What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For People Who Would Normally Vote Republican But Aren't Comfortable With Trump (2 Viewers)

Donald Trump is so bad I actually thought to myself, "Well I guess I could live with Hillary."

Now excuse me as I go commit seppuku.

I think there's a good chance that it won't affect many people at all. The Supreme Court can prevent Obama from promulgating deportation policy by executive memorandum, but it can't stop him from prioritizing some deportations over others, or force him to prioritize deportations in general over other law enforcement activities, as long as he stays within whatever vague boundaries qualify as normal.

And in fact, Obama has been deporting illegal immigrants at a record pace.

So there's nothing legally wrong with his deportation policy except that it was made explicitly by executive memorandum rather than by secret hand-signals designed to have the same effect. I imagine that federal deportation policy will change very little based on the recent Supreme Court decision. There's no reason for him to speed up or increase total deportations, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Economic liberal and social conservative here...I wont vote for either Hillary or Trump.  Guess I can check out Gary Anderson

thinking about it...not sure if I'm liberal or conservative...guess that makes me a moderate
The kicker or the running back?

-QG

Not wasting my vote by voting for a buffoon in HRC or Trump.  They are both unqualified disasters.  Hillary scares me more.  Trump will occasionally make a common sense decision like in gun control.  HRCs tenure as SoS has been horrible.  The intervention in Syria, the stargey to allow the creation of an Islamic State to put pressure on Assad has negatively impacted the world.  The Syria strategy helped to create the biggest humanitarian crisis in my lifetime with the refugees migrating.  The migration of the refugees has definite impacted and precipitated BREXIT and potential,collapse of the EU.  The Arab Spring became the Arab Winter.  When I think about how much damage her one term as SoS has caused the world, the thought of her as President is damn scary and I'm not sure what the world looks like after four years of that....

Not wasting my vote by voting for a buffoon in HRC or Trump.  They are both unqualified disasters.  Hillary scares me more.  Trump will occasionally make a common sense decision like in gun control.  HRCs tenure as SoS has been horrible.  The intervention in Syria, the stargey to allow the creation of an Islamic State to put pressure on Assad has negatively impacted the world.  The Syria strategy helped to create the biggest humanitarian crisis in my lifetime with the refugees migrating.  The migration of the refugees has definite impacted and precipitated BREXIT and potential,collapse of the EU.  The Arab Spring became the Arab Winter.  When I think about how much damage her one term as SoS has caused the world, the thought of her as President is damn scary and I'm not sure what the world looks like after four years of that....
Ugh, not true.

That's the thing though. Any standard, or even semi-standard Republican would be demolished by Hillary. As f###ed as Trump being the guy is, the lead Hillary holds in the polls now would double under any other GOP candidate.
Not sure I agree with this.  Romney would win this election hands down in my opinion. I'd vote for him.

moleculo said:
I have been a (R) supporter nearly my whole life, but I feel like the Republican party veered way off-course midway through GWB's term.

There is no way I can support trump - I find nearly everything he says to be despicable.  I can't find a single redeeming quality.  I think he is absolutely qualified to build a hotel or golf course, but that's a far cry from the most important job in the world.

Here's the problem though - I think trump is a symptom of a deeper problem.  I can't quite put my finger on what that is, but there is something rotten with an electorate that can put this guy up there.  

I'm scared that the next guy (4 years from now) will take up the populist / xenophobic / corporatist / anti-science mantle, appealing to the lowest common denominator, but do it with a little more political savvy...and then we are all screwed.
This is simple....the GOP stopped listening to it's constituents.  They've been ignored.  A good amount of the GOP was much more progressive than the GOP politicians wanted to be.  When you have a group wanting their politicians to move one direction and the politicians decide to move the opposite direction, this happens.  If the dems don't change course, the same thing will happen to them.  "Status quo" doesn't work well for long periods of time.  It means you aren't progressing (or regressing for that matter), it means you're just sitting there.  That might be a fine position to be in if the average American felt like they were being taken care of and the gov't was doing what they were asked, but that's not close to reality.

If the dems don't change course, the same thing will happen to them.  
 I think this is unlikely. The Democratic Party is far more conservative than the Republican Party (by conservative, I'm not  using the term politically, of course. I'm suggesting that the Dems are much less likely to sustain a rebellion. The base of the Democratic Party remains pretty happy with the status quo.) 

