What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (15 Viewers)

krista4 said:
My stepmother participated in one of these a week or so ago.  They just wanted people there to cheer on the participants as they came in, as if they were celebrities.  She posted some pics and video that also made it look so sweet.
The red carpet was one of my favorite parts. Most of the guests love it, but some of them REALLY love it. For most of them, they are often ignored by others, so having 100 people cheering and clapping for them as they walk down the red carpet into the ballroom is a great feeling.

cosjobs said:
First I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to me, To have strengthened and comforted me. 

Sadly, it looks like the end for my sister. I'm going to try and find a flight out today, tomorrow is a snowstorm in Boston. Wednesday may be too late.
Sorry to hear, brother.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
mm..bit short notice.  my aunt and uncle would love to see me..work will be an issue..can't do it buddy.  i'd love to though  

cosjobs said:
First I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to me, To have strengthened and comforted me. 

Sadly, it looks like the end for my sister. I'm going to try and find a flight out today, tomorrow is a snowstorm in Boston. Wednesday may be too late.
I'm so sorry cos

Sorry for all you, your family, and above all your sister is going through, cos.

There is, however, so much to being there for family in their time of need. You're doing the right thing no matter how painful. All best.

Last edited by a moderator:
cosjobs said:

Shoot.  I’m sorry. I missed this today.  I hope things go in whatever direction is best. 

I still have nursing contacts in Boston if there are issues I can help with, please let me know. 

krista4 said:
:jawdrop: 🤓

You're back!   :pickle:  I'm so happy to see you!  Please stay a while.
Thanks much, mate! 😁

But... "...stay a while."??? 

Wha?! I been here since.. since.. well.. at least since 01..in some form or another of me and FBGs! Oh.. I'll stick around! 😜

However, I freely admit that while "around", I am not always very consistent or active. 🤖

Sorry, being anal and pedantic is bad form. 🤓

Thus, I will work to up my consistency and activity, while lowering my anality and pedanty.

Deal? 😇

OH.. Great to chat again. 

Later, truly. 😊

Cos, just read up since my last night post. Missed all things here for a long while. 

I'm very sorry to read about your sister.

Best vibes I have are directed your and yours' way. 

I got what I thought was a good deal on 20 lbs of chicken wings at Restaurant Depot and then got them home and discovered two things:

1. My freezer is already full;

2. I actually got a great deal on 40 lbs of chicken wings. 

They covered your event on MSNBC this morning. It was cool thinking that I "know" someone who had a hand in its success.  Awesome job. 
I wish it was ours! There were over 600 churches around the world that hosted Night To Shine events over the last week or so. Some much much bigger than ours. But I love that these events are getting some national coverage. It's a really cool night that not only celebrates these folks and gives them an awesome night, but does so much to open people's eyes to folks with special needs and makes it so much easier to connect with them and make them feel like they matter the rest of the year. 

It ends up being just as much about changing attitudes and behavior of the people that volunteer to help out as it is about giving these folks a night to shine.

The wife tells me last night she's found the religion for the family. I'm waiting for the punchline, and she says Universal Unitarianism. Sounds a bit like a theme park at first, but I'd heard of unitarians- myopically, because I think Frank Lloyd Wright was one and iirc designed a nice building/temple/church for them.

She shows me the wiki, and outside of sounding like a cult...makes sense to me in terms of something organized: 

Unitarian Universalism (UU)[2][3][4] is a liberal religion characterized by a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning".[5][6] Unitarian Universalists assert no creed, but instead are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth. As such, their congregations include many atheists, agnostics, and theists within their membership. The roots of Unitarian Universalism lie in liberal Christianity, specifically Unitarianism and universalism. Unitarian Universalists state that from these traditions comes a deep regard for intellectual freedom and inclusive love. Congregations and members seek inspiration and derive insight from all major world religions.[7]

While it sounds good, my answer was- why do we need an organization for that- isn't that how we lead our lives anyway? She felt like it was important for the kids to be exposed to more than what do- superficially touching on each our religions that we don't subscribe to.

The wife tells me last night she's found the religion for the family. I'm waiting for the punchline, and she says Universal Unitarianism. Sounds a bit like a theme park at first, but I'd heard of unitarians- myopically, because I think Frank Lloyd Wright was one and iirc designed a nice building/temple/church for them.

She shows me the wiki, and outside of sounding like a cult...makes sense to me in terms of something organized: 

Unitarian Universalism (UU)[2][3][4] is a liberal religion characterized by a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning".[5][6] Unitarian Universalists assert no creed, but instead are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth. As such, their congregations include many atheists, agnostics, and theists within their membership. The roots of Unitarian Universalism lie in liberal Christianity, specifically Unitarianism and universalism. Unitarian Universalists state that from these traditions comes a deep regard for intellectual freedom and inclusive love. Congregations and members seek inspiration and derive insight from all major world religions.[7]

While it sounds good, my answer was- why do we need an organization for that- isn't that how we lead our lives anyway? She felt like it was important for the kids to be exposed to more than what do- superficially touching on each our religions that we don't subscribe to.
We were in the same boat years ago.  We felt it would be good to be involved in some kind of church-like community.  Then we realized there’s no reason to feel like we have to.  

We were in the same boat years ago.  We felt it would be good to be involved in some kind of church-like community.  Then we realized there’s no reason to feel like we have to.  
That's where I'm at, but I get wanting to expose the kids to more.

What do you think of universal Unitarianism? Heard anything about it?

