What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (13 Viewers)

I thought Denver was pricey for car rentals (potheads).  I got a RAV-4 for a week through Alamo for $395.  

My Vegas car rental is dirt cheap.  Elantra for $25 a day. Also through Alamo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this on the kids thread... but still laughing about it.

10yo floppinho discussing learning about similes with his baby sitter..

Sitter- oh cool, can you give me an example?

Floppinho- (without missing a beat and with a mixture of earnestness and bashfulness) You're as beautiful as a goat.

anyone ever send their kid to DC on a school field trip?  my daughter will be in 7th grade next year and it's just been presented to us.  i'm curious about the cost.  the quote is $2800/kid, everything included, for 6 days.  we are on the west coast.  does the cost seem reasonable?

have your kids done it?  did they like it?

anyone ever send their kid to DC on a school field trip?  my daughter will be in 7th grade next year and it's just been presented to us.  i'm curious about the cost.  the quote is $2800/kid, everything included, for 6 days.  we are on the west coast.  does the cost seem reasonable?

If I'm spending close to $3,000 on a trip, I damn well better be a part of it.*

*Unless that $3,000 is for my wife and 5 kids to take a long trip somewhere without me, in which case, I'm down for that.

I think it depends on what they are doing, but my short answer on cost is that it seems reasonable since it includes the flight from the West Coast...that is unless they are just sitting in the same hotel conference room the entire time.

I went up as a Junior in HS to visit a bunch of the embassies.  Think we went for 4 days, and I have no clue how much it cost, but it was fun.  

Last edited by a moderator:

i'm cheap so that seems exorbitant.

what's the flight? $600? 

they staying in their own penthouse rooms for 6 days? 

I think it depends on what they are doing, but my short answer on cost is that it seems reasonable since it includes the flight from the West Coast...that is unless they are just sitting in the same hotel conference room the entire time.

I went up as a Junior in HS to visit a bunch of the embassies.  Think we went for 4 days, and I have no clue how much it cost, but it was fun.  
I went to DC on a school trip back in like '87. It was a couple hundred bucks back then for, i think, 3 or 4 nights.  And that was a bus trip.  So, that money was for the charter bus, hotel rooms (4 kids to a room) and probably the different tours we did.  I think we had to pay for our own food.

Also did a schoSo, $2800 for a cross country flight for 6 days doesn't sound out of syncol trip to Disney World that included airfare, don't remember how much that was, but i do remember having to sell candy bars to off set the cost of what my parents had to pay.  I cannot remember how much that was, but i think it was under a grand back in '89.

So, going forward 30 years, $2800 sounds fairly reasonable.  

Price it out, hotel, food, airfare, tours, heck you may be getting a deal.

I'm doing this next month with my daughter's 8th grade class, going as a parent chaperone.  

The costs per person, all meals included, are:

Quad Room                      $1700 per person
Triple Room                      $1850 per person
Double Room                    $2050 per person

If you book your own flight, the cost was reduced $375.   

Her school, which is k-8, has been doing this trip since 2002.  Each grade has its own field trip, so 8th grade to DC is the big one.  The kids love it.

Includes the following:

Round trip airfare

5 night accommodation

16 meals plus evening snacks

Metro transportation (pre-paid cards and refills as needed)

Bus transportation (including driver gratuities and meal)

Travel agent services to coordinate travel and accommodations

Logistic support to create itinerary and interface with all institutions regarding timing and security policies and screenings

Admissions and tours

Ford's Theater*: Timed entry, Museum, Ranger Talk and Peterson House

Gettysburg*: film, cyclorama presentation and guided battlefield bus tour (includes guide gratuities)

Mount Vernon*: entry, museum and timed passes to the home

National Archives*: Timed entry and film

US Capitol*: Timed entry, film, gallery viewing

Washington Monument

Library of Congress

Supreme Court

Pentagon

White House (not doing this because they've made the security a pain in the ###)

Air & Space Museum

Natural History Museum

American History Museum

Museum of the Bible

Portrait Gallery*: guided tour aligned with History class objectives

Tidal Basin Monuments: Jefferson, Roosevelt, King Jr

Mall Monuments: World War II, Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean

Arlington Cemetery

I'm doing this next month with my daughter's 8th grade class, going as a parent chaperone.  

The costs per person, all meals included, are:

Quad Room                      $1700 per person
Triple Room                      $1850 per person
Double Room                    $2050 per person

If you book your own flight, the cost was reduced $375.   

Her school, which is k-8, has been doing this trip since 2002.  Each grade has its own field trip, so 8th grade to DC is the big one.  The kids love it.

Includes the following:

Round trip airfare

5 night accommodation

16 meals plus evening snacks

Metro transportation (pre-paid cards and refills as needed)

Bus transportation (including driver gratuities and meal)

Travel agent services to coordinate travel and accommodations

Logistic support to create itinerary and interface with all institutions regarding timing and security policies and screenings

Admissions and tours

Ford's Theater*: Timed entry, Museum, Ranger Talk and Peterson House

Gettysburg*: film, cyclorama presentation and guided battlefield bus tour (includes guide gratuities)

Mount Vernon*: entry, museum and timed passes to the home

National Archives*: Timed entry and film

US Capitol*: Timed entry, film, gallery viewing

Washington Monument

Library of Congress

Supreme Court

Pentagon

White House (not doing this because they've made the security a pain in the ###)

Air & Space Museum

Natural History Museum

American History Museum

Museum of the Bible

Portrait Gallery*: guided tour aligned with History class objectives

Tidal Basin Monuments: Jefferson, Roosevelt, King Jr

Mall Monuments: World War II, Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean

Arlington Cemetery
That's a really awesome itinerary. 

Seems high.  Unless they are paying for chartered transporation everywhere instead of using the metro.  That with flight, hotel, and food, I can see how it could get up there. 

My 7th grade son is doing this in June with his art class, except they are doing NYC (we are in Oregon).  Price is very similar.  He's done a great job of fundraising and basically taken the most responsibility for something in his life so we haven't even thought of the cost as a negative.  Pretty excited for him.

here is the itinerary:

moniticello, luray caverns, night tour of iwo jima and other monuments.

arlington, smithsonian, night tours of memeorials

capitol building, library of congress, holocaust museum?, national archives, white house photo op?, yet more night time memorials.  lotta night time viewing???

for some reason, they go to NYC at this point, with lunch in philly??? followed by a yankee game

today show, rock center, top of the rock, central park, times square, broadway show

statue of liberty, lower manhattan, home

here is the itinerary:

capitol building, library of congress, holocaust museum?, national archives, white house photo op?, yet more night time memorials.  lotta night time viewing???

for some reason, they go to NYC at this point, with lunch in philly??? followed by a yankee game

today show, rock center, top of the rock, central park, times square, broadway show

Driving from Washington to NY a stop in Philadelphia is not "out of the way"   - no idea why they would just go for lunch - unless they are hitting the liberty bell or something

Driving from Washington to NY a stop in Philadelphia is not "out of the way"   - no idea why they would just go for lunch - unless they are hitting the liberty bell or something
"rocky steps' and lunch at reading terminal market.  

all transportation by 'deluxe' motor coach except for a 'subway experience' to yankee stadium.  i live in a super bubble down in south oc. :mellow:  

i am considering being a chaperone as well.  i went on almost all of the field trips in elementary school and know most of the kids.  @-fish-

all transportation by 'deluxe' motor coach except for a 'subway experience' to yankee stadium.  i live in a super bubble down in south oc. :mellow:  
i forgot this nugget, private overnight security.  every night.

i am also a maroon, it will be an 8th grade trip, so 2020 for me.  i'll want a full report @-fish-

i forgot this nugget, private overnight security.  every night.

i am also a maroon, it will be an 8th grade trip, so 2020 for me.  i'll want a full report @-fish-
Will do.   One thing is that the school is flying Southwest, but living in Seattle we tend to rack up a lot of Alaska miles.  About 1/3 of the people going opted out of the school's flights and are using miles to get there and back.  Roverkid and I upgraded so that we're not flying with the commoners.

here is the itinerary:

Those three are probably $150 by themselves (if not $200) and then another $27 for the Yankee game.  Then you throw in motor coach everywhere and $2800 doesn't seem unreasonable.  

They are doing a lot (almost too much).  Of course they're young, but I'm tired just looking at that list (nevermind @-fish- death march around DC).  

Those three are probably $150 by themselves (if not $200) and then another $27 for the Yankee game.  Then you throw in motor coach everywhere and $2800 doesn't seem unreasonable.  

They are doing a lot (almost too much).  Of course they're young, but I'm tired just looking at that list (nevermind @-fish- death march around DC).  
there's a lot to be sure.  too much on some days.  we just did NYC last summer and only the broadway show of those you mentioned was expensive.  we got the city pass for SOL, RFC, 911, ESB, NHM or the met for $125/person.  i think with all meals, transportation and security :lmao:  it's not too much.

I get info sent to me at least 5 times a year asking if I want to lead a D.C tour for my school.  My answer is always the same:

”Any way I can do this without taking any kids with me?”
:lmao:   and my dumb@zz volunteered.  1 chaperone per 10 kids is what they want to do, seem reasonable?  

My brother buys all his pants at Sams Club.  Or maybe Costco.  Not sure.

he also thinks Democrats are going to confiscate his Bible.  
I buy my pants at either Costco or thrift stores.  Except my suits, which I buy off the rack as cheaply as possible.

here is the itinerary:

Put me on the chaperone list with Homer

I get info sent to me at least 5 times a year asking if I want to lead a D.C tour for my school.  My answer is always the same:

”Any way I can do this without taking any kids with me?”
Doe sit pay as well as teaching drivers ed?

I met 2 ladies (one from England and one from Baltimore) at Luray Caverns.  It’s an awesome place.  Once we finished the tour, we hit a couple of wineries up the road.  In retrospect, we should have hit those first.  Highly recommend (the wineries and the caverns).  Here’s a pic (just the caverns)

Users who are viewing this thread