What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (8 Viewers)

Question, does GRRM get as much money from this show since there aren't really any books left and they are winging it?  I just sort of wonder if he left some money on the table not writing a couple more volumes.
Hell yea he does. He still owns the franchise, he didn't sell off complete rights to Warner Bros (HBO). Not that I know of anyway. Doesn't strike me as a guy that would.

Knowing what we know now, are there any untouchables through the end of the story?

If I had to bet my life's savings on which major characters are alive at the end I would say, in order of likelihood of survival when the final credits roll:

#1 is Sam Tarly (is Sam a "major"? Not sure.)

#2 Sansa

#3 Dany

#4 Jon

#5/6 Tyrion/Arya

#7/8 Littlefinger/Varys

#9 Bran

#10 Hotpie

My one big gripe is about the crossbow.  There should have had to be something extra on the bolt (special poison, dragon glass, or made of valyrian steel).  It's not like there aren't cross bows, so not making a huge version of one would be beneath any normal thinking person.
It would need to be a very special poison to have a reaction on something that big.  Valyrian steel is too expensive to use from a practical perspective.

Knowing what we know now, are there any untouchables through the end of the story?

If I had to bet my life's savings on which major characters are alive at the end I would say, in order of likelihood of survival when the final credits roll:

#2 Sansa

#3 Dany

#4 Jon

#5/6 Tyrion/Arya

#7/8 Littlefinger/Varys

#9 Bran

#10 Hotpie
If Jamie survives this as it appears he likely has, then I think he moves up into Tyrion/Arya range. 

#2 Sansa

#3 Dany

#4 Jon

#5/6 Tyrion/Arya

#7/8 Littlefinger/Varys

#9 Bran

#10 Hotpie
I think Sam is the most untouchable. 

My one big gripe is about the crossbow.  There should have had to be something extra on the bolt (special poison, dragon glass, or made of valyrian steel).  It's not like there aren't cross bows, so not making a huge version of one would be beneath any normal thinking person.
my "crossbow complaint": Bronn wasted a bolt on that Dothraki soldier. 

#2 Sansa

#3 Dany

#4 Jon

#5/6 Tyrion/Arya

#7/8 Littlefinger/Varys

#9 Bran

#10 Hotpie
Pretty good list.  Melisandre's comment to Varys earlier in the season is the only reason that I can think of why he may not make it.  I don't see Varys and LF both surviving.  They both represent different visions of the how this can play out, and the death of one character can be used as a metaphor for how the show ends.  Does "the realm" win in the end (Varys), or does some power-hungry monarch rule over the ashes (LF's MO, though not necessarily that LF himself would be that ruler)?  

The bolt had no stabilizers at all, no way it flies flat with any wind whatsoever.

Hell yea he does. He still owns the franchise, he didn't sell off complete rights to Warner Bros (HBO). Not that I know of anyway. Doesn't strike me as a guy that would.
Well I mean does it pay less that he didn't write the scripts here.

Why doesn't Cersei just take all that money and hire a team of Faceless Men to go kill Dany?  Hell, if some poor ### actress in Bravos could hire one... Cersei could get a bunch of them.

#2 Sansa

#3 Dany

#4 Jon

#5/6 Tyrion/Arya

#7/8 Littlefinger/Varys

#9 Bran

#10 Hotpie
Kind of surprised by this based on what we know about GRRM. I'd have Jon Snow EASILY as the number 1 seed when it comes to the end game survivors. Jon completely embodies his theory on war and what's to be gained and lost as a result.

I think Jon almost HAS to go the distance in order for the story to be told as it was intended.

I'd be shocked if Bran dies. I think everyone is fair game except for the new 3-eyed raven.
Arya's the only one I'd be really sad if they died. Not shocked necessarily, just unhappy. I'm trying to prepare myself for that eventuality.

I'm done guessing who's going to buy it though, or much of anything that will occur.

No way Littlefinger makes it through the season now that Bran pulled his skirt up with the "Chaos is a ladder" drop. That sealed his fate IMO. It's only a matter of when now.  

#2 Sansa

#3 Dany

#4 Jon

#5/6 Tyrion/Arya

#7/8 Littlefinger/Varys

#9 Bran

#10 Hotpie
Jon and Dany.  This is ultimately a love story, fire and ice.  All the others are expendable.  

Well I mean does it pay less that he didn't write the scripts here.
That im not sure about. Honestly I was still under the impression that he was involved as I don't believe the book series is finished. Cant imagine he'd want someone else deciding how the story was intended to end and why. It's his life's work, so I imagine it would be tough watching someone get it completely wrong and miss the point entirely.  

Are we sure that he's not involved at all? That's VERY disappointing if so.

No way Littlefinger makes it through the season now that Bran pulled his skirt up with the "Chaos is a ladder" drop. That sealed his fate IMO. It's only a matter of when now.  
I agree.  It is just a matter of who he takes out before he bites the big one.

Yea, just a matter of which Stark does it. I hope Bran wargs into a Raven and slowly eats his head

kind of an aside:  Theon shows up and is looking for Dany to help him get Yara back. is she really going to allocate resources, e.g. dragons, to help him out? is Jon gonna back off from the NK/Army Of Dead campaign and tell Dany to help him?  

Yup. You could see how pained Tyrion was watching everything unfold. Dinklage told us everything without saying hardly anything at all. He's a ridiculously talented guy.

And for a character who could've easily been a one-note villain type when he was first introduced Jamie has become an extremely fascinating and compelling character. 
When I was reading the books, I thought he was the most interesting character.  How could somebody so bad become somebody you root for?  And yet, here I was rooting for him.  

This season finishes off Littlefinger, ties a bow in the Theon/Greyjoy story, what if any future role Dorne has and ends with Jon and Dany fighting the battle of the White Walkers.

Next season most of the remaining Starks die in the game (battle) of the throne defeating all the remaining Lanisters.  Jon and Dany co-occupy the throne and their bedroom as foreshadowed by Jon not bending the knee.

Bran obviously plays a role in the White Walker battle, not sure he's needed for the final battle for the throne.  Bran is finished this season too so no more stuff n puff trees.

Arya, is needed for the the final battle for the throne as a mercenary.  She probably survives in the end next season, although I don't get all the love.  I find her kind of annoying.  

This season finishes off Littlefinger, ties a bow in the Theon/Greyjoy story, what if any future role Dorne has and ends with Jon and Dany fighting the battle of the White Walkers.

Next season most of the remaining Starks die in the game (battle) of the throne defeating all the remaining Lanisters.  Jon and Dany co-occupy the throne and their bedroom as foreshadowed by Jon not bending the knee.

Bran obviously plays a role in the White Walker battle, not sure he's needed for the final battle for the throne.  Bran is finished this season too so no more stuff n puff trees.

Arya, is needed for the the final battle for the throne as a mercenary.  She probably survives in the end next season, although I don't get all the love.  I find her kind of annoying.  
You know you can post all these in one post right? No need to pad your stats

How did the children of the forest originate?  Were they offspring of humans and did they not create the white walkers?  John Snow pointed out the cave drawings and said the children of the forest fought with humans against the white walkers.  Not sure why they created the white walkers

How did the children of the forest originate?  Were they offspring of humans and did they not create the white walkers?  John Snow pointed out the cave drawings and said the children of the forest fought with humans against the white walkers.  Not sure why they created the white walkers
Men moved to Westeros and began pushing children fo the forest out of their homeland. Started cutting down trees and ####. They weren't as technologically advanced as men, so they got sick of all that #### and created the white walkers to kick some human ###. Unforseen consequences and all

But those kind of curveballs are what really made this show great, right?

The story of a boy who was out for vengeance against a corrupt king that wrongly executed his father.  A boy who became king of the North, who built his forces and marched south for one last great batt.....Oh wait nevermind, he dead.

Some of the big plot points have become kind of predictable lately.  Everyone knew Jon Snow was going to get resurrected.  Everyone knew the Knights of the Vale were going to ride in at the last minute to save the day at BotB.  It would have been a neat little twist and in the show's character to guide Jamie towards redemption and the overwhelming prediction that he's going to kill Cersei, only to cut it short.

But yes, I agree, in the current show there is little chance Jamie is dead.  He will likely escape from the water off screen and continue down his path of redemption which ends with him killing Mad Queen Cersei, which will come as a complete shock to all the Noonan's out there that watch the show while playing Words With Friends.
Add to this, we're close to the endgame. There's 9 episodes left, so it's not like there's a lot of time to off every character that's going to die. I wouldn't be shocked to see a few big names go in the next few weeks, we're getting close to that time. 

Meh. Rivers are deep. Not generally 5 feet from the shore though
Exactly...how does a relatively narrow river running through open grassland get to be 15+ feet deep a yard from the bank? I've never seen such a thing IRL

It's nitpicking, but I think they could have done better there.

Users who are viewing this thread