What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Money Dishes (1 Viewer)

B-Deep said:
cooking tip

if you have omelette problems with them either being over done or too runny but never just right, cheat! Once the botttomw has just set use the broiler to get the top (which becomes the inside) of the omelette done to just the right level
If the omelette is brown then turn down the heat or make sure you take the eggs out of the fridge 15 minutes before using
Why?

B-Deep said:
cooking tip

if you have omelette problems with them either being over done or too runny but never just right, cheat! Once the botttomw has just set use the broiler to get the top (which becomes the inside) of the omelette done to just the right level
If the omelette is brown then turn down the heat or make sure you take the eggs out of the fridge 15 minutes before using
Why?
If the eggs are too cold the outside burns before the inside cooks in time. This is actually a pretty good standard for most cooking to bring your ingredients to a non-refrigerated temperature. Makes a huge difference to properly cook most proteins, especially steak. If you find yourself charring the outside of food because you can't get the inside cooked fully, especially if you're not using super high heat, then you're probably cooking with food that's too cold.

Pasta- a great mac and cheese, after all they are kids
This is such an underrated dish to be able to do and do well. Everyone from kids to grandmas love it, and you can gourmet it up to a standard that wouldn't get you yelled at on Hell's Kitchen, and can even integrate lobster or truffles or something once in a while to keep it fresh or angle it more adult. :thumbup:

I think you can get a lot more mileage from this -- and a lot more props for it -- than you could with a baked ziti.

Also:

- Try your hand at a good French onion soup. Done from scratch, it can be absolutely amazing.

- I enjoy a good red beans + rice. But you could teach yourself how to make a good, basic risotto in an afternoon, and could look like a gourmet studmuffin for years for the effort. :thumbup:

- A good Cubano for the sandwich.

- Get a wok and learn to do a proper stir fry with fresh ingredients and a minuscule amount of coconut oil.

- I don't think there's a meat dish out there that's better than just a well-cooked steak. Stick with that.
Please don't attempt to upset the Steak Gods by using Well and Steak in the same sentence when talking about Cooking. Use something like 'properly-cooked;' that way your steak will not come out overly cooked! ;)
:rolleyes: Well-cooked isn't the same thing as Well Done, Emeril.

B-Deep said:
cooking tip

Why?
If the eggs are too cold the outside burns before the inside cooks in time. This is actually a pretty good standard for most cooking to bring your ingredients to a non-refrigerated temperature. Makes a huge difference to properly cook most proteins, especially steak. If you find yourself charring the outside of food because you can't get the inside cooked fully, especially if you're not using super high heat, then you're probably cooking with food that's too cold.
But with an omelette, you are whipping them up. There is no "outside" and "inside".

Confused...

Pasta carbonara for the pasta dish. There are many variations and you'll hear about what's authentic and what isn't. But, that being said, the carbonara I make, while not truly authentic, is very easy to make and is enjoyed universally.

You'll need:

1 lb bacon

1 large sweet onion, chopped

4 eggs

1 lb pasta (usually linguini or spaghetti)

~ 1/3 cup Grated cheese

Black pepper

Cayenne pepper (if you like)

While you get water boiling for the pasta, cut the bacon into 1/2" pieces (bite size) and fry in a pan. Cook thoroughly but don't overcook. Remove from the pan but keep the bacon oil/grease and add the onion. Add pepper and cayenne (very little). When onions are cooked, add the bacon back, mix, and continue to cook on low heat until pasta is done.

In another bowl, mix the 4 eggs and add grated cheese until the mixture thickens. I use a combination of Parmesan/Asiago/Romano but use whatever you'd like. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and let it sit for ~3-4 minutes. Combine the egg/cheese mixture into the pasta and add the bacon/onion combination and mix well. Add extra cheese and/or black pepper to taste. WARNING--DO NOT add the egg mixture too soon after you drain the pasta. If the pasta is too hot, it will cook the egg too much and you'll have pasta with scrambled egg.

This dish takes the amount of time it takes to boil water and cook pasta. Minimal ingredients. Tastes fantastic. Authentic carbonara does not have onions in it but I enjoy the flavor it adds. Most restaurants make their carbonara with some sort of cream sauce. THIS is what you don't want to do. Do not worry about the eggs being raw, it will be cooked enough with the warm pasta.
I would get rid of the bacon grease and omit the onion but this is a solid recipe. Add a ladle full of pasta water to the egg mixture to temper (and add a silkiness to the sauce) and you won't have to wait 3-4 minutes for pasta to cool.
For a proper Carbonara (which, unfortunately I don't eat anymore), you've got to use pancetta from an Italian deli, not american style bacon.
Of course.One thing I forgot to add is to cook the bacon in about a cup of water. The water will evaporate but it will keep the bacon tender and prevent it from crisping, which you really don't want for this dish.

I do all the cooking at my house and I like to try a lot of different dishes. My kids faves are:

chicken/pesto paninis

chipotle style burritos

Bow ties with sausage, tomatoes and cream
Cast iron skillet steak with twice baked potatoes

So tonight I'm trying out the baked ziti recipe linked earlier in the thread. I've taken note of the mac and cheese suggestion, though, and do agree that that might be a better alternative given the kid-appeal and the ability to mix it up a little with different ingredients added from time to time.

Anyway, back to the ziti. I decided to go all-in on the first try and made a homemade sauce last night. Sauteed onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil, added the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, oregano, thyme, salt, little sugar. Let it simmer for 45 minutes, then added the rind of a chunk of parmesan, and let it simmer about 20 more minutes. Cooled it and now it's sealed in the fridge. Not sure of the flavor is right on, but it will be fine for the ziti.

Unbelievably, the stupid grocery store didn't actually have any ziti pasta. They seemed to have nearly everything else under the sun, so I went with something close - Elicoidali. It'll do.

As for the other dishes, I'm going to stay away from pork tenderloin, roasted chicken, etc. because my wife already does amazingly well in that department. I want to shoot for something outside her wheelhouse.

ETA:

I'm using 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 sweet italian sausage for the ziti.

Last edited by a moderator:
So tonight I'm trying out the baked ziti recipe linked earlier in the thread. I've taken note of the mac and cheese suggestion, though, and do agree that that might be a better alternative given the kid-appeal and the ability to mix it up a little with different ingredients added from time to time.

Anyway, back to the ziti. I decided to go all-in on the first try and made a homemade sauce last night. Sauteed onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil, added the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, oregano, thyme, salt, little sugar. Let it simmer for 45 minutes, then added the rind of a chunk of parmesan, and let it simmer about 20 more minutes. Cooled it and now it's sealed in the fridge. Not sure of the flavor is right on, but it will be fine for the ziti.

Unbelievably, the stupid grocery store didn't actually have any ziti pasta. They seemed to have nearly everything else under the sun, so I went with something close - Elicoidali. It'll do.

As for the other dishes, I'm going to stay away from pork tenderloin, roasted chicken, etc. because my wife already does amazingly well in that department. I want to shoot for something outside her wheelhouse.

ETA:

You might be surprised with the kid-appeal. I have been making a carbonara recently, and my kids LOVE it. One of their favorites!

ETA:

You might be surprised with the kid-appeal. I have been making a carbonara recently, and my kids LOVE it. One of their favorites!
Agree. I make one similar and my kids love it too.

ETA:

Agree. I make one similar and my kids love it too.
It's basically creamy noodles. Make mike with 1/2 pancetta and 1/2 bacon, and their only request is more meat! That's easy!!

Over the years Mrs. Karpis has done a lion's share of the cooking. I grill, do breakfast, fix chili every now and then, but she does the real cooking. I want to nail down 5 dishes that could become, for lack of a better word, my "signature" dishes. Something the kids would think back to when they're older and say, "my dad used to fix this..." Something your family asks you to bring to the family holidays/reunions.

I'm thinking about something in the following categories: 1) a pasta dish, 2) a breakfast dish, 3) a hot sandwich, 4) a soup/gumbo/red beans & rice, and 5) a beef or pork entree (other than just grilled filet).

Open to suggestions for recipes or dishes.

What is your signature dish?
1) Don't do pasta, but we do a solid ragu over spaghetti squash.

2) I can cook a hell of a ham and cheese omelette

3) Don't do sandwiches either, sorry. Make a mean roast chicken and would place over spinach.

4) Lentil Soup FTW here, with or without chorizo

5) Smoked pork shoulder all day

Spike said:
lombardi said:
Spike said:
cooking tip

Why?
But with an omelette, you are whipping them up. There is no "outside" and "inside".

Confused...
Every three dimensional thing has an outside and an inside, Alan Watts.

Over the years Mrs. Karpis has done a lion's share of the cooking. I grill, do breakfast, fix chili every now and then, but she does the real cooking. I want to nail down 5 dishes that could become, for lack of a better word, my "signature" dishes. Something the kids would think back to when they're older and say, "my dad used to fix this..." Something your family asks you to bring to the family holidays/reunions.

I'm thinking about something in the following categories: 1) a pasta dish, 2) a breakfast dish, 3) a hot sandwich, 4) a soup/gumbo/red beans & rice, and 5) a beef or pork entree (other than just grilled filet).

3) Don't do sandwiches either, sorry. Make a mean roast chicken and would place over spinach.

Do you eat a paleo diet?

I've been interested in trying spaghetti squash instead of pasta. How do you make yours?

Do you eat a paleo diet?

I've been interested in trying spaghetti squash instead of pasta. How do you make yours?
Yes, I'd say I'm 90/10 paleo.

The squash is just simply split in half and placed in a baking dish with a small amount of water. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so.

1) Alfredo Chicken... 2 jars alfredo sauce, 1 package cream cheese, 1 container sour cream, 1 sautéed onion 1 package mushrooms sautéed. Spices to preference.

2) Eggs in toast....butter two sides of bread and cut a hole in the middle. Place bread in pan and crack egg...place in hole. Kids are amazed by this simple dish.

3) Grilled cheese, but use mac and cheese, and bacon in addition to sliced cheese.

4) Potato or chicken

5) Mix small chunks of beef or pieces or stew meat with rice and a package of Béarnaise sauce.

Do you eat a paleo diet?

The squash is just simply split in half and placed in a baking dish with a small amount of water. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so.
Oh, I thought you meant grating the squash down into a pasta like texture, have seen people do that to replicate pasta. Was thinking of trying that.

Do you eat a paleo diet?

Oh, I thought you meant grating the squash down into a pasta like texture, have seen people do that to replicate pasta. Was thinking of trying that.
You don't have to grate spagetti squash. It just sort of turns into noodles when you bake it like magic. The stuff you grate is like zuccini and regular yellow squash.

Do you eat a paleo diet?

You don't have to grate spagetti squash. It just sort of turns into noodles when you bake it like magic. The stuff you grate is like zuccini and regular yellow squash.
Spaghetti squash is like magic. Great sub even if you're not paleo.

1) Alfredo Chicken... 2 jars alfredo sauce, 1 package cream cheese, 1 sautéed onion 1 package mushrooms sautéed.

2) Eggs in toast....butter two sides of bread and cut a hole in the middle. Place bread in pan and crack egg...place in hole. kids are amazed by this simple dish.

3) Grilled cheese, but use mac and cheese, and bacon in addition to sliced cheese.

4) Potato or chicken

5) Mix small chunks of beef or pieces or stew meat with rice and a package of Béarnaise sauce.
sorry fella, this sounds horrible. Have you ever tried making you own sauce? Both mentioned above are very easy.

The ziti needed a little tweaking, but all in all was a success. Needed more salt, smaller noodles, and a little longer in the oven. Probably needed to stand a little while, too. As it's sat on the counter tonight the flavors have really come together.

1) Alfredo Chicken... 2 jars alfredo sauce, 1 package cream cheese, 1 container sour cream, 1 sautéed onion 1 package mushrooms sautéed. Spices to preference.

2) Eggs in toast....butter two sides of bread and cut a hole in the middle. Place bread in pan and crack egg...place in hole. Kids are amazed by this simple dish.

4) Potato or chicken

What is #6, Hot Pockets and mayo?

4) Potato or chicken

What is #6, Hot Pockets and mayo?
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread