What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (5 Viewers)

Very small local fire caused internet to go out yesterday @ 5:20 pm.  Forced most in these parts onto their phones, where 4G became spotty at best.  Internet came back on @ 3:00 pm today.  In this household, you might have thought for those 22 hours we had nothing to do but watch satellite tv, draw on cave walls, and read books.  My 16 year old son says NOTHING but burst out "WIFI'S BACK ON!!!!!!!!!!" the SECOND we could use it again.

I am a failure.  And the worst of sinners.

Remember that Jeep Wrangler 4 door I gave Roverkid for her birthday last month?   Today she just about totaled my neighbor's crappy (but brand new) Fiat 500 with it.   She was backing out of my driveway just after they had backed out of theirs.   She didn't see them because my driveway is very steep, she's pretty short and their car is really small, so she just looked right over the top of it as she smashed the whole right front of their car with her spare tire.   Not a scratch on the Jeep.

Remember that Jeep Wrangler 4 door I gave Roverkid for her birthday last month?   Today she just about totaled my neighbor's crappy (but brand new) Fiat 500 with it.   She was backing out of my driveway just after they had backed out of theirs.   She didn't see them because my driveway is very steep, she's pretty short and their car is really small, so she just looked right over the top of it as she smashed the whole right front of their car with her spare tire.   Not a scratch on the Jeep.
And you thought insurance was expensive before... ouch man, sorry.

Glad nobody was hurt.

I drive an 05 CRV - so old it doesn’t even have TPM lights.

My driveway is  a steep uphill  nightmare to back out of, with a downhill driveway across the road, and a blind curve that people fly around. Almost backed into the neighbor coming out of their driveway a couple times because I am triple-checking for traffic ripping around the corner or down the hill from the other side.

The weird thing is just this morning I thought, “Man, a back up camera would be nice here.” If some little kid came walking out from behind the shed at the end of my driveway, or the neighbors were leaving at same time,  I would never see them even if my head wa turned all the way around.”

we like to play a game in my house whereby my kids ask mom to do things, she agrees & then never follows up/completes the task. and if they remind her or ask again she gets really mad about it & then refuses to complete the task she promised.

it's pretty awesome.

the kids ask me to do stuff, too and i do it, but there are things my wife will lose her mind about having to do because she's super.. particular. 

she's the computer expert around here. these things drive me nuts and she has customized the tablets, etc. with settings that she likes so i just don't #### with them.

kid comes to me tonight and says "i want to use the (cheap) blue laptop that mom bought for me like 2 years ago but it's broken & won't boot up." my spidey senses are tingling because i know this means she has asked mom for help and it's at the point where she has waited a long time and now mom is refusing to help.

so i ask some basic questions & determine that it has been plugged in for about a year, but it won't boot. no power. nothing she does works. so i google and the web says unplug the battery and then plug in the a/c cord and boot it back up.... or hopefully boot it up.

here i am taking the back of the laptop off... unplugging the battery and i ask the kid to fetch the cord. she goes upstairs to get the cord and comes back to tell me "THIS WASN'T EVEN PLUGGED IN TO THE WALL! IT WAS PLUGGED IN TO THE LAPTOP, BUT NOT THE WALL!!!!!!"  :wall:   :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

put it all back together. plug the cord in to wall and laptop.........annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd wa la.... power. works great.one year wasted for absolutely no reason at all :hot:

we like to play a game in my house whereby my kids ask mom to do things, she agrees & then never follows up/completes the task. and if they remind her or ask again she gets really mad about it & then refuses to complete the task she promised.

it's pretty awesome.

the kids ask me to do stuff, too and i do it, but there are things my wife will lose her mind about having to do because she's super.. particular. 

she's the computer expert around here. these things drive me nuts and she has customized the tablets, etc. with settings that she likes so i just don't #### with them.

kid comes to me tonight and says "i want to use the (cheap) blue laptop that mom bought for me like 2 years ago but it's broken & won't boot up." my spidey senses are tingling because i know this means she has asked mom for help and it's at the point where she has waited a long time and now mom is refusing to help.

so i ask some basic questions & determine that it has been plugged in for about a year, but it won't boot. no power. nothing she does works. so i google and the web says unplug the battery and then plug in the a/c cord and boot it back up.... or hopefully boot it up.

here i am taking the back of the laptop off... unplugging the battery and i ask the kid to fetch the cord. she goes upstairs to get the cord and comes back to tell me "THIS WASN'T EVEN PLUGGED IN TO THE WALL! IT WAS PLUGGED IN TO THE LAPTOP, BUT NOT THE WALL!!!!!!"  :wall:   :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

put it all back together. plug the cord in to wall and laptop.........annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd wa la.... power. works great.one year wasted for absolutely no reason at all :hot:
That sounds like fun.  I would add some more excitement to your day by messing with your wife's customized settings for the computers/tablets.

That sounds like fun.  I would add some more excitement to your day by messing with your wife's customized settings for the computers/tablets.
Saw a reddit or something recently where a kid had reset his parents phones to autocorrect yes and no to some ridiculous thing like "####### a right, broheim".

I'm imagining something on that order for the furly house.

A part on my garage door broke three separate times, so I just bought a new opener yesterday.   Dismantled the old one yesterday and installed the new one today.   Only problem is that the directions say something like "most garages have exposed beams.   If you have a finished ceiling, you'll need to use different mounting hardware."

Thanks, that's a big help.   Had to modify the mounting brackets for the powerhead, go to Home Depot and buy a six foot section of angle iron, cut it with an angle grinder, cut holes in the ceiling of my drywall to get everything secured and then patch the drywall.   What should have been an hour turned into half a day.

A part on my garage door broke three separate times, so I just bought a new opener yesterday.   Dismantled the old one yesterday and installed the new one today.   Only problem is that the directions say something like "most garages have exposed beams.   If you have a finished ceiling, you'll need to use different mounting hardware."

Thanks, that's a big help.   Had to modify the mounting brackets for the powerhead, go to Home Depot and buy a six foot section of angle iron, cut it with an angle grinder, cut holes in the ceiling of my drywall to get everything secured and then patch the drywall.   What should have been an hour turned into half a day.
Why did you have cut/patch the drywall?  I've installed a couple openers in my day and I just screwed the angle iron to the studs.

Why did you have cut/patch the drywall?  I've installed a couple openers in my day and I just screwed the angle iron to the studs.
The opener  I was replacing (Opener No. 2) had a 12' rail.  This one (Opener No. 3) is 10', which put it halfway between studs and made the angle iron they had secured to the ceiling for Opener No. 2 useless.

There was an abandoned  steel bracket in place from the original opener (No. 1) that they installed when they originally built the house, which was also 10'.  It was secured above the finished ceiling.   I figured using that one would be simpler than running two lengths of angle iron and securing those to the studs, but my choices for securing anything to the bracket were going into the crawl space and dealing with blown-in insulation or cutting holes in the ceiling big enough to get a box wrench up there.  I went with cutting and patching holes, partly because it was hot as hell in that crawl space and partly so I didn't have to deal with insulation.  In hindsight two runs of angle iron would probably have been easier, but since the bracket was already in place I got focused on how to make use of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
After 25 years I decided to quit my long-term fantasy football league this year.   I don't have time to follow who's sick/quarantined/opting out/injured due to lack of conditioning, etc.   I also don't think they're going to be able to pull off a legitimate full season.   Let the league know if we switch to best ball I'd stick around, but if not I quit.   Feels good to finally put fantasy football aside and just gamble on sports like a normal degenerate.

After 25 years I decided to quit my long-term fantasy football league this year.   I don't have time to follow who's sick/quarantined/opting out/injured due to lack of conditioning, etc.   I also don't think they're going to be able to pull off a legitimate full season.   Let the league know if we switch to best ball I'd stick around, but if not I quit.   Feels good to finally put fantasy football aside and just gamble on sports like a normal degenerate.
 Been pretty close to doing the same thing. If the league wasn’t with guys that I grew up with and connect with primarily through this league, I would have quit years ago.

My time spent on it this year will almost entirely drafting using the Draft Dominator and then using FBG’s rankings to set my lineup each week. So pretty much 5-10 minutes tops each week. Have a feeling this will be my last year.

Dinner and a movie?
Actually, reportedly yes. 

Allegedly she asked him whether or not he thought she should accept the syndication deal she was being offered on her AM Chicago show. He did some math calculations on some napkins, told her if it was more than the number he calculated she should do it, she did and the rest is history.

Actually, reportedly yes. 

Allegedly she asked him whether or not he thought she should accept the syndication deal she was being offered on her AM Chicago show. He did some math calculations on some napkins, told her if it was more than the number he calculated she should do it, she did and the rest is history.
They totally did it.

El Floppo said:
I use the rate my team app to tell me how badly I did on my draft after using the draft dominator. but other than that- basically, yeah.
I find that using rate my team after using draft dominator is usually just more reinforcement of their rankings. "Yay, you did good doing what we told you, your team is awesome!" And the truth is, it usually works out pretty well if I pay a little attention and make moves during the season.  I kid about it but there's no way I'd still be playing FF without it.

I find that using rate my team after using draft dominator is usually just more reinforcement of their rankings. "Yay, you did good doing what we told you, your team is awesome!" And the truth is, it usually works out pretty well if I pay a little attention and make moves during the season.  I kid about it but there's no way I'd still be playing FF without it.
I'm not kidding- Rate my team hates my team after I use draft dominator. I've found a real disconnect between the two.

And yeah...I stopped watching or even following the NFL about when floppinho was born- 13 years ago. Without fbg I'd have quit long ago.

Honestly it doesn’t matter what I do. 3/4 of my guys are going to get hurt, suspended, sit out or whatever. Every year Rate My Team gives me like a 90% chance of making the playoffs and every year I end up either missing the playoffs or barely sneaking in. 

Long a go there was a time where putting in extra effort and time, and knowing the good FF sites, gave you a distinct advantage. Now, not only does everyone basically have the same access to all the same info, I no longer have time to invest. So at this point fantasy is really just straight up gambling. Who is going to get hurt/suspended and who gets lucky and picks up the waiver wire guy that turns out to be a stud. Fantasy football is 95% luck at this point and my luck has always been terrible

Just finished Yoga for Complete Beginners. Still too hard.  :lmao:

The problem is my toes. They just can't take it. I'll keep doing the parts I can take and try to find a workaround.
My ex's best friend was the host/teacher on Yoga for dummies a bit ago. Wonder if she's still doing this...

Honestly it doesn’t matter what I do. 3/4 of my guys are going to get hurt, suspended, sit out or whatever. Every year Rate My Team gives me like a 90% chance of making the playoffs and every year I end up either missing the playoffs or barely sneaking in. 

Long a go there was a time where putting in extra effort and time, and knowing the good FF sites, gave you a distinct advantage. Now, not only does everyone basically have the same access to all the same info, I no longer have time to invest. So at this point fantasy is really just straight up gambling. Who is going to get hurt/suspended and who gets lucky and picks up the waiver wire guy that turns out to be a stud. Fantasy football is 95% luck at this point and my luck has always been terrible
I think we may be looking for a new owner

This is not a political post, this is a post to laugh at the commercial itself.  This is hilarious.  I mean someone put this together and said "we nailed this"....

Edit: wrong link, can't seem to find the other one now

This is not a political post, this is a post to laugh at the commercial itself.  This is hilarious.  I mean someone put this together and said "we nailed this"....

https://youtu.be/BQVpzCxumGY
I don't see anything wrong with it.   Classic car, no negativity, slipped in a pitch for American manufacturing.   

Actually, after watching it again, it's pretty well done.  Hits family values, American manufacturing, electric vehicles (so climate change), and him being a "good driver" and "in control."   All while focusing on an iconic classic car, suggesting a return to a better time.   I'd rather watch a bunch of commercials like these then endless attack ads.

I don't see anything wrong with it.   Classic car, no negativity, slipped in a pitch for American manufacturing.   
#### I linked the wrong one :bag: :lmao:

Its the Republican ad that smears this ad.   

Finding it can't seem to find it now.  It had graphics from the 90s.

carry on my bad

Welp, this has been a fun day-and-a-half.

While I was at work Tuesday afternoon, the guy who cuts my grass called and said he saw water running down the side of my house. I got home, opened the door, and there's water everywhere. Turns out the water supply to the toilet tank in my guest bathroom had split. It wasn't leaking - water was spraying out and apparently had been for many hours. I shut the water off to the tank and called the plumber to come replace the line, which he did in an hour or so (I'm sure THAT bill will be cheap).

I walked down to my (unfinished) basement and it looked like it was raining. 

Then I called my insurance agent and filed a claim. They called in a remedial contractor, who came yesterday. Tore out all of the carpet, tile in the bathroom, and baseboards. They still have to rip up the laminate flooring in the dining area and kitchen.

I've got furniture and #### piled up everywhere, along with 16 high-powered fans and 4 massive dehumidifiers. They're louder than the ACDC concert I took my brother to in 1979 and I fear I'm going deafer than I already am.

Oh, and I can't imagine what my water bill will be. Plumber told me he reckons it was pumping 6 gallons per minute and I bet it lasted 6-8 hours. He did tell me that if I take his invoice to the Town, they may give me relief.

Fun times at chez Uruk. I'm running on about 3 hours of sleep total the last two nights.

Man, that sucks UH. At least they got the remediation equipment in there quickly. That should prevent mold from becoming an issue.
Thanks, GD. Yeah, I needed the floors gone asap. I am concerned about the walls, though. Those are next to be checked. Water got at least to sill-plate level and I'm afraid some of the insulation may be wet.

Users who are viewing this thread