What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (7 Viewers)

You guys really tip at your local pizza place or Chinese place when you pickup? I'm not talking about a place with waiters who do 10% of their business as takeout. I'm talking places that do 95% of their business as takeout or delivery. 

You guys really tip at your local pizza place or Chinese place when you pickup? I'm not talking about a place with waiters who do 10% of their business as takeout. I'm talking places that do 95% of their business as takeout or delivery. 
Grove, based on the posts of yours I've seen, you are a thousand times a better person than I am. So, my comments about this are not a criticism of you. We all have things that look like quirks to others.

That said........ This is what I generally do:

1. Full-blown restaurant that I order carry-out from: tip as if I sat down to eat (I usually get a beer or something even if it's ready when I arrive)

2. Delivery, regardless of the "type": I tip the driver +/- 25% or so - whatever works best for the change.

3. Walk-in/Carry-out type joints: I guess this is your "95% takeout" category, though I wonder how a business that does only 94% of their business that way fits into your chart. I'll usually do something like 10%

4. Fast food places don't count, for the reasons krista outlined above.

Playing the role of "Mr. Mom" this weekend is General Malaise.  Thus far, he is probably not up for any award nominations if being judged by other responsible parents, but 4 out if 5 kids polled seem very satisfied.

Dinner last night was carry-out pizza ($35 for two large pies, I gave the gal $40 and left) followed by popcorn and the Emoji movie (convinced any humans with a soul who worked on that movie lost it upon signing on to make this pile of manure).  No baths, but there was some teeth brushing I think.

Up at 6:30am and right out the door to Krispy Kreme.  Now three little ones are sharing a bath because I've learned not one of them can wipe worth a damn.  

Oh, and my wife bought Captain Crunch before she left.  They all call it "colorful balls" which delights me to no end.  "Dad, I want a bowl of colorful balls and goldfish".  "Say no more, fam!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say, the thought of “crossing the streams” and mixing goldfish with cereal is a completely new concept to me. I’m almost as dumbfounded as when I learned that some people brush their teeth with warm water.

But suddenly, I want to make a trip to the store just to see what a bowl of M&M’s and Rice Krispies would taste like.

GroveDiesel said:
i pay cash for things like this, and yes, i tip.  paying cash, makes it easier imho.  i also tip uber and lift drivers.  i sat down at a sushi bar inside a gelson's (think, a fancier whole foods :mellow: )  i about had to knock the sushi chef out, because he refused the tip.  i mean, adamant about it.  i just left the cash sitting there.  walking away, i saw a sign that asked/told customers not to tip.  wtf is up with that?  i had sushi and a beer, exactly like a real restaurant.  so weird.

i pay cash for things like this, and yes, i tip.  paying cash, makes it easier imho.  i also tip uber and lift drivers.  i sat down at a sushi bar inside a gelson's (think, a fancier whole foods :mellow: )  i about had to knock the sushi chef out, because he refused the tip.  i mean, adamant about it.  i just left the cash sitting there.  walking away, i saw a sign that asked/told customers not to tip.  wtf is up with that?  i had sushi and a beer, exactly like a real restaurant.  so weird.
Could be pulling this out of my backside, but grocery stores have a very strict no tipping policy that I believe is union related but I agree, it sucks.  

One time an old lady at an auto parts store took pity on me and installed a window wiper for me.  It was raining and she saw me struggling so to thank her, I gave her a Starbucks giftcard for $10.  She thanked me, went back inside, then came back out as I was pulling away and said her boss told her she could not accept the gift.  She looked so sad handing it back. :(

i, too have struggled installing windshield wipers at one point in my life but if some blue hair offers to put them on for me she better put her dukes up cause we're gonna take it to the mats and i'm not going to quit until one of us is arrested.
You won’t even video your coworker.

If you told him why you wanted him recorded, he’d freak out and amp up his schtick!  CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!!

No way you are taking out an old lady, for anything. 

I despise Wal Mart, but every once in a while the situation calls for me to use the store near me since it's open 24 hours. Yesterday morning was such an occasion. I only needed one item, but figured I'd knock out my grocery shopping while I was there.

It was a damned mess. They're rearranging everything and there had to be 100 employees in there clogging the aisles. It was like the Gauntlet Of Death manned by people with the most hopeless "I want to die" looks on their faces.

That time of day you have to use the self-checkout stations, which terrify me because I am an idiot. I started scanning things, but somehow check out 4 times - I don't know how, but I had a fistful of receipts. And that's before I get to the fruit. 

I'm standing there holding two limes (not a euphemism) and hit what I think is the right button. Screen lights up with something like "PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE" and a light over my station starts blinking. I'm thinking "great, one of the Walking Dead back there is going to come and murder me". 

This young lady comes over and says "hit the button that shows limes. She appeared to have Downs. Our conversation from there goes something like this:

Me (looking at her instead of the screen, hoping she will do this for me): Ok, nothing's happening

Her: Yes, it is. Look at the screen. How many limes do you have?

Me: Two

Her: Then hit "2"

Me: :bag:

Her: How many receipts do you have?

Me, holding a fistful of balled-up Wal Mart receipts: I don't know.

Her: They're all crinkled up. Straighten them out. They will want to see them when you leave.

Me: Ok, thanks so much for your help.

Her: If they ask, I don't know you. 

The kid at McDonald's is also not making below minimum wage as is allowed in positions with tipped employees.  And in many restaurants (as I know you know) the cooks can also be paid less based on a tip-sharing arrangement, and they have to work just as hard to prepare the to-go orders as the dine-in ones.  Not to mention that someone takes their time out to take the order, package it all up, take payment, etc.  The difference between dining in and taking out is minimal in terms of the work the staff has to put in.  Sure, you can tip less than 20% to account for the difference, but tipping nothing is absolutely befuddling to me.
Interesting. I tip 20-25 for table service but never for takeout. 

Also the bolded confuses me. The whole tipping structure confuses me. I don’t want to/shouldn’t have to understand the complexities of an entire industry’s labor and pay structure to help me determine how much extra to pay for a product or service. 

On my quest to eat healthier and have a salad for lunch today, I was reminded of Mark Twain, who once said - "The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not."

So I bought that cool 11-year-old BMW back in June.  It's been a tremendous car so far.  Until this morning.  It wouldn't start.  I just kept pushing the button and frowning.  Tried to jump it, didn't matter.  

Almost certainly a dead starter.  Which means after less than three months I have my first BMW repair!  Woohoo! 

I'm taking guesses on cost.  

So I bought that cool 11-year-old BMW back in June.  It's been a tremendous car so far.  Until this morning.  It wouldn't start.  I just kept pushing the button and frowning.  Tried to jump it, didn't matter.  

Almost certainly a dead starter.  Which means after less than three months I have my first BMW repair!  Woohoo! 

$452.77

$863

At the dealership? If it's in three figures, thank them and walk away quietly.

Yikes...

I don't recall a BMW owner ever getting out of the repair shop for anything less than $600. 

Did you guys have parent/teacher night in high school?  We had Cal's tonight.  I don't remember it and feel like I would remember my Dad yelling at me.

Users who are viewing this thread