What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I did post about this in the Trump thread, I agree that we shouldn’t necessarily bash him- we should be bashing the Republican Party and the conservative movement in general. That is because they have a decades old policy of slashing public health resources, of viewing them as unimportant. Every time Republicans get into power this is what they do, and it’s the main reason we appear to be so woefully unprepared for situations like this. 
I didn't, but it was out of line.  I actually commented on it, then I hid it, when I saw a Moderator took care of it.  

If Rush says it's a plot to get Trump..then a lot of people in this country are going to think it's a plot to get Trump.

The President can either back that up......or say there should be legitimate concern.....but party of me thinks Trumps major concern on this issue has to do with his perception that the Market needs stabilization in order to help his election chances. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The government response has not been very impressive so far. It's a schizophrenic mixture of false bravado and keystone cop flailing.
From the Foreign Policy article:

For the United States, the answers are especially worrying because the government has intentionally rendered itself incapable. In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure. In numerous phone calls and emails with key agencies across the U.S. government, the only consistent response I encountered was distressed confusion. If the United States still has a clear chain of command for pandemic response, the White House urgently needs to clarify what it is—not just for the public but for the government itself, which largely finds itself in the dark.

Remember, its a well-oiled machine.  I'm told.

I'm not too upset by what Trump has said so far.  I don't blame him for trying to convey optimism.

I do not have any faith in his leadership of the government in a crisis though, so I hope for all our sakes that warming weather helps put a lid on the spread of the virus before it takes full root.  Because in a country with widespread outbreaks, I think Trump is absolutely terrible at using the full force of government to help its people.

I disagree, respectfully, of course.  I believe Ivanka and Donald Junior ought to be the point of the spear on this.  They ought to visit as many sick and infected persons and treatment facilities as possible to learn all they can.  They ought to be put in direct contact with these folks, exposed to the facts, as it were.  Then they should report back to their dad, in person.  Donald should then embrace and kiss his daughter to thank her for her service.
What the......wow.

:o

That doesn’t do me any good @Cowboysfan8. Whatever decisions he makes affects me and mine. 
The general posted that this should be an easy speech tonight for the president. You quoted him and commented that you don’t believe a damn thing he says and that you’re sure other people don’t either. My reply to you was so don’t watch.....

Of course his decisions affect all of us, me and mine too.

But I’m not sure what the hell that has to do with what we were discussing earlier about his speech, if you’re not gonna believe a word of it don’t watch it it’s pretty simple

FP

- I'm not sure I entirely disagreed with Boots - agreed, now is not the time for politics - but then addressing the needs means addressing the mistakes, especially those based around the ideologically driven purges being made these days.
As far as politics are concerned I'd have to guess that Trump sees this the same way a mayor sees a big snow storm.  That whether or not he can keep the streets cleared and businesses open will determine his re-election chances more than anything else.    For the last two GOP presidents  many think that Katrina stuck a nail in W's second term (though I'd argue that there was plenty of other stuff in 2005) and Andrew doomed HW's hopes.  Whether you agree or not for the Bush presidencies, or how problematic the analogy from weather to disease   might be, or how incompetent the president might seem I tend to think that this would be something that he would instinctively stress. 

Looks like we may have some insight on which direction this press conference is heading.

Trump Administration Pressed On Coronavirus Preparedness

President Trump will hold a news conference Wednesday afternoon about the rapidly spreading coronavirus, as fears have sent the stock market into a spiral and Republican and Democratic leaders have questioned the administration's response.

Trump announced the event in a tweet and said it was a retort to media outlets such as CNN and MSNBC trying to "make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible."

"Low Ratings Fake News MSDNC (Comcast) & @CNN are doing everything possible to make the Caronavirus look as bad as possible, including panicking markets, if possible. Likewise their incompetent Do Nothing Democrat comrades are all talk, no action. USA in great shape! @CDCgov....."

Charlie Kirk (@charliekirk11)

2/26/20, 1:51 PM

BREAKING:

Three Chinese nationals were apprehended trying to cross our Southern border illegally

Each had flu-like symptoms

Border patrol quickly quarantined them and assessed any threat of Coronavirus

Our weak border is a health risk

Close the border—Build. The. Wall.

BREAKING:

Three Chinese nationals were apprehended trying to cross our Southern border illegally

Odds this is fake?

BREAKING:

Wouldn’t they just come across our northern border? 

he shouldn't be allowed in the country for deciding to use the Southern border to get to the US.  Seriously was that the cheapest way to get to America was to stop in mexico   :lmao:

But yeah probably  just another sad attempt to "own the libs" 

Except that I don’t go in with an open mind. I go in thinking this man is a liar and not to be trusted. And I don’t think I’m the only one who thinks this. 
He's likely reading from a script, not speculating (as much) about the virus, etc.

This will likely be more of a speech where he tries to calm everyone down and that the fundamentals of America's economy remain strong, the number of cases in the US have been limited (but prepared for any new cases), etc.

He's likely reading from a script, not speculating (as much) about the virus, etc.

This will likely be more of a speech where he tries to calm everyone down and that the fundamentals of America's economy remain strong, the number of cases in the US have been limited (but prepared for any new cases), etc.
Maybe. But Don Jr. just tweeted that this is why we need to secure our borders and why tariffs are a good thing. 

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
yes I am sure securing our borders will solve the problem.  I mean there is no chance a white person will get this virus. 

Plus as we all know airborne viruses have no chance against a wall where parts of it fell down on a strong wind.

BREAKING:

Maybe. But Don Jr. just tweeted that this is why we need to secure our borders and why tariffs are a good thing. 
Ah, we can see what "strategy" they landed on during their group text.

So if something unfortunate (AND I AM NOT ASKING FOR THIS)  happens to someone who is conservative, are they just going to say he or she was murdered by the Deep State.  

If this is really the plan to tell people about this virus then we are so screwed.

A lot of rhetoric rolling around here and elsewhere, it seems.  From my data based view it seems we've managed to contain what exposure we have so far.  Note there is no guarantee any amount of effort would be successful in containing this if we have a major breakout.

I also remember back to the CDC response to the ebola issue and they handled it very well.  Until I see that we've definitively dropped the ball I'm thinking we're in good hands.  My biggest frustration is that the CDC wasn't allowed into Wuhan or I believe we'd have a much, much better handle on this thing.  This is all on China.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Amused to Death said:
Hours before the news conference, three sick Chinese nationals just happen to be caught at our southern border. Maybe. I wonder how many sick people are crossing our northern border, not that anyone seems to care.
Canadian hockey players have been known to have the flu.

Skoo said:
Fun Fact: Trump eliminated a position called Senior Director of Global Health Security. That person used to work in the NSC to coordinate responses to global health emergencies and potential pandemics.
Sounds like a good way to save us all money. Should pay off going forward.

If Trump comes out and assures the country every is okay and we are working to contain it—then people will complain he is downplaying it. 

If Trump comes out and says this is a terrible, deadly thing and we need to be afraid—then people will say he is a fear-monger. 

People that hate Trump, will hate Trunp after this  speech. People that like him, will like him after this speech. 

CNN and other outlets already have negative articles up on their main pages and the speech has yet to begin. 

If Trump comes out and assures the country every is okay and we are working to contain it—then people will complain he is downplaying it. 

If Trump comes out and says this is a terrible, deadly thing and we need to be afraid—then people will say he is a fear-monger. 

People that hate Trump, will hate Trunp after this  speech. People that like him, will like him after this speech. 

CNN and other outlets already have negative articles up on their main pages and the speech has yet to begin. 
How many times does someone have to mislead and, or, lie to you before you hate them? 1? 2? 20? 100? 1000? 10,000?  Because we're approaching 20,000 with Trump. 

In other words: Trump is being Trump while briefing the country on the virus.
He help up the map showing you, sorry you don’t like that your POTUS has done a great job protecting you from a deadly virus. Also the Health and Human Services Secretary is currently explaining to you what a great job he has done so go ahead and tune in. 

He help up the map showing you, sorry you don’t like that your POTUS has done a great job protecting you from a deadly virus. Also the Health and Human Services Secretary is currently explaining to you what a great job he has done so go ahead and tune in. 
Why did they cut spending and personnel? Should we thank Trump for that as well? 

Why did they cut spending and personnel? Should we thank Trump for that as well? 
He just said he will approve whatever amount congress agrees upon for this so yes you should thank him. Maybe also throw some Trump 2020 signs in your yard. 

We’ll see what happens. It may happen it may not. Master class in BS. The stock market, its something I know a lot about. ##### bout the wall. Speaker Pelosi rant. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread