What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Formation Fantasy Football (FFF) (1 Viewer)

Mario Kart

Footballguy
PREFACE - I have tossed this to a couple people from posters to Mods with some feedback. The problem I have seen over the past months is every body wants to work in the confines of what has been laid out for us from the beginning. We need to change that baseline and start over. I thought about trying to market this but than realized it would be way to difficult to have this become the norm rather than the exception. Read it carefully, print it out if you want, and adopt this to your league. The only problem right now with it is that there is no software that can run this type of setup. Therefore, I propose somebody that is in the know develop this software in order to run what I am proposing. I am here to share knowledge, not make money I guess. Hopefully there will be some constructive critism or praise but I do know that if this becomes the norm in the future, we will see many debates go to the way side. Just a note... it is 8 pages long in Word document. Enjoy!!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------The Revolution in Fantasy Football: Turning it into Reality?The one problem with Fantasy Football is that everyone has to draft the same way. The drafts all have one thing in common and have become stagnant over the years. The NFL does not run this way, why should our game? All teams look for that one RB that will win them the games and do not look at their drafting strategies in a Team manner. The NFL does not do this, why should our game? Most of the importance in Fantasy Football falls on one position or changing the scoring to fit the drafting styles we all have grown accustomed too. The NFL does not have this, why should our game? The NFL is a team sport and our game should be as well. I introduce you to… Reality Football. The team concept brought to You in a Fantasy style format. Debates rise and debates fail. Solutions are made and solutions are broken. Winners win, and losers well… lose. Is it luck, maybe, or is it skill, maybe too? This game we enjoy is a game that has a few rules that could change but it has one major rule flaw. This game tells You how to play it, instead of You telling it how You are going to play it. It is quite simple actually to figure this out. The old rule says for You to start certain players such as 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, etc. Well, what if Your team does not fit that structure? If your team does not fit that structure You, the owner, should be able to change it, right? Play the game; do not let the game play You.In the following pages I will outline how exactly You can tell the game how You will play it. Instead of every fantasy team being told how to play it and thus possibly being at a disadvantage due to injury, draft position, or bad drafting. Either way, Your season will be doomed if either happen yet if You turn around and say to the game “I am telling you how I am going to play you,” You might not be in the Toilet Bowl after week four. Fantasy Football is quite the fantasy. For 18 or more weeks in the fall millions of men, women, and children gather around their computers looking for the last possible moment to ask WDIS, or will RB XYZ score more than RB ABC today, or always play Your match ups. The past five years I have done the same thing with few weekend exceptions. Every Sunday I sat there telling the game “here is how you are telling me to play you and here I go.” This year I will do the same, as this concept will not catch on in the next month so this year for me will be no different. But, maybe next year more people will adopt this new Reality Football scoring method.Are You sick of playing the same game every year? Are You sick of playing the same game every week? Are You sick of drafting the same way year in and year out because the game is telling You how to play it? Ask Yourself these questions and I guarantee You that these have been on your mind at some point with no real solution in sight. I have the solution and I am going to explain the solution and You will say to yourself, “Wow, that is me telling the game how I am going to play it… I like it.”Fantasy football is quite different then Reality Football. Fantasy Football tells You how to play it and Reality Football allows You to tell it how You are going to play it. Fantasy Football has one formation with a few “flex” exceptions but overall everyone plays the same game because everybody has to play those positions. Well, Reality Football allows You to play to Your team’s strengths which will enable You to not worry about having a Stud RB or two great Stud RB’s to start. Reality Football is nearer to the NFL than Fantasy Football ever fantasized about before.Have You ever wanted to run the Run-N-Shoot offense? Have You ever wanted to run Your offense like a NFL coach? Have You ever wanted to run a 2-TE set in this Fantasy Football we play? Have You ever wanted to run a Power-2-Back set? Well, now You can. You are Your own coach and You are Your own GM. If You want to have 4 WR’s in the Run-N-Shoot You will spread the field more and look for the long ball but in that formation you have some advantage and some disadvantage. The same is said for the defense in that same manner. They have some advantage and some disadvantage as well. If You have the Power-2-back set You will want to pound the ball down the field. It is time for You, the player, owner, GM, to control the game rather than have the game control You? In the NFL some teams run a Power-2-Back set but they also have 2 or 3 TE’s in at the same time. The Power-2-Back set does not work without any blocking does it? The idea is to mimic the real game as much as the game we play.The following point distributions will have some constants for scoring but also have some bonuses with good points and bad points for each specific formation that You employ any given week. You might ask Yourself “why have bonuses based on the formation rather than the player?” I answer this with the explanations in the formation sections of the pages but it also happens in the NFL as well. Hopefully my explanation will fuel Your desire to play Reality Football in the future years.A – Scoring ConstantsB – Run-N-Shoot Set (RNS)C – NFL Pro Form Set (NFL)D – Big Formation Set (BFS)E – Power-2-Back Set (2BS)F – Double Back Rotation (DBS)G – Conclusions about Reality FootballA– Scoring ConstantsScoring Constants – QB**Rushing TD = 6 pointsPassing TD = 4 pointsPassing = 1 point/20 yards passing** (RNS = 1 point/15 yards passing, decimal scoring)Rushing = 1 point/10 yards rushing** (RNS = 1 point/15 yards rushing, decimal scoring)INT = -3 point if the opposing team returns the INT for a TD= -2 points if the opposing team scores (TD or FG) on the drive following INT)= -1 point if the opposing team does not score on the next drive1st down Pass = .5 points20 yard gain on one play = .5 points bonus40 yard gain on one play = 1 point bonus60 yard gain on one play = 1.5 points bonus80 yard gain on one play = 2 point bonusScoring Constants – RB/WR/TETD = 6 pointsRushing = 1 pt/per 10 yards (decimal scoring)Receiving = 1 pt/per 10 yards (decimal scoring)TE = 2 points per/reception in BFS** 1 point per/reception in NFL & DBS**.5 points per/reception in 2BS**20 yard gain on one play = .5 points bonus40 yard gain on one play = 1 point bonus60 yard gain on one play = 1.5 points bonus80 yard gain on one play = 2 point bonusFumbles = -3 point if the opposing team returns the Fumble for a TD= -2 points if the opposing team scores (TD or FG) on the drive following INT)= -1 point if the opposing team does not score on the next drive1st down Run/Receive = .5 pointsScoring Constants – DefenseDefense TD = 6 pointsSafety = 2 pointsSack = 1 point** (worth 2 points when against the RNS)INT = 2 points** (worth 3 points when against the RNS)Fumbles = 2 points** (worth 3 points when against the RNS)Shutout = 6 points1 – 13.5 points allowed = 4 points14 – 21.5 points allowed = 2 points22 – 35.5 points allowed = 0 points36 – 70 points allowed = -2 pointsWinning the game = 2 pointsLosing the game = -2 pointsScoring Constants – KickerExtra Points = 1 ptField Goals = 3 pts (all of them)Any rushing or passing is normal scoring, non-specific formation scoring.B – Run-N-Shoot Set (RNS)1 QB, 1 RB, 4 WR, 1 K, and 1 Def.The scoring bonus is two fold here. In the case of the offensive team, You, the QB is bumped up in scoring. Instead of the QB getting 1 point per 20 yards passing the QB will now receive 1 point per every 15 yards passing. This could be a game breaker because if Your QB throws for 300 yards in the RNS formation the QB will score 20 points based on yardage instead of the normal 15 points. The other side of the coin here is that the rushing that a QB does when in the RNS formation decreases in value. Instead of rushing equaling 1 point per every 10 yards rushing he will only receive 1 point per every 15 yards rushing. A 60-yard performance is worth only 4 points instead of 6 points. This is a pocket passers formation and not a running QB’s formation.The other trick to this formation is the opposing defensive scoring. The potential for QB scoring is huge in this formation given the passing stats alone. To equalize the QB scoring the defense is given a little bump for how the defense plays. They are, in theory, going against a fast paced opponent and may be rewarded for that. In this case every INT or Fumble the defense gets they will receive 3 points instead of 2 points in the other formations. To sum up the points per turnover, the defense will receive 1 more point for each turnover. If the defense scores on that turnover immediately they will receive 4 points instead of 3. Also, in the RNS QB’s tend to be in the shotgun and thus sacks are more difficult to come by so those points increase to 2 points per sack instead of receiving 1 point per sack. It is more difficult to sack the QB in this formation thus giving the defense a bonus when they do accomplish it will allow You the owner to possibly doubt putting Your team in this formation.If Your roster enables You to start 4 WR’s and a star QB due to bye weeks or injuries You should be able to dictate what lineup You put out there. This is not to say You will definitely score more using this lineup but at least You are given the option if Your roster would allow this lineup any given week. This lineup also allows You to draft in a different manner. If you are willing to go the Stud WR way You could well come out ahead because You will not need a Stud RB. It would help sure, but to have the option of throwing other scoring opportunities out there is always a benefit to the player… You.What this lineup will also do for You the owner is to look at Your opponents defense to check out his matchup as well as Your QB matchup. If Your opponent has a defense matchup in his favor You might not want to employ this lineup due to the advantage he might gain. You will take a risk in using this lineup so You will have to ask yourself about Your team and how You built Your team. C – NFL Pro Form Set (NFL)1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 Def. The most basic of formations in Reality Football is the NFL formation. The bonus to using this lineup is each reception from the TE position will garner an extra point per reception. In this basic formation the concepts of “matchups” come into play. Most every team will have a RB to start, whether they have one or two to choose from is the “matchups” again. The 3 WR’s will enable You to start the “matchups” again. It is up to You to play the right ones. A basic formation is the basic roster in Reality Football. The only scoring bonus is for the TE but unless You are going to do the RNS you are going to have to start at least one TE. This formation again calls for You to calculate “matchups” as well as some other things. Since You have to start three WR’s you might be starting some teams #2 unless You go into the draft expecting to start this formation all year. In which case, You might have three viable #1’s which should put You at an advantage. This formation does not look pretty but it is the formation that most of us are used to seeing. Would this be the most beneficial formation? Who knows, but it does offer uniqueness for You as the GM to pursue. I would go out on a limb and offer that this formation would probably be the most used at first until drafting strategies are thought up for the other formations exclusively. D – Big Formation Set (BFS)1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, and 1 Def. A different kind of formation but if You as the owner drafts accordingly it could end up being a monster in disguise. The trick with this formation is to grab two TE’s that will catch many balls. This is key as each TE reception is worth 2 points instead of 1. There are no other differences in scoring for this formation but with 2 TE’s that will, hopefully, catch 5 or more passes that will be another 10 points in your stable. It might not look pretty but it still could work effectively.Unless the “value” is there drafting two TE’s early in any draft is probably going to get You laughed at. But, if those two TE’s happen to be the best two TE’s that will grab at least 50 balls throughout the course of the year that is easily another 100 points in the kitty. Having two big games in one week from each of them will surely give You just as good a chance at winning than using either of the other three formations. This formation will probably be used the least out of the four, at least right away. If the draft is going in an unfamiliar way that might lead You to drafting two top tier TE’s You might find yourself happier than before. In all seriousness though, it would take guts to use this formation given the other options but it definitely does have its perks.E – Power-2-Back Set (2BS)1 QB, 2 RB, 1 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, and 1 DefFor all of the Stud RB guys out there this formation is for you. The perk to using this formation is that You get to start two top tier RB’s if You have them. The downside to this formation is that You also have to start two TE’s. The other downside to this formation is that the TE receptions will only net You half of one point per reception. That is right, .5 points per reception. If the two RB’s perform like You want them to, the TE’s should not even matter… right?Everyone might try to jump on this formation because of the sexy 2 RB’s that start. Read a little closer and realize You have to start 2 TE’s as well and it might shy you away from using this formation. Of course though, if You have two stellar RB’s most everyone will say to use this formation as RB’s score more points. But, will they score more points to overcome the other two TE set that this formation calls for? That is for You to decide and proceed with caution forward.Oh, the quandary You will be in if You have two RB’s with great potential in any given week. Should You start both risking the great benefits to using them or should You start one in hopes You pick the right one to start. Knowledge, matchups, schedule, and gut feeling will all come into play when concluding to use this formation.F – Double Back Rotation (DBR)1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 Defor1 QB, 2 RB, 1 WR, 2 TE, 1 K, and 1 DefCall this one the RBBC formation. The trick to this one is that you have to start a scat back, or a third down back, or a RB that is not listed as the #1 RB on the roster. You have all the amenities of starting 2 RB’s but, like in real football, one of Your RB’s will only get a few carries. Like in real football there are not two Studs out there getting yards. In Reality Football this game takes that into account. This is also developing a new position within our game.Players like Najeh Davenport, Lamont Jordan, Kevan Barlow (before the Hearst injury), DeShaun Foster, and others would fit the bill for this position. The true RBBC teams will have this RB position filled if this formation is to be used. The TE’s will gain a point per reception that might entice a two TE set but will having the second TE diminish from Your possible second WR? Decisions will be made when using this formation. Lineups including Tomlinson and Holmes will be no more. That does not happen in the NFL and that is why this is Reality Football. With a true RBBC in tow this lineup may be a winner. A breakout game or injuries to the starter will aide this lineup. Do You possess both RB’s on the same team? Well, play them both and root for that team running the ball. Most likely You will get all rushing stats for that day. Is there a number two RB that comes in for goal line carries or short yardage, if so You can utilize him now. A true RBBC in Reality Football this lineup is.G – Conclusions about Reality FootballIn real NFL football drafts the teams go into the draft room and figure out how they want to run their team. They might want a Stud QB to build their team around with a young WR crop to grow into and mold. Others might want to have that Stud RB with the QB position having a mentality of “just enough is good enough.” Well, if people apply Reality Football scoring methods the draft room for each individual will once again come back to this very same question. Do you want to run a power offense looking for yards on every play and score little by little? If You do You will most likely have 2 TE’s in on the line to help block and open holes. You will not look to pass hence You will only have 1 WR out there to help block and draw the corners away from the ball. If Your TE’s are receiving TE’s You could use some play action fakes to help move the ball. These would be Your TD scoring TE’s that will net You points quickly when on the goal line. It is a risky method to use but it does get the job done. Do You want to employ this method for Your Reality team? It is not pretty but will get the job done.Reality Football does a couple things that are not traditionally done in Fantasy Football. Reality Football brings drafting back into the game like never before. Fantasy Football has developed stagnant drafting strategies that have become unrealistic and most often are determined by drafting position which than produces many teams to look alike within the first couple of rounds. Stagnation is not good for the game. Reality Football brings stagnation to a screeching halt as You the owner are now allowed to follow one of five formations when drafting. This is not even and ends all resolution as You do not have to stick to this formation throughout the year. Depending on bye weeks and injuries You may simply change focus and use what You drafted to fit into another molded formation to remain competitive. A chance to stay competitive is much better than seeing Your main person get injured for the year with most hopes now gone.Another thing Reality Football needs to address is roster size. Most leagues have a roster limit that caps the roster with waiver wire pickups sometimes a necessity. Increase roster sizes to hold at least two TE’s as well as two Kickers, and two Defenses at all times. In the formations above every formation started eight positions. The only, in my mind, need for a flex position if scoring is what most people would like to do would than be to have a flex at the Kicker or Defense position. This will bring the importance of those two respected positions up to scale, as their scoring increases so will their importance. The forgotten positions of TE, K, and Def