What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

gene upshaw passed away (1 Viewer)

waiver wire

Footballguy
just heard this on the radio

wow.

shocking very unexpected

he was a tremendous player in his time

best wishes to his family and friends

If true, this is far more newsworthy because Upshaw is the head of the NFLPA than for anything he did on the field.

If true, this is far more newsworthy because Upshaw is the head of the NFLPA than for anything he did on the field.
yeah i thought of that just didn't want to get into that topic right away but it does have huge ramifications for the league

After a Google news search, this is the only link I can find:

http://www.wgiram.com/cc-common/news/secti...article=4127682

Gene Upshaw Dies at 63

The longtime NFL Players Association executive director had been fighting pancreatic cancer.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sports Photos: Check out new pics of everything going on today in the world of sports!

Hall of Fame football player and longtime NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw has died, sources have told Clear Channel.

The offensive lineman had been fighting pancreatic cancer.

He was 63.

Upshaw played with Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders from 1967 until 1981. He was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and an 11-time All-Pro selection.

He also played on two Super Bowl-winning sides.

He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1987.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Raider fan for life this is really sad news. He was a great player and did a lot for the NFL and its players. He will be missed, and my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Could this be a hoax? Weird that nothing big has picked this up - the NBC link is just referencing the Clear Channel report.

Big time player who always looked intimidating with those arms wrapped up. One of the top O lineman the NFL has ever seen. As a non-Raider fan he always seemed to be a class act surrounded by a team-full of questionable characters.

This is much bigger news than many realize (if true because I find it very odd that the mainstream sites aren't reporting yet). He's run the show for the players for quite sometime and while the former players have some serious gripes with him the current players have made some serious financial strides under him. With some very important bargaining with the league on the near horizon this could potentially throw a big time wrench into those negotiations.

Last edited by a moderator:
:shock:

As a Steelers fan in the 70s I always hated the Raiders but Gene Upshaw was a heckuva player and a class individual.

RIP

From my understanding, Pancreatic is a very painful type of cancer to have. I am shocked that he was able to keep up with his duties as Nflpa head. Maybe the forced retirement thing was just a big coverup. RIP.

From my understanding, Pancreatic is a very painful type of cancer to have. I am shocked that he was able to keep up with his duties as Nflpa head. Maybe the forced retirement thing was just a big coverup. RIP.
I was thinking the same thing...if true, this could be the main reason there was dissention in the ranks of the NFLPA in regards to whether to replace him. Best wishes to those that were close to him.

I can't find this reported by anyone else.
Post Chronicle
Gene Upshaw's death has been confirmed. Gene Upshaw, the longtime NFLPA executive director and a Hall of Fame NFL football player,

has died of complications from Pancreatic Cancer.

Upshaw, a former 11-time All-Pro offensive lineman, had been fighting the disease and has now succumbed to it, according to recent reports.

Gene Upshaw, 63, was the longest-tenured labor leader in sports. He played with the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders from 1967 until 1981. He was a seven-time Pro Bowl selection and an 11-time All-Pro.

Here's hoping the report initial stories are referencing is not accurate.

In the minority, I've been a big fan of Upshaw's professionalism with the players union.

Wow. Sad and shocking news.

If he had cancer, I have to believe the NFL was aware and has a replacement ready.

If you ever saw him play, you'd know that that's a ridiculous statement, though I do agree that the immediate impact on the league from his death does come from his position with the NFLPA.

Very shocking. You have to wonder how this is going to affect the NFLPA and their bargaining. Also have to wonder whether Upshaw's insistence that nobody was in line to replace him was a lie or a huge mistake. Hopefully it was a lie for whatever reason and someone is there to step into his spot. If he really did insist that there not be a #2 guy because a #2 guy is always gunning for the #1 guy, then it was a huge egotistical mistake and may end up undoing everything that he accomplished as head of the NFLPA.

RIP Upshaw. Thoughts and prayers to his family. He certainly has had a huge impact on the game of pro football, both on and off the field.

Pancreatic Cancer is one of the most deadliest cancers there is and usually isn't found until it is to late to treat. So it doesn't surprise me we didn't know anything about it. My dad has been fighting it for 3 years now and he is in the 10% range of survivors after 1 year and then at 5 years its near impossible to survive. He's been on and off chemo for those 3 years.

It doesn't get the funding that it deserves.

For those of you in the Orlando area I hope a poker tournament each year to raise money and awareness for Pancreatic Cancer. Check it out http://www.allinforacurecharity.com/

A superb player; teamed up with Art Shell to anchor the Raiders line --- Amazing just to think about that for a second. It's a wonder anyone ever got past that side of the line.

Rest in Peace, Gene.

Sad day.

When I was 6 years old, I met him and got his autograph, at the time I was a huge Raider fan. The funny part of it was, I was with my grandpa and he told me "Hey, there's the NFL Commish Pete Rozelle having lunch with Gene Upshaw" so I went and got Genes autograph, he was very nice, I still have the autograph. Gene told me "You might want to get his autograph too, he's the commish of the NFL" and I was like "No thanks, just glad to get yours".

Pancreatic Cancer is one of the most deadliest cancers there is and usually isn't found until it is to late to treat. So it doesn't surprise me we didn't know anything about it. My dad has been fighting it for 3 years now and he is in the 10% range of survivors after 1 year and then at 5 years its near impossible to survive. He's been on and off chemo for those 3 years.

For those of you in the Orlando area I hope a poker tournament each year to raise money and awareness for Pancreatic Cancer. Check it out http://www.allinforacurecharity.com/
:D This is one of those cancers that you find out about because it's already spread, and it gives rise to those dreaded experiences of a "healthy" man entering a doctors office and leaving with a death sentence, being told they have weeks/months to live. It's an awful, awful disease.

Sad day. When I was 6 years old, I met him and got his autograph, at the time I was a huge Raider fan. The funny part of it was, I was with my grandpa and he told me "Hey, there's the NFL Commish Pete Rozelle having lunch with Gene Upshaw" so I went and got Genes autograph, he was very nice, I still have the autograph. Gene told me "You might want to get his autograph too, he's the commish of the NFL" and I was like "No thanks, just glad to get yours".
Rozelle: :D :lmao: Cool story.

I was thinking the same thing...if true, this could be the main reason there was dissention in the ranks of the NFLPA in regards to whether to replace him. Best wishes to those that were close to him.
What I can't believe is that it went unnoticed. I'd never heard he was suffering, and pancreatic cancer will just flat out wipe you out. My Brother-in-law died from that and, by the time he went, he was a shell of himself. Horrible way to go.

:unsure: This is one of those cancers that you find out about because it's already spread, and it gives rise to those dreaded experiences of a "healthy" man entering a doctors office and leaving with a death sentence, being told they have weeks/months to live. It's an awful, awful disease.
Having lost my father to this cancer. I can tell you that it moves really fast. I was lucky to see my father last 3 months before he passed away. As this cancer was very painful and unless you catch it very early which is very hard to do. Very very sad. RIP Mr. Upshaw :cry:

What I can't believe is that it went unnoticed. I'd never heard he was suffering, and pancreatic cancer will just flat out wipe you out. My Brother-in-law died from that and, by the time he went, he was a shell of himself. Horrible way to go.
Thing is we haven't really seen him in public the last couple months and I'm sure now his friends and such now see why they haven't seen him either...

Thing is we haven't really seen him in public the last couple months and I'm sure now his friends and such now see why they haven't seen him either...
The NFL's statement says, "Gene learned he was sick just this past Sunday".

:football: This is one of those cancers that you find out about because it's already spread, and it gives rise to those dreaded experiences of a "healthy" man entering a doctors office and leaving with a death sentence, being told they have weeks/months to live. It's an awful, awful disease.
Or a healthy woman, as was the case with my mom being diagnosed just 1 week after she'd been on a grueling 14-day canoe trip, seemingly healthy as could be. It was an awfully quick trip downhill from there. I would imagine this had some bearing on the NFLPA controversy although it is hard to know how much; people can literally die within a few weeks of diagnosis and so he might not have beeen diagnosed when some of this dissention began. It made more sense that dissention was about Upshaw's nearing the madatory retirement age. That said, his tough talk about seeing the NFLPA through the next set of talks could, in retrospect, have been more a pep talk for himself than what I perceived it to be in May.

Sadly, this is not uncommon for pancreatic cancer. A lot of people think it is just a bad ulcer when initial symptoms appear.

CletiusMaximus said:
RFFACommish said:
PatrickT said:
Sweet Love said:
cj* said:
Oh man.

BigJim® said:
CletiusMaximus said:
RFFACommish said:
PatrickT said:
Sweet Love said:
cj* said:
Sadly, this is not uncommon for pancreatic cancer. A lot of people think it is just a bad ulcer when initial symptoms appear.
My wife's grandmother died of pancreatic cancer like 3 weeks from diagnosis. She had gone to the doctor for a couple months prior complaining of general intestinal discomforts, and the doctor told her she was just lactose intolerant.

CletiusMaximus said:
Wow. It's only Thursday. That's so little time to prepare himself and his family for this.

CletiusMaximus said:
Wow. It's only Thursday. That's so little time to prepare himself and his family for this.
It's a sober reminder to always be ready. It's never too early to make sure you have a will put together and make sure that your family would be provided for if something happened to you.Even more importantly, cherish every moment that you have. You never truly know how much time you have left.

BigJim® said:
CletiusMaximus said:
RFFACommish said:
PatrickT said:
Sweet Love said:
cj* said:
My dad complained of pain for over a year before they finally found it. First they told him he was a diabetic but he never got better and so it went on and on...Like I said he was one of the lucky ones to be still alive after 3 years.

It is sad that it all happened so quickly. Pacreatic cancer is about the worst in terms of survival rates.

Though, I do think Matt Stover had a point earlier in the offseason when he suggested that the players association get a succession plan in place.

Users who are viewing this thread