What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread W9 - San Diego V Houston (1 Viewer)

Houston Defense finally getting some pressure on Rivers, forces a punt. Rivers has only had one incomplete pass so far and it was almost caught there. I think he's 10 for 11 or 11 for 12.

Hou TE James Casey gets his first catch of the year on 1st down. Nice to see him on the field.

Andre with a catch for 10 yards. Hou just threw on 1st down twice in a row. Runs it on the next for an 8 yard game.

Ryan Mathews to the locker room. No explanation given by the announcers. SD offense wasn't on the field at the time either so don't know if it's an injury or what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now Foster is the #1 player in fantasy football. Is there a single player you would trade him for at this point? Not me. Not this year.

If I'm Houston right now, I run Foster on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even 4th down. Just like Houston Def can't stop Rivers, the SD def doesn't have an answer for Foster.
I don't know how you can say that. He's had a number of carries today that did not result in a first down.

Right now Foster is the #1 player in fantasy football. Is there a single player you would trade him for at this point? Not me. Not this year.
No in one league he is only good player, it is a dynasty but no I wouldn't.A few moments ago he took handoff stopped let Burnett fly by then run for 7 yards. Amazing how at ease he is.

I don't know if I agree with Fouts on this one. This is a bit different from the Calvin Johnson play because Foster wasn't going to the ground as he caught it. He didn't start going to the ground until after he caught it.

Foster with a 3rd TD (receiving,) might get overturned though, similar to the week 1 Calvin Johnson TD that was overturned.

Does Norv Turner understand clock management. WTF is he going to do going to the locker room with those 3 timeouts. Why didn't he use them on defense to give Rivers and his offense a chance to get some of those points back.

San Diego is a debacle this year from all aspects.

I don't know if I agree with Fouts on this one. This is a bit different from the Calvin Johnson play because Foster wasn't going to the ground as he caught it. He didn't start going to the ground until after he caught it.
Well, the ref agrees with Fouts. That's a tough call to make, even with the benefit of replay.

I don't agree that by rule it wasn't a catch - he wasn't going down when he caught it, and the ball only hit the ground after he stumbled for a bit. What if he had stumbled for 10 yards, then the ball ht the ground and he lost it?

That rule has become so ridiculous it's makes me sick. Every Charger reacted like they knew it was a TD. At no point during the end of that play did anyone on the field believe that wasn't a TD.

So did this "rule" get instated at the beginning of this year or something? How come I never remember any BS like this happening before?

I don't agree that by rule it wasn't a catch - he wasn't going down when he caught it, and the ball only hit the ground after he stumbled for a bit. What if he had stumbled for 10 yards, then the ball ht the ground and he lost it?
Agree, and at what point is he no longer live to hit and jar the ball out? He had taken 2 steps into the end zone. If the ball isn't considered as having crossed the plane and he's "falling"....couldn't a defender come along and knock him out to knock the ball away?

:wub: That's a TD even with the rule. He got tripped up by a defender after he crossed the plane. He scored the TD and then went to the ground because the defender hit him late. Going to the ground wasn't an action in the catch.

Bullcarp a runningback can reach over the goalline and cross it, loss the ball during it and its call a TD. But u can't catch a ball with 2 feet down and 3 second later come down and the ball come out when your hand with the ball comes down and it an incomplete pass.. B.S. They need to change this crap..

So did this "rule" get instated at the beginning of this year or something? How come I never remember any BS like this happening before?
It happened several times last year, too. (Including a Louis Murphy overruled touchdown catch that benefited the Chargers.)

Bullcarp a runningback can reach over the goalline and cross it, loss the ball during it and its call a TD. But u can't catch a ball with 2 feet down and 3 second later come down and the ball come out when your hand with the ball comes down and it an incomplete pass.. B.S. They need to change this crap..
Running plays can't be incomplete passes, so that's the difference. I think the rule could stand some revision, but the rule would be even worse if it ended the play and awarded a touchdown to any receiver who gets two hands on the ball in the end zone. JMHO.

Serious question-we have seen players lose the ball after breaking the goal line and the play be considered a TD - what is the difference. Can you run the ball in and lose possesion and it is a TD?

Running plays can't be incomplete passes, so that's the difference. I think the rule could stand some revision, but the rule would be even worse if it ended the play and awarded a touchdown to any receiver who gets two hands on the ball in the end zone. JMHO.
Why? Do you have an aversion to consistency? There's not a single other situation in the NFL where a guy with possession of the football doesn't get the TD if he crosses the plane. It's a stupid rule. Get two feet down with control and you've caught the ball. End of story.

Serious question-we have seen players lose the ball after breaking the goal line and the play be considered a TD - what is the difference. Can you run the ball in and lose possesion and it is a TD?
No. On a running play, for example, the play is over the instant you break the plane, even if the ball is stripped away or dropped afterwards.

Can you run the ball in and lose possesion and it is a TD?
Yes. A run can't be an incomplete pass. As soon as the ball crosses the plane in the hands of a runner, it's a touchdown. But in order for it to be a touchdown on a passing play, not only does the ball have to cross the plane, but it also has to be a complete pass. Regardless of where the play occurs on the field, if a player is in the act of falling when he catches the ball, it's an incomplete pass unless he maintains control of the ball all the way through his fall.

Ignoramus said:
Why? Do you have an aversion to consistency? There's not a single other situation in the NFL where a guy with possession of the football doesn't get the TD if he crosses the plane. It's a stupid rule. Get two feet down with control and you've caught the ball. End of story.
Too bad the rules say something different.
I agree. The rules shouldn't.

jeez, foster takes a short pass on 3rd & 9, breaks a tackle for a for a first down and came very close to springing it wide open there.

Andre with a 17 yard leaping catch.

The reason the current rule is imperfect is that it doesn't fit with what everybody "just knows" to be a catch. It conflicts with our intuitions.An alternative rule that made a touchdown out of any play where a receiver had two feet down with the ball in his hands in the end zone would be at least as imperfect in that regard, IMO. There are a lot of plays that everybody "just knows" is an incomplete pass which that alternative rule would consider a completion instead.

A rule that conforms to people's intuitions (about what is a catch and what isn't) in all situations would be extremely difficult to draft. The current rule needs to be improved. But improving it will not be nearly as easy a job as many people think, IMO.

Foster with another 15 yard run breaking multiple tackles. Then a 2 yard gain. Foster has 22 for 122 rushing and 2 td's against the #2 rush defense coming into this game.

The Chargers have been pretty fortunate in the red zone on the last two Houston drives. They're down 9, but they could very easily be down 17.

Users who are viewing this thread