What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fortnite - The Game (4 Viewers)

I guess one thing I'll say about this compared to a normal "shooter" is that maybe 5-10% of a typical game involves actual confrontation/shooting.  Most of it is searching, building, etc.

If only I had better twitch reflexes and could build faster and better, I could probably be average to above average.  :bag:   I play with my son and he is pretty darn good.  Thankfully he tolerates me.  Get a few rounds in and I don't totally stink.  I have gotten rounds with 5 or 6 kills.  Not much past that.

I want to give this game a shot.  Played it 2-3x and didn't get one kill, mostly because I couldn't get a hang of the controls.  I know there's a learning curve like all games, but is there a good Fortnite for Dummies tutorial or something?  Especially with regards to how to build?

I want to give this game a shot.  Played it 2-3x and didn't get one kill, mostly because I couldn't get a hang of the controls.  I know there's a learning curve like all games, but is there a good Fortnite for Dummies tutorial or something?  Especially with regards to how to build?
It's hard to get used to the gunplay because there is so little gunplay.  One of the challenges I had too.  It just took time (a lot more time than with a typical shooter).

There is a co-op mode against AI enemies but it is not free like the main game.

Are your kids already involved in organized sports, or are they not otherwise active unless they are working for screen time?

Not attacking, just inquiring. When my kids were younger they had a lot of screen time restrictions (set limit per day).  Now that they are older, it is much easier to monitor.  Both are in high school now, so between practice or games everyday during basketball and baseball season or homework, we really don't have to monitor it much anymore, though they are on a screen all weekend.  I'm sure that is too much, but as long as their grades are where they are, I'm past keeping a stop watch on their screen time.
This is similar to where I am with my 9th grader.  Grades are solid...plays 3 sports...robotics...band.  I don’t mind too much when he blows a few hours as long as his responsibilities are handled.  I don’t monitor time anymore.

This is similar to where I am with my 9th grader.  Grades are solid...plays 3 sports...robotics...band.  I don’t mind too much when he blows a few hours as long as his responsibilities are handled.  I don’t monitor time anymore.
3 sports and robotics and band?  That's a lot.  Kudos if he can do all that and keep the grades up.

I've heard people talk about this, but didn't know what it was so i just googled it....and my 8 yo will never play this.  

I'm already in the dog house cause I let him buy Battlefront 2.  Its a little more than I though, but I didn't research too much.  

Looks like something I'd enjoy.  

3 sports and robotics and band?  That's a lot.  Kudos if he can do all that and keep the grades up.
Definitely was a busy year.  He is giving up the band after this year as football is is first love and he hopes to be contributing on Friday night next season rather playing his trombone.  I suspect he will give up basketball as well because it is his least favorite sport.  He almost walked away from it this year.   He is probably a better basketball player than baseball player, but he enjoys baseball more.  Most of the robotics competition season also overlaps with basketball.  I encouraged him to play everything as long as he can and as long as he enjoys it.  I told him he will miss it when it is gone.   He is feeling a little pressure though (self imposed) to get in the weight room with his football teammates during those football off-season months.

I played a few rounds yesterday and just don't get it. To make sure I wasn't missing something I watched some Twitch streams. You spend all this time running around a deserted map hitting things with a pick, followed by 10 seconds of action, then you sit around waiting. Pretty boring if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm being honest, I give it another month or so. By the time kids come back to school, I dont see it being a huge thing. 
Probably accurate. The new Call of Duty and the long awaited Red Dead Redemption 2 drop within 2 weeks of each other in October.

My boy (11) has been asking/whining to get this game because he claims all his friends have it.  He has issues with attention so there's that but he also has been getting in trouble at school at least on his last report card.  Nothing major but nearly all of his teachers claim he is not working up to his potential. He often chooses to hang with the kids who make him laugh and gets roped  in when they get in trouble.  Anyhow, I told him that if he wants a shot at this game his behavior needs to improve.  He has 2 months before school gets out so he has that time to make a change in his behavior.  Then there's the issue of getting a PS4 to play the game.  He currently only has an XBOX 360.  

My boy (11) has been asking/whining to get this game because he claims all his friends have it.  He has issues with attention so there's that but he also has been getting in trouble at school at least on his last report card.  Nothing major but nearly all of his teachers claim he is not working up to his potential. He often chooses to hang with the kids who make him laugh and gets roped  in when they get in trouble.  Anyhow, I told him that if he wants a shot at this game his behavior needs to improve.  He has 2 months before school gets out so he has that time to make a change in his behavior.  Then there's the issue of getting a PS4 to play the game.  He currently only has an XBOX 360.  
My son plays on his xbox one

My HSers are on it all the time with their friends.  It's the new way to interact.  Like going to the courts when we were kids.  Texting and gaming.  Ain't hurting anyone.  I used to play Modern Warfare with them and their friends.  It was always interesting to hear one of the kids cuss (they were like 13 years old), and then apologize to me.  Like I care.  Their parents cuss 10x more than the kids do.

I would never let my kids play this junk that promotes addictive violence. 

Instead we play a few minutes of some games from my youth, where one could finish an opponent by grabbing them by the neck and ripping out their head with skeletal remains in tack.  None of this killing someone from a tree 300 feet away. Bunch of puddies kids are today!

So as not to hijack further the other thread about iphones for kids, what are peoples thoughts on this game?

Wife and I have resisted so far for my 12 year old under the premise that we don't allow the kids to play games where people shoot other people. I know it's a cartooney type of game, but the premise remains.

We are open to other opinions for sure. 
My kid is 12 he loves it. 

No blood, no violent deaths. It's about as tame a shooter game could be.

There's a lot of strategy actually. I think it's a great game. I wish I was better at it myself as it's fun to play.

the #1 streamer for Fortnite (Ninja) makes something like 500K a month just by having people watch him play the game.  Unbelievable.
Current confirmed numbers are up to $875,000 per month for his Twitch subscriptions alone, but that doesn’t count the (near constant) donations nor does it include his YouTube income, where every video he posts gets 2-5 million views.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/04/07/ninjas-new-fortnite-twitch-records-5-million-followers-250000-subs-875000-a-month/#5254a402478f 

I watched a couple of his videos and would say it’s odd in that he doesn’t talk much at all. Very little commentary in the 10 minutes or so total I watched. He’s just really incredibly good at the game. 

It’s a fun game. No blood or anything when you die, and honestly I don’t get the hate about children playing video games that have violence. I grew up playing mortal Kombat and 007 and I don’t go around shooting people and finishing them. I let my 5 year old daughter play every now and then.

Im not the greatest at the game, but add me on PS4 anyone who wants to do duos or squads. SSlayton320 on PS4.

My son (23) introduced me to Fortnite in January. He brought his PlayStation over.

I bought a PlayStation in February.

My son is over tonight with 4 of his friends. Blunts are flying around.

Kinda dig Fortnite.

It's just a video game, no big deal. But on the other hand, there's also no need to embelish the benefits of learning teamwork, strategy, eye-hand coordination, architecture or any other supposed amazing side effect.

Probably accurate. The new Call of Duty and the long awaited Red Dead Redemption 2 drop within 2 weeks of each other in October.
Not a chance.  This game, which has eliminated pay to play, is a cultural phenomenon that is only gaining steam.  It’ll be around much longer than a few months.  

We enjoy the game. Like I said in the other thread, my 13 year old daughter plays and is pretty good. She has her own PS4 and so she plays on her machine while I play on mine,, My 18 year old daughter just came home from college and she is like Ultimate Camper in the game and finishes almost every match in the top 10 because she just hides. She is twisting my arm to get her a PS4  for her room so we can all play with at once. 

I suck at the game. I am too RPG orientated as I like to explore the land and all the buildings and collect stuff. When a person attacks me, my kids just die from laughter, because I inevitably push the wrong buttons and begin dancing or start building a floor.  :lmao:  

I was getting ready to go out last night and my son was getting one last game in - he’s not allowed to play Xbox when he’s babysitting his sister and my wife and I were just about to leave for the night. He’s got dozens of top 2-5 finishes but never won a game. I think he’s probably played 500 or so Battle Royale solo games. He needed a solo win to get the next level of something or other so was totally dialed in. When he got down to the last 4 it was intense. I had to stop what I was doing and watch. When he killed the last guy we celebrated like crazy. It was pretty fun honestly. The cool thing is you can watch a reply using a “drone” camera and re- play the whole thing from different perspectives. The last guy left had a huge advantage but just made a really dumb mistake to give my son the chance to win. It was pretty cool, but I can’t help thinking I’d love to see him channel that energy and enthusiasm into something a little more ... meaningful in life, I guess.  

Played on the PC for the first time today. Six games, 1 kill total, highest finish 9th (because I played like an absolute wuss...also where I got the one kill), lowest finish 89th.

I'm so, so bad at this.

I take it there is no tutorial mode or anything?  I'd like to be able to go into a freeplay mode to at least practice building stuff.

I take it there is no tutorial mode or anything?  I'd like to be able to go into a freeplay mode to at least practice building stuff.
Nope. Just straight in and play. That probably was part of my issue because, besides figuring out the shooting mechanics, I also have to learn how to build on the fly. Not easy when you're just started out and playing against seasoned tweens with those fast reflexes.

I've watched a few Twitch/YouTube videos, so I was at least familiar with finding chests, getting resources, etc.

I just started last week, and man this game is addicting.  I play conservatively and finish in the Top 10 more than 25% of the time, but I can't build and fight at the same time so I'm gonna have to get really lucky to win. Watching some of these guys during the endgame, it's just mind-boggling how they can do that.

This may be common sense to everyone that plays significantly, but to any other noobs, my kid just told me I should always put the same equipment in the same slots of my inventory so I can pull them up by muscle memory, and not have to look for them each time.

Does anyone play on their phone or tablet? I like playing the game, usually with my son laughing at me in the background, but since the PS4 is in his room, he commands most of the time on it. Plus I can play it when I travel!

I play on PS4 and the game just makes me feel old and slow. 

I watch a ton of the videos and the guys building and shooting just bullseyes are amazing.

I have killed myself like three times with the rocket pack. i got a couple kills the other night and finished top three-so that was huge for me. 

My claim to fame is being the llama whisperer. I had three games in a row where they just appeared right where I landed. I think someone just felt sorry for me.

My favorite strategy is to locate where I think the center of the storm eye will be. I find the most crappy house there. I then proceed to hollow out the inside of the house and build like a little safe room. Then I wait and of course ultimately die.

lol.. unfortunately to win you need to be aggressive.

however there will be a few lucky times you can passively win by hiding in a tree or a bush

I play on PS4. Can’t build to save my life but somehow have a win. Decent shooter, just have to learn building. 

SSlayton320 on PS4 

My buddies 11 year old is just ridiculously good at this. We play squads and I'm basically just a meat shield for him.

I feel like I could learn one half of this game.  But the building thing and the speed that they go through the building screens?  No chance I'll ever be able to do that.

I play on PS4. Can’t build to save my life but somehow have a win. Decent shooter, just have to learn building. 

SSlayton320 on PS4 
I just started playing a month ago and am still learning. Will add you later

I'm fake15 on PS4 if anyone wants to team up.

Can somebody help a newbie out, which game console do I need to buy to play this?  How do you set it up etc?

TIA

Can somebody help a newbie out, which game console do I need to buy to play this?  How do you set it up etc?

TIA
XBOX One, PS4, or PC

No set up instructions, just install from the respective store (free) if on console. On PC you will download it directly from epicgames.com (free).

XBOX One, PS4, or PC

No set up instructions, just install from the respective store (free) if on console. On PC you will download it directly from epicgames.com (free).
how do you handle controls on PC?

Users who are viewing this thread