What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Got into a hit & run fender bender last week (5 Viewers)

Just got off the phone with insurance. The whole issue is I don't have collision coverage, only liability. There's really nothing my insurance company can do for me other than try to track the guy down and get his info. The agent is telling me most other agents wouldn't have gone this far. When she spoke to him this morning she asked for his insurance information and he refused, instead asking to work some thing out. She is going to call him now and try again. If she does get his insurance information all she can do if file a claim on my behalf and then I'm on my own. I would have to deal directly with his insurance company and/or him. They would inspect my car and pay me the damage, or they could even fight the claim.
Yeah.  This sounds like what I was talking about with when the guy rear ended me.  My insurance company was like, "Sorry.  We did all we could."  And so I had to deal directly with his insurance company.  And the guy told me, "I called and he's not answering, so I can't say it was my client's fault.  We can't even prove he was involved."  I told them I took a picture of him and his license.  The guy said, "Oh yeah?  Let's see it."  I sent it over via email and 10 minutes later they called me back to have me come in and get an estimate.  Insurance agents are the new used car salesman.  

After you filed a report with the police, what did they do? If he fled the scene of an accident, that's a misdemeanor, right? The police should be doing more, I would think. 

As for your insurance, this is what you are paying them for. Your agent isn't doing something special for you or going above and beyond. I'd consider changing companies after this gets resolved.
If no one is hurt, this call will not take high priority.  It will still get looked into as soon as possible, but they might be doing other things before this.  If they have the license plate, they know where the car is located and who it's registered to.  So they will usually go out to that residence within 24 hours to meet with the owner.  

Again, if no one is hurt, it's just going to be a ticket.  An expensive ticket, but still just a ticket.  

OK, big update. Just got off the phone with insurance and they got his insurance information and filed a claim on my behalf. Now I have to deal with his claims adjuster. Guy begged her to call me and try to work something out but once she got his info she filed a claim. Told him the reason he "left so quick" was because his dog had died. She said he sounded shady.

He told my insurance he thought I took off so he left. We were blocking traffic so I did move my car and parked it about 4 spots away from the collision. I searched for my insurance info in glove box. Came out with it and saw the back of his car for a split second as he drove up the exit ramp. Would say time from accident to him bolting was less than 30 seconds.
Which is it?  No way I'm dealing with this schmuck. 

I'm not an insurance guy, but deal with insurance claims periodically.  An insurance guy could say for sure but it makes sense to me that it matters that he doesn't have collision insurance.  He's filing a claim with his company that isn't part of his policy.

Nipsey got hit.  Nipsey needs to file a claim.  if Nipsey has third party's insurance info he can file the claim directly with third party's insurance or file the claim with his insurance company who will work the claim and file a subrogation claim with the third party's insurance.

Nipsey's insurance isn't typically going to play middle man to get the third party insurance to work the claim start to finish on his behalf.  If that's how you want it done, you file the claim on the third party's insurance and they direct everything.  Nipsey's insurance will work the claim, cut the checks, and seek reimbursement - but not if his policy (collision) doesn't cover it.

If this isn't a collision claim what kind of claim would it be?

If this isn't a collision claim what kind of claim would it be?
 Nipsey doesn't have physical damage coverage (comp/collision) on his car. So for his insurance company, it's no type of claim at all. They have no obligation to be involved at all. They don't provide PD for Nipsey so they have no skin in the game.

For the other guy, the damages to Nipsey's are a liability/property damage claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
 Nipsey doesn't have physical damage coverage (comp/collision) on his car. So for his insurance company, it's no type of claim at all. They have no obligation to be involved at all. They don't provide PD for Nipsey so they have no skin in the game.

For the other guy, the damages to Nipsey's are a liability/property damage claim.
yeah, I know.  we're agreeing...if you expect your insurance company to do something it typically starts with a claim.

There is no scenario (as far as I know) where Nipsey's insurance company would demand that the other guy's insurance fix Nipsey's car.  Nipsey's insurance would fix the car and demand reimbursement.  That would start with a collision claim which he isn't covered for.

I read the first page so pardon me if this has been recommended. I'd go through insurance, not press charges. That's just me. You might have to be a witness on a hit and run charge, which would bring license suspension and need a hearing.

You don't need that ish. Drop it.

