What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza - Whoa oh ohhh, Listen to the music (1 Viewer)

The Shins - Simple Song - Power Pop
Another one ST definitely saw this weekend. My friend who was at WayHome with us had the Shins as his #1 highlight of the weekend. He mixed whiskey and beer all day on Friday before the Shins, so after seeing Foster the People (who ST and I both skipped in favour of Cage the Elephant and Polica respectively and hence were seperated from my friend), he went back to the campsite to get an advil, decided to lay down for a minute and proceeded to miss all of The Shins and later on Justice :( :lmao:

Another one ST definitely saw this weekend. My friend who was at WayHome with us had the Shins as his #1 highlight of the weekend. He mixed whiskey and beer all day on Friday before the Shins, so after seeing Foster the People (who ST and I both skipped in favour of Cage the Elephant and Polica respectively and hence were seperated from my friend), he went back to the campsite to get an advil, decided to lay down for a minute and proceeded to miss all of The Shins and later on Justice :( :lmao:
I was really impressed with The Shins.  Not that I expected them to be bad, but I only know a handful of their songs and wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.  They've always struck me as being one of those bands that I've written off as "too folky" for me to really enjoy.

Justice was the best show of the weekend and legitimately one of the best shows I've ever seen, period.

You've got the "Cage/Polica respectively" backwards though; either you and I should be flipped or Cage/Polica should be flipped.  Grammar police.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really impressed with The Shins.  Not that I expected them to be bad, but I only know a handful of their songs and wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.  They've always struck me as being one of those bands that I've written off as "too folky" for me to really enjoy.

Justice was the best show of the weekend and legitimately one of the best shows I've ever seen, period.
I'm really looking forward to seeing The Shins and Spoon in SD on Oct. 1st. I love Spoon and really enjoy The Shins' first two albums.

Justice was very cool back in the aughts, IIRC. Are we talking about the French techno/house duo?

rockaction said:
I'd love to meet up with the folks from this and other drafts, but Nashville is a tall order for us West Coasters. Maybe the Tennesseeans can, um, volunteer.
Yeah, I get that. It would be about a 15 hour drive for me as well, but I think I want to do it at least once and probably the sooner the better. I was likely in the top 5% (maybe higher) age wise last weekend. I know Bonnaroo skews older, but still.

Steve Tasker said:

You've got the "Cage/Polica respectively" backwards though; either you and I should be flipped or Cage/Polica should be flipped.  Grammar police.
Justice was amazing for sure. 

Cage the Elephant might have been my overall favourite set. Their frontman is super engaging and high energy and got me way into it.

I was also really loving the Darcy's. They just seemed so perfect for that mid afternoon in the beaming sun time slot they were in. It would be in my top 5 for the weekend, as would The Shins.

I was surprised how much I liked Vance Joy. Again, very engaging guy with lots of singalongs.

PUP was great with the moshing and him climbing up the top of the stage was something you can't really see when you catch them in a tiny club.

Royal Blood were super tight, energetic and fun as well.

The two that were a bit underwhelming, maybe due to my expectations were Death From Above - didn't compare to Royal Blood, didn't play all the hits, not super engaging IMO. Also found Car Seat Headrest a little low energy, which I know is kind of their shtick, but it was still a super set. A better setlist and a quicker take on some songs would have gone a long way.

I'm regretting leaving Frank Ocean early. I would have really liked to have seen Pyramids but I didn't expect him to play it and so many other people were leaving, it took me out of it.

rockaction said:
I'm really looking forward to seeing The Shins and Spoon in SD on Oct. 1st. I love Spoon and really enjoy The Shins' first two albums.

Justice was very cool back in the aughts, IIRC. Are we talking about the French techno/house duo?
I saw Spoon last week (not at the festival), you won't be disappointed. Shins play a lot from the first two albums still in their setlist. Spoon didn't play anything from Kill the Moonlight the night I saw them. :(

Also, yeah the same Justice you're talking about. They were the best visuals and most entertaining "show" of the weekend without a doubt.

Also, we've alluded to it in here in a mostly jokey way, but Imagine Dragons actually were shockingly good/fun/engaging/inspiring? Their lead singer really knows how to work a crowd and at least plays the part of an extremely happy dude.

The two that were a bit underwhelming, maybe due to my expectations were Death From Above - didn't compare to Royal Blood, didn't play all the hits, not super engaging IMO. Also found Car Seat Headrest a little low energy, which I know is kind of their shtick, but it was still a super set. A better setlist and a quicker take on some songs would have gone a long way.
These were my rankings that I posted on a different board:

1. Justice - A+:  amazing, one of the best shows I've ever seen
  2. PUP - A: second time seeing them, great moshing show, crowd was wild
  3. Banks - A:   :wub:  
  4. Polica - A-: extremely unique, replicated the studio sound very well, helped that I was front and center
  5. Imagine Dragons - A-:  very polished arena rock with tons of singalong hits, good energy, great rapport with the crowd
  6. Jagwar Ma - A-:  Could've been possibly the 2nd best set if they had more time, they were just hitting a groove when their set ended, you could tell they were really getting into it
  7. The Shins - B+:  professional and strong throughout.  Really enjoyable
  8. The Dirty Nil - B/B+:  wish their set was longer, solid rock n roll
  9. Royal Blood - B: I kinda expected more from such a hype band.  Short set and brutal heat mitigated it, would've been a great late-night act.  Still on the average one of the better shows, I was just expecting something incredible, I think.
  10. Dashboard Confessional - B:  Pure nostalgia.  Sounded great, crowd was full of people my age.  Everyone knew the words to "Screaming Infidelities", "Hands Down", and "Vindicated", and they covered The Cure.  What more do you need?
  11. Darcys - B:  Seen these guys a few times now, really good show, wish it was at night though
  12. Constantines - B:  Rocked pretty hard even though I didn't know the songs.
  13. Car Seat Headrest - B-:  They sounded good but ultimately a little slow
  14. Phantogram - B-:  Sounded fine, but very rigid and rehearsed.  Not unexpected.
  15. Noname - B-:  She was fine, I'd see her again, but it wasn't one of the best shows of the weekend.
  16. Mitski - C+:  Very low energy.  Played the hits but didn't do much other than just stand there playing guitar.
  17. Death from Above 1979 - C+:  Disappointment of the festival.  Looked like they totally weren't into it, unfortunately
  18. Frank Ocean - C:  I'm giving him a C because his voice sounded fantastic and it was a unique setup on-stage with the band and his screens and camerawork.  That said, it was way too slow for a festival and he kept restarting songs.  I know that's his shtick and I expected it, but it was just a snoozer overall.  I've seen him twice now and this was basically the same thing as last time except with a better stage setup.  Reception is split on this, some people seemed to love it, others didn't.  I'm sure his fans loved it, but I'm just not a huge fan of his music as it's often way, way too slow for me to get into.
Also saw parts of Hundred Waters, The Naked and Famous, and Tegan & Sara but not enough to rank them.

I can't remember why I missed Constantines. I guess it was crossover with Haerts, San Fermin and The Naked and Famous though in that jumbled up mess of a Friday. 

I may do a similar ranking/review - likely over the weekend. As I remember them now though, San Fermin were definitely an early highlight for me.

I thought you guys would be a good pool for this question: 

What are some EPs that have turned in to full albums? Like when a band releases a preview of an album before the full one. I know some punk ones, but looking for other genres. The EP and Full album need to be different names. 

And/or double release albums. Like when Waits releases Alice the same day as Blood Money. That would work for what I'm doing as well. 

What are some EPs that have turned in to full albums? Like when a band releases a preview of an album before the full one. I know some punk ones, but looking for other genres. The EP and Full album need to be different names. 

And/or double release albums. Like when Waits releases Alice the same day as Blood Money. That would work for what I'm doing as well. 
Does every song on the EP have to end up on the full album?  

ETA - Beach House released 2 totally distinct full LPs within 6 weeks of each other back in 2015 - Depression Cherry on 8/28/2015 and Thank Your Lucky Stars on 10/16/2015, but I'm not sure if that works for what you're looking for.

Islands released Touch and Should I Remain Here at Sea on the same day last year. 

Tokyo Police Club released Melon Collie and the Infinte Radness parts 1 and 2 and individual EP's, then released album of the same name that was just the two EP's combined.

Robyn did the same with Body Talk pt 1 and 2, then released them combined as an album.

I assume you already have Lucky Town/Human Touch which were released on the same day by Bruce Springsteen,

Islands released Touch and Should I Remain Here at Sea on the same day last year. 

Tokyo Police Club released Melon Collie and the Infinte Radness parts 1 and 2 and individual EP's, then released album of the same name that was just the two EP's combined.

Robyn did the same with Body Talk pt 1 and 2, then released them combined as an album.

I assume you already have Lucky Town/Human Touch which were released on the same day by Bruce Springsteen,
Awesome nothing! That Bruce one might work. 

Wasn't GnR Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 released on the same day?

Prince just recently release Art Official Age and PlectrumElectrum on the same day as well. 

Hey guys, just checking in. That punk list never got curated because there were like three repeating lists before we got to the rest of the songs. 

That said, I'm really checking in to wonder if we're doing a new draft. I was listening to some stuff culled from drafts from other people and stuff I remember drafting, and I'm sorta in regardless of the format. 

I'd love GPII, but I'm worried it'll be more like Jaws 2 or Rocky 2 or something like that than a great draft. 

Sequels scare me. Then again, prequels scare me more.  

Hey guys, just checking in. That punk list never got curated because there were like three repeating lists before we got to the rest of the songs. 

That said, I'm really checking in to wonder if we're doing a new draft. I was listening to some stuff culled from drafts from other people and stuff I remember drafting, and I'm sorta in regardless of the format. 

I'd love GPII, but I'm worried it'll be more like Jaws 2 or Rocky 2 or something like that than a great draft. 

Sequels scare me. Then again, prequels scare me more.  
But it wouldn't be a true sequel because I am guessing that we would have 30 new genres to draft from.  It would be scary to use the same list of genres. 

But it wouldn't be a true sequel because I am guessing that we would have 30 new genres to draft from.  It would be scary to use the same list of genres. 
True. Would it be more like Naked Gun 33 1/3? 

Regardless, if I had a good idea for drafting, I'd go ahead and run it and commish it, but I don't, so...

hopefully this is not falling upon deaf ears {ahem @KarmaPolice, ahem @Eephus, ahem @John Maddens Lunchbox}

I was going to offer to start one, and could do GP2, but I am a tad busier with school and soccer starting up, and then will be gone for about a week at the end of Sept. for a wedding.  If something hasn't started after that, I would get something going. 

I was going to offer to start one, and could do GP2, but I am a tad busier with school and soccer starting up, and then will be gone for about a week at the end of Sept. for a wedding.  If something hasn't started after that, I would get something going. 
I probably could also commish or assist with commishing GPII, but I was thinking of original concepts when I wrote those lines. Either way, a movement towards a draft of sorts would be welcome in the forum again. I'm treading in the sub-forum way too much; my real passion lies here.  

Users who are viewing this thread