What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Milley destroys Matt Gaetz in answering question about Critical Race Theory, “wokeness” and the military (1 Viewer)

No, none of that is correct.

Nancy Pelosi is SECOND IN THE LINE OF SUCCESSION to run this country.  She has a private conversation with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Of Staff. The discussion is taking the nuclear football away from the effective control of the then sitting POTUS.

Federal law enforcement and our military train under the scenario on if someone tries to take the nuclear football by force, or God forbid, what is the practical option tree if control of it is lost or, even worse, if the nuclear football is lost along with the sitting POTUS. It seems to elude you that these highly trained men would fight and die to the last bullet to protect the nuclear football, not just because it's their job and their duty, but because they will envision everyone they ever loved being incinerated in a potential nuclear holocaust.

There would be no peaceful way to "take" the nuclear football. It would have to be done by force. It would need to planned, well organized and have enough resources / manpower / assets to actually accomplish. It would violate the nation's entire history and tradition and function of the uniform chain of command. It would violate our Constitution. It would be, in effect, a pure coup d'etat.

It is all but impossible to convict someone of sedition in modern America and in modern American law, however this would be as much of a slam dunk for one, if there was enough evidence, as could ever be actually  conceived.

You literally walked past open sedition to get yourself another big helping of Orange Man Bad.

You seem to be missing the biggest question here, if Pelosi wanted to take away tactical control of America's vast nuclear arsenal from our then sitting Commander in Chief, then WHO EXACTLY WOULD HAVE CONTROL OVER THEM?

That person, or group, were not elected by the American people.

That person, or group, would not be subject to any types of Checks And Balances, nor oversight, nor any accountability.

That person, or group would have unthinkable overwhelming power not granted to them by our Constitution.

That person, or group could kill every last single living thing on the planet.

Nancy Pelosi is SECOND IN THE LINE OF SUCCESSION to run this country.  She has a private conversation with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Of Staff. The discussion is taking the nuclear football away from the effective control of the then sitting POTUS.
Except that was not the discussion. The "checks in the system" Milley cited have been in place long before Trump.

Woodward and Costa obtained a transcript of Pelosi's phone call to US Gen. Mark Milley, in which she said she wanted to know "what precautions are available to prevent an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or from accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike," the book said, according to The Post.

Milley told Pelosi that there were "a lot of checks in the system" to prevent Trump from going rogue, the book said.

Except that was not the discussion. The "checks in the system" Milley cited have been in place long before Trump.

Woodward and Costa obtained a transcript of Pelosi's phone call to US Gen. Mark Milley, in which she said she wanted to know "what precautions are available to prevent an unstable president from initiating military hostilities or from accessing the launch codes and ordering a nuclear strike," the book said, according to The Post.

Milley told Pelosi that there were "a lot of checks in the system" to prevent Trump from going rogue, the book said.
AND

Back to the topic if that is ok?

Pelosi is complicit. She called Milley to see what they could do. He told her, "we are Ok, it takes one person to order a nuclear strike, it takes several people to actually do it." 
Pretty damming.  

You serious

Clark

?  She asked. 

Hate to do a But Trump, but, there is a whole list of questions that people argue make him complicit. Some he got impeached for. 
She asked what protections were in place. Here's a quote from the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Trump, Gen. Hyten, long before Nancy had a conversation with Milley:

Gen Hyten argued that if a nuclear order was illegal, he wouldn't carry it out.

"If you execute an unlawful order, you will go to jail. You could go to jail for the rest of your life."

She asked what protections were in place. Here's a quote from the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Trump, Gen. Hyten, long before Nancy had a conversation with Milley:

Gen Hyten argued that if a nuclear order was illegal, he wouldn't carry it out.

"If you execute an unlawful order, you will go to jail. You could go to jail for the rest of your life."
You seem pretty pot committed. 

Let this marinate: Why does THE senior law maker have to ask someone else what legal actions are necessary?   Hint - the question wasn't about the legal.   

You seem pretty pot committed. 

Let this marinate: Why does THE senior law maker have to ask someone else what legal actions are necessary?   Hint - the question wasn't about the legal.   
Honestly, I'm really not that committed to this discussion. It just seems weird to me that GG (and now you) want to make Pelosi a villain here when there are so many of Trump's own people who were so concerned about his mental state that they went to the extremes that they did - legal or not. Milley, Esper, Miller, Hyten...all Trump people going to extremes to make sure he didn't do anything crazy. And it wasn't because Nancy asked if there were protections in place. She just shared the same concerns the others I mentioned did.

But you can attack Nancy if you want. Have a great night. 

Honestly, I'm really not that committed to this discussion. It just seems weird to me that GG (and now you) want to make Pelosi a villain here when there are so many of Trump's own people who were so concerned about his mental state that they went to the extremes that they did - legal or not. Milley, Esper, Miller, Hyten...all Trump people going to extremes to make sure he didn't do anything crazy. And it wasn't because Nancy asked if there were protections in place. She just shared the same concerns the others I mentioned did.

But you can attack Nancy if you want. Have a great night. 
I thought you might figure out a way to ignore my question.  Good night.

His call may have been routine, but what he said was treason.
He called them routine and within his duties and responsibilities.

Fox News go to retired general echoed this the other day. 

Milley and Austin will be in front of Congress at the end of the month so we’ll get more then.  That should be a good watch. 

Trump going to wish he didn’t get himself kicked off of Twitter  :lol:  

He called them routine and within his duties and responsibilities.

Fox News go to retired general echoed this the other day. 

Milley and Austin will be in front of Congress at the end of the month so we’ll get more then.  That should be a good watch. 

Trump going to wish he didn’t get himself kicked off of Twitter  :lol:  
Something can both be routine and treasonous. This bob Woodward guy sounds like he is willing to sensationalize statements.

If Milley said what was reported he did, he is done done. If this is another case of reporters and the WaPo posting non factual details, I wouldnt be shocked.

Something can both be routine and treasonous. This bob Woodward guy sounds like he is willing to sensationalize statements.

If Milley said what was reported he did, he is done done. If this is another case of reporters and the WaPo posting non factual details, I wouldnt be shocked.
Milley or anyone that gets to this position, are talented and very politically savvy. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t covered in what he was doing in this call. People do screw up and there were some unprecedented circumstances and actions going on with the losing Prez that had people on edge. We’ll see. 

Woodward def wants to sell some books.

Have you be reading the other bits they have released?

Woodward is about as trustworthy as you can get.

Milley or anyone that gets to this position, are talented and very politically savvy. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t covered in what he was doing in this call. People do screw up and there were some unprecedented circumstances and actions going on with the losing Prez that had people on edge. We’ll see. 

Woodward def wants to sell some books.

Have you be reading the other bits they have released?
The problem is that Generals arent supposed to be politically savvy. It's not in the job description and its probably a net negative as a general is supposed to be an advisor.

I haven't seen the other bits they have released. Anything good?

The problem is that Generals arent supposed to be politically savvy. It's not in the job description and its probably a net negative as a general is supposed to be an advisor.

I haven't seen the other bits they have released. Anything good?
Perhaps but that is beside the point to this call and it potentially being “treason”. I’d be surprised if it rises anywhere near that level based on this guy knowing what is and what isn’t within his role. We’ll see.

The are new blurbs coming out every day. Doesn’t paint a pretty picture of Trump’s last few months in the WH. 

Perhaps but that is beside the point to this call and it potentially being “treason”. I’d be surprised if it rises anywhere near that level based on this guy knowing what is and what isn’t within his role. We’ll see.

The are new blurbs coming out every day. Doesn’t paint a pretty picture of Trump’s last few months in the WH. 
That's not how this works. Rank in the military means something. Can any rank just decide their boss is incompetent and make calls on behalf of the country? Absolutely not.

