What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fred Cox: Vikings kicker and Inventor of Nerf Football dies at 80 (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
I grew up watching him kick.  I thought he was 80 in the early 70s.  Rest in peace Mr. Cox.

"

Kicker Fred Cox, the Minnesota Vikings' all-time leading scorer and the inventor of the Nerf football, died Wednesday at the age of 80, the team announced.

Cox never missed a game in 15 seasons for the Vikings from 1963-77. He finished his career with 1,365 points and led the Vikings in scoring for 11 consecutive seasons. In addition to winning the final NFL Championship Game in 1969, he also went to four Super Bowls with the Vikings -- all losses.

When he retired, he was second in NFL history in scoring behind George Blanda -- who also played quarterback -- and had made 282 field goals.

"The Vikings mourn the loss of Fred Cox, one of our proudest legends and a member of the 50 Greatest Vikings," the team said in a statement. "A respected teammate and friend, Fred's football career as the Vikings all-time leading scorer set the stage for a life where he went on to achieve great things in business and in his community. Fred's positive energy, strength in his faith and passion for life will be missed."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28132640/ex-vikings-kicker-fred-cox-inventor-nerf-football-dies-80

Last edited by a moderator:
Barely remember him as a kicker, but we certainly burned through a ton of Nerf Footballs!

RIP Fred, and thank you.

I remember his as a kicker, but did not know he invented the nerf football.  The nerf football was huge part of my childhood -- thank you Fred and RIP!

Users who are viewing this thread