What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys Email On Uvalde - Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Footballguys Email On Uvalde - Thoughts?

• Loved it

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Liked it

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Barely liked it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Barely didn't like it

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Did not like it

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Hated it

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters
Another reply from the McConaughey email:

…more laws…
That’s some special sort of false equivalence right there.

Interestingly, arguments against gun laws are in fact arguments against having any laws.

Metaphor fail.

Or this one:

#######
Yep - you became “them” that fast. A certain base has been trained to “other” any perceived dissenters. Any GOP pol who calls for sensible reform will be instantly labeled a RINO, and of course you are now a “#######”.

Othering is a major component of fascism, btw. 

Joe - Please if anything ...you do you. The wheat will fall from the chaff. It's the wheat you are after in your professional career or you would not have sent the e-mail as it was. I do not really care where you fall on the left/right scale I just embrace that you have a moral compass. One that risks what you have built and are still building. I can respect that. That is enough for me. I'm sorry you have to ask the massses if it's ok to be you...But here we are.

Joe - Please if anything ...you do you. The wheat will fall from the chaff. It's the wheat you are after in your professional career or you would not have sent the e-mail as it was. I do not really care where you fall on the left/right scale I just embrace that you have a moral compass. One that risks what you have built and are still building. I can respect that. That is enough for me. I'm sorry you have to ask the massses if it's ok to be you...But here we are.

Thanks @BoltNlava  I"m sorry I wasn't clear. I feel zero need at all "to ask the masses if I can be me". I was asking here to see how me being me landed with folks. I'm pretty good about reading the room and I've often used this forum as a sounding board for feedback. Thanks. 

You work very hard at providing what I feel is THE best service of its kind. It’s your house. It’s also a very important discussion. 

Thanks @BoltNlava  I"m sorry I wasn't clear. I feel zero need at all "to ask the masses if I can be me". I was asking here to see how me being me landed with folks. I'm pretty good about reading the room and I've often used this forum as a sounding board for feedback. Thanks. 
Maybe you were. I'm sorry if I misread  the tone of what you posted. LOL ...that's on me.

I’m betting it’s the 90/10 rule. 
90% of the recipients are gonna be cool with whatever, agree or not. 

the 10% is going to be the loudest, angriest, and unfortunately, most responsive.

Early in my career as a PM in healthcare, I had a project to review complaint metrics to determine the validity of complaints Vs volume. 

Turned out when someone had major surgery & everything went perfectly we’d rarely hear any follow-up feedback from them.

But the dude who had a metal splinter & went to the ER for it, but had to wait 2 hours to be seen because there were heart attacks and emergency c-sections & broken bones happening would write an 11 page letter of complaint and threaten to sue us while cursing the nurses and ER staff.

It taught me a lot about customer service & how the loudest voices are often the least important.

Last edited by a moderator:
But then I gotta ask why you would post this at all? Is it really zero need? If the need is really zero then you'd just post and be done. Right? Again sorry if I'm misreading the tone/meaning of asking at  all.

But then I gotta ask why you would post this at all? Is it really zero need? If the need is really zero then you'd just post and be done. Right? Again sorry if I'm misreading the tone/meaning of asking at  all.

Yes. For sure zero need "to ask the masses if I can be me". But that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to how what I say is received. To me, that's just being a good communicator. 

I'll always be me. But I do appreciate feedback as I think it makes me better. 

You work very hard at providing what I feel is THE best service of its kind. It’s your house. It’s also a very important discussion. 

Thank you @ratbast  I do spend a good bit of time thinking about how to best communicate to the readers. Thus the thread here. And I do agree it feels important. 

For a good many years, I've navigated that path of football vs straying from football. And I "think" I've done ok with that balance. But I like to check in too. 

Hey Joe,

I'm in the loved it camp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an issue that should be talked about until we see change. I fully understand that some people are already numb to it, but doing nothing will change nothing. In my opinion. Everyone should use whatever platform they have available to voice their concerns on this issue. With that being said, you didn't come across as someone trying to cram anything down anyone's throat or attack someone for their beliefs. 

This is very easy for me to say, as I don't have a financial investment in the company, but if someone wants to unsubscribe because of one of your emails, I say don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out. I will tell you to hang in there when the keyboard tough guys start typing though. With any sort of heated political debate you are going to have some extremists that think threatening someones life will change their mind. 

But man, I cannot for the life of me recall anything you’ve ever sent that could elicit a response of wishing harm on you, or your wife. That’s just so far beyond the pale.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the world we live in these days.
Nailed it.

People can be ridiculous, petty and infantile.  The trick is to find happiness, peace, joy, empathy and altruism despite this.  If you can, you win.

Joe, I don't want anything but football in a football update. 
Yea, I'm already unsubscribed from all things FBGs for years now but if I got one with "Uvalde" in the subject line it would be an instant delete.   And I agree with McCaughey's sentiment completely.  It's a "stay in your lane" thing. 

Asking Joe to censor his thoughts is just another PC paradigm where everyone is supposed to keep their opinions to themselves.  I call BS.  If you're such a fragile flower that Joe's words cause you pain and to lash out with anger, perhaps you should buy a clue.

Yea, I'm already unsubscribed from all things FBGs for years now but if I got one with "Uvalde" in the subject line it would be an instant delete.   And I agree with McCaughey's sentiment completely.  It's a "stay in your lane" thing. 

Understood. 

As an outsider that lives in Canada, I don't understand any of this. It only happens in your country, over and over and over again. I am saddened by all of this and so should all of you.  

How can one group of people want to take away women's reproductive rights, yet the same group doesn't want to protect those same children. Does not compute. 

Joe, you have a platform and you should use it for whatever you think is correct. 

You have First Amendment rights to say whatever you want as long as you're good with the repercussions. Probably not a lot but I'm sure you lost a "few" subscribers and sounds like it is worth it to you to include Matthew McConaughey's message, whatever it was, in a fantasy football (normally) e-mail.

Anyway, I was fine with it but I can understand if some folks don't want that in their daily e-mail update. I definitely don't condone the profanity or threats directed at you but not surprised. A lot of folks have mental issues or they're just mean/jerks.

Anyway, how this is in the Shark Pool still is beyond me as it's clearly become political and an attack against some groups of people. But you're the boss and there are different rules so I'll avoid clicking on this thread.

Peace.

You didn’t really say much, more so acted as MM’s publicist.

It was unnecessary and too much. This website is built for info for a fantasy game built on top of a real game.

The FF space is rife with individuals with inflated senses of self importance and this fell right in line.

You didn’t really say much, more so acted as MM’s publicist.

It was unnecessary and too much. This website is built for info for a fantasy game built on top of a real game.

The FF space is rife with individuals with inflated senses of self importance and this fell right in line.
Having this reaction, especially your last sentence, to someone quoting the opinion of someone else, reeks of strong "shut up and dribble energy." 

I read online content all day as part of my work. Often there are opinions offered which don't directly relate to the content I'm seeking. I generally just skim past that part and continue looking for the content I was seeking. For the most part that's what I do with non-fantasy football content in your emails. Nothing against you or your views, that's simply not why I'm reading the emails. If there was a separate email for your opinions, I might consider receiving that one and reading your views. I would suggest its analogous to the various forums on FBGs, where non-fantasy discussion are in their own area, and if those posts are placed in the Shark Pool for example they are moved. 

To be clear, I consider what happened to be a horrible tragedy. I don't happen to disagree with anything that you posted, I simply don't have those kinds of conversations in a fantasy football setting, nor with people online who I don't know personally.

I read online content all day as part of my work. Often there are opinions offered which don't directly relate to the content I'm seeking. I generally just skim past that part and continue looking for the content I was seeking.
I’m curious what your job title is? If you don’t mind me asking. It sounds like an interesting position. Are you a content curator for an aggregate site or something like that? 

I use FF to detach from the madness of what’s going on in our society. I personally don’t want them to intersect. Ultimately , it’s your platform and I respect how you want to use it sir.

Absolutely ridiculous for anyone to get offended by that email.  If you feel it’s “out of FBG’s lane,” then delete it.  Move on.  To send hate email, unsubscribe, or be even remotely agitated by the message is troubling.  And sadly this is a microcosm of where our society is at today.  

I can't write swear words on this forum but Joe is a "woke #######" now?

Went to an all day music festival between Buffalo and Uvalde.   Can't say that the thought of "someone might shoot into this crowd" didn't cross my mind a few times during the day.  But I also don't have any hope of anything changing.  This is America, not for better just for worse.

Joe,

I have no problem with you occasionally adding non football content to your emails. They are always obviously things that you feel strongly about and there is nothing wrong with that. I have been reading your emails and comments on this forum for many years and have the impression that you are truly a good person. The world can always use good people who feel and care strongly.

As far as this current one, you were including a quote that stated some things that I would think most anyone can agree with. It is always good to look at where we as individuals, or as a country can do better. There was a tragic incident involving children and we absolutely should be looking at ways to protect all people, but especially kids.

Of course there will disagreements on what exactly needs to be done to make things better and safer. I believe what Matthew McConaughey was suggesting was that we look at giving up more rights in the hope that this will somehow make us safer. I don't agree with that, but I certainly do not have a problem with him, you, or anyone else believing that. I have no problem with it being discussed. I believe that is how our form of government is supposed to work. We should be able to express our opinions and discuss our ideas on how to best move the country forward. There is no way that we all agree on the best path forward, but we should be able to listen to each other and respect each other.

