What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (5 Viewers)

Sam's scenes showed some important character development for one of the main characters on the show. Not every scene can be khals burning in a tent, armies clashing in king's landing, etc. I didn't have any problem with it. 

I am curious to see what they do with him at the citadel. At the rate the plot is progressing he's not going to have too much time to chill out there. 

Nice!

I wonder if the creators of this show intentionally use something like this, knowing it's going to be parsed/Reddit'd/message boarded over via screenshots.

25 years ago you would've had to take Polaroids of your TV, tape them to a big poster, and bring it into work or something. :shrug:
Absolutely had to know it would be pieced apart. If you watched Lost, the same thing happened. They put so many easter eggs in the show that ended up online.

Absolutely had to know it would be pieced apart. If you watched Lost, the same thing happened. They put so many easter eggs in the show that ended up online.
Same with thing with Rey's light saber vision in the new Star Wars film. That's the first thing I thought of when I was watching this last night. Tons of stuff happening and I knew someone had captured all of it online. 

Yeah but the dude thinks that's too drawn out so, you know. 

I swear some of you can't watch a show without some ubiquitous voiceover explaining everything to you 

'It was at that moment, in that miserable actors scowl and the audiences' reaction, that Arya realized her family name was less than nothing in the 7 Kingdoms.  She wasn't no one, a faceless girl. She was a Stark!'
LOL. The pretentiousness of some people is amazing. Just because someone thinks a story line is drawn a bit doesn't mean they need something explained to them. The fact that she was disturbed about the portrayal of her family was actually obvious in last week's episode, but thank goodness we got to see her giggle at Joffrey dying this week otherwise we would have missed it last week. Again, feel free to explain to us what the scene with Dany on Drogon showed us that her scene coming out of the fire after killing the khals did not. Wait, let me listen to the voiceover. Holy cow, she's going to try and take the seven kingdoms with the help of the Dothraki, dragons and ships? I had no idea.

Kinda surprised everyone likes the current pace of the show.  

Arya's story is drawn out as we are forced to watch like 20 minutes of some stupid play

I don;t see the need for that much Sam story last night

And the dragon chicks story is spinning it's wheels and has been for 3 years

Seems the most interesting parts - Lannisters vs the faith group, Benjen and the Walder Frey scenes - got the least air time.
I am with you on this. It seems that other seasons had a good mix of story and action. This season seems to be all talk with a token action sequence thrown in, except for this week, which had none. 

Loved the episode, as I do with every episode of this show.  Can't recall a bust, enjoy it every week.

I'm not sure where the stigma that everything is suddenly moving fast is coming from.  Was it Sam and Gily's long conversation in the carriage that was too fast, or maybe the nice long dinner leading exactly where everyone knew it was going?

:lol: at "Dany's scene shows she's finally ready to hit up Westeros".  Because she did the same thing she's done like 15 times now before NOT going to Westeros?  Of course we know probably things will be different this time just because of the time limit on number of episodes left, but then again people were saying the same thing about the fire episode and all we've gotten from her since then is two episodes of her horseback riding through the desert.

I think the show is perfectly paced this year, as it has been all years.  If it picks up a little that's fine, so long as it doesn't get into action movie territory.  I think stbugs is fair in saying that those scenes with Dany/Arya didn't really bring anything new, but that's part of what I think makes this show so great.  These things have more meaning when we see them evolve over many episodes than they would if we just got a quick one-off of them and moved on to the next quick storytelling point.  Remember back when everyone was complaining about episode after episode of Theon being tortured?  But how much better is Theon's character now for it?  Everyone fully understands how Theon has become such a shell of a man, much moreso than if we were shown it one time and then expected to know that meant his character was going to completely change.

I love that when this show wants to drive home a point about a character or their motivations, they set it up over the course of a year or two in our time rather than setting it up for the episode next week.  Makes it much more believable.

Episode 9 is the Battle of the Bastards - Snow and Ramsey will battle for Winterfell.

You will get action then.  Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the story playing out.  Its a chess match, and all of the pieces are getting into place for the final battle - in about 18 episodes or so...

People complaining about Sam's story. He is a fairly major character and I thought it was nice to finally get some background on him. And I'm not the biggest sam/gilly fan but 10 min to spend on his family was perfect imo.

LOL. The pretentiousness of some people is amazing. Just because someone thinks a story line is drawn a bit doesn't mean they need something explained to them. The fact that she was disturbed about the portrayal of her family was actually obvious in last week's episode, but thank goodness we got to see her giggle at Joffrey dying this week otherwise we would have missed it last week. Again, feel free to explain to us what the scene with Dany on Drogon showed us that her scene coming out of the fire after killing the khals did not. Wait, let me listen to the voiceover. Holy cow, she's going to try and take the seven kingdoms with the help of the Dothraki, dragons and ships? I had no idea.

You're forgetting that WE'VE seen the rah-rah stuff from her and the dragons before but she just picked up 100,000 Dothraki, a horde that she's about to ask to cross the ocean they're terrified of,  that haven't seen what we've seen. She needed the shock and awe moment for them to truly buy in.

It also seems important that she clearly has a link to the dragons. We kind of knew because Drogon saved her in the arena, but then he kind of went teenage emo dragon after that and left her alone to be captured. Anyways, she knew Drogon was out there...and we see how huge he's gotten living in the wild. 

Ok gilly, now listen, because this is very serious.  I'm going to introduce you to my old man.  He's an ####### and he kind of wanted me dead.  And he'll want you dead if you tell him you're a wildling.  So.  What's the first thing you're going to tell him?   I'm a wildling. No.  Listen.  He's going to kill you and the baby if you tell him that.  Remember how you used to live in a cabin in the woods while your father brutally beat and raped you and your sisters and you knew better than to talk back because it would only make things worse?  Dig deep here, I know you know how to bite your tongue.  So,  what are you going to tell him when you see him?   That I'm a wildling?    

I feel like a lot of the fans watching this show will find this scene unbelievable, and that is because they have are virgins and have never gone car shopping with their wife. 

The sword is ridiculous.  You know how jamie fell all over himself thanking his father when he got a valerian steel sword at age 40 or whatever he is?   Rarest thing in the world and the richest family in the world finally got one and had to split it between their two kids?   Samwise just had one lying around the house where he grew up.   

Finishing the episode with khaleesi actually made me angry.  OK let's take inventory here, we have no boats and we're in the middle if the desert with an army of people and we will get there eventually.   Let's have a speech and some cgi dragon time.   

Also you had to know that was going to be Benji, right?  I'm not sure how much he's going to play into the story but I think we've hit our quota for mysterious undead characters. The big reveal where he slowly takes off his balaclava was a little anticlimactic - if you hadn't already guessed, you had to recognize him one they froze the camera on his majestic schnozz.

Speaking of thwarted climaxes,  I knew Margery wasn't going to do that walk of shame but I wouldn't have minded if the army was just like five minutes late.  The mob that as gathered around to see some royal ####### must have been like,  oh, great, thank you tommen, king of the cockblock, first of his name.   I should probably put this handful of my own #### down now.

The old lady sucks now.  Her one line - he's beaten us - was so hammy it belonged in that play.  

Jamie not wanting to help Walter Frey is a far cry from that lannisters always pay their debts thing they beat us over the heads with the first few seasons.   

To summarize the stark storyline: Ok, ned, i need you to stay around and be hand of the king and help me rule.  Oops, boar.  Well,  can you at least look after my kid after i die?  Damn.  Ok, rob, i know you were going to learn from your father to be lord of winter fell, but that didn't work out so great.   Go gather up an army, you can learn as you go. ####. Well, sansa, at least you can learn how to be a lady.  That seems easy enough.   Hey Jon, we need you to be an apprentice to the Lord commander. Oh, ####.  We're going to need you to be lord commander.  Arya, listen close,  we need you to become a sword fighter.  Dang, there goes the first sword of bravos.  Well, you can apprentice with the faceless men.  Nope,  now we're going to have to kill you too.  Hey bran, you can't walk so we need to turn into tree Yoda some day.  He'll teach you everything you need to know.  ####.  These starks just can't finish what they start. 

Stay in school kids,  or you'll get raped, tortured, and used by the worst people in the planet, brutally betrayed and murdered by your friends then turned into a zombie,  betrayed by your childhood friend,  blinded and cracked in your face by a girl with a stick, crippled, have your friends killed in front of you and your dreams haunted, and if there's one certainty in life,  if you don't finish school they'll kill your ####### dog.  

You're forgetting that WE'VE seen the rah-rah stuff from her and the dragons before but she just picked up 100,000 Dothraki, a horde that she's about to ask to cross the ocean they're terrified of,  that haven't seen what we've seen. She needed the shock and awe moment for them to truly buy in.

It also seems important that she clearly has a link to the dragons. We kind of knew because Drogon saved her in the arena, but then he kind of went teenage emo dragon after that and left her alone to be captured. Anyways, she knew Drogon was out there...and we see how huge he's gotten living in the wild. 
Was that the first time she had a sense of the dragons being nearby? That's some series mom mojo she had goin on there. Seems like Dany's growing in power. 

So her walking through fire unharmed and killing all of the other khals in one shot isn't enough of a shock and awe moment? Pretty sure them bowing down to her and then already following her seems to show them already buying in on it. Also, while Drogon dropped her off, it also put her right where she needed to be to get the Dothraki horde.

I understand where they were going with it, but we already knew she had the dragons and the Dothraki. I can't wait for the scene where she's giving her speech on patience while everyone is sitting on the beach playing canasta waiting for the ships to come. As viewers, Dany's speech didn't add anything and neither did the second time Arya watched the play. We saw Arya get upset at the portrayal of Ned Stark last week, but we needed her to giggle at Joffrey dying this week to confirm her feelings? I don't mind the Sam stuff, but all of that was for the sword and that's it.

If we only have 13 episodes after this season, I don't want to see Arya still working through her feelings and I don't want to see another Dany speech unless it is the start of an actual battle scene.

I thought last night's episode showed that the pace is beginning to heat up.

Arya's storyline finally appears to be going somewhere interesting. I've been bored silly by all the faceless assassin stuff. 

Dany finally appears to be ready to go to King's Landing.

Theyre's plenty of political mechanisms going on in King's Landing right now between the Sparrow, the Lannisters and now the Tyrell's with Margaery clearly working some kind of scheme.

Bran's segment showed he's got some serious vision mojo going on right now that should produce all kinds of fun stuff now.

I do agree Sam's story seemed to be little more than an excuse to get him a big sword to use against the white walkers. That was really the only segment that fell a little flat for me.

There may not have been a tons of action if the episode but I thought there was a lot of stuff happening that pushed the story forward in interesting ways last night. 
I see this as working out very badly for Margaery.  She manipulated Tommen, who clearly drank the Kool-Aid and won't have the maturity to understand the nuance of what she did.  And with a little bit of nudging from Cersi...I dunno, maybe this has been covered already, but I don't like this for Margaery one bit.

I see this as working out very badly for Margaery.  She manipulated Tommen, who clearly drank the Kool-Aid and won't have the maturity to understand the nuance of what she did.  And with a little bit of nudging from Cersi...I dunno, maybe this has been covered already, but I don't like this for Margaery one bit.
I imagine Magaery outlasts Tommen and Cersei.  

The challenge for her, of course, is that her claim to power is predicated on Tommen being king.  When he dies, she is going to have to stand on her own - and that all depends on the strength of the Tyrell army.

I imagine Magaery outlasts Tommen and Cersei.  

The challenge for her, of course, is that her claim to power is predicated on Tommen being king.  When he dies, she is going to have to stand on her own - and that all depends on the strength of the Tyrell army.
Wherever they take the story is cool with me... I prefer your version over mine. 

Wherever they take the story is cool with me... I prefer your version over mine. 
Meh - we could both be right.  Tommen is going to die - but perhaps Margaery did not anticipate that angle.  And, so by pushing him over the edge, so to speak, she has doomed her own future.

I think there has to be a twist in this somewhere.  Maybe like mentioned above, he is setting up the other girl.  She is the one who is holding a grudge. I think that goes against their whole credo to forget everything, or whatever.  Undoubtedly, Arya is a trained bad4ss, and needs to get back to help the rest of the Starks soon.
Yeah, I could see that. Maybe she  confronts Arya.....and tells her that she was the daughter of a House that the Starks slighted, Arya kills her and then that's that.  I do think though the subject matter of the play (essentially painting Ned as a fool and Joffery as righteous) along with her pulling needle out of retirement hints more towards her not being a Faceless Man. 

I swear some of you can't watch a show without some ubiquitous voiceover explaining everything to you 

'It was at that moment, in that miserable actors scowl and the audiences' reaction, that Arya realized her family name was less than nothing in the 7 Kingdoms.  She wasn't no one, a faceless girl. She was a Stark!'
John Hurt would be money reading that narrative. 

Sam's scenes showed some important character development for one of the main characters on the show. Not every scene can be khals burning in a tent, armies clashing in king's landing, etc. I didn't have any problem with it. 

I am curious to see what they do with him at the citadel. At the rate the plot is progressing he's not going to have too much time to chill out there. 
My two complaints about that are:

1) Sam's dad doesn't seem like the type to just let the sword go....and go unpunished. So at the least, we're going to be subjected to a (IMO) unneccesary confrontation with no huge payoff.

2) Once Sam's dad said that Gilly could work in the kitchen and that Sam had to leave.....I was glad because I thought that was the end of Gilly. 

we did? 
Yes, we did know she had dragons. Don't be obtuse. Did we know she had dragons when Drogon saved her in the arena? Maybe we weren't sure back then, but yes we absolutely knew she had dragons now. 

Maybe a cool scene because of the dragon, but Dany's speech didn't advance the story line at all. The only change is that she might be sitting on the dragon waiting for the Iron Born to sail their ships to her.

what happened last time we saw her with her dragon? 
He dropped her off so she could get her army and get on her way to Westeros with her dragons, 100k Dothraki and some boats. It's been the exact same story since she married Drogo. I'll make an analogy. Remember the show 24 where the perimeter continues to fail but in the end Jack saves the day? Well Dany's perimeter continues to break and when we get to the end of the show she'll save the day. It's been a few seasons but still the same Dany + 100k Dothraki + dragons + ships message.

You our can try to be coy, but whether Drogon decides to fly around for a bit doesn't mean Dany isn't connected to him. 

:shrug:

you don't think it was important for her army and her lover to see her with the dragon? 

24 sucked
You don't understand. We have already seen it so the other characters?  Who cares. We want new action. What's taken her so long to get 100k desert nomads to blindly follow her?!??!??

Pretty sure nobody has ever claimed that it should be action every scene.  

I read this in a Waylon Jennings voice aka Dukes of Hazard voice over. Hoping I was not alone on that. :oldunsure:

Sam having the sword is just kinda whatever. Yeah, he got lucky and killed a white walker before,  but you're telling me that in the heart of battle, with thousands of zombies slaughtering people all around him that him having a sword is gonna turn the tide? Not sure I'm buying that. 

Agree with those who are tired of dany's big emotional monologs. Totally played out. 

Not really sure what the end game is for the high sparrow. I've always thought he was just this 100 percent pure super pious dude.  Sure doesn't seem like that now.

Obviously benjen stark and edmure  Tully weren't important characters, but if you don't remember who they were you're not paying close enough attention. You're like a fan of a team that can't name 7 players and only watches the playoffs start. It's fine but just own it. Everyone is obviously free to enjoy the show in their own way but I don't see how someone could watch a show like this and not get fully invested 

If this is indeed the case, why would it be disappointing? 
I feel like that would needlessly complicate the story. Aerys was saying 'Burn them all' because he had a nasty case of Targaryen pyromania, his enemies were at his gates, because he was spiteful and insane, because he had rigged the city to explode, and because he thought burning everything down would turn him into a dragon.

Making him a failed pawn of Bran's or a misunderstood viewer of the big picture would be shoehorning in a very rickety answer to something which wasn't a mystery in the first place.

Why would Bran do this? - if it was a mistake, then it would be dramatically unsatisfying and very cursory. Aerys - a lunatic - had more than enough motivation to act the way he did without being worried about the White Walkers. And if he was worrying about the White Walkers, he wouldn't act like that.

I think people are forgetting that the last time we saw Drogon he was being a total rebellious ****.  I think it was important to show that Dany still has the leash to a degree, so to speak. Drogon nipped at her earlier in the show, and later abandoned her in the wild and allowed her to be captured after saving her in the arena. It wasn't just a given that she could bring him back into the fold and ride him at will after his time in the wilderness. Maybe plot wise it was obvious to us, but not based on what they showed. 

Users who are viewing this thread