What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Future Of The Forum - And Big Thought On The Specific Problem (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Joe is missing a great opportunity. 

Welcome to politicsguys.com! We have the best projections and analysis of your upcoming elections available! Listen to our weekly podcast, The Fireside, complete with analysis of the last weeks talking points and what points to pick up for the next week. Up to date gerrymandered maps are available from several of our experts! Whatever the settings of your democracy, you can use our election dominator software to customize cheatsheets to your government in real time as the election happens! Be the guy that finds the sleeper comptroller in your local district! 
Screw it, I'm all in on a @Joe Bryant politics podcast. He can co-host with Dodds. They can be the PTI of politics. It'll be 🔥

I’m just now trying to make my way through the impeachment thread.  It’s important to current events.

Yet, I’m caught up in a billion posts about trump’s kids?  WTF really?   You’re part of the problem if you’re posting on any side of that.  Doesn’t matter if you were lured in by someone who is trying to shut down the forum by deflecting:  YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Don’t be the problem.  Don’t take bait.  Don’t be the problem.

Sheesh.

I’m just now trying to make my way through the impeachment thread.  It’s important to current events.

Yet, I’m caught up in a billion posts about trump’s kids?  WTF really?   You’re part of the problem if you’re posting on any side of that.  Doesn’t matter if you were lured in by someone who is trying to shut down the forum by deflecting:  YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Sheesh.
Fair.  Point taken.  

Sheesh.

If I had a grand for every time I was told "don't be the problem" I could buy  Microsoft.

I think Joe is missing a great opportunity. 

Welcome to politicsguys.com! We have the best projections and analysis of your upcoming elections available! Listen to our weekly podcast, The Fireside, complete with analysis of the last weeks talking points and what points to pick up for the next week. Up to date gerrymandered maps are available from several of our experts! Whatever the settings of your democracy, you can use our election dominator software to customize cheatsheets to your government in real time as the election happens! Be the guy that finds the sleeper comptroller in your local district! 
Should be a charge for this service, 20,00 membership?

Sheesh.
Respectfully disagree.  

Once upon a time “trolls” could be ignored and written off.  Now they have their own news outlets, seats in Congress, and vote in [censorsed due to the Edict] candidates.  

IMO, staying silent/ignoring doesn’t do anything.  Yeah, certain people feed off of the attention but they’re a reflection of a certain segment of the voting populace.  

Everybody is free to be themselves. Me?  I’m calling these folks at every turn. 

Respectfully disagree.  

Once upon a time “trolls” could be ignored and written off.  Now they have their own news outlets, seats in Congress, and vote in [censorsed due to the Edict] candidates.  

IMO, staying silent/ignoring doesn’t do anything.  Yeah, certain people feed off of the attention but they’re a reflection of a certain segment of the voting populace.  

Everybody is free to be themselves. Me?  I’m calling these folks at every turn. 
We'll write songs about you after you're gone. 

Cool..  I love you.

But engaging on #### about Trump's kids in a thread that has nothing to do with it?  Nah.  Stupid  Stop it.
His kids  are in the WH.  They are part of it.  They are just as bad as Haldeman, Liddy, Ehrlichman, etc. Yeah, I mean it.

That poster claimed they were swell people.  I’m not going to let that go.

His kids  are in the WH.  They are part of it.  They are just as bad as Haldeman, Liddy, Ehrlichman, etc. Yeah, I mean it.

That poster claimed they were swell people.  I’m not going to let that go.
I agree that they're not swell people, and that the notion they are should be disabused.

My point is only that there has been an attempt to rid this forum of certain abuses.  One of those is to bait people into engaging on non-pertinent topics that will deflect from the substantive business of a matter.  It seems that's what's happening here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that they're not swell people, and that that the notion they are should be disabused.

My point is only that there has been an attempt to rid this forum of certain abuses.  One of those is to bait people into engaging on non-pertinent topics that will deflect from the substantive business of a matter  It seems that's what's happening here.
I agree.

Yet as long as certain posters are given a forum, with the blessings of the owner/operator, to disseminate absolute garbage...I see no real need to lose any sleep over “abuses” or any paper-thin movement to stop them.

Put more broadly:  the owner of the site has expressed that he doesn’t wish to see contempt, among other things.  You can still feel contempt, but if you wish to express it, why here?  Why not find another place where it’s welcomed?  I’m not sure it’s “noble” to burn the place down.

Sheesh.
:goodposting:

I said at the beginning it was my belief that when Joe came out and said he was thinking of shutting it down that it would become the goal of some to actually have it shut down.  I appreciate the changes and those who have changed.  If anything it makes those with bad intentions that much easier to identify.  That thread makes it crystal clear who the fishermen are and who are more than willing to jump in the boat.

:goodposting:

I said at the beginning it was my belief that when Joe came out and said he was thinking of shutting it down that it would become the goal of some to actually have it shut down.  I appreciate the changes and those who have changed.  If anything it makes those with bad intentions that much easier to identify.  That thread makes it crystal clear who the fishermen are and who are more than willing to jump in the boat.
As a person who participated in the derailment if the topic in that thread I don’t agree with your bolded.  The discussion about the kids was an interesting one (to me at least and I think to others) and did not devolve like other discussions have to nastiness. It was just way off topic.  I was having an adult good faith discussion and certainly wasn’t “jumping on the boat” with any hopes of its destination being the shut down of the PSF.  

This forum is starting to remind me of global warming.  

Everyone is complaining about the inevitable, yet as a single person, no one is willing to take the steps necessary to correct it.

As a person who participated in the derailment if the topic in that thread I don’t agree with your bolded.  The discussion about the kids was an interesting one (to me at least and I think to others) and did not devolve like other discussions have to nastiness. It was just way off topic.  I was having an adult good faith discussion and certainly wasn’t “jumping on the boat” with any hopes of its destination being the shut down of the PSF.  
This is the point.  If you are participating in the attempted derailment, then you are absolutely jumping in the boat.  That's the goal...to get things off topic in hopes that people start getting personal and slinging insults so they can then be reported and suspended.  This has been going on for at least two years now and one of the reasons why Joe is considering shutting this place down.  Stay on topic or start another thread if Trump's kids are really that fascinating.

This is the point.  If you are participating in the attempted derailment, then you are absolutely jumping in the boat.  That's the goal...to get things off topic in hopes that people start getting personal and slinging insults so they can then be reported and suspended.  This has been going on for at least two years now and one of the reasons why Joe is considering shutting this place down.  Stay on topic or start another thread if Trump's kids are really that fascinating.
I'll take some proof of this, please.   As Joe and others have stated a million times, each of us are responsible for what we type and say.  Laying blame at someone else is the problem.  Be accountable for your own actions.

There was only one person in there basically stating he doesn't care about the rules and he's going to call out behavior he doesn't like however he wants.  Those attacks whether justified or not is what I think Joe is trying to stop.

I'll take some proof of this, please.   As Joe and others have stated a million times, each of us are responsible for what we type and say.  Laying blame at someone else is the problem.  Be accountable for your own actions.

There was only one person in there basically stating he doesn't care about the rules and he's going to call out behavior he doesn't like however he wants.  Those attacks whether justified or not is what I think Joe is trying to stop.
To be fair this strikes me as his opinion.  

I'm not laying blame at the feet of an individual.  I am laying blame at the feet of the action.  You want "proof" of my opinion?  Ok.  I think it's widely understood that this approach is what we don't want or there wouldn't be a mandate to keep things on topic in the manifesto or in the "keep the PSF" thread.  Actions speak louder than words IMO.  People don't have to say they don't care...it's pretty clear in their posting approach and unwillingness to change their posting approach even after being asked to stop.  And I agree that we all need to be accountable for our own actions.  It's why I have adjusted my posting approach.

ETA:  And this is really only my "opinion" because there is no way to read one's mind.  It's rather clear...some might say crystal.

Then start a new thread discussing it. If it devolves to any type of nastiness, it (and the offending posters) will be isolated to that thread. 

The children's success has zero to do with Trump impeachment. 

Then start a new thread discussing it. If it devolves to any type of nastiness, it (and the offending posters) will be isolated to that thread. 

The children's success has zero to do with Trump impeachment. 
Well, yes, certainly not directly...

However, discussing Hunter Biden and the attempt to get dirt on him (see the so-called "transcript") does have to do with the Trump' impeachment inquiry.

Consequently, if Trump Jr., on Twitter and yesterday on The View interjects Hunter Biden into the discussion suggesting that he only got the Ukraine job because he is Joe Biden's son, then it should be fair game to analogize that to Don Jr's success is due to his father's nepotism.

