What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (5 Viewers)

I dont know anything about spoiler rules or that, as I hope there are not any. Just a standard code amongst brethren, I suppose. 

BUT...

Why are you in a Game of Thrones discussion thread if you have not watched the latest knowing what will be in here? 
Im not quite sure I follow.

I watched last night like everyone else. Is your beef with my spoiler tag, or not having watched "Spoils of War" (I did)? Little confused.

The Lannister army just delivered truckloads of gold.  That's money.

No need to borrow anymore.  That's cash on hand. 

Now, if she wants to maintian good relations with the Iron bank, she can make interest payments, or pay down the debt.  But to pay it off and then immediately borrow it again?  Makes no sense.
they did make a point of saying that some at the Iron Bank would be "upset" without interest payments going forward. 

also, not sure why he's been in two consecutive episodes, with more dialogue each time. maybe Cersei is planning to hold the Iron Bank guy for ransom? 

Now, if she wants to maintian good relations with the Iron bank, she can make interest payments, or pay down the debt.  But to pay it off and then immediately borrow it again?  Makes no sense.
I think she even said that she need his help with troops, ships, armies.  By the tone of the conversation I think the bank was getting to the point where they owed so much that they weren't giving her another dime, but did enjoy the interest payments.  She had to prove that they could pay it off and have the upper hand in this war for them to invest farther I guess.  Basically she needs the IB's connections to continue.  Even if she has a mountain of gold, she couldn't do much without the backing of them or somebody else out there.  

But as I said, even if she did get the gold, the dynamic is different with this loss and the IB might decide to back Dany instead since they want to invest in the winner of the war.

I think Jamie makes it to the end of the series.

He might die at the end, but Weiss Benioff know that Jamie's their best character.

I'm not sure the Iron Bank is going to be thrilled with anything less than a very large principal reduction payment at this point. They don't seem inclined to offer a forbearance agreement. 

Jaime is a prisoner, Euron and Cersei get together, at some point, Jaime kills Euron, before Jaime/Cersei die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyrion is watching everything happening with Jamie and Dany. I doubt he just stands there and does nothing as he sees his brother going into the water. Could definitely see him getting Jamie out while telling Dany who Jamie is and what a valuable prisoner he'll be. 
Jamie of course will live but Tyrion is too smart to risk suggesting something like that to Dany right after she not so subtly questioned if his true loyalty still lies with his own.

The curveballs used to be a big part, but can't remember that many Oh crap deaths of people that we liked in the last few seasons.  At it's peak we had Ned, Tyrion taking out Pops and Shae, Red Wedding, Oberyn, etc..  Now as the cast gets whittled down that doesn't seem to happen as much.  Fake out deaths of The Hound and Jon, this week with Jamie (0% chance he is dead) have been more the norm the last couple seasons.  i am sure I am forgetting something (I guess closest was last season's explosion?), just saying that it feels like nobody of consequence is in jeopardy anymore.  This episode could have used that oh #### moment with Bronn or Jamie biting it for sure. 
You didn't think Margaery, Mace, Loras, Pycelle and the High Sparrow getting killed at the end of last season was a curveball?

From the standpoint of running a TV show all of the events you mentioned plus the above happened near the end of a season. Joffrey is the only surprising death I can remember that happend midseason.  I think we should wait until the end of the season to start complaining about how no one important died.

Jamie of course will live but Tyrion is too smart to risk suggesting something like that to Dany right after she not so subtly questioned if his true loyalty still lies with his own.
Not sure Tyrion can just stand there and watch his brother die like that if he thinks there's a chance to save him.

Jamie is the way too obvious catalyst that brings the major players together for some onscreen dialogue before the great final battle begins. Particularly the inevitable Tyrion/Cercsei reunion. The verbal jousting between those two would wayyyy too good to NOT happen.

Tyrion is watching everything happening with Jamie and Dany. I doubt he just stands there and does nothing as he sees his brother going into the water. Could definitely see him getting Jamie out while telling Dany who Jamie is and what a valuable prisoner he'll be. 
Tough spot for Tyrion.  He owes Jamie his life.  But he knows Cercei is cra cra and that Jaime loves her.  

I give Jaime a lot of credit.  The guy needs that wagon train to carry his balls around.  He's fearless.  

You didn't think Margaery, Mace, Loras, Pycelle and the High Sparrow getting killed at the end of last season was a curveball?

From the standpoint of running a TV show all of the events you mentioned plus the above happened near the end of a season. Joffrey is the only surprising death I can remember that happend midseason.  I think we should wait until the end of the season to start complaining about how no one important died.
I did mention the explosion in my post, and fair point about the timing of these deaths. 

Tough spot for Tyrion.  He owes Jamie his life.  But he knows Cercei is cra cra and that Jaime loves her.  

I give Jaime a lot of credit.  The guy needs that wagon train to carry his balls around.  He's fearless.  
Yup. You could see how pained Tyrion was watching everything unfold. Dinklage told us everything without saying hardly anything at all. He's a ridiculously talented guy.

And for a character who could've easily been a one-note villain type when he was first introduced Jamie has become an extremely fascinating and compelling character. 

Sinn Fein said:
Seems like the writers hate Tyrion - because, aside from a few good one-liners, he has not done anything well lately.  Made a mistake in Merreen.  Made a mistake attacking Kings Landing.  Made a mistake attacking Casterly Rock.

What was the last thing he did "right"?  Maybe inviting Jon Snow to Dragonstone...but given that Tyrion was portrayed as having a good strategic/diplomatic mind - he pretty much has been sucking at it...
Her war time consigliere is on the way: Jorah.

Did anyone notice a face in the tree where Bran, Sansa and Arya met?  Or was I seeing things?

Anyone got a screen cap?  If there was a face there, might come into play later.
Being a book reader, I could explain in great detail about that tree and what it means, but might get yelled at here. I'm pretty sure it was touched on in one of the first couple of episodes of season one though. Those trees are special, incredibly long-lived, and tie closely to Bran's abilities, the first men and the Children. Like the tree where Bran met the three eyed raven, his abilities to see into the past are greatly enhanced by being in the presence of such a tree. The TV series hasn't explained it very well.

Didn't see last week's episode until last night (was gone on vacation) just before watching this week's. Quickest two hours of my life. THe Dany/Jon tension was well done, but I couldn't help but be surprised that neither of them, nor any of their advisors, proposed the obvious solution to the "bend the knee"/"I can't bend the knee" problem: Dany left her lover behind knowing she might need to make a political marriage: the "King in the North" would make a fine match. It's also fine irony that Targs had a habit of marrying family and she is his aunt. As much as I loved the scenes, this idea should have been brought up.

No way Jaime dies by drowning between episodes. Would have made more sense to not have the water so deep though.

Being a book reader, I could explain in great detail about that tree and what it means, but might get yelled at here. I'm pretty sure it was touched on in one of the first couple of episodes of season one though. Those trees are special, incredibly long-lived, and tie closely to Bran's abilities, the first men and the Children. Like the tree where Bran met the three eyed raven, his abilities to see into the past are greatly enhanced by being in the presence of such a tree. The TV series hasn't explained it very well.
I did not read the books, but I agree that this mythology was too lightly touched on.  They may need another scene about it.  Am I correct that the first men worshiped the old gods and carved faces into the weirwood trees, which are located in gardens outside each major city/fortress in the North?  

I was unaware of the bold, but it does make sense.  

I did not read the books, but I agree that this mythology was too lightly touched on.  They may need another scene about it.  Am I correct that the first men worshiped the old gods and carved faces into the weirwood trees, which are located in gardens outside each major city/fortress in the North?  

I was unaware of the bold, but it does make sense.  
Correct, but those trees used to be everywhere in Westeros

...When Jamie was charging toward Dany, with Tyrion's mumbling voiceover "you ####ing idiot", I'm not sure what I was hoping for or fearing...
That comment could have gone/meant of couple of different things. Was he saying that to Danerys, in reflection of his comments to her being "too dangerous" for her to fly the dragon in battle OR the more obvious saying it to Jamie for doing the solo charge on the dragon? And as a caveat...IF he was muttering that towards Jamie...any chance that Tyrion could actually be dealing as a double agent?? Of course the way people all feel for the character, probably not the double-agent thought. However it would be an amazingly weird twist to the overall story.

Not with certainty.  I genuinely didn't know if he was gonna come back or not.  I was being critical of the poster that I quoted in that I disagree that it was blatantly obvious.  I thought it plausible that he could be dead given that this show has killed off main characters at the ends of previous seasons. 
For book readers, this is still unresolved. The last big cliffhanger from the last book published 5+ years ago leaves Jon bleeding in the snow. If I hadn't seen the show, I'd also think it 50/50 whether he's dead or not.

That comment could have gone/meant of couple of different things. Was he saying that to Danerys, in reflection of his comments to her being "too dangerous" for her to fly the dragon in battle OR the more obvious saying it to Jamie for doing the solo charge on the dragon? And as a caveat...IF he was muttering that towards Jamie...any chance that Tyrion could actually be dealing as a double agent?? Of course the way people all feel for the character, probably not the double-agent thought. However it would be an amazingly weird twist to the overall story.
He's not currently but if he were to save Jaime from being a prisoner it may force him to switch sides again where he doesn't want to be. 

He's not currently but if he were to save Jaime from being a prisoner it may force him to switch sides again where he doesn't want to be. 
Tyrion is fully behind Dany but for the first time he was confronted with the realities of what's now happening. It's one thing for him to take down Cersei who he hates but it's another to see Drogon tearing Lannisters to shreds with his brother (the only Lannister he cares about or ever cared for him) right smack in the middle of it.  

Im not quite sure I follow.

I watched last night like everyone else. Is your beef with my spoiler tag, or not having watched "Spoils of War" (I did)? Little confused.
Ahh...I thought you were telling people to not post spoilers. I am simply saying if you want to avoid spoilers, probably best to stay out of this thread until caught up.

So just a misunderstanding to your point.

For book readers, this is still unresolved. The last big cliffhanger from the last book published 5+ years ago leaves Jon bleeding in the snow. If I hadn't seen the show, I'd also think it 50/50 whether he's dead or not.

Sure, but I think the Red Woman being there had 95% of the people convinced that he was coming back, if I remember right, she is there in the books as well (and book readers were probably where a lot of the theories came from to begin with).  

Sure, but I think the Red Woman being there had 95% of the people convinced that he was coming back, if I remember right, she is there in the books as well.  
That and there was WAY too much stuff involving Jon going on for him to be dead. Hell, in the books the R+L=J thing was rather huge and we hadn't gotten that confirmed. So there was just way too much pointing to Jon not being dead even in a story that often kills off major characters without hesitation.

Question, does GRRM get as much money from this show since there aren't really any books left and they are winging it?  I just sort of wonder if he left some money on the table not writing a couple more volumes.

My one big gripe is about the crossbow.  There should have had to be something extra on the bolt (special poison, dragon glass, or made of valyrian steel).  It's not like there aren't cross bows, so not making a huge version of one would be beneath any normal thinking person.

Users who are viewing this thread