Last edited by a moderator:
  If the dems don't change course, the same thing will happen to them.  
 I think this is unlikely. The Democratic Party is far more conservative than the Republican Party (by conservative, I'm not  using the term politically, of course. I'm suggesting that the Dems are much less likely to sustain a rebellion. The base of the Democratic Party remains pretty happy with the status quo.) 
Best thing about this is time will tell.  The bases of both are shrinking.  The conversation nomenclature is changing from "Dem vs Repub" to "liberal vs conservative" for that very reason.  The distinctions have begun to be made within the party as well.  The base of the party (establishment) may be happy (and why not...they're getting what they want) but they will absolutely have a fight on their hands if they ignore the rest in the party.

cstu said:
If she's as bad as you think she'll be then you'll have a Republican President in 2020.
That's the problem, though. I think she's going to be a pretty successful liberal (liberal to me, anyway) president.

God help us if we have a Dem Congress.

cstu said:
If she's as bad as you think she'll be then you'll have a Republican President in 2020.
If I was a Republican I'd probably be taking this approach, if I could talk myself into the SCOTUS not mattering that much.  Trump is almost certain to be a really bad president if not an outright disaster, and adding that to 8 years of W you'd be looking at a long time before voters would trust Republicans with the white house again. 

On the other hand if Clinton is as bad as everyone says, people will be more than ready for a change after 12 years of Democrats in the White House.  Even if she shows better judgment than we're used to from her,  I'm not sure the issues that are making so many people angry and afraid are likely to change much in the next 4 years.  At least not enough for people to notice. 

Republicans would be better off just waiting out the next 4 years and hoping the voters make a better choice for their nominee the next time around. 

This is simple....the GOP stopped listening to it's constituents.  They've been ignored.  A good amount of the GOP was much more progressive than the GOP politicians wanted to be.  When you have a group wanting their politicians to move one direction and the politicians decide to move the opposite direction, this happens.  If the dems don't change course, the same thing will happen to them.  "Status quo" doesn't work well for long periods of time.  It means you aren't progressing (or regressing for that matter), it means you're just sitting there.  That might be a fine position to be in if the average American felt like they were being taken care of and the gov't was doing what they were asked, but that's not close to reality.
I don't think that's true.  There is a good bit of the population out there that wants to move further to the right - they are the ones yelling the loudest, and dragging the (R)'s with them.  The politicians are a reflection of the constituency, IMO.  The tea party came about, propping up guys like Cruz, forcing out Cantor, etc...it has all the rest of them watching their backs, and is really taking the party away from moderation.

What has happened is that Barack Obama has driven the extreme right completely insane. In order to keep their jobs, Republican politicians have had to sell the product that's in demand.

I don't think that's true.  There is a good bit of the population out there that wants to move further to the right - they are the ones yelling the loudest, and dragging the (R)'s with them.  The politicians are a reflection of the constituency, IMO.  The tea party came about, propping up guys like Cruz, forcing out Cantor, etc...it has all the rest of them watching their backs, and is really taking the party away from moderation.
Perhaps....I am going back beyond Obama though....it started before then.  In recent years, I tend to agree with what Andy just posted....Obama's fanned the flames of the incredibly right, has them incredibly pissed off to the point they can't see straight.  Politicians have chosen to pander to that.

Must have been a short drive.
:lmao:

I personally believe there has been some good done by President Obama.  I hate the ACA with the heat of 1,000 suns, but he has done a good job otherwise.  He brought some respectability back to the office and was a good choice for our first minority President and a far cry better than Hillary would have been (or will be).

But many people around me think he is the anti-Christ.  I think some may actually literally believe that.  The venom they post on Bookface and even in person is insane.  And mostof these are normally well-reasoned folks.  It's kinda odd actually, but I blame the 24 hour news cycle from right-wing talk radio and Fox News.  People that absorb that stuff all day, every day get distorted views on reality.

:lmao:

I personally believe there has been some good done by President Obama.  I hate the ACA with the heat of 1,000 suns, but he has done a good job otherwise.  He brought some respectability back to the office and was a good choice for our first minority President and a far cry better than Hillary would have been (or will be).

But many people around me think he is the anti-Christ.  I think some may actually literally believe that.  The venom they post on Bookface and even in person is insane.  And mostof these are normally well-reasoned folks.  It's kinda odd actually, but I blame the 24 hour news cycle from right-wing talk radio and Fox News.  People that absorb that stuff all day, every day get distorted views on reality.
Of course.  Who else could the Party of Personal Responsibility blame? ;)

Perhaps....I am going back beyond Obama though....it started before then.  In recent years, I tend to agree with what Andy just posted....Obama's fanned the flames of the incredibly right, has them incredibly pissed off to the point they can't see straight.  Politicians have chosen to pander to that.
I think a lot goes back to Clinton years.  While there were divisions before...it was more noticed then with the onset of the internet and more places for people to vent frustration.  Just kept growing through the Bush years and now Obama years.

I think a lot goes back to Clinton years.  While there were divisions before...it was more noticed then with the onset of the internet and more places for people to vent frustration.  Just kept growing through the Bush years and now Obama years.
Whoever fired the first shot, the political discourse in this country has steadily dropped and gotten worse every single election since the Clinton era.  It's become something truly awful and has to be fixed.

Whoever fired the first shot, the political discourse in this country has steadily dropped and gotten worse every single election since the Clinton era.  It's become something truly awful and has to be fixed.
:goodposting:

Problem is, the electorate thinks another Clinton or Trump is the answer :bag:  

You just can't possibly believe that the Antichrist or the next Hitler could possibly look like a frog in a balding Amadeus wig dressed in a rumpled $200 suit.

Oh, and Newt Gingrich & Co. started all of this with their impeachment of Clinton. Did he perjure himself? Of course he did. But the witch hunt did more damage than the original act.

Since then it's been full blown war between the parties with the people left out in the cold.

Man do I hate Newt Gingrich.

Oh, and Newt Gingrich & Co. started all of this with their impeachment of Clinton. Did he perjure himself? Of course he did. But the witch hunt did more damage than the original act.

Since then it's been full blown war between the parties with the people left out in the cold.

Sure, but like I said it doesn't matter who started it.  It has to stop.

And everyone hates Newt.  He's the AntiBernie.

This was my thought on this issue, but I wasn't sure if it was just the first thing I remember because of my age or if it truly was the first time things started to get ugly.  I remember the moral outrage at his obvious infidelity and hatred of him as the representative of our nation.

I hear this a lot. Can you unpack why it will not end well for "us"?
Below is a Washington Post article from yesterday.  It's pretty good take on why some people who view Trump as a poorly-informed, loud-mouthed, ill-tempered, pathologically-lying bully (because he is) might vote for him anyway because they do not believe a Clinton Presidency will bode well for America.  It resonated with me, but I don't vote.

I hate Donald Trump. But he might get my vote.

By Jim Ruth June 28 at 7:25 PM

Jim Ruth is a writer and retired financial adviser.

No Trump campaign buttons or bumper stickers for me. I’m part of the new silent majority: those who don’t like Donald Trump but might vote for him anyway. For many of us, Trump has only one redeeming quality: He isn’t Hillary Clinton. He doesn’t want to turn the United States into a politically correct, free-milk-and-cookies, European-style social democracy where every kid (and adult, too) gets a trophy just for showing up.

Members of this new silent majority, many of us front-wave baby boomers, value hard work and love the United States the way it was. We long for a bygone era when you didn’t need “safe spaces” on college campuses to shelter students from the atrocity of dissenting opinions, lest their sensibilities be offended. We have the reckless notion that college is the one place where sensibilities are supposed to be challenged and debated. Silly us.

And please don’t try to stereotype us. We’re not uneducated, uninformed, unemployed or low-income zealots. We’re affluent, well-educated, gainfully employed and successfully retired. Some of us even own our own business, or did before we retired, creating not only our own job but also employment for others. While we’re fiscally conservative, we’re not tea partyers. And on certain social issues, many of us even have some leftward leanings. Shhhh . . .

Our view of the media is old-school, too — just the facts, please. Before his untimely death some years ago, Tim Russert of “Meet the Press” set the standard for “fair and balanced” by grilling both Democratic and Republican politicians in a way that never betrayed his personal political persuasions. That still works fine. It’s just damn hard to find.

The only pleasure the new silent majority has taken throughout this primary season has been watching progressives marinate in their own righteous indignation. They were giddy, like spoiled children opening Christmas presents, as they watched 17 Republican combatants call in airstrikes on one another. But eventually the tables turned as the Hillary-Bernie slugfest got ugly, and we took particular delight in the sour#### expression on the faces of the lefties we know when they realized that the Republicans, left for dead, suddenly had new life and a chance to win the presidency.

We are under no illusions about Trump. We know that this Man Who Would Be King is a classic bully and a world-class demagogue in his personal, professional and political lives. He will continue to demonize his perceived enemies and take the low road at every opportunity.

And we know that if Trump makes it all the way to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., the view after that is murky at best. We’re confident that he will surround himself with smart and capable people from the business world, as well as some Capitol Hill veterans. But here’s the rub: Past business associates describe him as a micromanager who likes yes men at his side. How long this new Washington brain trust will last in a Trump administration is anybody’s guess.

Who’s to blame for the Trump phenomenon? There’s culpability on both sides of the aisle for the absence of bipartisanship that fueled his rise. The left blames the policies of a fragmented, delusional, right-wing GOP. But the left bears responsibility, too. Turns out that the obstructers in Congress weren’t just the Republicans, as Bob Woodward reported in his book “The Price of Politics.” President Obama kept “moving the goal posts” in the 2011 sequester negotiations with Republicans. And who can forget the way Republicans were bullied over health care? They were left with no choice but to use every procedural maneuver in their arsenal to block, delay or postpone the liberal legislative agenda.

So why then would rational, affluent, informed citizens consider voting for The Donald? Short of not voting at all — still an option some of us are considering — he’s the only one who appears to want to preserve the American way of life as we know it. For the new silent majority, the alternative to Trump is bleak: a wealthy, entitled progressive with a national security scandal in her hip pocket. In our view, the thought of four to eight more years of a progressive agenda polluting the American Dream is even more dangerous to the survival of this country than Trump is.

So come Nov. 8, you’ll find many of us sheepishly sneaking into voting booths across the United States. Even after warily pulling the curtain closed behind us, we’ll still be looking over our shoulders to make sure the deed is shielded from view. Then, fighting a gag reflex, we’ll pull the lever. We hate Donald Trump. But he just might get our vote.

This was my thought on this issue, but I wasn't sure if it was just the first thing I remember because of my age or if it truly was the first time things started to get ugly.  I remember the moral outrage at his obvious infidelity and hatred of him as the representative of our nation.
All the more depressing that our political discourse paid the price for "moral outrage" by a bunch of people who have since all had sex scandals of their own.  Hastert's in prison, Livingston had his scandals, Gingrich had his and has admitted they were going on at the time he was impeaching Clinton.

Just sad.

All the more depressing that our political discourse paid the price for "moral outrage" by a bunch of people who have since all had sex scandals of their own.  Hastert's in prison, Livingston had his scandals, Gingrich had his and has admitted they were going on at the time he was impeaching Clinton.

Just sad.
That's not really how it went.

The left tried to make it about the infidelity. The Republicans made it about the perjury. The left obviously got their message though better, though.

The left tried to make it about the infidelity. The Republicans made it about the perjury. The left obviously got their message though better, though.
Well, Gingrich did refer to Clinton's presidency as equivalent to the Jerry Springer show at the time.  I don't think Springer did many shows on perjury.

Before his untimely death some years ago, Tim Russert of “Meet the Press” set the standard for “fair and balanced” by grilling both Democratic and Republican politicians in a way that never betrayed his personal political persuasions. That still works fine. It’s just damn hard to find.
I really miss Tim Russert. I think about him a lot. I can't think of anyone in the media today who's anything like him.

The impeachment was about perjury.

The public outrage I remember was about sex scandals going down in the Oval Office.

And he was also the one who stopped GOP Freshmen from talking to their Democrat Freshman counterparts. Start the wedge early

Below is a Washington Post article from yesterday.  It's pretty good take on why some people who view Trump as a poorly-informed, loud-mouthed, ill-tempered, pathologically-lying bully (because he is) might vote for him anyway because they do not believe a Clinton Presidency will bode well for America.  It resonated with me, but I don't vote.

I hate Donald Trump. But he might get my vote.

By Jim Ruth June 28 at 7:25 PM

Jim Ruth is a writer and retired financial adviser.

No Trump campaign buttons or bumper stickers for me. I’m part of the new silent majority: those who don’t like Donald Trump but might vote for him anyway. For many of us, Trump has only one redeeming quality: He isn’t Hillary Clinton. He doesn’t want to turn the United States into a politically correct, free-milk-and-cookies, European-style social democracy where every kid (and adult, too) gets a trophy just for showing up.

Members of this new silent majority, many of us front-wave baby boomers, value hard work and love the United States the way it was. We long for a bygone era when you didn’t need “safe spaces” on college campuses to shelter students from the atrocity of dissenting opinions, lest their sensibilities be offended. We have the reckless notion that college is the one place where sensibilities are supposed to be challenged and debated. Silly us.

And please don’t try to stereotype us. We’re not uneducated, uninformed, unemployed or low-income zealots. We’re affluent, well-educated, gainfully employed and successfully retired. Some of us even own our own business, or did before we retired, creating not only our own job but also employment for others. While we’re fiscally conservative, we’re not tea partyers. And on certain social issues, many of us even have some leftward leanings. Shhhh . . .

Our view of the media is old-school, too — just the facts, please. Before his untimely death some years ago, Tim Russert of “Meet the Press” set the standard for “fair and balanced” by grilling both Democratic and Republican politicians in a way that never betrayed his personal political persuasions. That still works fine. It’s just damn hard to find.

The only pleasure the new silent majority has taken throughout this primary season has been watching progressives marinate in their own righteous indignation. They were giddy, like spoiled children opening Christmas presents, as they watched 17 Republican combatants call in airstrikes on one another. But eventually the tables turned as the Hillary-Bernie slugfest got ugly, and we took particular delight in the sour#### expression on the faces of the lefties we know when they realized that the Republicans, left for dead, suddenly had new life and a chance to win the presidency.

We are under no illusions about Trump. We know that this Man Who Would Be King is a classic bully and a world-class demagogue in his personal, professional and political lives. He will continue to demonize his perceived enemies and take the low road at every opportunity.

And we know that if Trump makes it all the way to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., the view after that is murky at best. We’re confident that he will surround himself with smart and capable people from the business world, as well as some Capitol Hill veterans. But here’s the rub: Past business associates describe him as a micromanager who likes yes men at his side. How long this new Washington brain trust will last in a Trump administration is anybody’s guess.

Who’s to blame for the Trump phenomenon? There’s culpability on both sides of the aisle for the absence of bipartisanship that fueled his rise. The left blames the policies of a fragmented, delusional, right-wing GOP. But the left bears responsibility, too. Turns out that the obstructers in Congress weren’t just the Republicans, as Bob Woodward reported in his book “The Price of Politics.” President Obama kept “moving the goal posts” in the 2011 sequester negotiations with Republicans. And who can forget the way Republicans were bullied over health care? They were left with no choice but to use every procedural maneuver in their arsenal to block, delay or postpone the liberal legislative agenda.

So why then would rational, affluent, informed citizens consider voting for The Donald? Short of not voting at all — still an option some of us are considering — he’s the only one who appears to want to preserve the American way of life as we know it. For the new silent majority, the alternative to Trump is bleak: a wealthy, entitled progressive with a national security scandal in her hip pocket. In our view, the thought of four to eight more years of a progressive agenda polluting the American Dream is even more dangerous to the survival of this country than Trump is.

So come Nov. 8, you’ll find many of us sheepishly sneaking into voting booths across the United States. Even after warily pulling the curtain closed behind us, we’ll still be looking over our shoulders to make sure the deed is shielded from view. Then, fighting a gag reflex, we’ll pull the lever. We hate Donald Trump. But he just might get our vote.
This new silent majority is part of the problem.  Stop being silent and hold your elected officials accountable.  Get your hands dirty and stop lamenting the fact that others are getting theirs too dirty.

This new silent majority is part of the problem.  Stop being silent and hold your elected officials accountable.  Get your hands dirty and stop lamenting the fact that others are getting theirs too dirty.
Maybe if everything wasn't so PC and a white person opened their mouth and wasn't called a racist every 5 seconds maybe we wouldn't have such a silent majority but they have been pushed there. 

Maybe if we white people stopped being so racist, that would help, too.
Do you what you think you need to but I'm just fine with my decision making and don't need to apologize for being racist just because I happen to be white. See you seem to think just because we are white that we need to apologize and I don't feel the same way. Ignorance knows no color and there is plenty all the way around. It's not particularly fair that a special set of standards and morals apply to only white people, it should be expected across the board, don't you agree? 

Do you what you think you need to but I'm just fine with my decision making and don't need to apologize for being racist just because I happen to be white. See you seem to think just because we are white that we need to apologize and I don't feel the same way. Ignorance knows no color and there is plenty all the way around. It's not particularly fair that a special set of standards and morals apply to only white people, it should be expected across the board, don't you agree? 
I don't think I said anything about apologizing in that post.  I said we should stop being racist.  Don't you agree?

I don't think I said anything about apologizing in that post.  I said we should stop being racist.  Don't you agree?
All people should, it's not unique or special for one race or another. 

I can see from your posts that you take a very apologetic approach, I take an active approach by being a white teacher with a class that is 90% black and showing them day in and day out that the white man is not the enemy. It's shocking how little interaction there is between the 2 races. Majority of my students have limited to no relationships with any white folks. 

But more to your post as I'm not the norm, when I get around groups of white people I hear things that I would never say. I have had to ask people to refrain from using certain words that I find most offensive. In fact I recently ended a friendship with a very good friend I met in SoCal over the last 15 years but his antisemitism grew from where I hoped I could help him to the point I could no longer enjoy any conversations no matter how I tried to steer the conversation. So I do realize the validity in your statement but I also live in a different environment than a lot of folks. 

Users who are viewing this thread