will once again move up on the ladder with these formation propositions.Finally, Reality Football is a change of pace to what we have all come to love and enjoy. This system would easily be in beta mode for this year if anyone were able to adopt software that could run it. I believe that this could overcome many obstacles as individuals evolve with this game. Some of the strategies have become stagnant and really hold to much water now. How do we overcome this? The simple answer is to say, “add a WR to start”, or “take away one RB” or some other comments I have seen posted. Well, that is fine but one problem remains… the whole league still uses the one lineup requirement when drafting so in actuality drafting will not change because every one is still going to roll the dice on that one or two Stud RB’s in hopes of having them. The importance of the RB has become overblown in retrospect to other positions as well as the game itself. Reality Football does not take away from the RB position rather it enhances what You the owner can do to combat each individual You face from week to week. Footballguys.com and other Fantasy Football sites have aided this game in more ways than one. I think it would be a huge step forward if we as a whole were able to keep moving this game along for the better of the game. Fantasy Football is yesterday’s news. Reality Football will be tomorrow’s news.DEFENSE!!This is the defensive side of the ball. The Reality scoring system for the IDP standards given the basic formation are in the following pages. The advantages and disadvantages for each one will be explained within the text. Enjoy.A – Defensive Scoring ConstantsB – 4-3 DefenseC – 3-4 DefenseD – Nickel DefenseE – Dime DefenseF – Big DefenseG – Conclusions A - Defensive Scoring Constants:Linebackers (LB)Solo Tackles = 2 ptAssist Tackles = 1 ptsSacks = 2 ptsInterception = 2 ptsForced Fumble = 1 ptsFumble Recovery = 2 ptsPass Defended = 1 ptAny TD = 6 ptsDefensive Lineman (DL)Solo Tackles = 2 ptsAssist Tackles = 1 ptSacks = 3 ptsInterceptions = 2 ptsForced Fumble = 1 ptsFumble Recovery = 3 ptsPass Defended = 1 ptAny TD = 6 ptsCornerbacks/Safeties (DB)Solo Tackles = 2 ptAssist Tackles = 1 ptSacks = 3 ptsInterceptions = 3 ptsForced Fumble = 1 ptsFumble Recovery = 2 ptsPass Defended = 2 ptsAny TD = 6 ptsB – 4-3 Defense3 DE, 2 LB, 3 DBWell, since this is an only start 8 defenders thing this is the lineup for all formations. This is the basic formation and the scoring is as such as stated above. This is basically the basic formation in the NFL and as such will be in Reality Football. Advantage = When playing/using this defense there will be one formation that this formation will have an advantage over. Like all defense formations to follow there will be one advantage and one disadvantage for each of them. So, when using this defense against the offensive formation of NFL this defense will have an advantage with the DE’s. In this defense the DE’s will gain a point for Solo Tackles (3 pts), Assist Tackles (2 pts), and Forced Fumbles (2 pts).Disadvantage = When using this formation and the offense you are playing against is the DBR, Double Back Formation, the Interceptions for the DB’s will be 2 pts, the Passes Defended for the DB’s will also be a point less at 1 point. This defense offers the advantage when playing against a base offensive formation. This defense will allow a team with better DE’s to have the advantage against an offensive team that is playing with no flair. This defense will also be hurt when the offense is a two pronged attack offense. With the DBR offense the offense can attack either by running the ball or by passing which would throw the defense off since the offense can run or pass on either play. The DB’s would be challenged and weakened by having to be in on the play every play thus their lowered points within the disadvantage.C – 3-4 Defense2 DE, 3 LB, 3 CBThis defense is for the passing offense. Thus the advantage will fall with that type of offense. The 3-4 normally has 4 LB’s so this defense is geared towards quickness. With the right drafting style a Reality team may be able to utilize this defense with minimal disadvantages. Advantage = This defense when playing against the offense of Big Formation Set (BFS) will gain an advantage because of the amount of TE’s that the offense puts out there. The LB’s should be able to cover the TE’s and having 3 DB’s against 2 WR’s should be able to cover them as well. The LB’s will get more points in this formation to the tune of Solo Tackles 1.5 points, Assists 1 point, Forced Fumble 2 points, Fumble Recovery 3 points. Any LB that gets a lot of tackles could be huge in this formation with this advantage.Disadvantage = The offense that will give the disadvantage is the NFL style offense. Single coverage on the WR’s with the running and TE position covered. Therefore the DB’s are the ones that will be hurt by this. So, the DB’s scoring will decrease by Sacks 1 point, Interceptions 2 points, Passes Defended 1.5 points. This is not a DB friendly disadvantage much like the 4-3 Defense but with a good front line the DB’s should not have to worry much.D – Nickel Defense2 DE, 2 LB, 4 DBThis is a passing defense and if you can put out a defense worthy to stop the pass you should have an advantage. Hence, this is also a fast defense that would be top notch in a dome. But, we will not have a dome or grass advantage. The two offenses this defense will add or subtract points from will include the Double Back Formation (DBR) and the Power-2-Back (2BS) set. Advantage = A fast defense will counteract a fast offense. The many WR’s or passing threats that the Double Back Rotation (DBR) brings to the game will give the defense the benefit of the doubt. The 4 DB’s will easily cover the WR’s and TE’s as well as the 3rd down back. Since this is the case the DB’s will gain some advantage to this defense. The DB’s will garner 2 points for Solo Tackles & Assist Tackles, 2 points for Fumble Recovery, and 3 points for Pass Defended.Disadvantage = If the Nickel defense is in place and the offense in place is the Power-2-Back set (2BS). A power run game will work better if there are 4 DB’s in the game. Thus, if these two are set up the disadvantage will result in the front end of the line instead of the back end of the line. The DE’s will garner 1 point per tackle, 2 points per sack, and 2 points per Fumble Recovery. The disadvantage happens up front when Power is on the offensive side of the ball.E – Dime Defense2 DE, 1 LB, 5 DBThe two defenses involved here for the advantage/disadvantage are the Run-N-Shoot (RNS) and the Big Formation Set (BFS). Respectably having 5 DB’s will benefit the defense when playing against the RNS. If your Reality team is able to protect you and give you the advantage against the RNS you might be taking a chance by giving up some front line help. Thus your advantage will be in the back end if you are afforded the opportunity to play them. Advantage = DB’s are your key here thus they will be bumped up a bit. Solo Tackles and Assist Tackles will give you 2 points each. Interceptions will give you 4 points each and Passes Defended will garner you 3 points each. A top DB in this defense advantage might have a big game for you but most likely your 5th DB will not be any top notch DB thus they might equal each other out. Disadvantage = Will you ever play a Dime Defense against a Big Formation Set? I hope not because DB’s, for the most part, cannot hang with TE’s and big WR’s. The numbers might be in your favor but the sizes of your players are not. Therefore you will have a disadvantage up front. DL will garner 1 point per Solo Tackle, 1 point per Sack, 1 point per Interception, and 2 points per Fumble Recovery. The DB’s do not suffer since they can handle their own but the DL is the big problem here as well as the LB but you are only playing one of them.F – Big Defense3 DE, 3 LB, 2 DBA run stopping power defense is what you get with the Big Defense. The advantages and disadvantages should be pretty self-explanatory but they have not been laid out yet. So, if a team with two great backs is going against you and you have a tough front six you could possibly minimize their gains. On the other hand you do not want to see the RNS applied to this defense.Advantage = The DL’s and the LB’s are the beneficiaries of this defense especially when the advantage is with them. The DL will gain more of an advantage than the LB’s because the LB’s are all ready high up on the point scale. Therefore the DL’s will gain the points here. Thus, Solo Tackles will garner 3 points, Assist Tackles will garner 2 points, Sacks will garner 4 points, and Forced Fumbles will get you 2 points. The DL’s could have a huge game if the right DL’s are put in place.Disadvantage = If someone is going to play this defense whether out of necessity or pride the best offense to play would be the RNS. The same DL’s that benefited before will not anymore. They will garner far fewer points and will get the following: 1 point per sack, 1 point per tackle, 1 point per Fumble Recovery, 1 point per Interception.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Some things may be tweaked and others may remain. I am putting this out there to see how others feel. In all defenses I did not touch the LB scoring all that much if at all because those are the important positions in IDP. To spice up the DL and the DB’s I put more points on them to enhance that position. I think it should work this way more so than adding points to the LB’s because the LB’s are more consistent and will get near the same points each week. Adding bonus points to the DL and DB’s will enhance the scoring of those positions to sometimes better the LB’s in a certain game. A great game should reward the player.Comments??

Last edited by a moderator:
There isnt a single site out there that can run those calculations, and there is no way Im going back to spending my Mondays tabulating by hand.

I too am a fantasy nut, but have no chance of sitting and reading that post here at work.I will, however, print that puppy and read it in the can, where I can truly give it the attention it deserves.Thanks for the thought and for posting your idea. :thumbup:

Calculating by hand is one thing... hence the proposal for someone to develop the software to run this set up.The formations would be included in a drop down box of some sort... you click what formation you are running and than it leads you into setting your lineup and all the scoring calculations would be preset.You know what I mean??

I love the thinking here and I would be up for a league like this in a heartbeat if1) IDP was used and starting differnt defensive formations got bonus' against certain offensive formations 2) there was a site that could handle the scoring, I don't think anyone wants to go back to figuring out all this themselves.

Calculating by hand is one thing... hence the proposal for someone to develop the software to run this set up.The formations would be included in a drop down box of some sort... you click what formation you are running and than it leads you into setting your lineup and all the scoring calculations would be preset.You know what I mean??
your right, it really wouldn't be that hard to create a site that did this. I was kicking around creating my own site for a detailed league like this but didn't know how to get the scoring updates and such in it.

Not only is that too complicated, it doesn't do what you claim.For instance, if I have two stud RBs and want to start them both I must also have 2 TEs. That isn't allowing me to play to my strength. Its just another form of control the game has over me and not the other way around.If you really want control just include flex positions. If you want to de-emphasize the RB than change the scoring. Anyway you slice it, your system is too complicated and full of flaws.sorry, but you did want straight shooting righ?

your right, it really wouldn't be that hard to create a site that did this. I was kicking around creating my own site for a detailed league like this but didn't know how to get the scoring updates and such in it.
I think the one sticking point is the .5 pt bonus per 20 yards in one passing play you have for the QB's, RB's, WR's and TE's.The only stat feeds (if they do exist) that support that play by play detail are very expensive and you would have to build the site and pray for business or expect a sizable loss if it does not fly.Play by Play scoring also becomes very data intensive... something to consider.

" thus possibly being at a disadvantage due to injury, draft position, or bad drafting"isnt that reality football? you are supposed to be at a disadvantge if you cant draft, draft well according to your draft position or experience injuries at key spots- This is way too complicated, would confuse 90% of us who like fantasy to be a simple extension to the NFL and not an entire course. go for it if you like it but i will pull a ricky before i join a league like that

It' simple. . . if you have 2 stud RBs then dissregard having good WR depth and go after 2 top TEs. . . the idea is tobuild a team to play a certain way. The point isn't to allow everyone to play their strengths, it's for everyone to plan a little more and put some thought into their drafting instead of everyone drafting the same way and overvalueing the RB positon.IMHO anyone who does not like the idea of something like this is not able to think for themselves or formulate their own opinions about players.

if you figure it out jason i would love to get into that league........Tillman is fun, you're doing a good job as commish :thumbup: A league like this would be a huge challange, only the true fantasy nut could handle it, i mean look at the additional research you would have to do to come up with projections.......1st downs, lengths of plays, then to adjust what formations you want to build your team around........this could keep you busy for quite some time.sounds like a ton of fun, but like others have said, the managing of a league like this would be quite a task

" thus possibly being at a disadvantage due to injury, draft position, or bad drafting"isnt that reality football? you are supposed to be at a disadvantge if you cant draft, draft well according to your draft position or experience injuries at key spots- This is way too complicated, would confuse 90% of us who like fantasy to be a simple extension to the NFL and not an entire course. go for it if you like it but i will pull a ricky before i join a league like that
the normal fantasy game is not an extension of the NFL. . . it is indeed fantasy. RBs are not nearly as important in the NFL as QBs are, heck some may say that WRs are more important then RB. But in the average fantasy league if you havn't got 2 stud RBs (depending on league size) then you are a bottom feeder.

It' simple. . . if you have 2 stud RBs then dissregard having good WR depth and go after 2 top TEs. . . the idea is tobuild a team to play a certain way. The point isn't to allow everyone to play their strengths, it's for everyone to plan a little more and put some thought into their drafting instead of everyone drafting the same way and overvalueing the RB positon.IMHO anyone who does not like the idea of something like this is not able to think for themselves or formulate their own opinions about players.
Simply changing the scoring rules or lineup requirements would let you de-emphasize the RB position and it would be a whole hell of a lot simpler than this system. Just make it a 2 QB league with points for receptions and you can do that.

When thinking about creating the platform I forgot to take into account the play by play aspect of the game. . . . deffeinaltly not something feasable by an average rube.A dedicated commissioner on my fantasy league though could make the formations and bonus's for receptions happen if you were to take out the play by play aspect of it.DirtyHalos:Thanks for the encouraging words. . . but I wish we had done a little more in TML to reduce the significance of RBs. When creating the scoring I allowed 2 very traditional fantasy friends of mine to affect the set up and I am disapointed.

IMHO anyone who does not like the idea of something like this is not able to think for themselves or formulate their own opinions about players.
Thats a load of crap. I am able to think for myself. I am also able to form opinions about things. However, I think scoring systems should be fairly simple. I like systems which can allow someone who's good at doing math in their head to see a players stat line at the bottom of the screen and figure out how many points they've scored. I can appreciate your interest in a different type of system but that hardly makes me as mentally weak as you imply. And thats my honest opinion.

Sorry, again when I wrote that statement I neglected to remember that ther was scoring in this system for play by play. I too feel you should be able to look at a box score and at least approximate how good of a fantasy day your guys had. My problem is with people who are unwilling to try something new because it will throw all the ADPs/rankings off and make RBs less important.

Sorry, again when I wrote that statement I neglected to remember that ther was scoring in this system for play by play. I too feel you should be able to look at a box score and at least approximate how good of a fantasy day your guys had. My problem is with people who are unwilling to try something new because it will throw all the ADPs/rankings off and make RBs less important.
I agree 100%.Too many people afraid of innovation.Too many people stuck in their RB-first mentality.As for the individual bonuses...is LONG a regular part of a stat line? (I know when you look up stats on NFL.com or Yahoo.com they have rushes / yards / long / TD).So if eveyrone agreed that there would be no more than one bonus per player per game for long plays, maybe it's doable without having to worry about play-by-play stats?This is a cool idea. I haven't finished reading all the nuances yet, but will post more feedback later.

Not only is that too complicated, it doesn't do what you claim.
For instance, if I have two stud RBs and want to start them both I must also have 2 TEs. That isn't allowing me to play to my strength. Its just another form of control the game has over me and not the other way around.
It is not a form of control because going into drafting you need to compensate for how you will play the game. The idea is to emulate the real NFL thus if you have two options for a RB you will not have 3 WR's out there and expect the big gains for that RB. In order to gain yardage you need blocking thus having to have the blocking formation in there to utilize your Stud RB option. If you felt that you would not want to go with 2 TE set than there are other formations for you to utilize but only using 1 RB. This forces you to play the matchups of either RB. This also emulates the actual NFL more than the other Stud RB formation. The real truth behind this though is that if you are going to play this formation throughout the year you better draft accordingly. If everyone is going to play this formation than there will be no TE's thus raising the QB and WR position higher. The reality of it though is that not many people are going to use a Stud RB set because players like Moss might go as high as pick 2 or 3 and QB's might go as high as 9 or 10. The idea is to change the drafting and this is doing that. The other ideas is to give the player... you... other options that you can play rather than having everyone play 1 QB, 2 RB, 2/3 WR, 0/1 TE, 1 K, and 1 Def.
If you really want control just include flex positions. If you want to de-emphasize the RB than change the scoring. Anyway you slice it, your system is too complicated and full of flaws.
You lose the argument here because if you simply add a flex position that does not change the drafting at all. In fact it reemphsizes the importance of a RB. If I am allowed to start 3 RB's I am going to draft as many as I can simply because they do score more because they have more chances than a WR. This does not change or enhance drafting strategies at all. All adding a flex position does it add to the importance of the RB position.
sorry, but you did want straight shooting righ?
You are correct and I am also replying to you to help make you and others understand, if you are seeing where I am coming from, is that the formations are what is flawed in fantasy football. It is not the scoring, it is not flex positions... it is the fact that everyone has to play the same way. This Reality Football, I call it, gives many other options with advantages and disadvantages just like the real game played in the NFL.

I think the one sticking point is the .5 pt bonus per 20 yards in one passing play you have for the QB's, RB's, WR's and TE's.The only stat feeds (if they do exist) that support that play by play detail are very expensive and you would have to build the site and pray for business or expect a sizable loss if it does not fly.Play by Play scoring also becomes very data intensive... something to consider.
I agree, this would be something that would either have to be worked into the software, or simply taken out.My point to add these bonuses is to say, "The important play on the field in the NFL helps that team, thus could we incororate that into the fantasy world?" Tha play by play would be difficult to do in that I dont know if software technology could handle it. The other reason it is a small bonus is to not make it so significant that it might be taken out instead. The idea is great but I understand the feasibility of it might not be ready yet.To address another point I dont think has been made. The QB INT scoring I think is important even though it is another play by play event. The point here is that a INT at the end of the half on a hail mary should not hurt the player as much as an INT that is returned for a TD. Can this be worked in?? Maybe not now, but it would be an interesting stat overall to incorporate into the game.These are play by play stats that would be fun to have only because the importance of them on the real NFL field displays their importance. Over the course of the year the point differential might as well be small but over the course of one game it might matter more often than not too. Just a thought.

However, I think scoring systems should be fairly simple. I like systems which can allow someone who's good at doing math in their head to see a players stat line at the bottom of the screen and figure out how many points they've scored.
The scoring system is simple. It is decimal scoring with no points per reception for RB or WR's. The only players that gain points per reception are for TE's. The only differences in scoring system is that the play by play scoring capabilities. Overall you still can look at the bottom of the screen and see what your player did... on the other hand should a big play not be rewarded to a small degree such as in the real NFL game?? That is why I put those points in there. I can understand not having them that is why they are small bonunes thus if they were to be taken out the main thing to change in the overall scoring is that the different formations that you are able to play thus changing the importance of the RB because you can only start 1 in most formations without having to make compensations elsewhere.Question: If you knew you could only start one RB in most formations... how many of you would look for a WR or QB in rounds 1 and 2?? If you do go the Stud RB way you will also have to draft 2 TE's that will catch TD's to help you out as well. That is the compensation of the formations.

I love the thinking here and I would be up for a league like this in a heartbeat if1) IDP was used and starting differnt defensive formations got bonus' against certain offensive formations 2) there was a site that could handle the scoring, I don't think anyone wants to go back to figuring out all this themselves.
I have never played in an IDP but I would certaintly hope each system could work together. Having a defense play in a 3-4, or a 4-3 or if your opponent is running the run-and-shoot than you should be able to pull back and play a nickel or dime defense. The bonuses you suggest would have to be worked in there as I will not speculate what kind of bonuses they would be. This would also be a 53 man roster squad so you can play your strengths as well. If your opponent is playing the run-and-shoot and your strength is in your linebackers... that will be quite the matchup for you two... just like the NFL.

One year we played with allowing owners to run different formations. Let's see if I can remember.Run and Shoot was 1 RB, 4WRs, and no TEWe had a double TE, a Wishbone, I can't remember them all.The catch was that the Owner had to declare what Offense he was going to run with, and he had to keep it all season.

I agree, this would be something that would either have to be worked into the software, or simply taken out.My point to add these bonuses is to say, "The important play on the field in the NFL helps that team, thus could we incororate that into the fantasy world?" Tha play by play would be difficult to do in that I dont know if software technology could handle it. The other reason it is a small bonus is to not make it so significant that it might be taken out instead. The idea is great but I understand the feasibility of it might not be ready yet.To address another point I dont think has been made. The QB INT scoring I think is important even though it is another play by play event. The point here is that a INT at the end of the half on a hail mary should not hurt the player as much as an INT that is returned for a TD. Can this be worked in?? Maybe not now, but it would be an interesting stat overall to incorporate into the game.These are play by play stats that would be fun to have only because the importance of them on the real NFL field displays their importance. Over the course of the year the point differential might as well be small but over the course of one game it might matter more often than not too. Just a thought.
I love the idea myself too - your hit it right on the head - feasibility. Another poster offered the 'LONG' possibility as a replacement - it would not be a recurring as you like, but more feasible.I think the # of times a Hail Mary at the end of a half went for an INT is minimal. Also, you have to consider the potential fantasy windfall for the QB if it actually works out. For the high reward, there is always the high risk.

Psychology Kev

What do you say we colaberate a system and do a 12 team test run this season? Keep this thread going for ideas and draft close to the start of the season.

We can come up with IDP scoring/bonus stuff drop the play by play stuff, and focis on bonus' for formations and pulling the QB value up a bit?

Psychology Kev

What do you say we colaberate a system and do a 12 team test run this season? Keep this thread going for ideas and draft close to the start of the season.

We can come up with IDP scoring/bonus stuff drop the play by play stuff, and focis on bonus' for formations and pulling the QB value up a bit?
I am game definitely... you and i would be included but would you want to have 10 others involved?? We could assign people what formations to draft for or we could all have our ideas hidden and run like a normal draft??I would be in for sure. If we do an IDP though, we would have to take team Def out... right??

yeah just IDP. . . . and I would just assume have it be a real draft and season to see what people do. Would love to hear other people opinions about an in depth league like this ..... interest,ideas? I would like to add specail teams as well, not a huge factor. . . but something to think about when drafting.

Would you want to have two drafts... one offense and one defense with the last pick in one getting the first pick in the other or would you rather keep it all together like the NFL. The values of players will be all out of whack because there is nothing like this out there. AWESOME!! 53 rounds right??could be 55 if we include coaches... two or three coaches per team depending who would want to draft them and how many.how would special teams work and would they be a roster spot??lastly, would we have punters??personally, in a test run i would like to keep it without punters as the scoring for them i really have no idea what to do and how to do that.special teams might get a little weird if they are a roster spot as well.having a real 53 man roster with all positions covered, other than punter, would be a great idea.

I think having one large draft would be the way to go. . .let people decided where their priorities lie. Speacial teams spots is just an idea, I have never worked with them before as most people are completely against them (always the traditional). But in a reality league it's something to consider. You can always find leagues that have punters and return men to look for scoring options. Their scoring wouldn't weigh heavily at all would even rate below PKs.I'm gone for the day, I'll deffeinalty be thinking more about this and maybe check in later tonight. I also printed out your origional post to read through it in more depth.later :yes:

IMHO anyone who does not like the idea of something like this is not able to think for themselves or formulate their own opinions about players.
Thats a load of crap. I am able to think for myself. I am also able to form opinions about things.
Yep, not liking someone else's ideas is thinking for yourself. If I think its a bunch of crap, its because I formulated that opinion. If I say "whatever you say is cool Kev" that's when I'm just following a herd and not thinking for myself. That would be letting Kev think for me.

As far as special teams goes:If your going to use IDPs then you can allow scoring for kick and punt returns for ALL players. This just adds another element of value for the players that are involved in special teams then. On both sides of the ball.IDPs get points for making tackles. On special teams or during normal defensive plays. This includes offensive players who might make tackles on special teams. Then scoring for return yardage needs to be weighted in balance with the overall scoring. Kick return yardage is not equal to punt return yardage. You could just have them combined. But that is somthing to recognise.So what this does is makes players like Derrick Mason, Steve Smith, Phillip Buchanon more valuable because of thier kick return scoring. Which makes the draft a bit more interesting.53 players is cool. I play in a league of this size 12 teams but we use more starters than your model does. Our starters are not confined by formation limitations. We use more flex options.I understand the issues about supply and demand concerning RBs. But I do not personaly have as much of a problem with it as many people seem to. I can see the value of decreasing the number of RBs started or by tweaking scoring to try and balance the positions. But injuries are part of the game also. And no position is at as much risk normaly as the RBs are. New RBs emerge every year. Having depth at the position is still going to be very important even for a team employing a Run and Shoot version of your formations. I do see how you make this option more viable which can allow a owner with less RB depth to adapt to injury or depth issues perhaps a bit more.I still think the goal would be able to have a team capable of running every formation offered and then wieghing thier options each week based upon match ups.A league is always going to be limited by the abilities of the owners that participate in it. Regardless of what rules you develop some owners will be able to adjust to them better than others will. And then there are the rules lawyers who will always find loop holes in any system and take advantage every time they can.I wish you luck with this experiment. I like looking at different ways to play this game. You might want to look into XFL (I think thats what it is called)scoring rules. They have rules for offensive lines and punters. Basicly everything as well as salary cap rules. They have thier own web site which tracks all of this. Sorry if I got the name of the league wrong. I was looking at it a month or so ago but I know I do not have enough time for it right now.

I think you are being very creative and I applaud you for that. The problem I have with this whole concept is the line you keep repeating "This game tells You how to play it, instead of You telling it how You are going to play it." every game in the history of mankind has rules that the players must follow for there to be competetion. These rules are not just suggestions, they are rules. I feel like your system would make the competition less interesting not more. The fact that everyone in a league must use the same roster requirements is the whole point. That is where the strategy lies- who you draft and what backups you have on the bench and who you start. If I am playing chess, it might suck that my queen got taken in the first three moves, but I can't just change the rules to make another piece as powerful, I have to use strategy and wits to accomodate my weakened position. Both players are using the same pieces and the same rules to play the game, it is their individual strategies that differ and that is what makes the game interesting. My advice is to continue to play under the time tested rules and find a new strategy within those paramaters to help you win and have fun, rather than reinvent the wheel. :thumbup:

I think you are being very creative and I applaud you for that. The problem I have with this whole concept is the line you keep repeating "This game tells You how to play it, instead of You telling it how You are going to play it." every game in the history of mankind has rules that the players must follow for there to be competetion. These rules are not just suggestions, they are rules. I feel like your system would make the competition less interesting not more. The fact that everyone in a league must use the same roster requirements is the whole point. That is where the strategy lies- who you draft and what backups you have on the bench and who you start. If I am playing chess, it might suck that my queen got taken in the first three moves, but I can't just change the rules to make another piece as powerful, I have to use strategy and wits to accomodate my weakened position. Both players are using the same pieces and the same rules to play the game, it is their individual strategies that differ and that is what makes the game interesting. My advice is to continue to play under the time tested rules and find a new strategy within those paramaters to help you win and have fun, rather than reinvent the wheel. :thumbup:
Very good. All points taken... :thumbup: The "rules" that you state that are ground in dirt more less are rules that are old and obsolete. These rules were made when leagues were six or eight or ten teams large... not twelve not fourteen and definitely not sixteen team leagues. Using "rules" designed for a small league do not correspond for larger leagues.The great thing about Fantasy Football is that things have changed since it has begun way back in the early 70's I believe. Drafting, yearly debates, weekly debates and such have all become stagnant with no real solution in tow. Last year I did not have two Stud RB's and I won the league playing by the rules that we have set up. Stud RB's do not win all the time but that is not my focus here. I am also not trying to change the rules rather enhance them. If we all used the same formation we will all draft the same way. If we are allowed to use different formations than we will all draft differently. That is what I believe will happen. My focus is to offer other options as a whole and therefore offering different strategies to our game.If this thing takes off the way I believe it could most of this time next year will be talking about what formations are to be used and who will work better in what formation with different players. Lastly, think of it this way. The current system has favorites every week and most times those favorites have the better RB's. That is not how the NFL works and, I believe, therefore our game should not work the same way. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY... think about those three words. We all should be able to put out a team on Sunday and have a 50% chance of winning... not because we have the best RB's but because our players have the best matchups, formations, and options.

The first league that I played in, all you got was points for touchdowns and field goals. I think you've crossed over the line into insanity...

The first league that I played in, all you got was points for touchdowns and field goals. I think you've crossed over the line into insanity...
What were your starting lineups?? That is what would interest me... not the points as the point system is pretty simply... take away the play-by-play scoring and the scoring system is the same as most others. :thumbup: :thumbup:

:D Funny line.
We all should be able to put out a team on Sunday and have a 50% chance of winning... not because we have the best RB's but because our players have the best matchups, formations, and options.
I understand you want to bring the game into the 21st century and this is a great concept you are proposing, but I can tell you that the average player and even the above average player is not going to want to do the research required to play in this format. The hardcore :nerd: type players might love this shiznit, but most will not. As far as the statement above goes, by your logic, no one drafting in the bottom half of a 10 or 12 team league this year has a chance to win week in and week out since they will not have stud RB's on their team (thanks Ricky!). I disagree with that. I am drafting last and will be a factor in every week, I promise. This is what I have been trying to convey, that cunning and strategy and insight are what win at FF, not just having the best RB. We don't need to change the greatest hobby ever so radically that we scare off half of the players, just to make it more fun or more challenging to the few that are bored with it. These boards get the usage they do because this game is F-ing hard, if it were as easy as you are saying, in the format we all play under now, I would have stopped playing years ago. It is like golf, impossible to master- but damn fun trying to. :thumbup:

Thinking outloud here:53 man roster... 8 offensive starters... 8 defensive starters... roster makeup possible:22 offensive = 13/22QB - 3/4RB - 3/5WR - 5/7TE - 1/3K - 1/322 defensive = 15/22Dline = 5/7LB = 4/6CB = 3/5S = 3/4Other = 4/6Coach = 2/3SP = 2/3So that equals a minimum of 32 and the maximum of 50. If we were to have 53 roster spots those last three could really be used to the owners discretion. Developmental players or handcuffs. There is a lot of leeway there with a roster that big. Total starters per week would be 16 (roughly).8 offensive starters include 1 QB, 1/2 RB, 1/4 WR, 0/2 TE, 1 K, 1 Coach8 defensive starter include 2 DE, 2/3 LB, 2/3 CB/S, 1 SPDoes that look about right??

These boards get the usage they do because this game is F-ing hard, if it were as easy as you are saying, in the format we all play under now, I would have stopped playing years ago. It is like golf, impossible to master- but damn fun trying to. :thumbup:
I am not saying the game is easy... I dont win all the time. I am saying that the game has become stagnant with little originality in the game. Look at the Mock Drafts for support of my position.We are agreeing with little minor differences here... :thumbup:

Thinking outloud here:53 man roster... 8 offensive starters... 8 defensive starters... roster makeup possible:22 offensive = 13/22QB - 3/4RB - 3/5WR - 5/7TE - 1/3K - 1/322 defensive = 15/22Dline = 5/7LB = 4/6CB = 3/5S = 3/4Other = 4/6Coach = 2/3SP = 2/3So that equals a minimum of 32 and the maximum of 50. If we were to have 53 roster spots those last three could really be used to the owners discretion. Developmental players or handcuffs. There is a lot of leeway there with a roster that big. Total starters per week would be 16 (roughly).8 offensive starters include 1 QB, 1/2 RB, 1/4 WR, 0/2 TE, 1 K, 1 Coach8 defensive starter include 2 DE, 2/3 LB, 2/3 CB/S, 1 SPDoes that look about right??
Yes that looks fairly well balanced.My league uses:1QB 2-3RB 3-4WR 1TE 1K 2-3DL 2-3LB 2-3DB for a total of 18 starting positions. I think this works well. It is not all about the RBs even though RBs have the most value. There are just too many other positions of importance for anyone to win just because they have good RB production. So you see by increasing the number of starters it adds flexibility to an owners strategy as well. I think your model not requiring 2 starting RBs would be a good one also.We have no formation specific starting alignments but I believe the league I mentioned XFL does. And it has scoring modifiers based off of the formation employed also. And it uses a offensive line as well as a larger number of IDP starters which are also formation specific with scoring modifiers based off if you are using a 3-4 or 4-3 I think they allow a 4-1-6 also. So even more players contribute each and every week.I think that league is pretty cool. It has a complex salary cap system also which was one of the main things I did not feel I had time for although it does really interest me.

Kev,I like what you are proposing. The individual defense and 53 man rosters might be a little much right now. I love the idea of formations for offense however. I think it is the future of fantasy football. Eventually the way we play the game now will become mundane, much like td only leagues have become. Apparantly the current format has become a little mundane for you, but maybe not for others. I would be open to trying a league with offensive formations, but only if the rest of the league were on board. I think it would be cool to draft Gonzo and Shockey in the 3rd/4th rounds. Multiple configurations make you think that much more. Bye weeks would become especially intriguing. If one of your rb's matches up with a top D like Baltimore maybe you opt for a different formation than the 2rb set.Change is good. I think you are on to something. :thumbup: The only suggestion I would make is to take it one step at a time. I would start by using the offensive formations you came up with and leave everything else the way it has been. Try a league like that at first and see how it goes. The 53 man roster is probably too much at this time.

The only suggestion I would make is to take it one step at a time. I would start by using the offensive formations you came up with and leave everything else the way it has been. Try a league like that at first and see how it goes. The 53 man roster is probably too much at this time.
I am all for starting with the offense as well. jason12vb proposed we do a defense as well. I have not done IDP before so that is why I initially only did the offense. jason12vb and I are looking to do an experimental draft and follow this all the way through the year... the old way by hand :shock: ... so if you are game just keep checking this thread. If you are you would be the third right now. The outline I stated above would be a type of blueprint with defense included. For now a part of me would like to stick with the offense too. Maybe have two drafts one with offense only and than another one with offense and defense combined. These would be the baselines for my... our... little experiment for this year to see how it goes. I am excited just thinking about it.

First, I do not wish to do all of this by hand. :no: If we were to use MyFantasyLeague we could use the set scoring and as commissioners can then go through and give the bonus' needed for the the various starting lineups.

Now my main rant: The biggest and best change I've seen in fantasy football the last couple of years has been the emergance of IDP. Fantasy football has made it so fans only care about the offensive side of the ball and couldn't give a rip about things defensively. Like the old proverb says "offense sells tickets, defense wins games". Defense in the NFL is as important if not more than offense when putting together super bowl champions. I think it's ludacris that people are fine with drafting a team defense, would anyone ever consider just drafting a team offense?

I would venture to guess that 95% of the people who have played in an IDP will NOT go back to playing with team defenses. Think back to when you first started playing fantasy football, you probably knew the big names. . . the Thurman Thomas', the Jerry Rices, maybe even the Anthony Carters. After just one year I'll bet you could name AT LEAST every teams top 3 WR and top backup RB. It just gave you a better appreciation on the NFL and helped you enjoy it more every week. That's the same thing that ISP will do for you once again, can you name all 4 starting defensive backs or who the nickel/dime LBs are for every team in the NFL? You can have that same appreciation for defensive players that you do for offensive ones an I can guarontee that you will feel even more superior to the average fan that you already do.

I can see the agruments for just sticking with team defenses this year as it will be hard enough to find people to get on board with the offensive changes here. I also see the value behind having an offense only draft to see where people get picked. BUT, this league is about change and migration to be more like the NFL and I cannot fathom a "reality league" that only cars about the offensive side of the ball.

I think it would be cool to draft Gonzo and Shockey in the 3rd/4th rounds. Multiple configurations make you think that much more.
LOL, 3rd or 4th round? I would say 2nd for Gonzo . . .maybe even a 1st. The guy would be gold in a formation where he gets 2 points for every reception.

I have not read one single post in this thread. It took me 2 minutes just to scroll through to be able to to add a reply. I won't even bother to list my leagues scoring for each position. However, I will give you my opinion on the best way to run a Fantasy Football league.The money league I have been in for the last six (6) years scores through the SUPERBOWL. There is no weekly head to head competition. So, when you draft your players, You must also take into account which teams you think will make it the furthest in the playoffs.This format allows everyone in the league to retain hopes of winning one of the 1st - 4th place cash prizes at the end of the season.The percentage breakdown of cash payouts are as follows:1st = 50% of prize pool2nd= 25% of prize pool3rd = 15% of prize pool4th = 10% of prize poolAll the best to all fbg's for the upcoming season.Spongebob

I am totally with you jason12vb about the defensive side of the ball. The more data points we have with this formation system the more data we will have in support of this kind of thing. Personally, I would not mind doing the offensive scoring by hand throughout the year. I bet it would not take as long as most people think... only doing one side of the ball.The test run for the offensive side of the ball would be great to do because it gives us one data point. If we stuck only with the offensive than that would detract from the importance of using this system with defensive players if we do not have a data point for that side of the ball. Therefore, if we can get 12 people to do a draft with the offensive side of the ball I would do the scoring for that all year. The trick would be to get those same 12 people or have a differing makeup of individuals to draft both offense and defense for another draft. 2 drafts = 1 offense only... 1 IDP included. Having two drafts would hold more water for the following year than only having one draft.

I have no problem with having 2 seperate drafts. It would then at least give people an idea for next year how an offensive draft would go. There are just sooo many hard headed people out there fighting any chages that youd be lucky to get people to adapt to the offensive aspects let alone adding IDP at the same time.

i love the idea. send me an email if you find enough guys for a league like this. i would love to participate. xfactor0969@hotmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread