What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (2 Viewers)

One thing I gotta disagree with what Sepinwall mentioned above. I think Jon Snow is an awesome character. I love him. One of the few true heroes this show has and theres nothing wrong with Kit Harrington's acting. Im a big fan.
It takes every ounce of strength I have to stay awake when he's on screen.

So is John Snow going beyond the wall to try and kill Mance Radernation? Why wouldn't he take his sword? Maybe he is going to try and convince them he is still a Wild Thing.
That part makes no sense to me, unless he reunites somehow with Bran and both dogs.

So is John Snow going beyond the wall to try and kill Mance Radernation? Why wouldn't he take his sword? Maybe he is going to try and convince them he is still a Wild Thing.
That part makes no sense to me, unless he reunites somehow with Bran and both dogs.
I thought he just left the sword because he thought his chances of making it to Mance were slim and even if he did, he was going to die, so thought, why waste such a great sword. Its also difficult to image that he would be going in as a Wild Thing. He'd have to argue not only that he was able to sneak through the Black Tower to get out to Mance, but also that he was the only one of the wildings that was left alive to make it through. At the least, he'd be tied up and kept captive.

Points of note:

1. so glad they didn't have Sam take out Ygritte with the crossbow.

2. those giants were awesome. Liked how the one giant got super pissed off when his dad(?) got skewered.

3. Manse isn't exactly a tactical genious. Crawling up the wall worked great for that first group of people. We've got some more wall climbers. How about we wait until the big fight and have the rest of the wall climbers climb the humongous wall right underneath the castle instead of sending them over prior to the attack and attack along the wall or reinforce the existing wall climbers.

4. I thought there were only slightly more than 100 defenders at Castle Black. Sure seemed like alot more: between the number of guys killed, number left over on the ground and guys shooting the arrows

5. why did it take so long for them to brop barrels of oil on the giants/mammoth? worked great once they decided to get it in gear.

6. also thought that Sam's gf was going to be sexually assaulted by the guy running away. Either that of find the guy with a knife in his chest. Needed some action there.
we disagree on #1 I guess. needed more emotion than random kid #2 taking her out.
But Sam? They make him out as the type of guy who can't even tie his own shoelace. They could have pulled alot more emotion out of that scene than they did. They didn't need Sam pulling the trigger.
It wouldnt have been completely unearned. sam has gotten more competent and condfident after killing the white walker, plus they just had a scene talking about ygrette. not great, but imo better than what we got. 8 year old kid we have never seen do anything?

One thing I gotta disagree with what Sepinwall mentioned above. I think Jon Snow is an awesome character. I love him. One of the few true heroes this show has and theres nothing wrong with Kit Harrington's acting. Im a big fan.
I think he is a good character and probably the only true good guy we have in the show since Ned. I just don't think they did enough with him this season. Not sure exactly what else they can do with him up there, but after following his arc quite a bit previously as he was with the Wildlings, he hasn't done a whole lot since getting back to Castle Black. He and Maester Aemon are about the only two I like seeing from this location.
The character may have alot of potential, but the actor isn't exactly contributing all that much toward character development or establishing much in the way of desire for the audience to want him to succeed. At least to me he seems rather like a dirty hand towel that has limited use.
I don't think kit is the best actor on the show. however, his character is also fairly one note. he is the typical hero that does the right and honorable thing, essentially a less charismatic Ned. not a ton to do with that arc. personally, I root for him, but don't find him nearly as interesting as the dozens of other more complex characters on the show.

What I just don't understand, when you have a hot, bad ###, horny queen with dragons and you don't show her as much as possible. :shrug:

Seems like the fire just gives you a way to see what's trying to kill you. Of course, wildlings would apparently rather die instead of stepping over to the side really quickly.

Sam is criminally underrated. He is one of the true heroes in the show. Dude knows he is not a bad### but he never backs down from danger and is typically money in crunch time. Plus he is pretty darn funny. Sure, the stuff with Gilly and all his book learnin' is slow but it also confirms that Sam is good people. IMO he is the most interesting character at The Wall.

Sam is criminally underrated. He is one of the true heroes in the show. Dude knows he is not a bad### but he never backs down from danger and is typically money in crunch time. Plus he is pretty darn funny. Sure, the stuff with Gilly and all his book learnin' is slow but it also confirms that Sam is good people. IMO he is the most interesting character at The Wall.
He has grown on me. Still not in the top 10 of kings landing characters.

Points of note:

1. so glad they didn't have Sam take out Ygritte with the crossbow.

2. those giants were awesome. Liked how the one giant got super pissed off when his dad(?) got skewered.

3. Manse isn't exactly a tactical genious. Crawling up the wall worked great for that first group of people. We've got some more wall climbers. How about we wait until the big fight and have the rest of the wall climbers climb the humongous wall right underneath the castle instead of sending them over prior to the attack and attack along the wall or reinforce the existing wall climbers.

4. I thought there were only slightly more than 100 defenders at Castle Black. Sure seemed like alot more: between the number of guys killed, number left over on the ground and guys shooting the arrows

5. why did it take so long for them to brop barrels of oil on the giants/mammoth? worked great once they decided to get it in gear.

6. also thought that Sam's gf was going to be sexually assaulted by the guy running away. Either that of find the guy with a knife in his chest. Needed some action there.
we disagree on #1 I guess. needed more emotion than random kid #2 taking her out.
But Sam? They make him out as the type of guy who can't even tie his own shoelace. They could have pulled alot more emotion out of that scene than they did. They didn't need Sam pulling the trigger.
It wouldnt have been completely unearned. sam has gotten more competent and condfident after killing the white walker, plus they just had a scene talking about ygrette. not great, but imo better than what we got. 8 year old kid we have never seen do anything?
When the crows were training in the yard, right before Locke kicked the ish out of a trainee, the kid wanted to swing a sword. When they laughed him off he quipped he was an expert bow hunter. He might even have been comjng back from a hunting trip with his dad when the Thenns attacked.

I was really hoping Jon would kill Ygritte so we could at least add a little depth to his character.

And I still don't understand why he's totally given up on the idea of blowing the tunnel now that they have the time to do it and Thorne admitted it was the right decision.

Kind of amusing that the Knight's Watch simply watched that giant take his sweet time to punch through that metal wall and open it up. Like, maybe you guys could drop a rock on him? Something?

Kind of amusing that the Knight's Watch simply watched that giant take his sweet time to punch through that metal wall and open it up. Like, maybe you guys could drop a rock on him? Something?
Nothing in this dumb show makes any sense. They have a 700 mile wall and they choose to climb up underneath literally the worst possible 0.5 of a mile you can.

Nothing in this dumb show makes any sense. They have a 700 mile wall and they choose to climb up underneath literally the worst possible 0.5 of a mile you can.
You mean the part where there's an existing tunnel?

I thought about that too. My explanation parallels that justifying the flaming arrows - hard to see one dude 700 feet away in the middle of the night in the heat of battle.

Also didn't know why the team sent to secure the gate against said giant didn't have any ranged weapons to shoot through the bars of the inner gate. That might have helped.

exactly- about the only place they could bust through.

This. The only tunnel for which to march the army through is right there. Didn't Sam sneak back across through a tavern or something though? Same with Bran when he went north across the wall. I have a hard time believing that none of the wildlings know about that entrance, considering the red haired guy has claimed to climb back and forth across the wall multiple times.

I thought the battle itself overall was pretty spectacular, with the obvious shortcomings that have already been pointed out. Why didn't the giant just hold the gate open and let the army come through the tunnel?

The scene where the wildling shot his arrow and it went, maybe a fifth of the way up the wall, then the Giant launched his arrow was pretty great. Reinforcements have to come to the wall at some point. Maybe the white walkers come and the wildlings and nights watch unite against them?

I thought about that too. My explanation parallels that justifying the flaming arrows - hard to see one dude 700 feet away in the middle of the night in the heat of battle.

Also didn't know why the team sent to secure the gate against said giant didn't have any ranged weapons to shoot through the bars of the inner gate. That might have helped.
They commented that the giant was shot with 20 arrows already and they had no effect.

I would of liked to of seen the actual battle between the giant and the 5 Knights Watch guys in the tunnel. They changed scenes as the giant was rushing the fence. After that I assumed the giant flattened them and was somewhere inside castle black.

The attack on the front of the wall was a probing maneuver and a distraction to hopefully allow their advanced team to surprise the Watch and open the gate from the inside. The tactic failed but it was most definitely not a full assault. They still learned a ton about the defensive capability of the Watch in the process. For example they learned the tunnel has not been sealed, to not send up a bunch of climbers because ANCHOR SLICE, and watch out for the pointy flaming arrows.

That's useful stuff right there.

Didn't the Night's watch run out of oil as well? I thought they said something like "there arn't any more" when they were loading the barrels.

Can they even use that anchor again? It seemed like they had to break two seals to drop it. How hard is it going to be to reload that thing before the next night considering half the night's watch died. Or are there more of those anchors ready to go.

Sure seems like they exhausted the majority of their defenses already.

Didn't the Night's watch run out of oil as well? I thought they said something like "there arn't any more" when they were loading the barrels.
I heard something similar but I think they may have been saying that they got the last of the oil barrels up to the top of the Wall not that it was the last of their oil supply.

Either way the wildlings wouldn't know how much oil they have based on the events of last episode.

Great, movie quality episode. You just don't see battle scenes like that on any other TV show ever made.
I barely saw this battle scene. Once in awhile, how about a treat where everyone kills each other without the cover of darkness.

It sure did sound like a great episode though!
I actually increased the brightness of our tv last night. It takes away from those "deep blacks" associated with LEDs but we were actually able to see what was going on.

Can they even use that anchor again? It seemed like they had to break two seals to drop it. How hard is it going to be to reload that thing before the next night considering half the night's watch died. Or are there more of those anchors ready to go.

Don't see why they couldn't bring that anchor up in rather quick order. Rope, pulleys, a little elbow grease and bam ANCHOR SLICEXPLODE!!1!!!!!111

Great, movie quality episode. You just don't see battle scenes like that on any other TV show ever made.
I barely saw this battle scene. Once in awhile, how about a treat where everyone kills each other without the cover of darkness.

It sure did sound like a great episode though!
I actually increased the brightness of our tv last night. It takes away from those "deep blacks" associated with LEDs but we were actually able to see what was going on.
I am usually pretty sensitive to the whole "we can't make it good so let's make it dark" routine but I really had no problem with any of the action last night.

My question is, why did the guys on the top of the wall light their arrows on fire? It was dark outside. Wouldn't that just let them see they were coming? I'd rather have arrows quietly and invisibly piercing through the sky.
If they don't see them land then they can't adjust trajectory for next shot maybe?

Don't see why they couldn't bring that anchor up in rather quick order. Rope, pulleys, a little elbow grease and bam ANCHOR SLICEXPLODE!!1!!!!!111
Dolorous Edd ordered them to crank it back up right after it happened.

They said something like "Hoist it back up!" which implied to me they could use it again. It was encased in ice but there seemed to be a trigger mechanism that had to be release once the ice was gone.

Dolorous Edd ordered them to crank it back up right after it happened.
Seems if they can figure out the elevator, they can figure out a way to crank up that anchor again.

Of course, not sure how many times the wall could handle it.

Users who are viewing this thread