In my opinion, we absolutely should be having a discussion on how to keep children safe in school, or anywhere else for that matter. Personally, I would love to see us spend less money on our never ending war machine and put some of that money into mental health. Personally, I believe that the fact that schools and churches are gun free zones makes them obvious targets to those with a desire to do the kind of horrible things that we saw in Uvalde. Personally, I believe that we can make schools safe without restricting the rights of law abiding citizens. Obviously others would like to see us try the gun control route. Whatever your opinion is, it is good to be discussing the solutions. 

Hopefully we, as a nation can have this conversation without name calling and threats. Hopefully we can all listen to each other respectfully and start moving forward with plans to make our world a better place.

I just started following you. I don’t know where you stand on the political spectrum. We have a deeply divided country right now on many issues of importance. You must feel pretty strongly about gun laws or lack there of in or great nation. I don’t totally agree or disagree with you on this matter, to be honest mostly disagree. I try as much as I can to keep controversial topics out of my podcasts, but just can’t help it sometimes. I would rather have a separate forum to weigh in on these controversial but important matters. After listening to a couple of your podcasts it appears you have an informative and clean family friendly format. I will be contacting you privately about a new Dynasty podcast league I am starting and I’m looking for a good, clean family friendly format to promote.

Hi Folks,

Looking for some feedback. This is the email update we sent last night for our Footballguys Daily Email Update. I referenced the Uvalde Texas tragedy and shared some words by Uvalde native, Matthew McConaughey that I felt pretty well matched what I was feeling. 

https://www.footballguys.com/updates/?view=189

And from there it went on to our normal Email Update with fantasy football content. 

When you send out an email to 600,000+ people with your email address as the "reply to" email every day, I get a lot of feedback. Most of it was pretty predictable. Some, "Thanks for sending", and some "I'm unsubscribing because of your woke bull####" 

If you know me or have followed our Footballguys communication, I rarely get very far away from Football. I'll talk political talk in our Political forum here, but that's different. On our normal Footballguys content we communicate with our subscribers, I rarely get away from football except for three times a year: July 4, Veterans Day and Memorial Day (that interestingly is going out tonight). But in general, I keep it almost all on Football with subscribers in the email and also on Social Media.

So wondering here what folks thought of the email last night and me straying from football?

Not a fan of you quoting a guy who made millions on a movie called Killer Joe (A cop (Matthew McConaughey) who moonlights as a hit man) lecturing us on making changes.  He should probably look in the mirror first.

That said, I don't hold it against you and don't mind you speaking about it if it's important to you.

Honestly, I skimmed past it initially. I agree in theory with the gist of the quote.  However talk rings pretty hollow and I’m a bit numb to a few delicately formed sentences. If there’s anything meaningful that you think you can do to work toward real, substantial change, do that instead, quietly. 

Yes. For sure zero need "to ask the masses if I can be me". But that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to how what I say is received. To me, that's just being a good communicator. 

I'll always be me. But I do appreciate feedback as I think it makes me better. 

As a business owner I appreciate lessons like this that you share.

As a business owner I appreciate lessons like this that you share.

Thanks. One thing I found as we built Footballguys was there didn't seem to be a lot of talk out there on how to build a small business. Over the years I've learned that a lot of people are like me and face similar issues and situations so sometimes I've found people have an interest in hearing how I see it. I'm certainly not saying my way is the right way. But I've seen it be helpful to walk through my thought process on how I got to the decision. 

Not a fan of you quoting a guy who made millions on a movie called Killer Joe (A cop (Matthew McConaughey) who moonlights as a hit man) lecturing us on making changes.  He should probably look in the mirror first.

That said, I don't hold it against you and don't mind you speaking about it if it's important to you.
Should Arnold not have been allowed to be governor of California because he financially benefited from playing a machine that killed humans who were fighting for freedom against robot overlords?  

This doesn't make any sense to me. Are you saying violent movies contribute to these shootings?

Should Arnold not have been allowed to be governor of California because he financially benefited from playing a machine that killed humans who were fighting for freedom against robot overlords?  

I wouldn't chose to quote him if he was asking us what small sacrifices can each of us can make to fix the problem.

This doesn't make any sense to me. Are you saying violent movies contribute to these shootings?

It contributes to our violent culture.  My main point is that I don't think choosing a guy who made huge dollars off a movie about being a hit man is the best option.  This just kind of rubs me like quoting Cuomo or Trump on how to treat women.

That said, I'm not upset with J about it.  He's said many things I don't agree with and I know that I've posted numerous things he didn't agree with.

Are you saying violent movies contribute to these shootings?
Well, they definitely can.  Also, video games that glorify killing.

A lot of mentally ill people out there.  The shooter in Texas was 18 and obviously mentally unstable.  Sad to say, but movies and video games glorify violence.  Also, with the isolation some have experienced during the pandemic, it can push someone over the edge, especially when you add the trash talk of on-line video games.  Seems foolish to a reasonable person for that to happen, but 330 million people in the US.  Only takes a very small percentage to cause the carnage we are seeing in this country right now.

A lot of mentally ill people out there.  The shooter in Texas was 18 and obviously mentally unstable.  Sad to say, but movies and video games glorify violence.  Also, with the isolation some have experienced during the pandemic, it can push someone over the edge, especially when you add the trash talk of on-line video games.  Seems foolish to a reasonable person for that to happen, but 330 million people in the US.  Only takes a very small percentage to cause the carnage we are seeing in this country right now.
There are violent games, movies and even music all over the world. 

It only happens in the US. Over and over and over again. 

Hi Folks,

Looking for some feedback. This is the email update we sent last night for our Footballguys Daily Email Update. I referenced the Uvalde Texas tragedy and shared some words by Uvalde native, Matthew McConaughey that I felt pretty well matched what I was feeling. 

https://www.footballguys.com/updates/?view=189

And from there it went on to our normal Email Update with fantasy football content. 

When you send out an email to 600,000+ people with your email address as the "reply to" email every day, I get a lot of feedback. Most of it was pretty predictable. Some, "Thanks for sending", and some "I'm unsubscribing because of your woke bull####" 

If you know me or have followed our Footballguys communication, I rarely get very far away from Football. I'll talk political talk in our Political forum here, but that's different. On our normal Footballguys content we communicate with our subscribers, I rarely get away from football except for three times a year: July 4, Veterans Day and Memorial Day (that interestingly is going out tonight). But in general, I keep it almost all on Football with subscribers in the email and also on Social Media.

So wondering here what folks thought of the email last night and me straying from football?
Since you asked, I think political talk, and yes it is political talk, should stay in the politics section.  It didn't bother me personally but I come to the Shark Pool to get opinions and debate on Fantasy Football, not what will evolve into a debate on gun control. Some of the reactions were of course extreme, but that's the nature of America right now.  One side or the other.  

I know, I know, I could have just ignored it, but you asked and if you don't want dissenting opinions, you shouldn't ask for any. 

I know, I know, I could have just ignored it, but you asked and if you don't want dissenting opinions, you shouldn't ask for any. 

I don't think I've ever discouraged dissenting opinions when I've asked for feedback. Thanks for sharing yours.

I've also found over the years the thing you're straying away from sports to talk about matters a ton. That's totally understandable and just human nature.

People usually don't mind you straying when the thing you're saying is something they agree with. 

People often have a problem when you stray to say something they don't agree with.

So often, it's not really about the straying. 
I agree with many, perhaps most, of your viewpoints. I couldn’t list them and don’t remember them per se, but I never read anything from you which prompted me to think you’re loony. I skip the non-football stuff. Even the veterans emails or whatever. You’re an intelligent man with valid, well educated opinions. But it’s not why I read your emails. I can get that elsewhere if I want it. 

that said, I’m definitely not unsubscribing or anything because you expressed an opinion. But I do understand where people compartmentalize things. Email from Joe, read it when I want to read about football. Email from other places, for those specialities.
We do get inundated with different things, for some that’s “wokeness”, which can cause discomfort if you feel attacked. That feeling is a big reason Trump won and is still relevant.  don’t change for those people.  

Have you watched anything out of Japan?  Care to explain the stark difference between the real world violence in Japan vs real world violence in America considering the astounding amount of violence in Japanese media?

Or has this point been proven wrong in the 80s?

People that want to avoid the real issues create “boogeymen” to go after.
If you think violence in movies and games doesn't contribute to a violent culture, you are burying your head in the sand.  I didn't suggest it was the sole purpose for violent behavior or even a major cause , just that it "can" contribute to it, especially with teens and young adults who go on rampages. 

If you think violence in movies and games doesn't contribute to a violent culture, you are burying your head in the sand.  I didn't suggest it was the sole purpose for violent behavior or even a major cause , just that it "can" contribute to it, especially with teens and young adults who go on rampages. 
So just gonna ignore my comment then?

I got off Twitter because it's becoming endless politics, much of which is just painfully cringe virtue signalling. I don't get your emails tho so I personally don't care. If I was on your list this would annoy me. I miss the days when we could talk about football, or whatever, and not self gratify ourselves with our righteousness. Social media and their algorithms has been making everything hyper-political all day everyday, or so I thought. It's disappointing you can't even quit them to get out of that black hole.

Since you asked, I think political talk, and yes it is political talk, should stay in the politics section.  It didn't bother me personally but I come to the Shark Pool to get opinions and debate on Fantasy Football, not what will evolve into a debate on gun control. Some of the reactions were of course extreme, but that's the nature of America right now.  One side or the other.  

Yes, as someone who hates anything non sports related being on my sports station I have to agree with this. The FFA or PF would both be a better place for this.

Users who are viewing this thread