I had a drunk driver full on rear end me before.  After getting out of the car and talking, he took off once he knew we had already called the cops.  He was too drunk to remember he had already handed me his information though.  So I knew exactly who he was and where he lived.  Police didn't care.  Anyway, the guy calls me and up and says the same you heard, let's not go through insurance.  So I drove my car to a bunch of auto places telling them the situation until I got a really high estimate.  Sent it to him and said, if you're willing to pay this, we're square.  He paid it.  I traded the car in and that plus the money he paid was more than I bought the car for.  :shrug:

I had a drunk driver full on rear end me before.  After getting out of the car and talking, he took off once he knew we had already called the cops.  He was too drunk to remember he had already handed me his information though.  So I knew exactly who he was and where he lived.  Police didn't care.  Anyway, the guy calls me and up and says the same you heard, let's not go through insurance.  So I drove my car to a bunch of auto places telling them the situation until I got a really high estimate.  Sent it to him and said, if you're willing to pay this, we're square.  He paid it.  I traded the car in and that plus the money he paid was more than I bought the car for.  :shrug:
In CT -- and other places -- you can take your car to the body shop of your choice until you get the estimate you want. 

are there any video camera in the parking garage? 
Maybe but I didn't ask. The accident/fault is pretty cut & dry. His drivers side back bumper is all scratched up. My drivers side front near the tire is dented. No other way it went down then he backed into me. He's admitted to everything to my insurance who has him on tape. I guess they first sent him a tersely worded letter which he responded too. When he left a message for the agent he said something to the effect of "I backed into your client". Then when she called him back he explained and admitted everything.

I read the first page so pardon me if this has been recommended. I'd go through insurance, not press charges. That's just me. You might have to be a witness on a hit and run charge, which would bring license suspension and need a hearing.

You don't need that ish. Drop it.
I feel the same way. I didn't do anything wrong and the guy took off but for some reason I feel like #### about it. Hate stuff like this.

I feel the same way. I didn't do anything wrong and the guy took off but for some reason I feel like #### about it. Hate stuff like this.
I'ts happened to me, too. My car was already so damaged I just said forget it and went through insurance w/o the police. You do indeed feel like crap explaining it to the ins. company. Anyway, it sucks. Best of luck.

Which is it?  No way I'm dealing with this schmuck. 
He was on the phone with the agent for awhile. They kept going back and forth, he kept pleading with her to have me call him and she was saying why I wouldn't. That's when he came up with all the excuses. I do feel bad for the guy. If I could have worked it out with him and felt comfortable the guy wouldn't have tried to screw me i would have. 

I'ts happened to me, too. My car was already so damaged I just said forget it and went through insurance w/o the police. You do indeed feel like crap explaining it to the ins. company. Anyway, it sucks. Best of luck.
I already filed the collision report after being told by insurance it was in my interest to do so. I don't even think he knows a report was filed.

I already filed the collision report after being told by insurance it was in my interest to do so. I don't even think he knows a report was filed.
Got it. So it might be inevitable then. Police can use business records that insurance companies keep as evidence of a crime without any hearsay issue. It's an exception. 

Don’t deal with this shady guy.   Deal with his insurance company.   Not that you need them but did you get any witness statements?   

I just got off the phone with his insurance company. Gave them my statement. Sent them the photos the witness took. They sent me an app where you take pictures of the damage and they give you an estimate.

Glad I tracked the guy down and hopefully will be paid for my damages by still feel like #### about this. Do I call the police and amend the collision report to say I tracked the guy down and filed a claim with his insurance? Feel like his rates going up is punishment enough. Not even sure the police do anything other than file a report so it's on record.

I just got off the phone with his insurance company. Gave them my statement. Sent them the photos the witness took. They sent me an app where you take pictures of the damage and they give you an estimate.

Glad I tracked the guy down and hopefully will be paid for my damages by still feel like #### about this. Do I call the police and amend the collision report to say I tracked the guy down and filed a claim with his insurance? Feel like his rates going up is punishment enough. Not even sure the police do anything other than file a report so it's on record.
Why do you feel bad?

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

The guy left the scene of the accident. That’s a crime and just an awful thing to do. 

There is no reason at all you should feel bad. He didn’t. People like him need to feel the bite for the their wrongs otherwise they will continue to do it again and again. He still might not learn his lesson. 

If you need to feel guilt for some reason, feel bad for the next guy he hits and runs on. His next victim might be a single mom who needs her car to get her kids to school and work. 

Can’t even fathom feeling bad for this Richard. 

Why do you feel bad?
Because if I didn't go to the store that day this wouldn't have happened. Feel like if he has to pay thousands more per year and gets a hit and run ticket on top of that the punishment outweighs the crime. If the damage is only cosmetic it's fairly minor. Yeah the guy bolted but still he's going to pay way more than the damage caused.

Because if I didn't go to the store that day this wouldn't have happened. Feel like if he has to pay thousands more per year and gets a hit and run ticket on top of that the punishment outweighs the crime. If the damage is only cosmetic it's fairly minor. Yeah the guy bolted but still he's going to pay way more than the damage caused.
With that kind of reasoning, nothing I can say will change your mind.  

But letting people off the hook only allows them to hurt someone else later who might not be able to afford it.  

then why didn't he stick around after the accident to 'try and work something out' instead of going through insurance? once he bolted, all bets are off. #### that guy.

But yet he was more than fine with sticking you with paying to fix damage he caused, by running in the first place and not expecting to get caught. 

Ef that guy.  He's a scumbag. He's told different lies to different people about why he ran. I'll repeat again..he's a scumbag. You shouldn't feel bad about any pain that comes out of this for him. He did it to himself and should be held accountable. 

yeah, I know.  we're agreeing...if you expect your insurance company to do something it typically starts with a claim.

There is no scenario (as far as I know) where Nipsey's insurance company would demand that the other guy's insurance fix Nipsey's car.  Nipsey's insurance would fix the car and demand reimbursement.  That would start with a collision claim which he isn't covered for.
As I said, I was involved in an accident without collision insurance, where the other party was 100% at fault. I filed a claim, and my insurer contacted theirs (as it turns out, the same company). I took photos which I sent to an adjuster, and the company cut me a check.

If I understand things correctly, the other party's liability insurance covered the cost of the claim. I initiated the claim, though we both spoke with insurance reps to give our account of the accident. Those statements determined she was entirely at fault, which ultimately led to me being paid for the estimated cost of repairs.

Then why are you trying to get extra cash from him?

If you really feel bad, don't ask for cash or involve the insurance company. Ask him for whatever he thinks is fair for your time and the damage he caused. Or ask for nothing, and just drive a dented old car.

then why didn't he stick around after the accident to 'try and work something out' instead of going through insurance? once he bolted, all bets are off. #### that guy.
The guy said to my insurance that he didn't bolt. He left because he thought I drove away. I don't believe him but I don't know for sure what the guy was thinking. The time from him backing into me to him leaving was about 30 seconds. He did speed out of there too. I never got out of my car. I was still in a little shock that I got hit and after maybe 10 seconds i just wanted to move the car forward so that we weren't blocking traffic. I may have raised a finger to say hold on. Once I moved the car someone honked at me as I was blocking them from pulling out of their spot so I ended up pulling it into a spot about 4 spots away in the same row as the guy who hit me. Went to the glove box to grab my insurance info and when I got out I see him driving off.

The guy left the scene of the accident. That’s a crime and just an awful thing to do. 

There is no reason at all you should feel bad. He didn’t. People like him need to feel the bite for the their wrongs otherwise they will continue to do it again and again. He still might not learn his lesson. 

If you need to feel guilt for some reason, feel bad for the next guy he hits and runs on. His next victim might be a single mom who needs her car to get her kids to school and work. 

Can’t even fathom feeling bad for this Richard. 
What about his dog?

Then why are you trying to get extra cash from him?

If you really feel bad, don't ask for cash or involve the insurance company. Ask him for whatever he thinks is fair for your time and the damage he caused. Or ask for nothing, and just drive a dented old car.
I didn't try to get extra cash from him. I went through the insurance company. HE said to my insurance agent that he was interested in "working something out". I started the thread asking for advice. I never spoke with him or tried to get anything from him. I wondered if anyone had experience with this type of thing.

If we had gotten into a fender bender and the damage to my car was a few hundred bucks...if he said after the accident, "hey let's not involve insurance, I'll just pay you for the damages" and my response was "I'll bypass insurance if you pay me 3k", then I would be total richard in that situation. That is not even close to what happened here. Guy hit my car, drove off and when he got caught he wanted to make a deal. I passed because I felt I couldn't trust the guy based on our initial interaction. I did consider it though and I wonder if it would have been a better outcome for both of us.

I didn't try to get extra cash from him. I went through the insurance company. HE said to my insurance agent that he was interested in "working something out". I started the thread asking for advice. I never spoke with him or tried to get anything from him. I wondered if anyone had experience with this type of thing.
Sorry if I misinterpreted your posting. I think the disconnect is it seems like a no-brainer this guy is shady, and shouldn't be trusted. With that in mind, it's hard to understand why you would want to accommodate his request to pay you directly. Unless you think you will benefit financially, which was supported in one of your early posts where you asked about getting a "high-end" estimate.

In my accident, the other party was civil and didn't flee the scene. They asked to settle outside insurance. I got an estimate, and even asked to exclude several hundred dollars for what seemed like an unnecessary "electrical sensor" check for airbag deployment. When I provided the estimate, the woman who hit me asked multiple questions about the quote, and called the body company directly to attempt to dismiss some of the damages as unrelated to the accident.

At that point, after wasting my time taking the car in and playing phone tag to coordinate the timing of payment (she wanted to pay the shop directly, after the repairs were done), I decided she didn't deserve to be let off the hook. I filed a insurance claim, and the resulting estimate was quite a bit more than the one I obtained. So I ended up with more $, and she surely saw an increase in her insurance premiums.

It was way less effort once the insurance co got involved. I highly recommend you do the same, and stop assuming the guy who hit you will ever try and do the right thing.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your posting. I think the disconnect is it seems like a no-brainer this guy is shady, and shouldn't be trusted. With that in mind, it's hard to understand why you would want to accommodate his request to pay you directly. Unless you think you will benefit financially, which was supported in one of your early posts where you asked about getting a "high-end" estimate.

In my accident, the other party was civil and didn't flee the scene. They asked to settle outside insurance. I got an estimate, and even asked to exclude several hundred dollars for what seemed like an unnecessary "electrical sensor" check for airbag deployment. When I provided the estimate, the woman who hit me asked multiple questions about the quote, and called the body company directly to attempt to dismiss some of the damages as unrelated to the accident.

At that point, after wasting my time taking the car in and playing phone tag to coordinate the timing of payment (she wanted to pay the shop directly, after the repairs were done), I decided she didn't deserve to be let off the hook. I filed a insurance claim, and the resulting estimate was quite a bit more than the one I obtained. So I ended up with more $, and she surely saw an increase in her insurance premiums.

It was way less effort once the insurance co got involved. I highly recommend you do the same, and stop assuming the guy who hit you will ever try and do the right thing.
The reasons I would have dealt with him directly were because I thought maybe that would just be easier and because I'm not a vindictive guy. Maybe I could have gotten more than the estimate but I don't even know what the estimate is yet. I know he whacked the car out of alignment and from reading about this stuff I see I probably will have a tough time getting reimbursed for that. So ease, locking in cash so i can fix whatever issues arise outside of the cosmetic stuff and I don't feel like punishing the guy. Seems like it would have been mutually beneficial to deal with this outside of insurance. After reading all the stories and advice like yours here i decided against it. Glad I tracked the guy down and won't have to go in pocket but not celebrating that the guy's rates will skyrocket. Just the way I'm wired. Wish it never happened obviously.

The reasons I would have dealt with him directly were because I thought maybe that would just be easier and because I'm not a vindictive guy. Maybe I could have gotten more than the estimate but I don't even know what the estimate is yet. I know he whacked the car out of alignment and from reading about this stuff I see I probably will have a tough time getting reimbursed for that. So ease, locking in cash so i can fix whatever issues arise outside of the cosmetic stuff and I don't feel like punishing the guy. Seems like it would have been mutually beneficial to deal with this outside of insurance. After reading all the stories and advice like yours here i decided against it. Glad I tracked the guy down and won't have to go in pocket but not celebrating that the guy's rates will skyrocket. Just the way I'm wired. Wish it never happened obviously.
I’m not vindictive either, but some people don’t deserve your trust or the benefit of the doubt. This guy hit and run and has lied repeatedly, so I see no reason to worry about the financial/legal consequences of his actions. As others have said, you may be saving his next victim by letting him know what he did was wrong, and not letting him buy his way out of trouble.

Sorry you had this experience. Good luck getting your car repaired.

You're not vindictive and you feel bad for him, but you also thought if you went through insurance you'd ONLY get what the estimate was.

You're all over the map here, GB.

I wouldn't give another thought to the guy who ran into you - he's not worth even your mental time.  Personally, the only one involved that I'd still think about is the witness who helped you out.  If I were in your shoes, I'd at least send him a nice thank you note, and maybe include some kind of gift card - especially if I ended up getting more money from the insurance than I had to spend actually fixing the car.  Assuming you have his info, of course.  That was seriously cool and helpful what he did for you.

I wouldn't give another thought to the guy who ran into you - he's not worth even your mental time.  Personally, the only one involved that I'd still think about is the witness who helped you out.  If I were in your shoes, I'd at least send him a nice thank you note, and maybe include some kind of gift card - especially if I ended up getting more money from the insurance than I had to spend actually fixing the car.  Assuming you have his info, of course.  That was seriously cool and helpful what he did for you.
I agree. Was thinking like Amazon gift card. What would be the proper amount? $50? $100?

THIS is the key point nipsey.  All his verbiage about wanting to work with you is BS because he got caught.  STOP FEELING BAD.
I hung out with a buddy last night who was echoing this thread and saying exactly this. I guess part of me felt guilty even though none of this was my fault. I don't know why. After talking to friends and the insurance companies those feelings are subsiding. I know I ended up handling it the right way.

No.  I don't think you get to take advantage of him for personal gain and also be the good guy.  
How would I have been taking advantage of him? I didn't contact him and demand an amount. I didn't contact him at all. He's begging my insurance adjuster to have me call him so he can take care of this. I still don't even know how much the damage is. At the start of the thread I was looking for advice. I asked about maybe getting an estimate that was on the "higher end". Should I have gone with one on the lower end? Personal gain??? Jesus.

How would I have been taking advantage of him? I didn't contact him and demand an amount. I didn't contact him at all. He's begging my insurance adjuster to have me call him so he can take care of this. I still don't even know how much the damage is. At the start of the thread I was looking for advice. I asked about maybe getting an estimate that was on the "higher end". Should I have gone with one on the lower end? Personal gain??? Jesus.
First off, GB, no ill will.  

What I'm saying is that on one hand you're saying you'd rather not go through insurance because that would cause him a headache.  But your solution to avoiding the headache is charging him more than what he would normally pay if his insurance wasn't an issue.  You're more than welcome to do that, but then you can't say you feel bad the guy might be penalized a lot.

By asking for him to pay more than what a normal estimate would be, even though you are saving him money, you are still taking advantage of his situation.  If you truly felt bad for the guy, you'd give him an estimate and have him pay it.  If you don't feel bad for the guy, you tell him you'd work around the insurance, but you expect more money to keep quiet.  You can't be the good guy if you are taking advantage of his situation, even if he put himself in that situation.

First off, GB, no ill will.  

What I'm saying is that on one hand you're saying you'd rather not go through insurance because that would cause him a headache.  But your solution to avoiding the headache is charging him more than what he would normally pay if his insurance wasn't an issue.  You're more than welcome to do that, but then you can't say you feel bad the guy might be penalized a lot.

By asking for him to pay more than what a normal estimate would be, even though you are saving him money, you are still taking advantage of his situation.  If you truly felt bad for the guy, you'd give him an estimate and have him pay it.  If you don't feel bad for the guy, you tell him you'd work around the insurance, but you expect more money to keep quiet.  You can't be the good guy if you are taking advantage of his situation, even if he put himself in that situation.
Charging him more than what? I didn't (and still don't) know the amount of the damages. When I started the thread I had just gotten off the phone with my insurance who gave me his name and number and said the guy wanted to work something out. I asked here IF guy wanted to pay above and beyond, is that something I should consider. Should I deal with a guy who hit me and ran? Do I just throw out an amount? Do I get multiple estimates? No estimate at all? Never been in a hit and run before where I tracked the guy down and he's asking to play ball. Uncharted territory. I was looking for advice. I didn't end up going down that road. I never contacted him. And yes, I could have asked him for an amount to settle and felt bad at the same time. If I saw this situation as some kind of opportunity to really cash in I would have lawyer'd up, no? I resent your last sentence. No idea how potentially responding to the guy's plea to work something out (a guy who hit me and took off) as to allow them to avoid involving their insurance could be considered "taking advantage of his situation".

Users who are viewing this thread