I went to UU church as a kid. My parents were atheists who wanted me to experience the community aspect of church. It was basically a bunch of grown-up intellectual hippies playing politics like any other church. Except intellectual hippies aren't good at politics so it was super-awkward to watch, even as a child. My parents also took me to every different kind of church one could ever imagine so I could get some experience with many religions.  We'd only go for one service generally, so there wasn't a community aspect to it, but I found that experience far more enriching than the UU experience.

I went to UU church as a kid. My parents were atheists who wanted me to experience the community aspect of church. It was basically a bunch of grown-up intellectual hippies playing politics like any other church. Except intellectual hippies aren't good at politics so it was super-awkward to watch, even as a child. My parents also took me to every different kind of church one could ever imagine so I could get some experience with many religions.  We'd only go for one service generally, so there wasn't a community aspect to it, but I found that experience far more enriching than the UU experience.
that's fantastic- thanks.

I'm not sure if the wife is looking for a community for the kids or an exposure to spiritualism/god. or both. if the latter, I love how your parents exposed you to the pantheon, and truly believe that any religious person should make a point of doing the same. did you go to all religions, or just christian churches?

I'm kind of a misanthrope and generally veer away from any community that relies on membership- I make a handful of friends where I find them in various communities I'm involved with- school, work... that's about all I've got these days... and that's my community. the wife is essentially the same, and not surprisingly the kids are too. none of us are the type to be best friends with the entire baseball team, because we're playing on it. I don't really feel like any of us need a new group of friends or "community"... especially living in NYC surrounded by yobs.

We haven't taken the kids to much in the way of organized services- a christmas mass, and that's about it. But as mentioned, we're from different backgrounds and we've made a point of explaining different religions to them and the idea of god (at least our idea of god) and how we believe that's a matter of personal faith. something that they can decide any time they like, but (for us) ideally later once their brains have fully developed and they've seen and learned more about the world- allowing them to be able to make their own minds up and take the carefully considered leap in whichever direction they choose.

we previously thought about quakers... but as much as a conduit for application to Friends schools as for the tenets. and this UU looks like it ticks all the boxes, but your description of it fits the mental visual I have of what it might be (at a lesser ideal). 

Found out this morning that my college boyfriend died this weekend.  We were together for four years.  He apparently died of the flu.  I didn't know that 50-year-old people died of that, but he was really sick for a couple of days and then, bam, dead.  He has two teenage daughters and a really whacked ex-wife.  Anyway, it's surprisingly devastating news; he and I were friendly but not close anymore.

Also, he lived in Boston, which made me wonder if anyone's heard from cos?

the flu!?

condolences k4... terrible story, especially with a family. 

didn't you know somebody with a lingering tooth-ache that died from the infection getting to their brain? or was that typhoid bob?

Found out this morning that my college boyfriend died this weekend.  We were together for four years.  He apparently died of the flu.  I didn't know that 50-year-old people died of that, but he was really sick for a couple of days and then, bam, dead.  He has two teenage daughters and a really whacked ex-wife.  Anyway, it's surprisingly devastating news; he and I were friendly but not close anymore.

thops

The worse churches are at politics, the better we are as a society

Actually, I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I pretty much consider GMTAN my church. 

It's is my sanctuary. It's supports me in times of need and celebrates.life with me the other times.

From uruk predawn to me shaking my fist at the coming light, there's most always someone in here to talk with, support or be supportive, or make fun of their crazy regional habits. Were a quirky bunch of misfits who have learned to harmonize together. I love you all.

Actually, I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I pretty much consider GMTAN my church. 

It's is my sanctuary. It's supports me in times of need and celebrates.life with me the other times.

From uruk predawn to me shaking my fist at the coming light, there's most always someone in here to talk with, support or be supportive, or make fun of their crazy regional habits. Were a quirky bunch of misfits who have learned to harmonize together. I love you all.
praise be. did you get thru the storm?

I was diagnosed with the flu a week ago and still feel like crap... I don't think I am lucky enough to die from it though.

um...no

krista4 said:
Roverkid update?
She's switched to online school only, which is self-paced.   Living with me full time.  Concussion symptoms not improving.   Weight loss has evened out; she's working with a nutritionist on that.   Just riding it out.   They still claim she'll be back to normal at some point.    The originally said 6 months to a year--we're at about 5 1/2 months.

She's switched to online school only, which is self-paced.   Living with me full time.  Concussion symptoms not improving.   Weight loss has evened out; she's working with a nutritionist on that.   Just riding it out.   They still claim she'll be back to normal at some point.    The originally said 6 months to a year--we're at about 5 1/2 months.
Oh and we're going to NYC from April 13-18 for spring break.   Would be happy to meet up with @El Floppo, @BobbyLayne or anyone else.   

the flu!?

condolences k4... terrible story, especially with a family. 

didn't you know somebody with a lingering tooth-ache that died from the infection getting to their brain? or was that typhoid bob?
Lady I work with's husband died of an infected ingrown toenail that turned him septic.

I'll be here- would love to meet up. our spring break is the next week, so not sure what's going on yet while you're here.
We're staying at the Millennium Hilton by the WTC and 9/11 memorial.   We're not locked down to a lot of plans for the week, but I will have roverkid and her friend with me.   

We're staying at the Millennium Hilton by the WTC and 9/11 memorial.   We're not locked down to a lot of plans for the week, but I will have roverkid and her friend with me.   
That's our go-to staycation spot. Bring swim suits. And don't eat in the in-house restaurant.

Unitarians were kind of big in San Diego when I was growing up.  I knew some families that went to Unitarian churches.   None of them really took it very seriously, which may be the point.   

hadn't seen this - just saw that you mentioned something had come up suddenly in the beatles thread.  

these kinds of shocks are strange how they can hit you - it often brings on a sense of our own mortality and how fragile life really is.  

sorry krista. 

Users who are viewing this thread