What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (9 Viewers)

Gonna take a “the more you know” moment here.  Some of you are dealing with some pretty heavy stuff and while I don’t usually comment on these circumstances, I am sympathetic and you are in my thoughts.  Always be appreciative of the time you have with family and friends.  You never know how much you’ll have.  Quality over quantity imo.  Back to our regularly scheduled programming already in progress.   :bye:

Quote of the month:

"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3."

- Paul F. Crickmore (SR71 test pilot)

Heading over to sports book to see Lightning hopefully tie and then take the lead before concert.  I get to spend some time with my sister.  Looking forward to it.

Downtown Grand 
West side or east side?

Had a room on the west side a couple of months ago. So freaking loud with the stupid biker bar across the street and Jef Lepard playing on the Fremont main stage.  The hotel knows this. They leave ear plugs (that don’t help) on the nightstands.

I'm losing my mind.

In the midst of everything else going on, on the way to work this morning Mr. krista had a car accident; I suspect they'll just total the car.  He's OK physically, but here's a short summary of his last week:

Saturday - our friend nearly choked on a scallop Mr krista had cooked; we all witnessed her lose breathing for 6-7 minutes (this is NOT pretty) and lose her heartbeat for some period of time.

Sunday - hospital time on what is probably his only "vacation" through the end of the year

Monday - see Sunday, plus the 330-mile drive back to our house

Tuesday - worked about eight hours on his "day off"

Wednesday - worked 16 hours

Thursday - worked 15 hours

Friday - car accident on way to work around 8 a.m.; came back home and got my car and is still at work

So though my week has been pretty ####ty, it's better than his.  Nevertheless, I'm under such stress that last night I poured cat food into my wine glass.  For ####'s sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm losing my mind.

In the midst of everything else going on, on the way to work this morning Mr. krista had a car accident; I suspect they'll just total the car.  He's OK physically, but here's a short summary of his last week:

Saturday - our friend nearly choked on a scallop Mr krista had cooked; we all witnessed her lose breathing for 6-7 minutes (this is NOT pretty) and lose her heartbeat for some period of time.

Sunday - hospital time on what is probably his only "vacation" until the end of the year

Monday - see Sunday, plus the 330-mile drive back to our house

Tuesday - worked about eight hours on his "day off"

Wednesday - worked 16 hours

Thursday - worked 15 hours

Friday - car accident on way to work around 8 a.m.; came back home and got my car and is still at work

So though my week has been pretty ####ty, it's better than his.  Nevertheless, I'm under such stress that last night I poured cat food into my wine glass.  For ####'s sake.
You guys have had a about as rough of a week as one could imagine.  Why was that Sunday his only vacation until the rest of the year?  It sounds to me like a real vacation is exactly what you guys need.

This is an ambitious little wine. But not too presumptuous.  Not quite haughty but...somewhat sérieux.  It is peppered with astuces of salmon, whitefish, liver and just the faintest chuchotement of mouse.  Tolerably crunchy but quaffable.  

Serve with  vittles, tender or not, and perhaps your own butt hairs.

You guys have had a about as rough of a week as one could imagine.  Why was that Sunday his only vacation until the rest of the year?  It sounds to me like a real vacation is exactly what you guys need.
Well, the past weekend was supposed to be a real vacation -  six friends renting a big ol' crazy house with pool and hot tub in Walla Walla for the spring release weekend of the local wines.  All planned a month or two before Mr krista had a job change that requires him to work all the damn time, but he got the time off by virtue of threat of divorce if we canceled.  Can't tell you how much we had both looked forward to it, mostly because he's been working so hard.  We had one good day before stuff happened.  

Now it's into busy season for his restaurant - as we all know, it's right on the water, and summer/fall are the busiest times based on the location.  Maybe he can get a day or two off in October before we get into the holiday period, which will also be busy.

This is an ambitious little wine. But not too presumptuous.  Not quite haughty but...somewhat sérieux.  It is peppered with astuces of salmon, whitefish, liver and just the faintest chuchotement of mouse.  Tolerably crunchy but quaffable.  

Serve with  vittles, tender or not, and perhaps your own butt hairs.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm going to work some of this into my next wine tasting.

ETA:  Probably not the butt hairs part.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm going to work some of this into my next wine tasting.

ETA:  Probably not the butt hairs part.
Did I ever tell you about the time I actually did a wine tasting with my wife in Paso de Robles*?  It’s funny because I hate wine.

* Official spanished name of the town.  

Common name = Paso Robles.  

Locals call it = Paso.  

Translation = “Pass of the oaks”

Me?  that place that we have to stop at on the way to the coast that has a buttload of wineries that we have to stop at oh and my wife went to high school there so I have heard every story about every place there.  DID YOU GUYS KNOW THE MCDONALDS WAS 100 YARDS SOUTH FROM ITS PRESENT LOCATION?

Did I ever tell you about the time I actually did a wine tasting with my wife in Paso de Robles*?  It’s funny because I hate wine.

* Official spanished name of the town.  

Common name = Paso Robles.  

Locals call it = Paso.  

Translation = “Pass of the oaks”

Me?  that place that we have to stop at on the way to the coast that has a buttload of wineries that we have to stop at oh and my wife went to high school there so I have heard every story about every place there.  DID YOU GUYS KNOW THE MCDONALDS WAS 100 YARDS SOUTH FROM ITS PRESENT LOCATION?
How was the terroir?

Well, the past weekend was supposed to be a real vacation -  six friends renting a big ol' crazy house with pool and hot tub in Walla Walla for the spring release weekend of the local wines.  All planned a month or two before Mr krista had a job change that requires him to work all the damn time, but he got the time off by virtue of threat of divorce if we canceled.  Can't tell you how much we had both looked forward to it, mostly because he's been working so hard.  We had one good day before stuff happened.  

Now it's into busy season for his restaurant - as we all know, it's right on the water, and summer/fall are the busiest times based on the location.  Maybe he can get a day or two off in October before we get into the holiday period, which will also be busy.
I'm glad he is ok from the crash.  Everything else is secondary, especially after what happened with your friend.  I hope you guys find some time to unwind and get back into a more normal daily frame of mind.

I’ll tell the wine tasting story without request now before I sober up.

The wife loves wine.  And as much as I think most wine tasting is hooey she’s pretty knowledgeable. 

I hate wine.  Hate it.  Actually I should say I have no palett.  You know how some people are tone deaf or color blind?  That’s me with wine.  You could have me taste a $4 bottle from 7-11 and a $500 bottle of whatever and I would just taste wine.

Over the years I have had numerous people try to school me.  

An old boss (rich as hell), going through a divorce, broke out a bottle of Château Rothschild he was saving.  Even though I tried to tell him it was a waste on me, he broke out the white napkin and crap.  It was nasty.

I’ve had ex girlfriends try to explain it all.  “Just let it mellow on you tongue” etc. Blech.

My sister and her friends all belong to “wine clubs” or whatever from Paso to Santa Barbara to Napa.  They’ve tried too.  It all tastes the same.

My wife knows all this. She tried too, but alas.  

So about 3-4 times a year we head over to the central coast.  All the Paso wineries, from garbage to great, are along the way.

I have no problem stopping for the wife to taste/buy.  Usually while she tastes I amuse myself by checking out the selection of overpriced t-shirts or enjoying the view.  Mostly I try to find the resident cat or dog.  90% of the time, There is at least one. 

She used to ask me if I wanted to taste with her.

Until one time one of the wine pouring ladies browbeats me into tasting too. It was like $10 regardless of it was one or two people.  Fine.

The pourer Chick has a whole spiel about every wine.  She’d let you taste, then ask you your thoughts, then describe the wine.  It took me 30 seconds to realize she was just regurgitating the descriptions of each varietal that was printed on this card...that somebody had left on the barstool next to me.

The wife nor the pourer girl could see the card I was looking at. Oh, and there was the same card on the sideboard a few feet away where the oyster crackers were.  I hit those like I was starving.

Pourer: this is our YaddaYadda. What do you think?

Me: (after glancing at the description...I can read fast as F...which might say “smokey...apricots...silky...bold finish) hmmmm...it’s got a hint of peach..wait..hmmm..some sort of stone fruit maybe? Smooth though.  Nice finish, though.”

I did that for every one. Like 6 wines.  I was like Kreskin.  “I sense some oak and cognac and a flutter of apples”.

Wife was looking at me like I was a pod-person. Pourer Girl was impressed for sure.

When we got outside wife says “so, you really liked that?”

I said “no, that was F-ing horrible and I cheated.”

Shes never asked me again.

1.  You're a built in designated driver in wine country?  Sign me up!

2.  How did you get the little hat on the "a" in Chateau Rothschild?

3.  Speaking of hats, I just learned this week that Bugles advertise themselves on their very packages as "America's Favorite Finger Hats."

ETA:  4.  I'm drinking a lot tonight.  Hopefully wine and not cat food, but either will do.

Users who are viewing this thread