What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Girl Scout Cookies (1 Viewer)

$4/bx they can kiss my lilly white. . .well maybe I shouldn't use that euphemism with the girl scouts but between this and the $20 bags of popcorn the boy scouts sell it's a rip. You get about 6 cookies and two handfuls of popcorn, screw em.

$4/bx they can kiss my lilly white. . .well maybe I shouldn't use that euphemism with the girl scouts but between this and the $20 bags of popcorn the boy scouts sell it's a rip. You get about 6 cookies and two handfuls of popcorn, screw em.
At least you get a little something from the cookies - and you're only out $4. The Boy Scouts though...the wreaths and popcorn are a friggin rip. I've tried talking our boy scout nazi lady into considering switching to candy bars instead of that horrid popcorn. I told her that you could get a lot more customers with the [much] lower cost, and probably come out way above what you'd get selling popcorn. She looked at me like I was from Mars.

I don't like the fact that they are obligated or they get kicked out.
If a girl scout chooses not to participate in selling cookies, they get kicked out of girl scouts? Seriously?
Yep, that's what they said in no uncertain terms. I had to provide my drivers license on a contract that owned up to at least 2 two hour cookie booths at the local supermarket. If we flake out, we're kicked out, simple as that. And they are serious as death.I'm exhausted and my wife just took the 2 girls to a Friday Night girls scout pep rally to kick off the cookie selling season. "rah rah, sell mortimer sell!!!!" type stuff.I told my wife that there was no way in hell I was going. Isn't it punishment enough to have to attend 2 arts and crafts meetings followed by "I'm a little brownie, here is my smile" song that they do in their little circle. :XIf I had to do that tonight, I'd turn in my man card, or what's left of it.

At least you get a little something from the cookies - and you're only out $4. The Boy Scouts though...the wreaths and popcorn are a friggin rip. I've tried talking our boy scout nazi lady into considering switching to candy bars instead of that horrid popcorn. I told her that you could get a lot more customers with the [much] lower cost, and probably come out way above what you'd get selling popcorn. She looked at me like I was from Mars.
from here?

The Boy Scouts get a pretty high percentage back on each popcorn item. We steered people towards the microwave popcorn boxes instead of the bags of caramel corn. it is $1 per bag ( $18) for the box and the whole bag pops - very few unpopped kernels.We tried to sign my daughter up for Girl Scouts this year, but were told there was a shortage of leaders and she was put on a wait list. A few weeks ago we get an invite to a "wait listed" girls only event where they could earn their first badge. The letter said there was still no troops but we were encouraged to pay the full registration fee and sell cookies in the meantime. I don't think this letter had the intended effect, unless they wanted me to have her start piano lessons instead.

Word is they make Samoas in 2 different factories. Someone mentioned that in here.

So I think for the first time ever I had Samoas from the other factory. The ones I always have are in clear plastic. This box I just saw had foil. They were slightly lighter in color and seemed to contain more caramel and coconut, less cookie. I like them better than the ones in the clear plastic I've been having all these years.

If you live near a Publix, and love Thin Mints - they have a Publix brand Mint-Chocolate (square) cookie (kind of like a graham square) that I swear is identical to Thin Mints - same cookie with a chocolate coating.

It's crack - buyer beware.

Thin mints are da bomb frozen! Price is up to $5 from $4, but only for N. CA. So if you are S. CA you can still get them for $4! Can't figure out the lousy reasoning!

Few things in life give me more pleasure than opening a sleeve of frozen Thin Mints with a tall glass of milk at 11am during the opening tip off the first Thursday of March Madness. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

Vike Me said:
They're back... Can I just give them $50 for a badge I can wear so that they'll leave me alone.
Could make a killing in my building. Two 50 story towers and nobody knows a GS. My neighbor was so desperate she sent $100 off to a FoaFoaF's niece in MN. Pretty sure she'll be dealing grey market cookies when her order arrives.

PMs open if you know a GS in the metropolitan area.

Thin mints are da bomb frozen! Price is up to $5 from $4, but only for N. CA. So if you are S. CA you can still get them for $4! Can't figure out the lousy reasoning!
They are $4 here in NJ, but a friend of mine was getting them for $3.50 in Georgia. Go figure they use regional pricing.

They are $4 here in NJ, but a friend of mine was getting them for $3.50 in Georgia. Go figure they use regional pricing.
Some folks here in N Ca may decide it's not worth $5 a box. A couple years ago it was $3.50 here then last year went to $4. If the $1 increase discourages purchasers who would otherwise buy, I feel bad for the scouts.

i mean, wtf
i was in target today and spotted that they now sell girl scout cookie products (deodorant, shampoo, etc.) and didn’t buy any :unsure:

i mean, wtf
i was in target today and spotted that they now sell girl scout cookie products (deodorant, shampoo, etc.) and didn’t buy any :unsure:

Ironic as Target does not allow outside groups like Girl Scouts to sell on their premises.

Last edited:
A few years ago my daughter was in the girl scouts for a couple of years and I was the cookie mom. Basically I had to order all the cookies for our troop and then deliver them to each member. We had a large troop and had close to 200 cases of girl scout cookies in my basement at this time each year. I don't miss those days.

Proud dad brag coming:

My daughter joined the scouts last year and this was her troop's first year selling cookies. I told her if she wanted to do it, we'd go around the neighborhood and to church, and she could decide how many was enough/when to stop, but I'm not fronting the money for hundreds of boxes and staking out a spot outside of Walmart to hassle grocery shoppers. Let's go practice some sales skills and earn those badges.

She is the only one in her troop that can say she interacted with every single person she sold to. One girl never sold a single box, her mom posted the online store link on facebook and they sold ~100 boxes and called it a day. 3 of the moms (and their girls) each fronted $ for 600 boxes total and spent 5 hours on a Saturday outside of Sam's Club. So many ladies/moms that we met and sold to just raved about how when they were a scout this was how they did it, door to door, they didn't set up booths, and to please be sure to go to X house over there because that mom used to be a scout and would love to have one come by and would buy a bunch. We had some folks that refused the cookies but donated $/boxes just to support her. One lady handed her a crisp $100 bill and said "I'm diabetic, donate them all, and be sure to come by for any future fundraisers". One lady had recently lost a teenage daughter to a car wreck, and her daughter was a scout and sold them, and she broke down crying and hugged my daughter and bought 30 boxes and begged us to come back every year.

We spent the better part of four weekends selling and delivering, but we had a blast, she gained some confidence in speaking with strangers, gained some organizational skills because she kept the tally sheet and kept track of payments/delivered status/etc. She got a million "atta-girls" from the people we sold to, and she picked up some prizes along the way for hitting and then resetting her sales goals. I know it's not a ton, but she sold just shy of 500 boxes, the highest # in her troop, and she couldn't be more proud of herself. She beamed everytime someone would ask "how many have you sold so far?" to be able to say she was her troop's top seller. So thanks to all of you for buying cookies, and for sacrificing your diets. It can mean an awful lot to the girls.

Proud dad brag coming:

My daughter joined the scouts last year and this was her troop's first year selling cookies. I told her if she wanted to do it, we'd go around the neighborhood and to church, and she could decide how many was enough/when to stop, but I'm not fronting the money for hundreds of boxes and staking out a spot outside of Walmart to hassle grocery shoppers. Let's go practice some sales skills and earn those badges.

She is the only one in her troop that can say she interacted with every single person she sold to. One girl never sold a single box, her mom posted the online store link on facebook and they sold ~100 boxes and called it a day. 3 of the moms (and their girls) each fronted $ for 600 boxes total and spent 5 hours on a Saturday outside of Sam's Club. So many ladies/moms that we met and sold to just raved about how when they were a scout this was how they did it, door to door, they didn't set up booths, and to please be sure to go to X house over there because that mom used to be a scout and would love to have one come by and would buy a bunch. We had some folks that refused the cookies but donated $/boxes just to support her. One lady handed her a crisp $100 bill and said "I'm diabetic, donate them all, and be sure to come by for any future fundraisers". One lady had recently lost a teenage daughter to a car wreck, and her daughter was a scout and sold them, and she broke down crying and hugged my daughter and bought 30 boxes and begged us to come back every year.

We spent the better part of four weekends selling and delivering, but we had a blast, she gained some confidence in speaking with strangers, gained some organizational skills because she kept the tally sheet and kept track of payments/delivered status/etc. She got a million "atta-girls" from the people we sold to, and she picked up some prizes along the way for hitting and then resetting her sales goals. I know it's not a ton, but she sold just shy of 500 boxes, the highest # in her troop, and she couldn't be more proud of herself. She beamed everytime someone would ask "how many have you sold so far?" to be able to say she was her troop's top seller. So thanks to all of you for buying cookies, and for sacrificing your diets. It can mean an awful lot to the girls.
Mr R is an Eagle Scout. Way to go, Dad and Daughter! I'm proud of her, and I don't even know her.

Proud dad brag coming:

That's awesome. I have no problem walking right by every single booth outside a store and ignoring emails from parents I barely know, but I'm a sucker for any kid who is putting in the effort to go door to door.

Proud dad brag coming:

That's great! Tell her from someone who set Scout Show Ticket records every year for my troop (and later on Band Candle records in high school), that she's doing this in the exact right way. Setup a sales area, start at one end and go street to street and door to door. Be polite, be confident, and most importantly be just as nice if they say no. My mom used to drive me to a street, park, and let me work both sides while she sat in the car, then picked me up and took me to the next street on the list. We would crush it!

Super job on your daughter's part (and yours as well for supporting her), I don't even know your daughter and I'm proud of her!

Signed, an Eagle Scout.

Last edited:
Proud dad brag coming:

Last year i think we sold 10 boxes :lol:

This year my daughter and son are both in cub scouts, although sadly you cannot donate directly to your troop/pack. They make you sell popcorn and the popcorn company takes a 30% cut and then the central boyscout takes a big cut for their "lawsuits". So we sold 4 boxes of popcorn. I don't want to raise money for executives and past lawsuits.

I wish i could just donate money to kids activities.

Proud dad brag coming:

This year my daughter and son are both in cub scouts, although sadly you cannot donate directly to your troop/pack. They make you sell popcorn and the popcorn company takes a 30% cut and then the central boyscout takes a big cut for their "lawsuits". So we sold 4 boxes of popcorn.

I wish i could just donate money to kids activities :thumbdown:
And Girl Scout cookies prices are a bit marked up, but reasonable. Boy Scout popcorn prices are unreasonably high for what you are getting.

Proud dad brag coming:

This year my daughter and son are both in cub scouts, although sadly you cannot donate directly to your troop/pack. They make you sell popcorn and the popcorn company takes a 30% cut and then the central boyscout takes a big cut for their "lawsuits". So we sold 4 boxes of popcorn. I don't want to raise money for executives and past lawsuits.

Our troop found ways to accept direct donations and always put the portion of the popcorn sales that made it back to us directly in that scouts “account” to pay for activities. We used other fundraisers to pay for troop expenses.

Proud dad brag coming:

Our troop found ways to accept direct donations and always put the portion of the popcorn sales that made it back to us directly in that scouts “account” to pay for activities. We used other fundraisers to pay for troop expenses.

I wish that was the case here. Who turns down donations of money.

Girl Scout cookies prices are a bit marked up, but reasonable. Boy Scout popcorn prices are unreasonably high for what you are getting.
Locally 6 bucks for a box of cookies and 20 bucks for the popcorn. The latter seems like an awfully high price by comparison.

wish i could just donate money to kids activities
Me too. Same goes for schools. We recently ordered a small bag of chocolate covered pretzels and a smaller can of nonpareils for like $30 🙄
I donate cash instead of buying stuff.
Not allowed.
Any donations are used to purchase popcorn and then the popcorn is donated, still going to popcorn exec's pockets.
I think if you are doing online or paper form, there is no real way around that, but whenever we did a “live” sale (popcorn table outside grocery store, candy bars outside church, bake table at fish fry, salsa, meat sticks whatever) we always made darn sure there was a bucket (usually repurposed Folger’s coffee tub) where donations could “fall” in.

And some scout leadership is way more “letter of the law” than “spirit of the law”. I feel fortunate that my son’s troop was way more laid back in that regard, though it is nice to have one or two of those folks that seem to love forms and paperwork around to deal with the district, council, and national bureaucracy.

wish i could just donate money to kids activities
Me too. Same goes for schools. We recently ordered a small bag of chocolate covered pretzels and a smaller can of nonpareils for like $30 🙄
I donate cash instead of buying stuff.
Not allowed.
Any donations are used to purchase popcorn and then the popcorn is donated, still going to popcorn exec's pockets.
I think if you are doing online or paper form, there is no real way around that, but whenever we did a “live” sale (popcorn table outside grocery store, candy bars outside church, bake table at fish fry, salsa, meat sticks whatever) we always made darn sure there was a bucket (usually repurposed Folger’s coffee tub) where donations could “fall” in.

And some scout leadership is way more “letter of the law” than “spirit of the law”. I feel fortunate that my son’s troop was way more laid back in that regard, though it is nice to have one or two of those folks that seem to love forms and paperwork around to deal with the district, council, and national bureaucracy.

It was our first year in and the troop leader was pretty adamant about that fact this year, we will see next year. I would give a couple hundred bucks if i knew everything was going to supplies for the troop.

Proud dad brag coming:

That's awesome. I have no problem walking right by every single booth outside a store and ignoring emails from parents I barely know, but I'm a sucker for any kid who is putting in the effort to go door to door.
Same. I just give the cookies away. They’re SOOOOOOOO sweet now. Not that great imho

Users who are viewing this thread