What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Good Times Ahead (1 Viewer)

Update: (45 days later)
 Looking at my receipts, on Jan, 8, gas for my truck was $2.18 per gallon. I filled up my truck for about $43.
I filled up yesterday. Gasoline was at $2.89. I filled up my truck for about $57.
I fill up my truck about every 10 days....that's an additional $500 / year.

My wife's car takes Premium Gas. She doesn't fill up as often but the gas is up to $3.20/gal.
I filled her car up yesterday. It cost $60.

There is a new crisis at out southern border...and...
...looking forward to the tax hikes!
Welcome back.  

Pandemics has changed history.  Do you think the left played them to their benefit?  
Not really. The public health response was botched on multiple fronts, predicted vaccine uptake is suboptimal and no progressive policy has really been promoted by the pandemic.

But to be fair, I’m not certain whom you include in “the left”.

Not really. The public health response was botched on multiple fronts, predicted vaccine uptake is suboptimal and no progressive policy has really been promoted by the pandemic.

I’m on the left and I disagree with you.  The COVID bill has a bunch of progressive stuff in it that might have been more difficult to pass had it not been for the pandemic.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that but it seems silly to act like it didn’t happen.

It's pretty unlikely that we'll experience another major pandemic in any of our lifetimes.  That said, I don't see how anybody could look at how we handled a relatively mild one like covid-19 and express confidence that we're well-prepared for the next one.  Our regulatory agencies lied to us about masks and drug their feet on vaccine approvals, and it feels as if there's only like a dozen or so of us who have any problem with that.  Also, let's not forget that it took about three months or so for everybody in the US just to casually accept that we just couldn't be bothered to do testing and contact tracing -- I still think it's kind of wild that we don't even talk about that anymore.    

Everybody has had just about enough of covid-19, but I think we all should be incredibly grateful to the gods of bat virology that covid isn't that contagious, isn't that deadly, and mostly just passes over young and healthy people.  This could have been vastly worse and I have zero faith that our response would have been any better. 

That said, I do take solace in knowing that New England now has to overpay for free agents like other mid-tier teams, so at least there's that.  
I would hope we have learned to let the political people get out of the way...IMO that is what helped with Warp Speed getting on track.

I think we should be better prepared...whether we will be (both from a government standpoint and as a people) is another story.  I agree that its hard to be confident in that.

I’m on the left and I disagree with you.  The COVID bill has a bunch of progressive stuff in it that might have been more difficult to pass had it not been for the pandemic.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that but it seems silly to act like it didn’t happen.
Fair enough. I haven’t scrutinized the Covid relief bill at all. Regardless, I don’t consider a few progressive programs tacked onto the bill as overwhelming evidence that the left “played” the pandemic.

I’m always an optimist anyhow but I honestly think things look bright:

1. Within a few more months, no more than a half a year, Covid is going to be behind us. I also think we will better prepared for future pandemics. 
2. The economy is going to be rebuilt mostly thanks to Biden’s Covid Relief deal. I love how it reduces child poverty as well. Look for an economic boom. 
3. We still have to deal with climate change but we’re back on the right track to doing so. 
4. Trumpism is dead. Hopefully the GOP will return to being a rational alternative to the left. But if it takes them a few years of losing in the meantime, we’ll muddle through. 
5. The New England Patriots won’t win another SB for years to come. Maybe not Brady either after this year. 

It’s all looking good! 
there was no covid relief bill - there was a 1.4 trillion spending package

I see

1. $3.50 at the pump fuel in Arkansas, $5.50-$6.00 in California

2. 20% increase in grocery store prices

3. 15-20 Trillion in debt added in the next 3 years

4. gun ban of some kind that will impact only law abiding people and ignore criminals

5. massive humanitarian issue at the southern border now that its basically open

6. the economy will grind to a halt with inflation, no new jobs, this push for burger flippers to get $15 an hour .... its going to get bad

7. continued segregation/division

I'm not hopeful at all 

Any elected federal official who could make a difference.  No doubt it was botched at many levels, mainly from Trump.

adding state level also, hate to leave these governors out.

Last edited by a moderator:
there was no covid relief bill - there was a 1.4 trillion spending package

I see

1. $3.50 at the pump fuel in Arkansas, $5.50-$6.00 in California

2. 20% increase in grocery store prices

3. 15-20 Trillion in debt added in the next 3 years

4. gun ban of some kind that will impact only law abiding people and ignore criminals

5. massive humanitarian issue at the southern border now that its basically open

6. the economy will grind to a halt with inflation, no new jobs, this push for burger flippers to get $15 an hour .... its going to get bad

7. continued segregation/division

I'm not hopeful at all 
Makes Trumps rhetoric and bungling of (LIBERATE MICHIGAN) Covid even more baffling.  Was there noone around him who would say "Y'know...Donald...your obnoxiousness is at a 10...if you tone it down to an 8.....it will REALLY help your re-election" or "Y'know Donald....before you tweet out LIBERATE MICHIGAN/MINNESOTA/VIRGINIA.....maybe we should REALLY get a better grasp on this COVID thing"

This guy should have hired me as a consultant....he'd have won 40 states.  

Makes Trumps rhetoric and bungling of (LIBERATE MICHIGAN) Covid even more baffling.  Was there noone around him who would say "Y'know...Donald...your obnoxiousness is at a 10...if you tone it down to an 8.....it will REALLY help your re-election" or "Y'know Donald....before you tweet out LIBERATE MICHIGAN/MINNESOTA/VIRGINIA.....maybe we should REALLY get a better grasp on this COVID thing"

If he handled Covid responsibly he'd have been re-elected. Handling it responsibly also helps consumer confidence, the economic benefit (or lessening of economic pain) was there for taking. He doubled-down on the wrong strategy. He also could have easily sold 10's of millions of Trump masks so it's sort of surprising he didn't.

If he handled Covid responsibly he'd have been re-elected. Handling it responsibly also helps consumer confidence, the economic benefit (or lessening of economic pain) was there for taking. He doubled-down on the wrong strategy. He also could have easily sold 10's of millions of Trump masks so it's sort of surprising he didn't.
I agree.  The guy came dangerously close to being reelected despite completely bungling the pandemic.  If he had handled it with the slightest bit of competence or showed just some minimal level of leadership, he'd be president right now.

Of course, competence and leadership aren't really Trump's bag.

The chinese government doesn't really care what their people think.  You do bring up some interesting points.  One thing they have is a pile of cash.
The issue is that once they start doing true colonializing of Southeast Asia and Africa, those won't be Chinese people.  They will have to deal with those regions in an entirely different manner.  Could you imagine how China would deal with a 9/11 type attack from a middle east jihadist group?

The issue is that once they start doing true colonializing of Southeast Asia and Africa, those won't be Chinese people.  They will have to deal with those regions in an entirely different manner.  Could you imagine how China would deal with a 9/11 type attack from a middle east jihadist group?
It's an interesting premise.  Obviously the type attack would likely be different.  I can't imagine it would be easy to carry out such an attack in China given the security and intelligence setup within the country.  I haven't been there but I can't imagine people from other ethnic backgrounds and countries would be left alone enough to pull something large scale off without a high degree of difficulty. 

I think he had some of those people when he started.  He fired them and hired yes-men.  The best Advisors don’t mean a thing if Trump is t going to listen.

1. Operation Warp Speed will still be successful and Trump still won't get the credit he deserves.
2. BLM/Antifa domestic terrorism and riots will actually get worse.
3. Bidens border crisis will get worse.
4. Taxes (and inflation) will increase due to the obscene amount of pork in the "Covid Relief".
5. Incompetent Dem Governors from NY, CA, and MI will be removed from office.
Bonus: Tampa Bay (and Tom Brady) will win the Superbowl again.
Just wanted to add "Gets us into war." for the record.

1. Operation Warp Speed will still be successful and Trump still won't get the credit he deserves.
4. Taxes (and inflation) will increase due to the obscene amount of pork in the "Covid Relief".
Also want to add: Biden single handedly gets the "dislike" button removed from YouTube.

1. Within a few more months, no more than a half a year, Covid is going to be behind us. I also think we will better prepared for future pandemics. 
2. The economy is going to be rebuilt mostly thanks to Biden’s Covid Relief deal. I love how it reduces child poverty as well. Look for an economic boom. 
3. We still have to deal with climate change but we’re back on the right track to doing so. 
4. Trumpism is dead. Hopefully the GOP will return to being a rational alternative to the left. But if it takes them a few years of losing in the meantime, we’ll muddle through. 
5. The New England Patriots won’t win another SB for years to come. Maybe not Brady either after this year. 
1. we will learn to live with covid and variants. We will learn to live with people who get it, and people who die. It will become acceptable

2. how can covid relief be an economic rebuilder? I thought it was covid relief? LOL .... regardless, 5 trillion spent should result in something I guess

3. Biden said - literally - "The United States accounts, as all of you know, for less than 15 percent of carbon emissions. The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent. That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord, because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to matter." Joe Biden

4. there was never "Trumpism" - that's a made up word by liberal left

5. Brady has a great shot to win it again this year but yes, Patriots lost when they let Tom go

3. Biden said - literally - "The United States accounts, as all of you know, for less than 15 percent of carbon emissions. The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent. That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord, because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to matter." Joe Biden
It's a fool's errand to think that the Paris Accord will have a measurable effect.

The Paris agreement is a purity test.
No. It’s extremely important. It’s proclaiming that we will take part in the worldwide effort to combat climate change. We need to do more than take part, we need to lead it. Beyond the issue of science, if we want to compete with China for global trade dominance, this is the way to do it. 

No. It’s extremely important. It’s proclaiming that we will take part in the worldwide effort to combat climate change. We need to do more than take part, we need to lead it. Beyond the issue of science, if we want to compete with China for global trade dominance, this is the way to do it. 
time will tell

but the world doesn't follow the USA anymore IMO, "leading" is something we want far more than the rest of the world wants - but someone out there will be billionaires off the money the USA pours into this agreement that's for sure

if we want to compete with China for global trade dominance, this is the way to do it. 
We're ceding trade competitiveness, not competing for it.  

If we want to lead we need to be the ones to develop zero emissions energy technologies that are cheaper than coal and nat gas.  Period.  Full stop.  Until then we'll have China/India, etc. burning away.  Our monies are infinitely better spent in this capacity than the giveaway that is the Paris agreement.

If you think China, India, and others will actually follow through on their part of the agreement I want some of what you're smoking.

We're ceding trade competitiveness, not competing for it.  

If we want to lead we need to be the ones to develop zero emissions energy technologies that are cheaper than coal and nat gas.  Period.  Full stop.  Until then we'll have China/India, etc. burning away.  Our monies are infinitely better spent in this capacity than the giveaway that is the Paris agreement.

If you think China, India, and others will actually follow through on their part of the agreement I want some of what you're smoking.
I know very little about this but I guess I would wonder why Chian and India wouldn’t also want to be leaders in these energy technologies.  I’ve often heard that we need to be the leader and I have no issue with that but I’m always perplexed why we think these other countries wouldn’t do the same.  I assume they would like the advantage and the potential eco benefit.

I’m always an optimist anyhow but I honestly think things look bright:

It’s all looking good! 

Update?

Yes thank you. 

This will be my last post in the political forum for quite some time, possibly forever (who knows?) I’m quitting because I’m bored and frustrated with posts like this one. There’s no attempt to discuss issues, or to engage in debate. It’s designed to be a big “gotcha!” because I was wrong about a few predictions I made. I could discuss why I was wrong but I won’t because such a discussion is meaningless to the ugly tribal attitudes that have taken over here- there is only winning and losing, conservatives vs liberals. Have I contributed to creating the atmosphere in here? Unfortunately I have. But it doesn’t matter, I’m sick of it, sick of the trolling and the insults. And yes I’ve done my share of those as well. But Im still sick of it. And so Im done. 

Good luck .

Yes thank you. 

This will be my last post in the political forum for quite some time, possibly forever (who knows?) I’m quitting because I’m bored and frustrated with posts like this one. There’s no attempt to discuss issues, or to engage in debate. It’s designed to be a big “gotcha!” because I was wrong about a few predictions I made. I could discuss why I was wrong but I won’t because such a discussion is meaningless to the ugly tribal attitudes that have taken over here- there is only winning and losing, conservatives vs liberals. Have I contributed to creating the atmosphere in here? Unfortunately I have. But it doesn’t matter, I’m sick of it, sick of the trolling and the insults. And yes I’ve done my share of those as well. But Im still sick of it. And so Im done. 

Good luck .
The PSF can still be enjoyable.  You just need to put a healthy selection of posters on ignore and resist the urge to open their posts.  I'd be happy to share my ignore list with you if you're interested.

Yes thank you. 

Good luck .
Good. Go outside. Enjoy life. We're not meant to argue over the internet. I've been guilty of this plenty over the last 3-4 years. That's why I quit twitter. The more people that take a break from arguing over social media, the better our society will be. 

Yes thank you. 

Good luck .
Your life will be better for it

Unless (I assume ) you’re just going to spend as much time arguing politics on a different site 

Good. Go outside. Enjoy life. We're not meant to argue over the internet. I've been guilty of this plenty over the last 3-4 years. That's why I quit twitter. The more people that take a break from arguing over social media, the better our society will be. 
absolutely.  I find this place (Political forum) best to deal with in 2-3 month increments. I'll post hard for a couple months and then take a couple months off.  Im just repeating the same points towards the ends of each cycle anyway.

Find some other hobbies. Unfortunately I pick expensive hobbies, so my spending cycles are the inverse of my postings here.  I'll post here more while I'm saving up for my next adventure. 

There’s no attempt to discuss issues, or to engage in debate.

ummmm   ......   you're the one quitting without discussing or engaging 

You just need to put a healthy selection of posters on ignore and resist the urge to open their posts.  I'd be happy to share my ignore list with you if you're interested.

one of the most closed minded things a person can do - ignore anyone who doesn't agree with you?  what did tim say ... no attempt to discuss issues or engage? 

see that? 

I'll never understand coming to a public political forum and only wanting to discuss with people who agree .... blows my mind

He's not really that far off.

1. Covid is mostly behind us.  The delta variant was an unwelcome surprise, but it's doing the overwhelming majority of its damage to people who voluntarily chose not to get vaccinated.  For the rest of us, it's no big deal aside from the scare-mongering from the MSM.

2. The economy is doing pretty well.  I don't know that that really has anything to do with Biden specifically, but Biden hasn't made things worse.  (I know inflation is becoming an issue, but some of that dates back to spending that took place during the previous administration, and regardless the Fed knows how to deal with inflation).

3.  We're very slowly sciencing our way out of climate change.  I would like to see more urgency, but I can't say that tim's prediction on this one is wrong per se.   

4.  This one is definitely wrong.

5.  New England has a pretty mediocre roster thanks to years of bad drafting.  An amateur hour Dan-Snyder-esque FA spree isn't nearly enough to fix things.  New England figures to be the third best team in its own division for the next few seasons.  They might back into a playoff berth somehow because it's the NFL, but is anybody out there seriously scared of this team?  Also, I'll happily take the field vs. a 61 year old Tom Brady.

Overall, I'd say tim went 3-1-1 and here.

ummmm   ......   you're the one quitting without discussing or engaging 

one of the most closed minded things a person can do - ignore anyone who doesn't agree with you?  what did tim say ... no attempt to discuss issues or engage? 

see that? 

I'll never understand coming to a public political forum and only wanting to discuss with people who agree .... blows my mind
Same..To me that's just immature.  But hey, some people can't handle it and if that's their way of dealing with dissenting opinions who can fault them.

As I said before..This board moved past Tim.  Long time ago.  People started actually telling him he was wrong and for a guy like that, it was way too much to take.   However I see it massively unlikely he is gone forever.  Way too big of an ego for that.  

Same..To me that's just immature.  But hey, some people can't handle it and if that's their way of dealing with dissenting opinions who can fault them.

As I said before..This board moved past Tim.  Long time ago.  People started actually telling him he was wrong and for a guy like that, it was way too much to take.   However I see it massively unlikely he is gone forever.  Way too big of an ego for that.  

I like to be told I'm wrong

because then, I have to think through exactly why I'm not ad sometimes I find that I can't .... and those times I realize the foundations of my belief in whatever is not solid and I have to reconstruct 

doing that is impossible if everyone shakes their head in agreement all the time

absolutely.  I find this place (Political forum) best to deal with in 2-3 month increments. I'll post hard for a couple months and then take a couple months off.  Im just repeating the same points towards the ends of each cycle anyway.

Find some other hobbies. Unfortunately I pick expensive hobbies, so my spending cycles are the inverse of my postings here.  I'll post here more while I'm saving up for my next adventure. 
Yup. I came back to the PSF because of Afghanistan. I know this place can be a source of great information at times, as seen by your posts that are much appreciated. I'll comment a little to get my POV across but avoid most debate. Just not worth the effort.  Hopefully it will be resolved as well as can be expected after the horrid beginning so I can go about my day ignoring this sub forum again until the next big news story.

Good luck Tim.

I like to be told I'm wrong

because then, I have to think through exactly why I'm not ad sometimes I find that I can't .... and those times I realize the foundations of my belief in whatever is not solid and I have to reconstruct 

doing that is impossible if everyone shakes their head in agreement all the time
I'm told I am wrong on this board so many times I feel like a punching bag at times.  But I don't mind.  

I mean, I posted my own predictions.
Update?

:P

1. Covid is mostly behind us.  The delta variant was an unwelcome surprise, but it's doing the overwhelming majority of its damage to people who voluntarily chose not to get vaccinated.  For the rest of us, it's no big deal aside from the scare-mongering from the MSM.
Delta variant has peaked in the South.  This is great news, as we down here were destined to be the worst off.  I find it pretty amazing that we've come real close, but not quite, to busting our hospital capacity.  

Let's hope more variants don't pop up like this one.  Tim wasn't too far off here (probably).  Although whether we're better prepared for future pandemics depends on what bugs leak out of the Shenzen Ebola Test Facility and Guangzhou SARS Gain of Function Lab.

LOL. Mixed bag I'd say.

So 1,3, & 4 look good imo. I missed on 2. and 5 is kinda playing out now.

New England has a pretty mediocre roster thanks to years of bad drafting.  An amateur hour Dan-Snyder-esque FA spree isn't nearly enough to fix things.  New England figures to be the third best team in its own division for the next few seasons.  They might back into a playoff berth somehow because it's the NFL, but is anybody out there seriously scared of this team?  Also, I'll happily take the field vs. a 61 year old Tom Brady.
Sure, I'd go with the field over the Bucs, but let's not pretend Tom Brady = the Bucs.  The rest of their rooster is really good.

Update?

:P

Delta variant has peaked in the South.  This is great news, as we down here were destined to be the worst off.  I find it pretty amazing that we've come real close, but not quite, to busting our hospital capacity.  

Let's hope more variants don't pop up like this one.  Tim wasn't too far off here (probably).

Are we thinking a variant like Delta would cause a similar spike?  I thought the most recent thinking is that we are going to be getting close to herd immunity soon in some areas - wouldn't a new variant that would cause a spike be more that we start from square one?

Are we thinking a variant like Delta would cause a similar spike?  I thought the most recent thinking is that we are going to be getting close to herd immunity soon in some areas - wouldn't a new variant that would cause a spike be more that we start from square one?
If we get a variant for which the vaccines are much less effective we could get another spike.  I doubt we ever go back to square one, though.  COVID doesn't seem to mutate that fast.

If we get a variant for which the vaccines are much less effective we could get another spike.  I doubt we ever go back to square one, though.  COVID doesn't seem to mutate that fast.

Yeah, I've always assumed that "much less effective" would mean that we are kind of back to square one.  But I fully admit I don't understand the science on most of this.

Users who are viewing this thread