What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (6 Viewers)

Every TV show that has been on air for more than one season over the last 30 years has featured a baby being stabbed in at least one episode. Actually true.

I remember Janos from this season however prior to that he wasn't seen since season 2 episode 2 a full two years ago.

It's not surprising that we forgot about his role in the betrayal of Ned or the killing of the Baratheon kids.
Yeah that was somewhat tough to connect the dots given the overall treatment of him and events with the night's watch. I think this episode was probably a bit more incongruous for the non-book readers given how much of a backwater the night's watch has been in the show. You get drips and drabs of it with not much character development, and then, bam, an entire episode devoted solely to that setting. I don't think the show has handled it particularly well. I mean, how many episodes has Ygritte even been in this season - and then all of a sudden we're supposed to have a big emotional death scene with her? Contrast that with the treatment Oberyn got for instance.

Last edited by a moderator:
thought this last episode was the weakest of the season. I enjoy big battles, but not at the expense of all the other characters. I might be an idiot for asking but who exactly was that old dude who cowardly ran into Gilly's room?
Janos Slynt.
he was sent to the wall by Tyrion in season 2 for baby killing
He was also the one that betrayed Ned back in Season 1 by telling him he had the support of the City Watch and then backing out.
oh man, i totally forgot about all this. Not sure how some of you can not just remember these things for years but remember the character's name when I dont think they even mentioned it this week.
Do you watch the introductions to the show? They tailor the clips from past shows to fill you in on people they haven't talked about in a while. This week, they showed Janos indignantly yelling that he has been the head of the King's Landing City Watch.
HBOgo doesn't give a "previously on" intro. Just FYI.

"It's the best finale we've ever done, bar none," "Thrones" showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss said in a statement. "The performances from our cast, the direction from Alex Graves, the VFX work, the new [music] cues from Ramin Djawadi -- all of it came together in perhaps the finest hour we've produced. We're immensely proud of 'The Children.' And a little intimidated by the episode, because now we have to get back to the business of season five and figure out a way to top it."

Awesome.

"It's the best finale we've ever done, bar none," "Thrones" showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss said in a statement. "The performances from our cast, the direction from Alex Graves, the VFX work, the new [music] cues from Ramin Djawadi -- all of it came together in perhaps the finest hour we've produced. We're immensely proud of 'The Children.' And a little intimidated by the episode, because now we have to get back to the business of season five and figure out a way to top it."

Awesome.
The posters here will probably hate it.

When was a baby stabbed?
Back after Robert died, they killed a baby at the whore house, thinking it was a legitimate heir of Robert's
It was Robert's kid but was still illegitimate. Legitimate/illegitimate is defined by marriage, not by paternity.
Yup but Cersei was worried enough about Joffrey's claim to the throne that she had a whole buncha kids who she suspected to be Robert's bastards slaughtered.

When was a baby stabbed?
Back after Robert died, they killed a baby at the whore house, thinking it was a legitimate heir of Robert's
It was Robert's kid but was still illegitimate. Legitimate/illegitimate is defined by marriage, not by paternity.
Legitimacy could be also granted by The King....or an illegitimate could be used as a figurehead for a movement against another illegitmate who is in power.

I like how Sam found a "loop hole" in his vows. Can't take a wife, can't father a child, but it doesn't mention doing other things. :lol:

Obvious question may be obvious.

Why attack the wall at castle black? the wall is really long, why not go a couple clicks down and go in there?

the moops said:
does seem like they should choose a better place to actually climb the wall though
Yah, like where their "elite" squad climbed up. Just send everyone up that spot, as it's proven to work time and time again.

the moops said:
does seem like they should choose a better place to actually climb the wall though
While they could send 500 men over the wall at a remote location to take the South gate thus securing the tunnel, remember that they believe that the Night's Watch is still strong with 1000 men at Castle Black and well manned watch stations all along the wall. They thought that doing that would alert the Night's Watch and perhaps give them time to give the armies of the North time to muster a defense (not knowing that the North is in chaos)

they must be idiots to still think the crows number over a 1000. can't one of their warg dudes see otherwise
:shrug:

Notice that when the attack began they lit a lot of extra torches along the wall to make it look like there was more of them up there.

is the moon super bright in this world? wouldn't think you would be able to see so well atop a 700 ft wall in the middle of the night

the moops said:
Yah, like where their "elite" squad climbed up. Just send everyone up that spot, as it's proven to work time and time again.
The guys climbing the wall are a distraction mainly. It'd be nice if they actually got to the top and removed the defenders so they'd be unable to interrupt attempts at forcing the tunnel. But the main focus is always breaking through the tunnel. They're not going to be able to get a 100,000 person strong army to the other side in force by climbing over.

The guys climbing the wall are a distraction mainly. It'd be nice if they actually got to the top and removed the defenders so they'd be unable to interrupt attempts at forcing the tunnel. But the main focus is always breaking through the tunnel. They're not going to be able to get a 100,000 person strong army to the other side in force by climbing over.
I don't think anyone is saying they should climb 100,000 people over the wall. Rather, send enough over the wall to take control of the castle and open the tunnel for the 100,000 to walk through.

More importantly, instead of sending 30 over the wall covertly and 300 up right under the stiffest defenses to be slaughtered, just send 330 over covertly. Or even 3000 over covertly. Anything is better than wasting a bunch of your best climbers to be slaughtered without ever getting anywhere close to the top of the wall.

Regardless, it was a well done episode if we just ignore that Mance Rayder is the worst tactician in Westeros.

I don't think anyone is saying they should climb 100,000 people over the wall. Rather, send enough over the wall to take control of the castle and open the tunnel for the 100,000 to walk through.

More importantly, instead of sending 30 over the wall covertly and 300 up right under the stiffest defenses to be slaughtered, just send 330 over covertly. Or even 3000 over covertly. Anything is better than wasting a bunch of your best climbers to be slaughtered without ever getting anywhere close to the top of the wall.

Regardless, it was a well done episode if we just ignore that Mance Rayder is the worst tactician in Westeros.
Didn't a bunch of the climbers from Ginger Minge's advanced scout team plummet to their deaths while trying to climb the wall?

the moops said:
While they could send 500 men over the wall at a remote location to take the South gate thus securing the tunnel, remember that they believe that the Night's Watch is still strong with 1000 men at Castle Black and well manned watch stations all along the wall. They thought that doing that would alert the Night's Watch and perhaps give them time to give the armies of the North time to muster a defense (not knowing that the North is in chaos)

1. How many in the army are actually capable of making this climb? Probably few.

2. I dont think Mance has a lot of training to lead an army, so I wouldnt expect him to be a tactical genius. If you are talking about a bunch of nomadic tribes with little soldier training, the full on frontal assault with sheer numbers seems plausible. Less need for troops to make smart decisions and follow orders (neither of which may be likely in this "army")

Remember these are the people that thought a tiny little windmill was a castle. They aren't educated and aren't very worldly. They exist in isolation in a frozen wasteland.

I just don't understand why they didn't use their F-22 Raptors to assault the wall and then load up the bulk of their army in a bunch of Lockheed C-130 Hercules and BAM straight to King's Landing!

2. I dont think Mance has a lot of training to lead an army, so I wouldnt expect him to be a tactical genius. If you are talking about a bunch of nomadic tribes with little soldier training, the full on frontal assault with sheer numbers seems plausible. Less need for troops to make smart decisions and follow orders (neither of which may be likely in this "army")
The "let's send a smaller party in to get beaten back and test their defenses" doesn't seem like a great idea either for a tribal army that could break at any moment and has been united on the idea that they'd be unstoppable if they all work together.

Probably not the scenario where you want to set up your first skirmish to be a probable loss.

I just don't understand why they didn't use their F-22 Raptors to assault the wall and then load up the bulk of their army in a bunch of Lockheed C-130 Hercules and BAM straight to King's Landing!
You bind those evil spirits that are behind the crows with the blood of the Mother, the name of the Father, the power of entombment of the Stranger, the power of agreement, the word of the Gods. Take air superiority, and then roll in with your tanks on the ground. Blitzkrieg!

Users who are viewing this thread