Milley is in the chain of command. He needs to ring the bell the same as he would expect anyone under him to do. 

That's not how this works. Rank in the military means something. Can any rank just decide their boss is incompetent and make calls on behalf of the country? Absolutely not.

Milley is in the chain of command. He needs to ring the bell the same as he would expect anyone under him to do. 
This has a bit more complex than that. He didn't refuse a launch order. We weren't under imminent attack. Him calling the Chinese by all accounts isn't of bounds, telling the Chinese we aren't going to attack them in the circumstances that have been described isn't treason, not close.

We'll see what he says when he's in front of Congress. There is a lot of info to be filled out here. Will be very good TV.

This has a bit more complex than that. He didn't refuse a launch order. We weren't under imminent attack. Him calling the Chinese by all accounts isn't of bounds, telling the Chinese we aren't going to attack them in the circumstances that have been described isn't treason, not close.

We'll see what he says when he's in front of Congress. There is a lot of info to be filled out here. Will be very good TV.
He says we will notify them of any pending attack.  Will you say any and every member of the military should be allowed to do that to any country they deem?

Imo Milley is trash. Those standing up for him are equal trash.

Fox News has learned there were about 15 people present for the calls. Sources told Fox News that there were multiple notetakers present, and said the calls were both conducted with full knowledge of then-Defense Secretary Mark Esper and then-acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller – something Miller denied. 

He says we will notify them of any pending attack.  Will you say any and every member of the military should be allowed to do that to any country they deem?

I would be on board with treason if he actually carried this out. However all we have is him saying he would do it.

Maybe conspiracy to commit treason?

Tom Cotton

Retried Gen Jack Keane

We'll see what comes from him in front of Congress and how he answers pointed questions to get a clearer picture.

Right now we have excerpts from a book, which also paints a picture of a deranged President who was referring to the mobs in DC prior to Jan 6th as his power to keep the job, that Pence was actually considering options to not certify the election and calling people looking for permission to do it, that Trump wanted all troops removed from Afghanistan by Jan 15th, this is just a smattering of what I have seen. the book is like 600 pages :lol:

Tom Cotton

Retried Gen Jack Keane

We'll see what comes from him in front of Congress and how he answers pointed questions to get a clearer picture.

Right now we have excerpts from a book, which also paints a picture of a deranged President who was referring to the mobs in DC prior to Jan 6th as his power to keep the job, that Pence was actually considering options to not certify the election and calling people looking for permission to do it, that Trump wanted all troops removed from Afghanistan by Jan 15th, this is just a smattering of what I have seen. the book is like 600 pages :lol:
Someone pointed out Woodward is as trusted as they come.

Circumstances aside, if that quote was correct per Woodward, there isnt a set of circumstances that excuses it. Milley committed treason. 

Someone pointed out Woodward is as trusted as they come.

Circumstances aside, if that quote was correct per Woodward, there isnt a set of circumstances that excuses it. Milley committed treason. 
If everything he wrote is accurate I look forward to Milley explaining his actions. This is straight out of Tom Clancy or "Crimson Tide". Will be great theater.

Also if everything in this book is accurate Trump should be reviled by everyone in the country. 

If everything he wrote is accurate I look forward to Milley explaining his actions. This is straight out of Tom Clancy or "Crimson Tide". Will be great theater.

Also if everything in this book is accurate Trump should be reviled by everyone in the country. 
Trump did say this wasnt true. So I guess we'll see.

One thing I'll find very entertaining is having Trump's cabinet members explain why they felt these phone calls were needed. Under oath, on national tv. At least I hope its public.

We've been down this path already and it wasn't long ago, but it seems like we need a refresher on what treason is:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2381

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 807; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(2)(J), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

What a POS Milley is.  The guy lied multiple times about the “righteous strike” against ISIS-K.  Turns out he killed an aid worker and 7 children. They finally fessed up today, but only after the NY Times finally did some real reporting and published the truth.  

JAA said:
Woodward is about as trustworthy as you can get.
This is absolutely  not true.    Chris Christie was on fox yesterday  he said in Woodward last book he wrote about Christie  a completely  incorrect story about him.    Christie confronted Woodward, Woodward excuse was that the white house didn't give him permission  to call Christie.     Christie wasn't working for the white house hewas a private citizen.    

This is a great reporter?    Needs permission. 

This is why Christie doesn't  believe Milley did anything wrong and he will wait for the book.

The General said:
Milley wanted to keep his job and this was a loyalty oath to biden.    Don't tell me show me.   Milley showed him.   Then that white rage is some virtue signaling.

And since China is Biden's boss he needed to take a knee for them.

This is absolutely  not true.    Chris Christie was on fox yesterday  he said in Woodward last book he wrote about Christie  a completely  incorrect story about him.    Christie confronted Woodward, Woodward excuse was that the white house didn't give him permission  to call Christie.     Christie wasn't working for the white house hewas a private citizen.    

This is a great reporter?    Needs permission. 

This is why Christie doesn't  believe Milley did anything wrong and he will wait for the book.
So you are asking me to choose between the truthfulness of Woodward and Christie?

This is a joke right?

The Commish said:
We've been down this path already and it wasn't long ago, but it seems like we need a refresher on what treason is:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2381

Uhm...yeah.  Seems like what Miley did was treason.  From your own link too.  :lol:

Here's the relavant part in case you missed in your zeal to "educate":

"...adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason.."

I would say Miley giving them a phone call and saying, "if we attack, I'll let you know ahead of time" seems to be EXACTLY what treason is.

Uhm...yeah.  Seems like what Miley did was treason.  From your own link too.  :lol:

Here's the relavant part in case you missed in your zeal to "educate":

"...adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason.."

I would say Miley giving them a phone call and saying, "if we attack, I'll let you know ahead of time" seems to be EXACTLY what treason is.
Is China considered an enemy of the US?  How long have they been considered an enemy?

Both of Milley's calls seem to be on the up and up.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/17/politics/trump-defense-secretary-call-china-milley/index.html

there were 15 people on both videoconference calls Milley held with his Chinese counterpart, one on October 30 and another on January 8 -- including a representative from the State Department, according to a current defense official. Still, none of them were from the secretary of defense's office, the former US official said.

Multiple former US officials said there almost certainly was not a transcript of the call — just notes taken by staffers. Those notes, along with an official readout, were shared with the intelligence community and the interagency, according to the current defense official.

Milley giving his version of events leading up to this call will be great if he gets asked. Not sure what he can and can’t divulge. 

A politically savvy individual would through some back channels perhaps mention some areas of interest to a member of the Senate Committee that he is testifying to next week . 

Article II Section 2

Clause 1

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Article II Section 2

Clause 1

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.
I mean it really is this simple. People just want to put a pretty bow on treason. 

I mean it really is this simple. People just want to put a pretty bow on treason. 
You sure seem to be certain of exactly who did what, when no one else seems to be.  This is a pattern for you (and lots of people).  When you hear something that agrees with your preconceived biases, you don't really treat it with skepticism (see: smoke re: election "shenanigans").  When you hear something that doesn't, you go to great lengths to question it, often outright discarding mountains of evidence (see: vaccine safety).

You sure seem to be certain of exactly who did what, when no one else seems to be.  This is a pattern for you (and lots of people).  When you hear something that agrees with your preconceived biases, you don't really treat it with skepticism (see: smoke re: election "shenanigans").  When you hear something that doesn't, you go to great lengths to question it, often outright discarding mountains of evidence (see: vaccine safety).
We've all seen the quote. Milley hasn't denied the quote. People want to say the context of call is within scope of his duties, which I wont argue.  What was quoted is treason. 

Users who are viewing this thread