What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frankfurt Germany Trip - Need Advice (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
We are going with a big group of adults to watch the NFL game in November.

My first question is which location is best to stay at. Close to train station for day trips? City center?

Thanks!

Kreuzberg monastery is awesome. The best bier, ever. It's like a 2-hour drive from Frankfurt, though, and you will definitely not want to drive after. Those biers hit like a ton of bricks, especially at altitude.

It's been years and years since I was stationed there, but the Sachsenhausen area of Frankfurt was a great place to visit, as a young man. They have a Fuessgaenger Zone- an area that's blocked off to cars, pedestrians only, that is jam-packed with good restaurants, bars, wine rooms. It could definitely get a little rowdy back in the day, so I don't know if that's your speed, or not. Public transport is great in the city, too. Buses and U-bahn stops everywhere.

My first question is which location is best to stay at. Close to train station for day trips? City center?

Thanks!

I do not know what level of hotels you are looking at, so cannot suggest anything, both times I've been to Frankfurt I've stayed in relative budget options. It's not an enormous city anyway and incredibly well connected within the city itself, so I wouldn't worry about location especially.

You mention day trips - Cologne is doable. Mainz is closer and only 30-40 minutes on the S-Bahn, didn't have a great deal of time to explore when I watched FSV there but it seems decent, all depending on what the interests of your group are.

Naiv is my go to beer joint if it is still open post-grand cold

It's been years and years since I was stationed there, but the Sachsenhausen area of Frankfurt was a great place to visit, as a young man.
where were you? A close HS friend was stationed in Hanau. I was able to see him twice while he was over there.
I was stationed in WIldflecken at first. Tiny, tiny little hamlet, but right at the foot of the Kreuzberg. Then we moved to Mainz for the last year of my time there. After I got out, I worked for a computer company in Wiesbaden. This is going back to the early 90s.

Would also say in terms of the game, which I understand to be at Eintracht's ground, it is an absolute piece of piss to get to from anywhere in the city

Kreuzberg monastery is awesome. The best bier, ever. It's like a 2-hour drive from Frankfurt, though, and you will definitely not want to drive after. Those biers hit like a ton of bricks, especially at altitude.

It's been years and years since I was stationed there, but the Sachsenhausen area of Frankfurt was a great place to visit, as a young man. They have a Fuessgaenger Zone- an area that's blocked off to cars, pedestrians only, that is jam-packed with good restaurants, bars, wine rooms. It could definitely get a little rowdy back in the day, so I don't know if that's your speed, or not. Public transport is great in the city, too. Buses and U-bahn stops everywhere.

Thanks!

I do not know what level of hotels you are looking at, so cannot suggest anything, both times I've been to Frankfurt I've stayed in relative budget options. It's not an enormous city anyway and incredibly well connected within the city itself, so I wouldn't worry about location especially.

You mention day trips - Cologne is doable. Mainz is closer and only 30-40 minutes on the S-Bahn, didn't have a great deal of time to explore when I watched FSV there but it seems decent, all depending on what the interests of your group are.

Naiv is my go to beer joint if it is still open post-grand cold
@TripItUp

We had a car one of the trips and access to one for the other... and we were cautious with our drinking

Thanks!

Close to the train station is really dodgy. I would not stay in that area.

Thanks!

Can't say I found the area around the Hbf any more questionable than any area I've been anywhere as a tourist, both times I've stayed in Frankfurt I've used hotels within a couple of minutes walk of it with no issues. Not the nicest area in town for sure, but can't say I felt even slightly unsafe

Thanks!

Can't say I found the area around the Hbf any more questionable than any area I've been anywhere as a tourist, both times I've stayed in Frankfurt I've used hotels within a couple of minutes walk of it with no issues. Not the nicest area in town for sure, but can't say I felt even slightly unsafe

Everyone perceives things differently, I guess. I've been to many places, and I'd have to say the area around the Hbf in Frankfurt had me feeling pretty uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread