What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For People Who Would Normally Vote Republican But Aren't Comfortable With Trump (1 Viewer)

All people should, it's not unique or special for one race or another. 

I can see from your posts that you take a very apologetic approach, I take an active approach by being a white teacher with a class that is 90% black and showing them day in and day out that the white man is not the enemy. It's shocking how little interaction there is between the 2 races. Majority of my students have limited to no relationships with any white folks. 

But more to your post as I'm not the norm, when I get around groups of white people I hear things that I would never say. I have had to ask people to refrain from using certain words that I find most offensive. In fact I recently ended a friendship with a very good friend I met in SoCal over the last 15 years but his antisemitism grew from where I hoped I could help him to the point I could no longer enjoy any conversations no matter how I tried to steer the conversation. So I do realize the validity in your statement but I also live in a different environment than a lot of folks. 
That's an interesting interpretation of how I handle race relations. 

I'm a little confused as to what you think I do for a living that makes my approach to race relations passive and apologetic when compared with your active role.
Let me clarify...one of us has an "A" type personality. There are colors in my world, red/blue/green and I'm kind of a red  :rant:  and you might be more on the blue or green side of things, that's all. We're different, thankfully for you. 

That's not entirely true.  One can't stop other people's stupidity, but one can take responsibility for and stop one's own.
In a nod to the Dunning-Kruger effect I just learned about the other day - stupid people are too stupid to realize they're stupid and can't fix it.

Or as Bertrand Russell put it, "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt".

Let me clarify...one of us has an "A" type personality. There are colors in my world, red/blue/green and I'm kind of a red  :rant:  and you might be more on the blue or green side of things, that's all. We're different, thankfully for you. 
 I recommend that you not begin a career in personality analysis.  It's not for you.

In a nod to the Dunning-Kruger effect I just learned about the other day - stupid people are too stupid to realize they're stupid and can't fix it.

Or as Bertrand Russell put it, "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt".
This is how Idiocracy happens. 

And yet people exhibiting racist behaviors change their behaviors all the time. If we're defining racism as a type of stupid, that seems to suggest that this cocksure attitude can be overcome.

You can't stop stupidity. Racism is just one form. One of its ugliest, sure. But still just one.

Ignorance != stupidity
Sure, but I was responding in the context of the above quote from Andy.

We can deal with racism.  It's painful, and annoying, and makes us feel uncomfortable, but ignorance can be dealt with.  So can stupidity - if we can cure the stupid of their ignorance of their own stupidity.

Sure, but I was responding in the context of the above quote from Andy.

We can deal with racism.  It's painful, and annoying, and makes us feel uncomfortable, but ignorance can be dealt with.  So can stupidity - if we can cure the stupid of their ignorance of their own stupidity.
I like that wording.

I've found that when I view all of my social interactions on the internet through the lens of the Dunning-Kruger effect, everything makes more sense.   

I've found that when I view all of my social interactions on the internet through the lens of the Dunning-Kruger effect, everything makes more sense.   
Especially here, where everyone thinks they are a polymath.

So come Nov. 8, you’ll find many of us sheepishly sneaking into voting booths across the United States. Even after warily pulling the curtain closed behind us, we’ll still be looking over our shoulders to make sure the deed is shielded from view. Then, fighting a gag reflex, we’ll pull the lever. We hate Donald Trump. But he just might get our vote.
This might be the most shameful thing I've read this election cycle.

And yet people exhibiting racist behaviors change their behaviors all the time. If we're defining racism as a type of stupid, that seems to suggest that this cocksure attitude can be overcome.
Is it a "type" of stupid or evidence that stupid exists? :oldunsure:  

I have been voting for 40 years and Trump is by far my least favorite candidate in all of that time. His deficiencies have been well documented in this thread. I would add that he has not come up with any reasonable ways to improve things either.

I can't help but wonder how Mitt Romney would have done this time. He seems like a superstar compared to the choices this election.

I have been voting for 40 years and Trump is by far my least favorite candidate in all of that time. His deficiencies have been well documented in this thread. I would add that he has not come up with any reasonable ways to improve things either.

I can't help but wonder how Mitt Romney would have done this time. He seems like a superstar compared to the choices this election.
He would have had a Reagan-level victory, in my opinion.  GOP should never have trotted him out against incumbent Obama.  Should have saved him for this.

Maybe if everything wasn't so PC and a white person opened their mouth and wasn't called a racist every 5 seconds maybe we wouldn't have such a silent majority but they have been pushed there. 
That's why some people refer to it as the Silenced Majority rather than the Silent Majority.

He's my second least favorite candidate. Romney would be winning this election.

Users who are viewing this thread