What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

From Fat to Fit 2024 - New Year New Goals! (1 Viewer)

Now to try the impossible and lose weight on vacation. How? I plan to continue with IF, zero beverage calories outside alcohol, no or limited sweets and pescatarian diet for the most part with lots of seasonal fruits.
100%.

Drink a lot of water, don't get thirsty, and start thinking you are hungry.

I eat light on vacation, I never really understood gorging while on vacation.

Just got home last night from 4 days on the road for work. Kept my gameplan going mostly, but had one bad day. Back at it the past two days. Will weigh in tomorrow…..
Weighed in this morning. Now down 2.9 lbs despite the work travel this past week. I’m being really disciplined at home — consistently tracking food intake, getting a lot of exercise, etc. Hoping to lose 1 lb per week until a family trip in late July. That should put me very close to target weight by departure date.

Next step for me after a nudge from a few in here is to ramp up my push-ups and yoga, plus pivoting to healthier food choices. More “real food” (aka non-processed) - fruit, veggie, eggs, nuts, fish - and less of the processed junk my body still craves. That’s the real long-term win for me is shifting away from junk and toward real food. If my body wouldn’t have recognized something as food 1,000 years ago, then I probably shouldn’t eat it now. Will I still eat a donut or cookie at times? Yep. But moderation is my friend.

I used this for a while and thought it worked well. I may start with it again to support my fat to fit journey.
https://cronometer.com/
What did you find helpful about it? Have you used similar apps, and if so, how did it compare?
I had only used myfitnesspal before. Don't really remember much about that one.
About the time I started with cronometer I was looking to practice a more keto based diet and cronometer had an option for predetermined keto target values which could be tweaked as desired. Other than that it probably works like most food tracking apps.

Made some improvements a couple years ago, but fell off the wagon and gave back those improvements. Now I'm kinda, sorta, committed to maybe getting fitter this year. Decided to take a snapshot this morning 5/21/2023, no prep or warm up. Measuring 3 things:
  • Weight - 272
  • Blood Glucose - 132
  • Max Push ups - 8
Goals (no exact timeline, but 2023):
  • Weight - <220
  • Blood Glucose - <110
  • Max Push ups - >20
Planning on:
  • 16 hour fast, at least 4 days a week
  • 20-24 hour fast 1 day a week
  • Reduce processed carbs significantly
  • Add exercise / physical activity (TBD, I have some limitations due to injuries & arthritis)
GL to all of you
So june 11.
Didn't stick to my diet plan very well. Still, improvements in 2 of 3 metrics. Obviously it's just a snapshot. Time will tell.
  • Weight - 270
  • Blood Glucose - 142
  • Max Push ups - 13
Hey that is progress. The diet is probably 80% of weight loss with exercise 20%. It's just hard to outwork a heavy diet.

Not sure I’ll hit the 180’s before I’m on vacation but 190.2 was close enough I think - will see where I’m at tomorrow morning before I go but I’m not super motivated to skip drinking on a Friday night before the beach

Somehow I did it - first day of vacation and was 189.8 this morning.

Now to try the impossible and lose weight on vacation. How? I plan to continue with IF, zero beverage calories outside alcohol, no or limited sweets and pescatarian diet for the most part with lots of seasonal fruits.
CONGRATS! Awesome news! Good luck on the vacay diet. If you backslide a little, don't sweat it and just get back track on home. No reason to "mess up" a vacation.

Well I managed to drop some this morning, but had a mission trip practice and "had" to eat a sandwich. I'm not watching carbs but the Jimmy Johns felt a little heavy. Overall I think I kept it to about 1700 calories so not bad. I bet I'll see a move up Monday though.

DateWeightChg From StartWeekly LossAvg Calories/Daily Calories
May 15 Week219.4-7.11516
May 22 Week212.3-3.11686 (forgot to update this to weekly avg instead of the daily intake)
May 29 Week209.210.21.31407
June 5207.911.51440
June 6207.611.81440
June 7208.211.21510
June 8207.611.81640
June 9206.313.12300
June 10207.212.21270
June 11206.712.71700

My anniversary was Saturday. It was not a good week but I did run about 10 miles last week and got in a workout today. Weight loss will come but also working on regaining fitness and strength. It was a good start even if I ingested far too many calories last week.

Last week 1020 net calories/day. Result was -1.5lb for the week (19lb. for the year). Got hosed down on a couple rides and hope that this week goes better. Having my main bike in the shop sucks and really limits my options.
Great job!

My anniversary was Saturday. It was not a good week but I did run about 10 miles last week and got in a workout today. Weight loss will come but also working on regaining fitness and strength. It was a good start even if I ingested far too many calories last week.
That's a good plan. I tend to try to get to the weight where I want to be, then ramp up strength knowing I'll need more calories for it.

As expected I was a touch up, but still down overall for the week, albeit not much.

