What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

From Fat to Fit 2024 - New Year New Goals! (4 Viewers)

Thanks @Corporation for starting this thread. It's been a great reminder daily for me to do better in terms of my health. I don't have a lot to lose (about 10 pounds), but it's lazy weight and beer weight.

I've been better the last few weeks and down 3 pounds already thanks to you starting this thread. And also others doing good things in here. Keep it up every one. You'll feel better, look better, and be happier for sure.

Nice work all. :thumbup:

Well, I weighed in today. Haven’t gone too far backwards, still down 1.2 lbs from starting weight. But also a very stark reminder of why I need to track calories in the MFP app every day. Without that accountability I simply make bad food decisions (which is almost always worse when traveling for work).

Back at it starting today.
No change since this post. Stayed true to my caloric intake goals the past two days. Dan 4.5 miles on Friday and walked 6. Walked another 8 miles yesterday.

Really need to put a hard limit on eating food after 8pm. That’s when I’m most likely to ignore the calorie goal and give in to temptation (with food).

Hi everyone, my name is SayWhat? and I have issues. I’d love to join your meetings. Similar to @SFBayDuck , I’ve fallen off the wagon a bit since the middle of 2021. An injury to my wife has thrown life into a bit of a tailspin, and I’ve done an extremely poor job of dedicating even the smallest amount of time toward taking care of myself. As a result, I’ve gone from an ideal weight of 175-180 to a career high of 205.

I don’t feel good about it, mentally or physically, and I’m ready to make a change. Time to get serious about this. I need to stop stress eating, and get my *** out and exercise far more frequently. Also going to start trying to do 10-15 minutes of strength training daily to get into a groove.

Short term goals are 192 by the end of July and 184 by the end of September. From there, just a continual focus on making good lifestyle choices to keep trimming away fat and living healthier.

Thank you for your consideration.

Hi everyone, my name is SayWhat? and I have issues. I’d love to join your meetings. Similar to @SFBayDuck , I’ve fallen off the wagon a bit since the middle of 2021. An injury to my wife has thrown life into a bit of a tailspin, and I’ve done an extremely poor job of dedicating even the smallest amount of time toward taking care of myself. As a result, I’ve gone from an ideal weight of 175-180 to a career high of 205.

I don’t feel good about it, mentally or physically, and I’m ready to make a change. Time to get serious about this. I need to stop stress eating, and get my *** out and exercise far more frequently. Also going to start trying to do 10-15 minutes of strength training daily to get into a groove.

Short term goals are 192 by the end of July and 184 by the end of September. From there, just a continual focus on making good lifestyle choices to keep trimming away fat and living healthier.

Didn’t you run 100 miles? We need to take lessons from you, not the other way around

Didn’t you run 100 miles? We need to take lessons from you, not the other way around

He not only ran 100 miles (several times), he finished Western States in under 24 hours. He's a bad man.

Is this a new injury for your wife after that bad ankle injury she had before you did Western States?

We're on similar timelines SayWhat. I went from being in great shape, fell off toward the end of 2021 when life, injuries and a healthy dose of depression set in. Stopped working out, then came the stress eating and frequent fast food/Door Dashes. 2022 was just awful - went from 180 and before I knew it I was 215. I'm now at 205, gaining some momentum and lifting weights quite regularly. Goal is top shed 10-15 pounds of fat by the end of summer and back to 180 at year's end. The way I look at it is lugging around a 25lb dumbbell all day is no way to live life.

My best advice is just to keep moving. An object in motion, stays in motion. I also notice when I'm working out or just moving my mind is more sound and my body doesn't crave the junk. Good luck everyone!

Can't seem to break the 190 lb barrier.

Doing 10 miles of walking total per day till i get past (2-3 walks each day, oftentimes in 90 degree + heat)

Doing 10 miles of walking total per day till i get past (2-3 walks each day, oftentimes in 90 degree + heat)
For me at least, no amount of walking does anything for weight loss. It's all about cutting calories.
Ditto. It’s almost like the exercise doesn’t matter — a weird version where math (calories in vs calories out) no longer functions properly. If I keep my actual calories to about 1500-1600 / day, then I lose weight. If not, I stay flat or gain. This holds true for me regardless of blue much I exercise.

For me at least, no amount of walking does anything for weight loss. It's all about cutting calories.
Ditto. It’s almost like the exercise doesn’t matter — a weird version where math (calories in vs calories out) no longer functions properly. If I keep my actual calories to about 1500-1600 / day, then I lose weight. If not, I stay flat or gain. This holds true for me regardless of blue much I exercise.
You’re not going to burn much just going for a walk. Even a long one.

And, as you lose weight your body will naturally need an even greater calorie deficit or you’ll definitely plateau/gain.

I shouldn’t say you’ll need a greater deficit.. You’ll need to take in fewer calories or burn more as you lose weight to ensure it continues.

I'm took in 1800 calories a day last week. With exercise, 140 miles biking, 5 mile walk - 11.5 hours worth, my net calories came out to 750/day. That was good for -2.5lbs last week. A bit underwhelmed with that, but it's progress. 2.5 of 35lbs done.

From the start of the year I'm at -17lbs. That's very slow progress, but I figure now is the time to buckle down on training and diet while the weather is good for riding. Hoping at the least to keep up the general pace of last week and hit 2-3lbs/week.

This week probably not quite as many miles, but I'll get 100 in.

Last edited:
I'm taking in 1800 calories a day. With exercise (140 miles biking, 5 mile walk - 11.5 hours worth) my net calories came out to 750/day. That was good for -2.5lbs last week. A bit underwhelmed with that, but it's progress. 2.5 of 35lbs done.

From the start of the year I'm at -17lbs. That's very slow progress, but I figure now is the time to buckle down on training and diet while the weather is good for riding.

That sounds like awesome progress to me. Doctors say you should probably look to lose safely around 2 pounds a week. That is a lot of activity for 1800 calories a day so just make sure to take care of yourself. Last week in a workout I was way too calorie deficient and I really suffered throughout the workout. It sounds like you already know way more than I do about properly fueling for a lot of exercise. Keep it up!

Last week was a lesson on weight fluctuations. I felt like I really ate clean (well, made my calorie targets) yet my weight was up and down. I know it's about the long haul and there are momentary blips in the data but it is hard not to be disappointed at times. Overall, pleased that I was down almost a pound and a half for the week, which is pretty inline with "safe" weight loss targets.

DateWeightChg From StartWeekly LossAvg Calories/Daily Calories
May 15 Week219.4-7.11516
May 22 Week212.3-3.11686 (forgot to update this to weekly avg instead of the daily intake)
May 29 Week209.210.21.31407
May 30209.4101410 (edit for late night protein drink)
May 31209.89.61350
June 1208.610.81430
June 2208.710.71370
June 3209.010.41440
June 4208.710.71480
June 5207.911.5

Welcome aboard! As we get older, injuries can really derail us and it takes a lot of discipline to stay on track. For me it is accountability and these guys are awesome. And you are right, it is lifestyle choices that make it in the long run, not just a "crash diet" to get to a number.

The exercise is great and has many obvious benefits. One nutritionist told me though that "you can't outwork a bad diet". Hopefully you can find the right calorie intake level to hit your goal!

6'2" early mid 50s milestones 200, 195, 190, 185
5/15 201
5/19 200
5/22 200
5/23 199
5/25 197
5/27 196
6/5 195
Surprised myself ... didn't post but fluctuated a bunch last week. Thought I'd see 197/198... 195 brought a smile. Hoping to hit the next milestone before summer vacation. Staying true to plan.
You are killing it! I dealt with the same fluctuations last week and had no idea what the scale would say this morning. In fact, I weighed twice to make sure it was accurate :) Keep it up!

The annual I'm fat and pretend to try Otis memorial weigh-in

6/5 229.6. 😲 I knew a put on a few but eesh.

Woke up at 5:30 and did 15 minutes on elliptical. I absolutely hate it but need to start with something
Every journey starts with a small first step! Good bad or ugly, this is one of the reasons I weigh daily. When I let my self go for quite awhile, the number becomes jarring (my scale even said "please ensure the scale is accurate, there is a large discrepancy since last weighing". I really didn't need technology hammering me, but it was effective :)

Good luck and keep us posted (with good results or not so good, lot of people here to help)!

I'm taking in 1800 calories a day. With exercise (140 miles biking, 5 mile walk - 11.5 hours worth) my net calories came out to 750/day. That was good for -2.5lbs last week. A bit underwhelmed with that, but it's progress. 2.5 of 35lbs done.

From the start of the year I'm at -17lbs. That's very slow progress, but I figure now is the time to buckle down on training and diet while the weather is good for riding.

That sounds like awesome progress to me. Doctors say you should probably look to lose safely around 2 pounds a week. That is a lot of activity for 1800 calories a day so just make sure to take care of yourself. Last week in a workout I was way too calorie deficient and I really suffered throughout the workout. It sounds like you already know way more than I do about properly fueling for a lot of exercise. Keep it up!
Oh, I suffered on the last ride, but that was just due to the volume of the week. It's been a long time since I've done that big a week. :bag:

How tall are you guys? I’m 6’0 and 213. 190 seems impossible and at 180 I’d be razor thin. I haven’t been that light since college two a days.

Trying to get sub-200 by my 10 year wedding anniversary trip in August.

How tall are you guys? I’m 6’0 and 213. 190 seems impossible and at 180 I’d be razor thin. I haven’t been that light since college two a days.

Always measured 5’10” growing up but I think I shrunk to 5’9” over the years. When I was really going well a few years back I think I got to 158. And I still had some abdominal fat. I did get a lot of comments about looking too skinny. Need to add some muscle this time.

@The Gator won’t stop messaging me for more pics so I’ll post this one - think this was around 160. I’d probably have to get to 150 to start showing some abs.

Always measured 5’10” growing up but I think I shrunk to 5’9” over the years. When I was really going well a few years back I think I got to 158. And I still had some abdominal fat. I did get a lot of comments about looking too skinny. Need to add some muscle this time.
I’ve always weight trained so I like to think that’s why I’m heavier. The number on the scale is just a number. If I feel weak and don’t look strong/fit then what’s the point?

:flex:

I’ve always weight trained so I like to think that’s why I’m heavier. The number on the scale is just a number. If I feel weak and don’t look strong/fit then what’s the point?

:flex:

I’ve always been slight of frame - super skinny as a kid. I have some decent muscle but not a ton. I basically went from skinny and active to fat and sedentary.

I'm 5'5" so I have a very stocky build....

I'm actually 5'9 -5'10" pending on the doctor lol.....

When I graduated college I was about ~180 - 185 - I was a super fit 180 so if I get back down there I won't look the same lol

Are you guys lifting weights? I find the combo of walking and strength training to be a great combo for getting lean.

Are you guys lifting weights? I find the combo of walking and strength training to be a great combo for getting lean.

I'm not...

Thinking about getting a rowing machine.

All my weight to lose is in my core

I’m doing a combo of yoga 1x per week for core strength/flexibility, PT 1x per week for knee/quad pain, and the 100 push-up plan to build upper body strength.

I'm not...

Thinking about getting a rowing machine.

All my weight to lose is in my core
I’m trying to use mine more. I bought a ERG during Covid but just started using it more recently. It holds my iPad well and I watch a show and knock out 45 minutes at a time. I need to focus on my form more, but I think it is helping some.

Ok, so I have been on a health kick since February and I might as well add myself to this thread to help keep myself accountable. I am taking a bit of a different approach from most people in this thread as I have done the big diet thing a few times and was able to shed the pounds but would end up just putting them right back on quickly. When I looked up in the mirror begginning of the year I was at 210 lbs for my 5'11" frame, which I would describe as fairly average and had a really big gut.

Since then I have really tried to improve my fitness and improve my diet generally but I am not doing a crash course in calorie counting since while it works it just doesn't last. Real focus is on exercise and have gone from working out once or twice a week to working out at least 4 times a week. Anyone interested in working out more should join the FBG strava team - check in the 10k running thread if interested.

Of course exercise alone won't reduce weight so on the diet side, I have purposely cut my intake of beef, pork and even chicken and really tried to improve my intake of fruits and vegatables. My plate at dinner honestly looks like a ton of vegatables, a few carbs and small piece of protein. I have hard rule of no eating after 8 pm and have managed to stick to that with a few exceptions. I very rarely eat junk type food except for rare special occasion where I will do some chips or something like that at a party. I have also made a real effort to cut back alcohol (probably hardest part for me) and rarely have drink other than a special occasion.

So far this has been working for me and feels much more lasting. On my Monday weigh-in I was down to 194.5 (so have lost just over 15lbs). I am not seeing immediate fast results as some weeks I won't lose any weight or maybe put on a little but overtime it seems to be working well. My cardiovascular fitness is probably the best since I played HS soccer, which I think is a huge benefit. My end goal is to be 180 lbs and I am about halfway there at this point.

Last edited:

I’m doing a combo of yoga 1x per week for core strength/flexibility, PT 1x per week for knee/quad pain, and the 100 push-up plan to build upper body strength.

Calisthenics are really underrated. If you don't have gym access you can get some great results with them alone.

Ok, so I have been on a health kick since February and I might as well add myself to this thread to help keep myself accountable. I am taking a bit of a different approach from most people in this thread as I have done the big diet thing a few times and was able to shed the pounds but would end up just putting them right back on quickly. When I looked up in the mirror begginning of the year I was at 210 lbs for my 5'11" frame, which I would describe as fairly average and had a really big gut.

Since then I have really tried to improve my fitness and improve my diet generally but I am not doing a crash course in calorie counting since while it works it just doesn't last. Real focus is on exercise and have gone from working out once or twice a week to working out at least 4 times a week. Anyone interested in working out more should join the FBG strava team - check in the 10k running thread if interested.

Of course exercise alone won't reduce weight so on the diet side, I have purposely cut my intake of beef, pork and even chicken and really tried to improve my intake of fruits and vegatables. My plate at dinner honestly looks like a ton of vegatables, a few carbs and small piece of protein. I have hard rule of no eating after 8 pm and have managed to stick to that with a few exceptions. I very rarely eat junk type food except for rare special occasion where I will do some chips or something like that at a party. I have also made a real effort to cut back alcohol (probably hardest part for me) and rarely have drink other than a special occasion.

So far this has been working for me and feels much more lasting. On my Monday weigh-in I was down to 194.5 (so have lost just over 15lbs). I am not seeing immediate fast results as some weeks I won't lose any weight or maybe put on a little but overtime it seems to be working well. My cardiovascular fitness is probably the best since I played HS soccer, which I think is a huge benefit. My end goal is to be 180 lbs and I am about halfway there at this point.
This is awesome. And to your point, it seems more sustainable (certainly compared to what I’m doing)! Hard truth for me is that I ultimately need to pivot to your approach to make the life changes that will make this all long-term viable. But I haven’t accepted that fully yet! ;)

Calisthenics are really underrated. If you don't have gym access you can get some great results with them alone.
Yeah, I play pickup b-ball with a guy who jumps rope in between our 1-on-1 games. He’s in ridiculous shape.

This is awesome. And to your point, it seems more sustainable (certainly compared to what I’m doing)! Hard truth for me is that I ultimately need to pivot to your approach to make the life changes that will make this all long-term viable. But I haven’t accepted that fully yet! ;)

I am actually enjoying being in better shape. Have been trying to sign up for actual events so I have a goal. Ran a 5k race in May and have another one signed up for August and will likely pick a 10k race after I do the August race. Having something on the calender to focus on has helped on that front vs. just heading to the gym or for a bike ride once a week, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread