What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (3 Viewers)

Son 2 went to the Bay Area with frat bros with about $400 to his name. He owes $850 in rent by Tuesday.

He's in his 2nd year of college at UO. It will likely be his last.

In the fall, he presented to us a report card that read:

C-

D+ (yeah!)

F

We spent a million hours of energy and love trying to get him to fix this and get all the help needed to do better....I love him, we want him to succeed we do!

The weekend before exams, in a semester he NEEDED to get back in the game, he went day drinking on vodka punch and had a diabetic emergency that required hospitalization. He had no ID on him. Were it not for his friends, he'd be dead.

He went

F

F

F

I don't know what to do.

I'm the WORST DAD EVER

Well, to follow-up here, it's Finals' week at Oregon and I don't get the sense the miracle semester Son 2 needed to have to stay enrolled at UO is going to happen. He hasn't been officially disqualified from university, but the handwriting is on the wall and he's finally starting to realize that Eugene, Oregon isn't the best place for him to be physically right now. Doesn't help that he lives a block away from his fraternity house. If fraternity life were a major one could earn a degree in, he'd be on the Dean's list, but alas, that's not the case.

So we have to move on.

Funny thing is, I think I may have found on option for him that will be helpful for all of us in the near term and for him in the long term. My dad is almost 80, lives alone in a two story house with plenty of room. He's got a list of medical issues a mile long and he really can't do all the things he needs or wants to do - going to the grocery store, cleaning the house, mowing the yard, cooking, etc. He's a very stubborn old Texan who chased a home health visitor away and refuses to address moving anywhere that even rhymes with "assisted living" and he doesn't want a stranger coming over to help him. So.....enter my son.

Talked to all parties involved and I think this could be the author of a nice turn-around story. My dad needs the help and my son could use a redirection. He has a job waiting for him here, one that pays well and has a boss that wants to try him out as a manager down the line, so that's key. He can help my dad get around to myriad doctor's appointments due to his job flexibility and can do the chores my sister and I have been doing the last few months. He'll have the whole downstairs area to himself, his own room, bathroom, can come and go as he pleases, but I feel like this might give him a little responsibility and help him gain some confidence in himself. Because he's a great kid - my dad adores him and he's not a lovey dovey grandfather - he just lost his way. He's a young 19 too, so he's got time to turn things back around.

I've told my dad and my son that this is temporary - that once my dad is back on his feet, we'll have my son move back home but to be honest, my dad isn't getting back on his feet the way he used to be. He's got 40 radiation treatments coming up and I have to think those are going to really sap him. But hey, he's got hope that he will be just fine and I don't want to dissuade him.

I was also able to get another college kid to sublet the lease from my son starting Sept. 1, so that's a relief. Frigging rent is $870 plus utilities which is staggering to me but tis what it tis. I'll eat the next two months and celebrate when I don't have to come up with the money in the fall. And with that, I'm going to make a promise to myself and type it out here that I will be encouraging my son moving forward and be helpful; what I don't want to do is relitigate the past and throw this in his face. Forward, not backwards. Love is unconditional, but it's time to start making some positive changes.

Phew.

I hope it all works out for everyone involved, gb. All we want is the best for our kids, and it's discouraging when they can't seem to find that same desire for themselves. But most of us have also been there ourselves. Encouragement is probably the correct answer. But please always remember and don't ever forget: The occasional kick in the *** can also provide a form of encouragement.

Hang in there @General Malaise GB.

He has SO MUCH TIME to turn things around. At his age, he'll likely live to 90. Nineteen isn't a child. But almost. He's got 70 years or nearly 100% of his adulthood in front of him.

Keep loving him and making sure he knows you may not be happy with the behavior, he's your son and you love him the person unconditionally. It's a tricky balance but you'll do great with that.

I worry about the fraternity life aspect for mine. I already know she's interested in sororities, and she doesn't like missing out on anything. She's been coughing up a lung for a week now, is on antibiotics, and she's still going out after work with friends every night. Sleep? Who needs sleep when you're sick? What? Why would I worry at all about your decision making skills?

Son 2 went to the Bay Area with frat bros with about $400 to his name. He owes $850 in rent by Tuesday.

C-

D+ (yeah!)

F

We spent a million hours of energy and love trying to get him to fix this and get all the help needed to do better....I love him, we want him to succeed we do!

The weekend before exams, in a semester he NEEDED to get back in the game, he went day drinking on vodka punch and had a diabetic emergency that required hospitalization. He had no ID on him. Were it not for his friends, he'd be dead.

He went

F

F

F

I don't know what to do.

I'm the WORST DAD EVER

Well, to follow-up here, it's Finals' week at Oregon and I don't get the sense the miracle semester Son 2 needed to have to stay enrolled at UO is going to happen. He hasn't been officially disqualified from university, but the handwriting is on the wall and he's finally starting to realize that Eugene, Oregon isn't the best place for him to be physically right now. Doesn't help that he lives a block away from his fraternity house. If fraternity life were a major one could earn a degree in, he'd be on the Dean's list, but alas, that's not the case.

So we have to move on.

Funny thing is, I think I may have found on option for him that will be helpful for all of us in the near term and for him in the long term. My dad is almost 80, lives alone in a two story house with plenty of room. He's got a list of medical issues a mile long and he really can't do all the things he needs or wants to do - going to the grocery store, cleaning the house, mowing the yard, cooking, etc. He's a very stubborn old Texan who chased a home health visitor away and refuses to address moving anywhere that even rhymes with "assisted living" and he doesn't want a stranger coming over to help him. So.....enter my son.

Talked to all parties involved and I think this could be the author of a nice turn-around story. My dad needs the help and my son could use a redirection. He has a job waiting for him here, one that pays well and has a boss that wants to try him out as a manager down the line, so that's key. He can help my dad get around to myriad doctor's appointments due to his job flexibility and can do the chores my sister and I have been doing the last few months. He'll have the whole downstairs area to himself, his own room, bathroom, can come and go as he pleases, but I feel like this might give him a little responsibility and help him gain some confidence in himself. Because he's a great kid - my dad adores him and he's not a lovey dovey grandfather - he just lost his way. He's a young 19 too, so he's got time to turn things back around.

I've told my dad and my son that this is temporary - that once my dad is back on his feet, we'll have my son move back home but to be honest, my dad isn't getting back on his feet the way he used to be. He's got 40 radiation treatments coming up and I have to think those are going to really sap him. But hey, he's got hope that he will be just fine and I don't want to dissuade him.

I was also able to get another college kid to sublet the lease from my son starting Sept. 1, so that's a relief. Frigging rent is $870 plus utilities which is staggering to me but tis what it tis. I'll eat the next two months and celebrate when I don't have to come up with the money in the fall. And with that, I'm going to make a promise to myself and type it out here that I will be encouraging my son moving forward and be helpful; what I don't want to do is relitigate the past and throw this in his face. Forward, not backwards. Love is unconditional, but it's time to start making some positive changes.

Phew.
one of my old friends moved in with his grandpa for similar reasons. probably added another couple years on to the old man's life and helped my buddy get his head straight as he had responsibilities to mind that were bigger than himself.

hopefully this works out similarly for you guys :thumbup:

I hope it all works out for everyone involved, gb. All we want is the best for our kids, and it's discouraging when they can't seem to find that same desire for themselves. But most of us have also been there ourselves. Encouragement is probably the correct answer. But please always remember and don't ever forget: The occasional kick in the *** can also provide a form of encouragement.

Ohhh, he got one of those too. I felt like Dean Wormer talking to the Deltas about grades. My dog was so scared he ran out of the house and hid under our patio table. So there was some of that but for now, I'm just focused on forward.

I worry about the fraternity life aspect for mine. I already know she's interested in sororities, and she doesn't like missing out on anything. She's been coughing up a lung for a week now, is on antibiotics, and she's still going out after work with friends every night. Sleep? Who needs sleep when you're sick? What? Why would I worry at all about your decision making skills?

I wouldn't stress too much about sororities - they tend to do a much better job sheparding their flock to do right, make grades, etc. At least I think that's right.

C-

D+ (yeah!)

F

He went

F

F

F

I don't know what to do.

I'm the WORST DAD EVER

So we have to move on.

Phew.
one of my old friends moved in with his grandpa for similar reasons. probably added another couple years on to the old man's life and helped my buddy get his head straight as he had responsibilities to mind that were bigger than himself.

hopefully this works out similarly for you guys :thumbup:

Thanks GB. Yeah, this will be beneficial for both. My dad is good at making suggestions and giving advice without being heavy-handed. A good listener. Patient. They also have the same diet, so cooking will be a cinch. I don't think my dad has knowingly eaten a fruit or vegetable since he was a kid. :lmao:

Related to GM's post, my 19-year-old son is close to hopefully taking a step forward. Graduated last year. He knew college was not for him. Moved from Oregon back to Minnesota with us right after graduation. He's been working crappy jobs and blowing all his money since we got back. But he signed himself up for trade school (welding), and it starts in August.

Supposedly they guarantee you a job if you finish the one-year program, and average starting salary is almost $70k.

Man, I sure hope he follows through and completes the program. Would be a huge step forward for him.

Related to GM's post, my 19-year-old son is close to hopefully taking a step forward. Graduated last year. He knew college was not for him. Moved from Oregon back to Minnesota with us right after graduation. He's been working crappy jobs and blowing all his money since we got back. But he signed himself up for trade school (welding), and it starts in August.

Supposedly they guarantee you a job if you finish the one-year program, and average starting salary is almost $70k.

Man, I sure hope he follows through and completes the program. Would be a huge step forward for him.
welding is a lucrative job :thumbup:

Ohhh, he got one of those too. I felt like Dean Wormer talking to the Deltas about grades. My dog was so scared he ran out of the house and hid under our patio table. So there was some of that but for now, I'm just focused on forward.
I had to field a phone call from my dad after my first semester. His question? What exactly is academic probation. And whytf are you on it? He knew what is was. He just wanted me to squirm. I sorta straightened up and am mostly functional.

Your boy will be OK. Send him my way if needed. I’ll dispense some truths. :lmao:

That's awesome. For tons of young people, college is a waste of time and money and picking a focused direction like this is a great thing. And like GM's son, you son is so young, he's got ages to course correct if this isn't the path he wants. But I'm a big believer in picking a direction and getting moving like that. Best to him.

underwater welding is a lucrative job :thumbup:
fixed

:shock:

underwater welding is a lucrative job :thumbup:
fixed

:shock:
:goodposting: one of my homies is an underwater welder. he has toys and fun money.

Was just gonna say something about underwater welding. When I was just a young buck (late 90's/early 2000's) living up in the Bay Area, CA... a roommate of mine was an underwater welder on bridge projects and made a disgusting amount of money for a guy in his late-mid 20's.

Wonder if Type 1 Diabetes would be a non-starter for underwater welding....guessing medical emergencies with a diving tank would make insurance companies squeamish.

Wonder if Type 1 Diabetes would be a non-starter for underwater welding....guessing medical emergencies with a diving tank would make insurance companies squeamish.
I’ve been certified forever. Not doing any underwater welding but I’ve never had any dive company ask about diabetes specifically . :shrug:

Good to know, thanks buddy. All options on the table. I think deep down this kid wants to finish his college education. His first year wasn't a total bust, he was doing fine. He also earned quite a few college credits from HS classes, so he's got a decent base to continue when he's ready. I think some CC is in his future too. My dad will push the trade schools on him as he's pretty well versed there but will do it in a way that won't come across as pushy - he'll present the option, let him know what those guys make, etc and then let my son mull it over.

With climate change impacting our region, HVAC wouldn't be an awful idea either. When I moved to the Portland area in the 90s, apartment leasing agents would laugh in my face when I asked about A/C. My first home didn't have it either. My oh my how things have changed. And goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood luck finding an HVAC guy when you need it most.

With climate change impacting our region, HVAC wouldn't be an awful idea either. When I moved to the Portland area in the 90s, apartment leasing agents would laugh in my face when I asked about A/C. My first home didn't have it either. My oh my how things have changed. And goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood luck finding an HVAC guy when you need it most.
my nephew just graduated this week
starts at an HVAC company in a month
Starts at $27 CAN with no experience , can get up to $80 after schooling and ticketing

my nephew just graduated this week
starts at an HVAC company in a month
Starts at $27 CAN with no experience , can get up to $80 after schooling and ticketing

That's another one that seems good. HVAC seems like it will always be in need. And doesn't seem to be going to be automated anytime soon. That's the one worry I'd have with welding but then everything has some worry.

If I was going into the trades, I'd study to be an electrician. Once you hit journeyman you can make 6 figures, and even the apprentices I know are doing pretty well, plus all the ones I know do side jobs whenever they feel like it. They all also tell me trade schools aren't the way to go. You just find a place that needs help and start working, then take the tests to get licensed once you have some experience and enough hours on the job. I'm sure all the states are different, but Washington and Oregon tend to have similar requirements.

If I was going into the trades, I'd study to be an electrician. Once you hit journeyman you can make 6 figures, and even the apprentices I know are doing pretty well, plus all the ones I know do side jobs whenever they feel like it. They all also tell me trade schools aren't the way to go. You just find a place that needs help and start working, then take the tests to get licensed once you have some experience and enough hours on the job. I'm sure all the states are different, but Washington and Oregon tend to have similar requirements.
Thanks. I've wondered that about the Trade Schools too.

Plumbing is also excellent. It's (obviously) sometimes messy/dirty work. But seems like it'll always be in need.

One of my young friends started in that a few years ago. I told him, "If you just show up on time, you'll be the best plumber in town".

He's crushing it now.
I use this anology all the time with my cheap boss in an unrelated industry, "When the **** backs up, the plumber always gets paid."

Plumbing is also excellent. It's (obviously) sometimes messy/dirty work. But seems like it'll always be in need.

One of my young friends started in that a few years ago. I told him, "If you just show up on time, you'll be the best plumber in town".

He's crushing it now.
Careful w/ plumbing. I know a few plumbers that have ended up with terrible back problems. If you're gonna go that route, plan on getting out early and perhaps just own a plumbing company and let the young bucks handle the "work". Maybe mix in some yoga and definitely watch your weight.

Linemen for the power company can make 250K+. Unfortunately it can come with some 80 hour weeks and working in terrible conditions, and there’s always the chance at getting fried

In general I think you can make a nice living doing any of the trades, but you will work your *** off.

Solar and renewables. There is a lot of happening that is going to make this even more impactful over the next few years. Behind the scenes advances in sustainability and other areas of improvement specifically in solar and going to surprise some folks.

Linemen for the power company can make 250K+. Unfortunately it can come with some 80 hour weeks and working in terrible conditions, and there’s always the chance at getting fried

In general I think you can make a nice living doing any of the trades, but you will work your *** off.
I was a Tool & Die Maker/Machinist for 18yrs. Good money for sure. Not $250k money, but good.

Blue collar workers are a dying breed, but they are pretty lucrative.

He's crushing it now.

my brother went into pipe fitting instead of plumbing. he is red seal ticketed now and making 6 figures a year

I was trying to figure out how I could get the job driving the Zamboni at NHL games, but the commute to Utah probably makes that problematic.

Big machine operation/driving also a high paid career route.
I knew a guy that drove the giant thing that does the final grade on freeways. He was rolling in dough. But he only worked over nights.
Man, this reminds me of a job I *ALMOST* got about 15ish years ago. It was for a German company that was trying to expand their market share in the US for heavy equipment that worked on highways. They wanted to hire me to drive all over Texas and the surrounding states to "pre-sell" to contractors working on highway projects. I would have been in a work truck 3 weeks out of the month; man that would have been a lot as a new dad.

I’ve done every trade in my contracting life and I can tell you with absolute certainty that if I had to do it all over again I would be an electrician.

My 16 year old son will be a tradesman and I am guiding him to be an electrician. The reasons:

1. HVAC: weather dependent, especially if you work in residential

2. Plumbing: At some point you are dealing with someone’s ****. Literally.

3. Welding: heavy duty work in most forms. Hard work on your body.

4. Roofing. No way.

5. Carpenters/Framers: A lot of variabilities and uncertainty at times during economic issues.

Every trade job will pay well, but if I’m starting over I’m trying to get into an electrical union right after high school and do my 30 years as a journeyman.

I’ve done every trade in my contracting life and I can tell you with absolute certainty that if I had to do it all over again I would be an electrician.

My 16 year old son will be a tradesman and I am guiding him to be an electrician. The reasons:

4. Roofing. No way.

5. Carpenters/Framers: A lot of variabilities and uncertainty at times during economic issues.

Every trade job will pay well, but if I’m starting over I’m trying to get into an electrical union right after high school and do my 30 years as a journeyman.
Also, electricians don't even have to clean up after they're done.

4. Roofing. No way.

My father in law is an electrician, can confirm

His biggest complaint is he always seems to be outside in the winter and in someone’s attic in the summer

He’s self employed and not yet retired but he’s pretty selective with his work now. It’s definitely been nice having all of our stuff at home done for just the cost of materials though

4. Roofing. No way.

My father in law is an electrician, can confirm

His biggest complaint is he always seems to be outside in the winter and in someone’s attic in the summer

He’s self employed and not yet retired but he’s pretty selective with his work now. It’s definitely been nice having all of our stuff at home done for just the cost of materials though
Marshall Patrick has some pretty funny YouTube skits trying to teach an electrician how to use a broom.

I had some electrical work done a month ago, and I'm still finding wire clippings laying around everywhere.

Although, to be fair, at $200 an hour, I'd rather do the cleanup myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread