What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys Email On Uvalde - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Footballguys Email On Uvalde - Thoughts?

• Loved it

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Liked it

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Barely liked it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Barely didn't like it

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Did not like it

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Hated it

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

Looking for some feedback. This is the email update we sent last night for our Footballguys Daily Email Update. I referenced the Uvalde Texas tragedy and shared some words by Uvalde native, Matthew McConaughey that I felt pretty well matched what I was feeling. 

https://www.footballguys.com/updates/?view=189

Howdy,

Our promise to you in this email is to bring you the information and edge to help you win more at Fantasy Football. Please allow me to veer from that for a moment.

Like many of you, I've been not just brokenhearted over this latest tragedy in Texas, but I've struggled to find the right words. I think this from Matthew McConaughey feels closest to where I am. We can do better. We must do better.

From McConaughey:

"As all of you are aware, there was another mass shooting today, this time in my hometown of Uvalde, Texas. Once again, we have tragically proven that we are failing to be responsible for the rights our freedoms grant us.

"The true call to action is now for every American to take a longer and deeper look in the mirror and ask ourselves, 'What is it that we truly value? How do we repair the problem? What small sacrifices can we individually take today, to preserve a healthier and safer nation, state, and neighborhood tomorrow?' We cannot exhale once again, make excuses and accept these tragic realities as the status quo.

"As Americans, Texans, mothers, and fathers, it's time we re-evaluate, and renegotiate our wants from our needs. We have to rearrange our values and find a common ground above this devastating American reality that has tragically become our children's issue.

"This is an epidemic we can control, and whichever side of the aisle we stand on, we all know we can do better. We must do better. Action must be taken so that no parent has to experience what the parents in Uvalde and the others before them have endured.

"And to those who dropped off their loved ones today not knowing it was goodbye, no words can comprehend or heal your loss, but if prayers can provide comfort, we will keep them coming."

For how to help the folks in Uvalde specifically, there's more info here.

Let's pull together and move forward. Now on to a bit of Football News.

Peace and Grace to you,

J

And from there it went on to our normal Email Update with fantasy football content. 

When you send out an email to 600,000+ people with your email address as the "reply to" email every day, I get a lot of feedback. Most of it was pretty predictable. Some, "Thanks for sending", and some "I'm unsubscribing because of your woke bull####" 

If you know me or have followed our Footballguys communication, I rarely get very far away from Football. I'll talk political talk in our Political forum here, but that's different. On our normal Footballguys content we communicate with our subscribers, I rarely get away from football except for three times a year: July 4, Veterans Day and Memorial Day (that interestingly is going out tonight). But in general, I keep it almost all on Football with subscribers in the email and also on Social Media.

So wondering here what folks thought of the email last night and me straying from football?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at such a loss for words about the gun tragedies in our nation that I have no opinion about what you sent out because I'm so numb and just cannot comprehend the physical and emotional devastation wreaked by the massacres.  

Anything detailing any personal emotion, including whether you should have sent it or not, is sort of up in the air, like a bad dream where you've fallen and you're waiting to land on firm terrain, only the terrain keeps getting further away while the terror increases until you eventually wake up. Seems like a metaphor for what we're all chasing here.  

IMO the inclusion of content along with the message makes the difference. Leaving aside any personal thoughts I might have on the political spectrum, I like getting the email for football content first so the fact it still had some and I, along with everyone else, have the option to read or scroll past the message if we so choose makes it totally fine in my book.

I've also found over the years the thing you're straying away from sports to talk about matters a ton. That's totally understandable and just human nature.

People usually don't mind you straying when the thing you're saying is something they agree with. 

People often have a problem when you stray to say something they don't agree with.

So often, it's not really about the straying. 

The quote from Matthew McConaughey was spot on and I appreciate you sharing it.  I am still at a loss for words on the whole situation.  

What small sacrifices can we individually take today, to preserve a healthier and safer nation, state, and neighborhood tomorrow?'

I honestly didn't read it. And that's not anything against you guys. I work as a support counselor in a school for students with emotional disturbance/behavioral issues. When there's a crisis in school with one of the students, that's where I'm at. My point is, being directly involved in schools, I can't continue to see and read this stuff. It's sickening and something needs to change. Again, nothing against Football Guys and the emails, I needed to stay away from this topic for a bit.

I honestly didn't read it. And that's not anything against you guys. I work as a support counselor in a school for students with emotional disturbance/behavioral issues. When there's a crisis in school with one of the students, that's where I'm at. My point is, being directly involved in schools, I can't continue to see and read this stuff. It's sickening and something needs to change. Again, nothing against Football Guys and the emails, I needed to stay away from this topic for a bit.

Totally understand. Thank you for the work you're doing there. It's so important. Thank you.

Thought it was great, but I also love the emails on Memorial day etc. supporting the veterans. 

I know you can't really be political on those emails but as a father with two daughters I walk around in befuddled confusion as to what's been going on the last few decades. It hurts to think about it.

Honestly, I saw the subject and my first thought was that it was going to be about FBG (the business) doing better and was interested in seeing how. Probably because it's rare that FBG e-mails contain content that is non-football except for a few holidays and he had to know he was going to get some push back even though it's pretty generic. Anyway, my values are good and I didn't really have an issue with the e-mail being sent.

I had zero problems with it, just like I don't have a problem with your infrequent other emails about holidays or social events.

You have every right to use your platform as you see fit.

I've never understood those people that gripe at people like Schefter about "sticking to sports".

So wondering here what folks thought of the email last night and me straying from football?
Obviously people look to sports as a means of escapism so I get why people don't want real world stuff messing with that but it's an email you can choose to read or not. This is not something happening during a game you have no choice to watch.

So I see zero issue, glad to see but words feel like empty right now so what I would classify myself as liking the email but loving that you put a link in their were people can help and if just the smallest help is provided from that email then I thank you for sending it.

So I see zero issue, glad to see but words feel like empty right now so what I would classify myself as liking the email but loving that you put a link in their were people can help and if just the smallest help is provided from that email then I thank you for sending it.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post  :thumbup:

I've also found over the years the thing you're straying away from sports to talk about matters a ton. That's totally understandable and just human nature.

People usually don't mind you straying when the thing you're saying is something they agree with. 

People often have a problem when you stray to say something they don't agree with.

So often, it's not really about the straying. 
This is exactly it.  There's very few people who agree with what you said who will say "stick to sports".  That's just the excuse people use, to deflect them disagreeing with you, and turn it into blame against you for having/speaking that opinion.

This is exactly it.  There's very few people who agree with what you said who will say "stick to sports".  That's just the excuse people use, to deflect them disagreeing with you, and turn it into blame against you for having/speaking that opinion.
Then there are the ambivalent (and nuanced) who throw up their hands because of futility and who might not want to think about it at that moment when they're expecting sporting news. 

Joe, the content in that e-mail was fine with me. Your comments on issues other than fantasy football in past e-mails have been timely, well thought out and relevant to the moment. 

I am one of those who appreciates the extras you put out on Veterans Day,Memorial Day,etc.  Keep ALL the content coming.

I don’t have a personal problem with it, but I also work in email messaging for work, and always have to ask the question of where a line is drawn and why?

What is your status quo for including an outside event in a FBG email?

Was there an email for the victims of Buffalo? Do those humans deserve recognition?

Will there be another email for the next school shooting if there are less than a certain number of children or if they are over a certain age?

These questions feel stupid to ask and I’m not trying to stir anything up… I just think you need to be clear to yourself when and what you will include in a FBG email… or if it’s just gut instinct and nobody cares, then so be it.

Deamon said:

How can anyone disagree to doing better? That's all he said.

"I'm unsubscribing because of your woke bull####" 

This can’t be real, can it? 

I am not very political so maybe I don’t really  know what “woke” means? 

How can anyone disagree to doing better? That's all he said.
You would think so. But you should see my email box.

Extremists will never be happy.  EVER.  For those of us with some common sense and who can admit that there is such a thing as nuance, what you included was just fine Joe.