May 15 Week219.4-7.11516
May 22 Week212.3-3.11686
June 5 Week207.911.50.91614
June 6207.611.81440
June 7208.211.21510
June 8207.611.81640
June 9206.313.12300
June 10207.212.21270
June 11206.712.71700
June 12207.012.4

Made some improvements a couple years ago, but fell off the wagon and gave back those improvements. Now I'm kinda, sorta, committed to maybe getting fitter this year. Decided to take a snapshot this morning 5/21/2023, no prep or warm up. Measuring 3 things:
  • Weight - 272
  • Blood Glucose - 132
  • Max Push ups - 8
  • Weight - <220
  • Blood Glucose - <110
  • Max Push ups - >20
Planning on:
  • Add exercise / physical activity (TBD, I have some limitations due to injuries & arthritis)
GL to all of you
So june 11.
Didn't stick to my diet plan very well. Still, improvements in 2 of 3 metrics. Obviously it's just a snapshot. Time will tell.
  • Weight - 270
  • Blood Glucose - 142
  • Max Push ups - 13
How are you measuring glucose?

I used this for a while and thought it worked well. I may start with it again to support my fat to fit journey.
https://cronometer.com/
What did you find helpful about it? Have you used similar apps, and if so, how did it compare?
I had only used myfitnesspal before. Don't really remember much about that one.
About the time I started with cronometer I was looking to practice a more keto based diet and cronometer had an option for predetermined keto target values which could be tweaked as desired. Other than that it probably works like most food tracking apps.
Trying it out today. I had been using the Noom app; I like that they give you green/yellow/orange categories for your food, although that's somewhat arbitrary. On the other hand, Noom is mobile only, whereas with Cronometer I can enter on any type of device. I also like that I can get historical reports; I think it's helpful to see how your calories fluctuate over time, sometimes when you don't even realize it

I'll try for a few days and see how I like it. Thanks for the tip!

• Weight - 272
  • Blood Glucose - 132
  • Max Push ups - 8
  • Weight - <220
  • Blood Glucose - <110
  • Max Push ups - >20
Planning on:
GL to all of you
So june 11.
  • Weight - 270
  • Blood Glucose - 142
  • Max Push ups - 13
Using a prick your finger type kit. It's not that big a deal to me as I'm confident that correcting my diet will get me where I need to be (done it before).
Also, had blood drawn for major bloodwork analysis. I'll see my A1C when the results come in.

• Weight - 272
  • Blood Glucose - 132
  • Max Push ups - 8
  • Weight - <220
  • Blood Glucose - <110
  • Max Push ups - >20
Planning on:
GL to all of you
So june 11.
  • Weight - 270
  • Blood Glucose - 142
  • Max Push ups - 13
Using a prick your finger type kit. It's not that big a deal to me as I'm confident that correcting my diet will get me where I need to be (done it before).
Also, had blood drawn for major bloodwork analysis. I'll see my A1C when the results come in.
measuring glucose if you aren't doing the exact same routine (meal and timing) is always chaotic.

type 2 diabetic with last A1C 6.3.

Ok, so I have been on a health kick since February and I might as well add myself to this thread to help keep myself accountable. I am taking a bit of a different approach from most people in this thread as I have done the big diet thing a few times and was able to shed the pounds but would end up just putting them right back on quickly. When I looked up in the mirror begginning of the year I was at 210 lbs for my 5'11" frame, which I would describe as fairly average and had a really big gut.

Since then I have really tried to improve my fitness and improve my diet generally but I am not doing a crash course in calorie counting since while it works it just doesn't last. Real focus is on exercise and have gone from working out once or twice a week to working out at least 4 times a week. Anyone interested in working out more should join the FBG strava team - check in the 10k running thread if interested.

Of course exercise alone won't reduce weight so on the diet side, I have purposely cut my intake of beef, pork and even chicken and really tried to improve my intake of fruits and vegatables. My plate at dinner honestly looks like a ton of vegatables, a few carbs and small piece of protein. I have hard rule of no eating after 8 pm and have managed to stick to that with a few exceptions. I very rarely eat junk type food except for rare special occasion where I will do some chips or something like that at a party. I have also made a real effort to cut back alcohol (probably hardest part for me) and rarely have drink other than a special occasion.

So far this has been working for me and feels much more lasting. On my Monday weigh-in I was down to 194.5 (so have lost just over 15lbs). I am not seeing immediate fast results as some weeks I won't lose any weight or maybe put on a little but overtime it seems to be working well. My cardiovascular fitness is probably the best since I played HS soccer, which I think is a huge benefit. My end goal is to be 180 lbs and I am about halfway there at this point.

Ok so forgot to post my update on weigh-in day, which I do Monday mornings. I try to stay off the scales on a daily basis given it can really move day to day. I lost another 1/2 lb so total weight loss at 16lbs since the start of my journey. I am really happy with this week as it was a tough one as I had my monthly guys dinner where a whole roasted pig was on the menu and a Flaming Lips concerts where I did pre-dinner and drinks. Both events involved pretty heavy drinking and lots of food on the guys dinner. Also, tie in with smoky armageddon in NYC last week and my work-outs were down. I did really focus this weekend but still pretty surprised I shed some weight given the two events where I didn't really hold back.

I've been going to the gym with my son 2-3x a week for the past 3 months. I've lost only 5 lbs, but did 3 sets of 10 with 80 lb dumbbell press on Monday.
Solid. I do 70lb dumbbell press, but I saw a TikTok that recommended doing one side at a time. Supposedly bumps up the difficulty because you have to stabilize your core to maintain balance, so that’s what I’ve been doing.

I'll start now
Ok been having a better week. Didn't weigh myself but slowly making some diet changes. Got in a 2 mile walk yesterday. Baby steps for I do not want to mess my back up again.

Ate way too many almonds yesterday though
How serious is your stretching regimen?
Some of my workouts are 30 minutes of just stretching. I'm waiting for a second opinion but the first doctor thinks I have SI joint inflammation and I it's flaring up a lot so that's why sometimes Even if I do all the stretching and stuff it makes it worse if it's inflamed and you exert it. So when the inflammation's down I feel better. So I'm kind of playing a cat and mouse game

I've been going to the gym with my son 2-3x a week for the past 3 months. I've lost only 5 lbs, but did 3 sets of 10 with 80 lb dumbbell press on Monday.
Solid. I do 70lb dumbbell press, but I saw a TikTok that recommended doing one side at a time. Supposedly bumps up the difficulty because you have to stabilize your core to maintain balance, so that’s what I’ve been doing.

Yep. I alternate, one arm, then the other then the common simultaneous movement.

I'll have to try that. Considering i haven't lifted on 20 years I was happy.... till i woke up and couldn't move my arms.

As expected, I really am finding this impossible even though I feel like I'm doing a good job. I've done everything pretty well but ate two fairly big dinners. I'm not too worried about it but the flaw in my plan is while I'm getting some workouts in but then lots of sitting. I'm also retaining water like crazy.

Actually working from the beach house today so hoping to get more water in and eat less and get a couple of shorts walk.

Keep it up guys!

As expected, I really am finding this impossible even though I feel like I'm doing a good job. I've done everything pretty well but ate two fairly big dinners. I'm not too worried about it but the flaw in my plan is while I'm getting some workouts in but then lots of sitting. I'm also retaining water like crazy.

Actually working from the beach house today so hoping to get more water in and eat less and get a couple of shorts walk.

Keep it up guys!
Go do some wind sprints in the sand. I always pay for my "extras" on vacation with morning runs.

Keep it up guys!
Go do some wind sprints in the sand. I always pay for my "extras" on vacation with morning runs.

I ran 5 miles a couple days ago and been doing lots of walking and swimming. Problem there becomes the extra working out brings on hunger - delicate balance.

Right @ my next goal weight of 190. for no good reason

I was out-of-town visiting friends and family for 4 days

Wayyy less exercise. slightly less calorie intake

Mysteriously happy

@ 187.5 lbs this AM

Think I've established a new (temporary) base

Getting ready to ride a bike for the first time in 30 years

Pray for me

8.2 miles down

one not-so-big hill got me and had to stop pedaling

Gotta shift better/at the right times

Last edited:
Missed posting yesterday, it was a surprising result. Down to 205.0. Had a catered lunch and ate more than I wanted and it bit me. Back up to 206.2. Will be heading out on Monday for the Mission Trip so I'm going to have to work hard not to lose the plot.

May 15 Week219.4-7.11516
May 22 Week212.37.13.11686
June 5 Week207.911.50.91614
June 12207.012.41270
June 13205.713.71270
June 14205.014.41800
June 15206.213.2

Last edited:
Was thinking about all the advancements we're seeing in AI. Given that one of the biggest hurdles to generating solid nutrition science is that it's super hard to accurately measure what people are eating, it seems like someone should be able to invent a service where you take pictures of your food, maybe include a brief description, and the AI can build your food diary and recommend changes

Finally broke below 190 for the first time in 40 years. Sad that it took a heart attack in December to get me to make my health a priority.
Glad that you are taking this step. It takes what it takes — it took my father having a heart attack 12 years ago for me to start running and to lose ~25 lbs. (I’m not tall, so that’s a lot of weight for me)

This is a great group for support in getting healthier - whatever your goals are!!

Just weighed in this morning. Down 3.1 lbs from baseline, but also realized I’m down about 5.5 lbs from my most recent peak back in late winter. Need to remind myself of steady progress over time, not just day to day. Especially weeks when I have work travel — if I can make modest progress on travel weeks, and stronger progress other weeks, that’s a good outcome.

I need to get better about committing to my plan to also build strength and flexibility. Haven’t been consistent about doing 100-125 push ups 3-4x per week. Gotta be more disciplined. Have been doing yoga 1-2x per week, which is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread