idea what a major upset it was for an AFL team to beat an NFL team. The spread was about 14 points and the Colts were led by Johnny Unitas, widely viewed as the greatest QB ever at the time. The Jets came out and basically dominated the (conservatively played) game, and changed the way the leagues were looked at. As one of the other posters noted, the AFL and NFL were on rival networks and merged three years later. It was a good year to be a New Yorker, as the Mets' upset over the Orioles was equally unexpected.I recall that Earl Morrall played most of the year since Unitas got hurt. My recollection is that Morrall started the game and Unitas came in later when Morrall couldn't get anything going. Need to check that. The Colts that year, BTW, were 13-1 with 402 points scored and 144 allowed.

Recap ---Joe Namath was named MVP after leading the Jets to victory in Super Bowl III. (AP) Jets quarterback Joe Namath "guaranteed" victory on the Thursday before the game, then went out and led the AFL to its first Super Bowl victory over a Baltimore team that had lost only once in 16 games all season. Namath, chosen the outstanding player, completed 17 of 28 passes for 206 yards and directed a steady attack that dominated the NFL champions after the Jets' defense had intercepted Colts quarterback Earl Morrall three times in the first half. The Jets had 337 total yards, including 121 rushing yards by Matt Snell. Johnny Unitas, who had missed most of the season with a sore elbow, came off the bench and led Baltimore to its only touchdown late in the fourth quarter after New York led 16-0.

dolphins vs. redskins in the early 70's. I was born in 65'. I don't remember a whole lot, but I definitely remember the garo yaprimium muffed field goal. I also remember Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris as well as Larry Brown. I was an early fan of the stud running back obviously.

SB III, Jets over Colts. OK I'm a geezer by Board's standards. DOB 1957. For those who weren't around to see it, you have no idea what a major upset it was for an AFL team to beat an NFL team. The spread was about 14 points and the Colts were led by Johnny Unitas, widely viewed as the greatest QB ever at the time. The Jets came out and basically dominated the (conservatively played) game, and changed the way the leagues were looked at. As one of the other posters noted, the AFL and NFL were on rival networks and merged three years later. It was a good year to be a New Yorker, as the Mets' upset over the Orioles was equally unexpected.I recall that Earl Morrall played most of the year since Unitas got hurt. My recollection is that Morrall started the game and Unitas came in later when Morrall couldn't get anything going. Need to check that. The Colts that year, BTW, were 13-1 with 402 points scored and 144 allowed.
the spread was 17 points and Morrall played most of the game. Critics and Namath have always said that Shula should have brought Unitas in much earlier. Bubba Smith claims in his book the game was fixed. One thing that makes me believe it, is when Jimmy Orr was standing in the endzone waiving his arms, and Morrall looked right at him (camaras catch this), and instead of throwing the ball to Orr, he threw it over the middle and Johnny Sample intercepted it. A replay of that play shows Morrall had all day to throw the ball and he looked right at Orr. I believe the game was fixed for $$$ reasons. The NFL needed the merger and it never would have happened if the Colts won that game. Yes, it would have happened later regardless, but the league wanted it then.

the spread was 17 points and Morrall played most of the game. Critics and Namath have always said that Shula should have brought Unitas in much earlier. Bubba Smith claims in his book the game was fixed. One thing that makes me believe it, is when Jimmy Orr was standing in the endzone waiving his arms, and Morrall looked right at him (camaras catch this), and instead of throwing the ball to Orr, he threw it over the middle and Johnny Sample intercepted it. A replay of that play shows Morrall had all day to throw the ball and he looked right at Orr. I believe the game was fixed for $$$ reasons. The NFL needed the merger and it never would have happened if the Colts won that game. Yes, it would have happened later regardless, but the league wanted it then.
You are right, as soon as I posted that I remembered that it was 17 points on the spread. The Orr play is burned in my memory because the NFL films recap showed in glorious 35 mm slow motion Orr jumping, waiving his arms.

Users who are viewing this thread