We can, and should do better.  We all CAN and SHOULD be willing to sacrifice some to make our country better and safer, especially for children.  I appreciated that reminder.

Extremists will never be happy.  EVER.  For those of us with some common sense and who can admit that there is such a thing as nuance, what you included was just fine Joe.

We can, and should do better.  We all CAN and SHOULD be willing to sacrifice some to make our country better and safer, especially for children.  I appreciated that reminder.

Sacrifice some? What does that mean? Humans?

Sacrifice some? What does that mean? Humans?

I was agreeing with you...how can anyone object to doing better?  In my opinion doing better will require compromise on both ends of this issue. Compromise requires sacrificing ground to move toward the middle.

VikingFrog said:
I don’t have a personal problem with it, but I also work in email messaging for work, and always have to ask the question of where a line is drawn and why?

What is your status quo for including an outside event in a FBG email?

Was there an email for the victims of Buffalo? Do those humans deserve recognition?

Will there be another email for the next school shooting if there are less than a certain number of children or if they are over a certain age?

These questions feel stupid to ask and I’m not trying to stir anything up… I just think you need to be clear to yourself when and what you will include in a FBG email… or if it’s just gut instinct and nobody cares, then so be it.

Agreed. There is always "a line" for when you say something or don't say something. For 20+ years I've tried to manage it as best I can. Sometimes I get it right, other times I don't. 

I didn’t mind the sentiment. I agree it’s important to discuss. It was a horrific event, and I wish we valued the lives of children as much as an extreme minority of this country loves unfettered access to military-grade weapons.

However, that said, I found Matthew McConaughey’s statement to be somewhat flat. It was a lot of “let’s come together” platitude that was far, far short on proactive suggestion.

I would have respected him more if he’d come out and said that 90% of our country favors sensible gun laws, and no 18 year old should be able to buy 2 AR’s and 1000 rounds of ammo and walk out the door.

But he said kind of a “can’t we all just get along” that, to me, fell way short of the mark. 

It might surprise some to know that I’ve been shooting since I was a kid, and as an adult I’ve won Hunter/handgun silhouette competitions. I am not anti-2A. Hardly so. But I’m heavily against the idea that anyone should be able to purchase any firearm and any amount of ammo, without insurance, without background checks, without red flag laws, without training, and without waiting periods. 

So no, I didn’t mind FBG saying something - it’s an important issue that effects us all. I literally just got home from a public event with ~15K people. I do them every Saturday & Sunday. I do festivals with upwards of 30-50k people, and next month I have my county fair - an 18 day, 12 hour a day event with 500k people over the course of a month.

As the years go on, I’m more and more concerned that someone’s going to show up at one of these events to get their name in the books as the next best mass shooter. This issue is most definitely “In my lane”, as they say. 

The suggestion of coming together is on point. A better suggestion is to vote for people who aren’t mouthpieces for the gun lobby, and maybe propose actions to solve what is truly a unique American problem. 

And the suggestion of “moving on” seems premature to me. Horrible things will continue to happen so long as we keep moving on after each one. Today is Sunday. Last night there was another mass shooting in TN. A few days before Texas there was the shooting in Buffalo. How can we move on it we keep experiencing shootings nearly every day?

And while sensible people are moving on, the gun manufacturers are sending emails with scare tactics about the boogieman Dems banning all guns, which increases sales in the wake of every shooting. It’s a cycle of madness.

So I’d much prefer people stayed focused on it; however uncomfortable it might be. If the cost of owning my guns = dead 4th graders, then I no longer need to own a gun. And to those who believe their guns are preventing them from losing their freedom from an oppressive government, perhaps those folks need to look into the might and capabilities of the United States military, because even a 30 round mag isn’t gonna save ‘em from a tank, a drone, or a battalion of well-trained marines. It’s a fiction that the gun lobby has sold over and over again. 

So I’m glad FBG addressed it. Everyone should address it. No offense, but It wasn’t nearly enough. It would be more valuable to me to know you won’t take ad dollars from the NRA, and that you won’t support politicians who do. Tell me what positive change you support as a business to help this crisis we all face. 

Sorry for the mini-rant. Hey, you asked. 

FBG's statement of "doing better" was addressing a gun issue? If that's the case then maybe it shouldn't have been put in a fantasy football e-mail. Looks like this needs to go in the Politics Forum now.

FBG's statement of "doing better" was addressing a gun issue? If that's the case then maybe it shouldn't have been put in a fantasy football e-mail. Looks like this needs to go in the Politics Forum now.
That’s exactly what I’m asking for opinion on. As I did put it in the email. 

Topics like these are almost always going to be a lose lose situation. Choosing to say something on issues at hand or choosing not to will always get negative feedback from someone it seems. I personally come to fantasy football forums and news for a break from the stresses of life no matter how big or small. That said, how you chose address didn’t bother me at all. 

Topics like these are almost always going to be a lose lose situation. Choosing to say something on issues at hand or choosing not to will always get negative feedback from someone it seems. I personally come to fantasy football forums and news for a break from the stresses of life no matter how big or small. That said, how you chose address didn’t bother me at all. 

Thanks @bmsarvis  I think you're right on this. And I think it worked out ok. 

Joe, I don't want anything but football in a football update. To me, providing a link to your thoughts would be best but it's your forum. Honestly, I'm adept at scrolling to what I came to see, so no biggie. 

Anyone that's consumed your content over the years, especially recently, and referred to you as a woke is a gosh darn fool not worth the bandwidth. I get it, you're in the consumerism business, but I think not catering to gosh darn fools will generally serve you well. I appreciate you putting pen to paper on an important subject, financial consequences be damned. Sometimes it costs a good business owner a few dollars to do the right thing, but for good business owners those decisions pay off.

I’m good with it, and here’s why. I may be waaaay off here 😀, but Joe seems like a good, thoughtful, guy.  The few times each year he strays from his FF lane, it’s from the heart and respectful. He doesn’t  appear to have a motive like selling sneakers, pillows, razors, or subscriptions with his commentary. He’s not incendiary, regardless of what the average PSF poster may think because he’s not pure blue or red.  He’s just using his platform to remind us, every once in a while, to work on being excellent to one another. It’s hard to be against that. 

My only thought was these are more wasted words. Nothing is going to change as long as the NRA has the politicans in their pocket. I came to this conclusion after Sandy Hook. I am out of tears and out of prayers. I only feel disgust.

The actual quote was, "Unsubscribed due to your pandering woke bull####. Keep your politics out of the children's game you make a living off of. Keep pushing your garbage and watch how fast your audience dwindles."

:shrug:  
I find there’s just certain people out there that “enjoy” being angry at everything. I’ve reached the point where I just ignore them and let them be miserable.

I don't have a problem with what McConaughey has to say, but it feels like a transparent rationalization to take an undescribed regulatory action.

What small sacrifices can we individually take today, to preserve a healthier and safer nation, state, and neighborhood tomorrow?' We cannot exhale once again, make excuses and accept these tragic realities as the status quo.

The reference to "small sacrifices" without going into any detail is just so much bluster.  Maybe he's trying to reach out to a conservative base to promote some tighter controls, and is trying to not scare them off.  But without knowing the details about what he's actually advocating, it reads like political fluff.

I find there’s just certain people out there that “enjoy” being angry at everything. I’ve reached the point where I just ignore them and let them be miserable.

Over the years, I've learned to do better with this kind of thing. Between the forums and sending an email 250 days a year to 600,000 people, I get a lot of "feedback". 

Some of it's pretty ugly. From things about my wife to people telling me they hope I get my throat slit. To the more tame stuff like I mentioned above that I'm "pandering woke bull####". it is what it is. 

I think it's a thing where there truly are hurting people out there. And I think there's truth to the "hurt people hurt people" thing. In a world where things may be ugly for them, sending something ugly to someone else is relative easy on a screen. I've learned to not take offense. But to be bummed that they're in spot that rough they'd send something like to someone like me who they likely don't even know. I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it. But I hope things get better for them. 

I don't have a problem with what McConaughey has to say, but it feels like a transparent rationalization to take an undescribed regulatory action.

What small sacrifices can we individually take today, to preserve a healthier and safer nation, state, and neighborhood tomorrow?' We cannot exhale once again, make excuses and accept these tragic realities as the status quo.

The reference to "small sacrifices" without going into any detail is just so much bluster.  Maybe he's trying to reach out to a conservative base to promote some tighter controls, and is trying to not scare them off.  But without knowing the details about what he's actually advocating, it reads like political fluff.
Yep. That was my issue with it. Non-specific call to action that something must be done is pure fluff.  It was vague, & as such, somewhat pointless.

I’m happy he supports change. I wish he’d gone in much stronger on solutions proposals.

People complain about “virtue signaling” a lot. To me, that’s what McConaughey‘s speech amounted to. It was a safe thing to say that no one can really disagree with, but that doesn’t actually describe any change he wants to see enacted. 

for all we know he’s on board with Ted Cruz’s “too many doors” theory, or Marco Rubio’s “if he didn’t have a gun he just would have used something else”. Right. Because if he had a hammer 19 cops would have been afraid to go in? C’mon son.

Some of it's pretty ugly. From things about my wife to people telling me they hope I get my throat slit. To the more tame stuff like I mentioned above that I'm "pandering woke bull####". it is what it is. 
i have been reading your emails for the entire time I’ve been a member here.

I haven’t always agreed with you, but I’ve never read anything in your emails that I considered even remotely edgy. In the occasional wake-of-tragedy, or solemn holiday email you are even considerate enough to inform people that you’re about to express thoughts not specifically about football. And in those emails you’re always thoughtful, empathetic, and forward looking with hope for humanity. I respect your approach. 

But man, I cannot for the life of me recall anything you’ve ever sent that could elicit a response of wishing harm on you, or your wife. That’s just so far beyond the pale.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the world we live in these days. The amazing thing is that those same people likely followed your emails and agreed witn you about everything right up to that point. Some of that anger is likely a sense of betrayal - you were “us” and now you’re “them”. Because those are the only settings folks that that seem to have. “Tucker Carlson told me the woke mob was bad, and look - now even my fantasy football has been indoctrinated with wokeness!” sort of thing. 

I try to stay hopeful that these people represent an extreme minority, but I feel like I’m lying to myself.

i have been reading your emails for the entire time I’ve been a member here.

I haven’t always agreed with you, but I’ve never read anything in your emails that I considered even remotely edgy. In the occasional wake-of-tragedy, or solemn holiday email you are even considerate enough to inform people that you’re about to express thoughts not specifically about football. And in those emails you’re always thoughtful, empathetic, and forward looking with hope for humanity. I respect your approach. 

But man, I cannot for the life of me recall anything you’ve ever sent that could elicit a response of wishing harm on you, or your wife. That’s just so far beyond the pale.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the world we live in these days. The amazing thing is that those same people likely followed your emails and agreed witn you about everything right up to that point. Some of that anger is likely a sense of betrayal - you were “us” and now you’re “them”. Because those are the only settings folks that that seem to have. “Tucker Carlson told me the woke mob was bad, and look - now even my fantasy football has been indoctrinated with wokeness!” sort of thing. 

I try to stay hopeful that these people represent an extreme minority, but I feel like I’m lying to myself.

Most of the ugliest stuff comes from the forum. In PMs or emails after someone has been suspended by the moderators. Again, it is what it is.

Another reply from the McConaughey email:

Ironic because you claim to be against violence but then support violence by the state. More laws require the use of government force backed by the barrel of a government gun. So I guess you do support “gun” violence. That’s what makes you vortue signaling cowards despicable.

Take care bud.

Or this one:

Joe if you want to be woke you can cancel my subscription . This is fantasy football not politics . I don't care what any hollywood scumbag says . As a parent you need to know what your children are doing . Be a parent not a friend to your children . Criminals are the poster child for the libatards . I guess you voted for the scum of the earth libatard brandon who's destroying the USA and the world . Save your political thoughts for your libatrd friends .

Users who are viewing this thread