My point is that threads do not always stick narrowly to what was specified in the thread title and quite often venture into arguably related areas and, as such,  there should be some latitude so that minor digressions are allowed within reason. The alternative is to start a new thread anytime a discussion goes slightly off topic and then people complain about that.

Regarding the issue about Trump’s children: it did border on nasty but it was started by a person who I believe was deliberately trolling, trying to get a reaction from people (and he did, including me.) 

There is still going to be trolling around here and there are still going to be nasty responses. But the difference, under these new rules, is that most people are much more cautious and stuff like this is stopped quickly. So unlike the naysayers here I see a real change and I think it will last. 

Some are definitely doing better. The question is whether it'll be enough and if the others will help us get the message out about what will fly or not. Thanks for helping. 
Hope so....I'm still not sure if it's ok to post things like "Just move on..." kinds of things.  I've seen plenty of times where that's probably the best action, but haven't said anything because I'm pretty confident my post would wind up in the Suspension thread etc.

Hope so....I'm still not sure if it's ok to post things like "Just move on..." kinds of things.  I've seen plenty of times where that's probably the best action, but haven't said anything because I'm pretty confident my post would wind up in the Suspension thread etc.
Usually, I think "just move on" is better as a PM than as a post. If it's a post, it should be in a thread like this one, tagging the appropriate people, not in a thread about the Absolute Immunity Doctrine.

Regarding the issue about Trump’s children: it did border on nasty but it was started by a person who I believe was deliberately trolling, trying to get a reaction from people (and he did, including me.) 

There is still going to be trolling around here and there are still going to be nasty responses. But the difference, under these new rules, is that most people are much more cautious and stuff like this is stopped quickly. So unlike the naysayers here I see a real change and I think it will last. 
I don’t know , it seemed be getting better, but the past few days it seems to be getting back to the same old snarky, etc., stuff.

My apologies to you, Orton, and others for the over-exuberance of my posts last night.  While I know you understand my point, I wish I had made it a lot more kindly.  I was feeling generally frustrated, though not frustrated or angry with any particular person.  Anyway, sorry for being kind of a jerk!

My apologies to you, Orton, and others for the over-exuberance of my posts last night.  While I know you understand my point, I wish I had made it a lot more kindly.  I was feeling generally frustrated, though not frustrated or angry with any particular person.  Anyway, sorry for being kind of a jerk!
Thanks but we are 100% all good.  No offense taken.  

Kind of?*

* do I need to it? :coffee:  

Usually, I think "just move on" is better as a PM than as a post. If it's a post, it should be in a thread like this one, tagging the appropriate people, not in a thread about the Absolute Immunity Doctrine.
I’ll reiterate what I said before - IMO, you guys have to follow through on giving extended timeouts for folks not following the rules.  I know Joe said he doesn’t want to have negative reinforcement but it doesn’t seem quite fair for a large number of us to make an effort and then have it derailed because some people don’t care whether the PSF sticks around.

And to be clear - maybe that’s happening and I just don’t know about it.  I agree with others that things SEEM better to me but I’m also not a mod and haven’t been in the PSF as much this week.

I really don’t see anything near the level of vitriol that existed a week or so back.  Curious where those who feel this way are getting that, as it seems far more contained than prior. 

Same snarky stuff that kills any chance of real discussion. I mean one guy came out and said he was going to do it and keep doing it.  
Way too much negativity in here. I think it’s because you’re a Georgia Tech fan; used to bad stuff happening. Be of good cheer. 

Same snarky stuff that kills any chance of real discussion. I mean one guy came out and said he was going to do it and keep doing it.  
Then he should be suspended, especially if it’s so clear and obvious. I find it a lot less overall, and as noted, that makes those who overstep, especially those who do so repeatedly/ unapologetically that much easier to find (and weed out).

Again though, it still confounds me that so many complain when there is nothing at all that forces any of us to visit the forum. If it’s snark and negativity, why take the energy to go in, suffer that atmosphere, and then take the time and energy to complain (even if merited). I mean, if someone is so upset by the words on a message board or style of some posters, there are literally a billon other things one could do with their time. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

So I don’t get the motivation of coming to a place you don’t enjoy only to then complain about it (unless indeed there is some other motivation at hand). 

So I don’t get the motivation of coming to a place you don’t enjoy only to then complain about it (unless indeed there is some other motivation at hand). 
I can think of a few reasons...none of which reflect well on that sort of individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread