What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Four + Teams Interested in Simms (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
At least four teams are interested in Chris Simms this offseason as a restricted free agent, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports.

Simms' stock is certainly up in Tampa and around the league. The Lions, Jets, and Dolphins were three teams that could go after Simms. Look for Tampa to place the highest tender on Simms in an effort to keep him. Jan. 8 - 12:11 pm et

IMO, this solidifies Simms job as a starting QB...

I am still not sold on Simms. In big games he always throws untimely picks and makes bad decisions. Trust me, as a Texas fan, I have seen him do it time and time again in a big game. Every year Texas has one of the top three recruiting classes and a ton of talent, yet we never won the big one until Simms was gone. I honestly don't think Gruden likes Simms for one reason or another. He has made so many efforts to have someone else start instead of him. He brings in Griese, trades for Rattay...etc. I just get the feeling Gruden doesn't like him. Granted, he is better than the Lions, Jets and Dolphins QB.

I'm not too excited about him. So far he hasn't demonstrated the ability to be a quality starting NFL QB. In fact he trouble doing that in college at times. Seems not much has changed.

I'm not too excited about him. So far he hasn't demonstrated the ability to be a quality starting NFL QB. In fact he trouble doing that in college at times. Seems not much has changed.
My point exactly. I still hate the guy because he was "Given" the starting job at Texas over a far better QB (Major Applewhite) just because of his last name. He cost us the game against Oklahoma once and was a major contributor to a loss two other times.

I'm not excited about Simms, either. And being a Lions fan, I PRAY they don't go after him...

I'm not excited about Simms, either. And being a Lions fan, I PRAY they don't go after him...
I suspect they'll go after Griese before Simms. They courted him last year too.

I'm not excited about Simms, either.  And being a Lions fan, I PRAY they don't go after him...
I suspect they'll go after Griese before Simms. They courted him last year too.
I think this applies to TB as well. TB will tender him at the highest level (he should be a capable back up) and then try to get Griese to stay with a reworked contract. I cançt see how Rattay fits in though.

Why doesn't anyone watch football games anymore? Simms was great for the Bucs. the Stat Line wasn't amazing, but that's because he had a terrible OL that constantly let the DL get their hands up.When a ball is tipped, 9 times out of 10 it is the O-lineman's fault... I'd say at least half (probably more) of Simms' interceptions have been tipped balls at the LOS this year.You'll see this INT problem mysteriously go away next year when the Bucs solve their tackle problem.And, am I correct or incorrect that Simms led a great drive all the way down the field and threw a game-tying TD pass, his 5th comeback of the year? (And the receiver, Edell Shepherd, clearly was at fault for any misfire)...Get off his nuts. Everybody thinks Simms and Eli Manning should be the second comings of Jesus Christ and Siddhartha Gautama. Let them develop first..

Last edited:
Why doesn't anyone watch football games anymore? Simms was great for the Bucs. the Stat Line wasn't amazing, but that's because he had a terrible OL that constantly let the DL get their hands up.

When a ball is tipped, 9 times out of 10 it is the O-lineman's fault... I'd say at least half (probably more) of Simms' interceptions have been tipped balls at the LOS this year.

You'll see this INT problem mysteriously go away next year when the Bucs solve their tackle problem.

And, am I correct or incorrect that Simms led a great drive all the way down the field and threw a game-tying TD pass, his 5th comeback of the year? (And the receiver, Edell Shepherd, clearly was at fault for any misfire)...

Get off his nuts. Everybody thinks Simms and Eli Manning should be the second comings of Jesus Christ and Siddhartha Gautama. Let them develop first..
:goodposting: especially the bolded part.

also, :lmao: at talking about what he did at Texas. That's in the past, the kid showed this year numerous times he has what it takes to win games in the 4th.

You'll see this INT problem mysteriously go away next year when the Bucs solve their tackle problem.
Good luck with that. He had the same problem at Texas, and he didn't have a tackle problem there.

Good luck with that. He had the same problem at Texas, and he didn't have a tackle problem there.
Seriously...watch some football. Both his picks yesterday were off tipped passes, as were many others during the year.

Simms will remain a Buc IMO. Ramsey, A.Brooks, Harrington, Garcia, and one of Griese/Rattay will be changing squads in all likelihood. Though they'd be in greater demand, Carr, Rivers, and Schaub will all remain on their current rosters.

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I believe if the Bucs tender him (and they will) then it would take a 1st and a 3rd-rd pick for another team to sign him.No way that happens.

Seriously...watch some football. Both his picks yesterday were off tipped passes, as were many others during the year.
I have watched him, and he still gets the same deer in the headlights look he always has. I think he'll still have interception problems, no matter who he plays for. But hey, you're welcome to him. Who's Tampa playing next week?

I have watched him, and he still gets the same deer in the headlights look he always has. I think he'll still have interception problems, no matter who he plays for. But hey, you're welcome to him. Who's Tampa playing next week?
The same team the Texans are playing.He led four 4th-quarter comebacks in his 10 starts this year, and it would've been five yesterday if Sheppard catches that beautiful pass.

Not sure how that qualifies as "deer in the headlights", but I'm sure you've seen all of his games this year. No need to provide any facts or anything to back up your claims, I trust your evaluation. :thumbup:

Agreed, better to have tipped pass INT's then flat out bad reads or ugly passes, but tipped balls are as much or more the QB's fault then the tackles. Especially in yesterday's game. If a QB consistently has a problem with tipped balls, and Simms has/does, it is because he is either not throwing through the clear passing lane (step up in the pocket to make a lane, if needed) or releasing the ball too flat/low allowing DL to tip the ball. The tackle may have some responsibility, especially if the DL backs him up in the QBs face, but I recall specifically in Simms final tipped INT, that was not the case. He simply tried to throw the ball right by the DL, and the DL was able to get a hand up. Simms should have found a better lane to release the ball or throw it right over the DL's head. It was an easy tip for the DL.

I trust your evaluation. :thumbup:
Good deal. Like I said, you're welcome to him.

This is why we need better stat categories for QBs.There are different kinds of incompletions ( bad pass, dropped by WR, spike, throw away) and different kinds of INTs (bad pass, tipped ball, great def play).

I am still not sold on Simms. In big games he always throws untimely picks and makes bad decisions. Trust me, as a Texas fan, I have seen him do it time and time again in a big game. Every year Texas has one of the top three recruiting classes and a ton of talent, yet we never won the big one until Simms was gone.

I honestly don't think Gruden likes Simms for one reason or another. He has made so many efforts to have someone else start instead of him. He brings in Griese, trades for Rattay...etc. I just get the feeling Gruden doesn't like him. Granted, he is better than the Lions, Jets and Dolphins QB.
Is this 2001????Dude. Get with todays game will ya? The Kid is pretty good, and can be even better if the Bucs can solidify that Oline.

Some people just don't get it.

I trust your evaluation. :thumbup:
Good deal. Like I said, you're welcome to him.
And we will take him with a 11-5 record and 4 (almost 5) come from behind wins... in the NFL not college. :thumbup:

There were 2 QB's this year that really impressed me with their ability to throw the deep pass. One was Carson Palmer and the other was Simms. That throw he made yesterday was one of the prettiest most accurate deep passes I have ever seen when the game was on the line. If Sheppard doesn't drop it, the Bucs probably win that game and Simms is a hero. Simms improved a great deal this year. This is not the same QB that played for the Longhorns. He has proven himself to be a quality NFL starter.

Users who are viewing this thread