What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza - Whoa oh ohhh, Listen to the music (1 Viewer)

34. Flogging Molly "Drunken Lullabyes"- Drinking Song

A local Southern Cal version of the Pogues. The "Molly" refers to the Irish bar, Molly Malone's, on Fairfax which I've been to many times.
Their concerts were awesome back in aughts. So much fun.

40. Moby- "Natural Blues"- Synth pop

Is this considered Synth pop? I hope so. I'm not a huge fan of this type of music, but on this song Moby took Vera Hall's classic "Trouble So Hard" and added a dance beat, and damn it works well.

41. The Assembly- "Never Never"- Synth-pop

So this band was kind of the "Blind Faith" of Synth-pop, a short lived supergroup featuring Vince Clarke and Eric Radcliffe. Not my kind of thing, but on this song they got Fearghal Sharkey (former lead singer of the Undertones) whom I love for guest vocals, and an incredibly catchy melody, and it works great.

42. Machine Gun Kelly- "Bad Things"- Top Ten

Another song that my daughters got me into and I can't get it out of my head. Scars on my body and all that...

37. The La's- "There She Goes"- Power Pop

Really the perfect power pop song- defines the genre, IMO.
One of my favorite songs. Ever. The La's were quite the band, the La's album quite the album. It's too bad Lee Mavers never got right, or they might have been bigger than Oasis, and deservedly so.  

47. Jason Derulo & Nicki Minaj- "Swalla"- Top Ten

So this is a bit of a cheat, since it's not top 10 in America quite yet (#6 in England). It soon will be though. Shimmy shimmy shay shimmy shay shimmy ya!

It's Canada Day weekend and the majority of the country (bank, government etc...) takes the Monday as the holiday, but for some reason my employer gave us today instead. So now I'm off while everyone is at work and then on Monday I'm working and everyone I need to see will be off. 

Maybe I should fire up that emo playlist :violin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll ask here, seems as good a place as any. 

I went to youtube to listen to Queen's Bicycle, but got some crappy plonsters (WTF?) and This dreck 

First, WTF is plonster?  Second, why no Queen?  The chick song is kinda catchy, no double ent-Andres there.  

Friend of mine suggested I check out Sarah Shook and the Disarmers

Best recommendation I've received in ages. Miss Sarah fronts her band fantastically and she reels you in instantly, and damn this band is strong.

Do I owe pick? <== Rhetorical question       Hope Riot Grrl is a category I owe.

ETA: @rockaction

ETA2: She's channeling @wikkidpissah The Things We Were Taught Are Too Small
She's awesome, but the tattoos visually get to me. Yeah, I'm that guy. Demarcated bodies freak me out.  

Friend of mine suggested I check out Sarah Shook and the Disarmers

Best recommendation I've received in ages. Miss Sarah fronts her band fantastically and she reels you in instantly, and damn this band is strong.

Do I owe pick? <== Rhetorical question       Hope Riot Grrl is a category I owe.

ETA: @rockaction

ETA2: She's channeling @wikkidpissah The Things We Were Taught Are Too Small
closest human equivalent to a wire-haired chihuahua i've seen, but she Shook me up IAGW

ETA: i dated a Shook in Reno about this'n's age ago, so i looked her up, jic. nope....

I don't know. She seemed like she was. All I know is the composite was on our wall. 

:shrugs: 

eta* It was a girlfriend of mine, not me.  

When I think of squeezebox, I instantly think of Franz Nicolay (The Hold Steady)  but then when I listen to their songs, it doesn't really stand out too often, so I didn't pick them. Great fun live though, glad he's back with them.

So have people been listening to the playlists? What's the thought? 

I may dive into the punk list soon and give some thoughts. 

And when is the next draft? JML said he had a trilogy -- I'd be interested in hearing what it is, though I might be tapped out here.  

When I think of squeezebox, I instantly think of Franz Nicolay (The Hold Steady)  but then when I listen to their songs, it doesn't really stand out too often, so I didn't pick them. Great fun live though, glad he's back with them.
Did not realize the bolded part.  Awesome - loved them more when he was there with the keys to round out he sound.  Obviously, I have not been paying attention - that happened back in 2016.

So have people been listening to the playlists? What's the thought? 

I may dive into the punk list soon and give some thoughts. 

And when is the next draft? JML said he had a trilogy -- I'd be interested in hearing what it is, though I might be tapped out here.  
Fingers crossed I should be starting a thread tomorrow. Much shorter draft. desert Island format. Part 1 of the ultimate rock n roll trilogy. Format of categories will need to be decided, but I have a good starting point. I would imagine only 12 to 14 rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread