What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For Dale, wherever he may be ... (1 Viewer)

otb_lifer

Footballguy
in memory of dear ol' friend, wik ...

🖤❤️🖤

You curl your toes in fun​

As you smile at everyone​

You meet the stares, you're unaware​

That your doings aren't done​

And you laugh most ruthlessly​

As you tell us what not to be​

But how are we supposed to see​

Where we should run?​

I see you shuffle in the courtroom with​

Your rings upon your fingers​

And your downy little sidies​

And your silver-buckle shoes​

Playing at the hard case​

You follow the example​

Of the comic-paper idol​

Who lets you bend the rules​

So, come on ye childhood heroes!​

Won't you rise up from the pages​

Of your comic books, your super crooks​

And show us all the way​

Well! Make your will and testament​

Won't you join your local government?​

We'll have Superman for president​

Let Robin save the day​

You put your bet on number one​

And it comes up every time​

The other kids have all backed down​

And they put you first inline​

And so you finally ask yourself​

Just how big you are​

And you take your place in a wiser world​

Of bigger motor cars​

And you wonder who to call on​

❤️ So! Where the hell was Biggles

When you needed him last Saturday?

And where were all the sportsmen

Who always pulled you though?

They're all resting down in Cornwall

Writing up their memoirs

For a paperback edition

Of the Boy Scout Manual ❤️

thank you, my Biggles - as we discussed - so. many. times.

Last edited:

A gut pull drag on me
Into the chasm gaping we
Mirrors multy reflecting this
Between spunk stained sheet
And odorous whim
Camera eye-flick-shudder within
Assist me to walk away in sin
Where is the string that Theseus laid
Find me out this labyrinth place.

I do get bored, I get bored
In the flat field.
I get bored, I do get bored
In the flat field

Yin and yang lumber punch
Go taste a tart, then eat my lunch
And force my slender thin and lean
In this solemn place of fill wetting dreams
Of black matted lace of pregnant cows
As life maps out onto my brow
The card is lowered in index turn
Into my filing cabinet hemispheres spurn.

I do get bored, I get bored
In the flat field.
I get bored, I do get bored
In the flat field

Let me catch the slit of light
For a maidens sake
On a maiden flight
In the flat field I do get bored
Replace with Piccadilly whores
In my yearn for some cerebral fix
Transfer me to that solid plain
Hammer me into blazen pain
Moulding shapes no shame to waste
Moulding shapes no shame to waste
And drag me there with deafening haste

Dale would agree

He'd want the fans union to determine the rule. Remember that? He had some weird idea about fans forming a union to counteract the salaries and corporate greed in sports. Not sure how a fans union would work, but I'm all for it in spirit.

In the sharp gust of love
My memory stirred
When time wreathed a rose
A garland of shame

Its thorn my only delight
War torn, afraid to speak
We dare to breathe

Majestic
Imperial
A bridge of sighs
Solitude sails
In a wave of forgiveness
On angels' wings

Reach out your hands
Don't turn your back
Don't walk away

How in the world
Can I wish for this?
Never to be torn apart

Close to you
'Til the last beat
Of my heart

At the close of day
The sunset cloaks
These words in shadowplay
Here and now, long and loud
My heart cries out
And the naked bone of an echo says
Don't walk away
Reach out your hands
I'm just a step away
How in the world
Can I wish for this?
Never to be torn apart
Close to you
'Til the last beat
Of my heart

How in the world
Can I wish for this?
Never to be torn apart
'Til the last beat
'Til the last fleeting beat
Of my heart

op in this thread was upon the one yr ann'y of my last correspondence with wik - right around the time of the last K4 Beatles Extravaganza Thread kickoff.

we reached a point where he related to me that he no longer felt the need to back channel any issues via PM any longer ... we both had been there/done that aplenty - so any private communication was strictly topical, or on a personal level that had ZERO to do with any board shenanigans.

it wasn't as pretty as all that, but it's the take i'm gonna have to hang my hat on - his scarcity in threads i had initiated, especially the last Derby/TC thread, told the Dale tale enough for me.

it kinda reminded me that our relationship kicked off in similar murky fashion ... i recall first posting here years ago, and seeing an awful lot of his posts, and constantly applying my smell test to them - never challenging them on the board, but just gauging the authenticity. i never quoted, nor initiated contact. call me a casual observer who was part blown away, part skeptical ... but 100% intrigued.

came a particular thread where i finally jumped in, and quoted him on a thought he tossed out that i found to be a bit much ... let's just say the thread in question was not his finest hour.

we had a mini-skirmish on the board, but then i received my first ever PM from a poster - hell, i honestly didn't even notice the option prior to.

it was from Dale, and he kinda asked me "what's what" regarding our disagreement, then proceeded to toss a few high falutin bombs in my general direction ... i responded in kind, and told him that a goodly half of me believes he's just some bullshitting shut-in, who has been meticulously crafting these tall tales for decades, and now he's just dropping them on a (finally) captive audience that chews up every word as if they were going to the chair.

his response?

"well, 90% of the game is half mental :shrug:"

(yes, the ol' Yogi adage, along with the "shrug" emoji)

i was floored - how could ya not be? disarming and charming and indicative of a self-deprecating wit that only a true mensch could deliver.

that rebuttal pretty much told me all i ever needed to know about our friend.

more ...

as per Cowboy stirring the horse memories ...

i suppose that the sport lends itself more to majestic parlance than any other athletic endeavor out there ... there's a certain inescapable lyrical romanticism to all the color and pageantry - yeah, even railbird cigar chompers pop a certain Runyon-esque charm ... it's a crooked and filthy game, but it's breathtaking at it's core - no other place on earth i'd rather spend a balmy Spring afternoon than Old Sandy (Beautiful Belmont Park).

the Derby/horse threads were mainly an exercise of nuts and bolts deconstructing of all the disseminated info - tons to pore over - from works to PPs to prep vids, etc ... handicapping's adherence to these factors can be a miserable task, as quite a large number of experts fall flat time and time again.

upon my first extensive thread on the Derby preps, wik and i fell in love with the same horse, an honest/grinding type who we felt would consistently punch the clock and put his work in ... not the flashiest, nor the fleshiest - but definitely the motor we both loved. his description of the horses (aniscules), his insight into every last facet of the game - was poetry. i have spent many years around the game - ingesting sooo much info, hanging over a ton of rails, losing myself in books dealing with strategy and alternative 'capping - and those tomes that championed the more gorgeous and altruistic bent of "The Sport of Kings" ... and Dale hit all those notes all by his lonesome - right here on this board - encapsulating all of the infuriating wonder of it all - his work in those threads was nothing short of dazzling - a deft 'capper, a salty gambler ... yet also a wordsmith who painted such remarkable thoughtscapes - his involvement in the industry years ago may have jaded him quite a bit, but he never lost sight of the incredible spectacle - and he shared all of it. it's a shame that those threads, much like the sport, are/were niche, at best. some of his most compelling moments lived inside of them - perhaps i'm being a bit too partial ... but i'll always appreciate how his unique spins on a subject i thought i had thoroughly exhausted always seemed as fresh and vibrant as the sunrise i'm now enjoying.

this PM exchange - upon me spotting him for the '21 Derby:

wikkidpissah

Footballguy​

Apr 29, 2021
i have no way to bet. i thought a friend had an acct to bet fb, but he doesnt

otb_lifer

Footballguy​

Apr 30, 2021
wikkidpissah said:
i have no way to bet. i thought a friend had an acct to bet fb, but he doesnt
i got your back - gimme what you'd like to do with a $50 budget - i'll pop it at the winderrs tomorrow ✌

[IMG alt="wikkidpissah"]https://forums.footballguys.com/data/avatars/m/30/30452.jpg?1659477712[/IMG]

wikkidpissah

Footballguy​

Apr 30, 2021
mighty sportin' of you, skeezix! when i got a shot this long and make bets this rarely, i'm all nose, clyde. $50 to win on Helium.

have NO electric financial instruments but, if it dont hit, shoot me an addy and it'll be out first post.

hope my enthusiasm doesnt cost you an extra level of dough in exotics or anything. it's a true stabberini. when the pps came out, i set out looking for a clouds guy cuz i think this class is ripe for Upset. thought it was gonna be Brooklyn Strong (cuz the Wood was a total onceover for him, never asked), but i rewatched the TBD and, if the fig's a 93, the 6-wide trip makes it a 98 and, carrying it further, if Casse could train him up to that in March, he can make it rain in May and have a fresh aniscule for the Trail. Leparoux knows the circuit, so.....

thx again, pal-o-mine

- as i said ... poetry ^ ❤️🐴

Priests n' Pagans

First Saturday

Big Al

PS - excuse these quote boxes below, cannot edit them out ... if anybody else can, much obliged.

Last edited:
revisiting the Iommi thread, i was reminded of ol' MoCS - was many a thread the two of us gummed up, along with wik & rock.

wik was absent from that Sabbath thread, but we got humming along in those last few Derby threads when Tom (MoCS) was still with us - he dropped a few foto essays up in them, as he lived a stones toss from the Twin Spires - those threads were golden - both wik & MoCS firing on all cylinders - along with the sorely missed EG72 - heavyweight action, indeed.

hell, we even drew rock/'stock in - which i greatly appreciated. there was a definite camaraderie with that lot ... will miss it a ton.

Cowboy, Hoard, Smails, JShare, etc ... all along for those rides, as well.

so much more to say - how can there not be.

hell, we even drew rock/'stock in - which i greatly appreciated.

If you'll allow me a moment I'd just like to say something really quickly. I know nothing about the horse race game and was never a stalwart of those threads, but I loved them because of wikkid, MoCS, and you. They were among the best threads on the board, easily. It always felt good to see you guys talking -- about anything, really -- but especially about something in which you all had so much in common. I treasured the camaraderie of wikkid and MoCS and will think of them both tonight. They are both gone too early.

Rest easy to you too, friend. Bright and early is the work to be done before the event. Peace.

Last edited:
If you'll allow me a moment I'd just like to say something really quickly. I know nothing about the horse race game and was never a stalwart of those threads, but I loved them because of wikkid, MoCS, and you. They were among the best threads on the board, easily. It always felt good to see you guys talking -- about anything, really -- but especially about something in which you all had so much in common. I treasured the camaraderie of wikkid and MoCS and will think of them both tonight. They are both gone too early.

the rewarding aspect of having you in those threads was just that, tho ... the fact that you came in and contributed, regardless of your knowledge, or itch to try and take down the pools, made it all the more enriching for all of us, i assure you.

i never quite knew what i'd be getting outta those 2 (wik, MoCS) ... but i kinda always knew what they'd be giving - does that make sense?

those threads had a tendency to morph into absurd anarchist theater during the 4 week run-up to the race ... that lull in number crunching and aniscule analyzing lent itself to some prime material from that lot ... wouldn't have had it any other way - they were two very special cats, benevolent in so many ways ... ways that we'll probably never see the likes of again.

and we are all the better for every last second of it.

Rest easy to you too, friend. Bright and early is the work to be done before the event. Peace.

my thanks to you for those sentiments ... and for the eyes/ears you've provided me over that years - i'm catching up on things, but may i say that you deserve your peace & happiness in spades - i wish you all the best ✌️

Users who are viewing this thread