What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditkaless Wonders said:
I disagree, respectfully, of course.  I believe Ivanka and Donald Junior ought to be the point of the spear on this.  They ought to visit as many sick and infected persons and treatment facilities as possible to learn all they can.  They ought to be put in direct contact with these folks, exposed to the facts, as it were.  Then they should report back to their dad, in person.  Donald should then embrace and kiss his daughter to thank her for her service.
Peak Trump Hatred Syndrome.

Calling for the president and his family to be infected with coronavirus.

I heard he's giving out "MAGA" masks at his next rally. I don't know if its true but many people are saying this, so who knows.
he won't be guarantee you that there will be about 4 or 5 vendors traveling all the US trying to sell them.   

Although if the virus is a big nothing burger that is no worse than the sniffles, why do you need masks to begin with?    

This narrative that the dow went down like a rocket was because of the Democratic debates is rich.  I mean I guess he is talking about last week's debate since yesterday's one occurred AFTER the market closed.   And even if it was based on last week's debates,  apparently it was a very slow reaction because the market was okay on Friday and Monday and then started go ape#### on Tuesday

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Fun Fact:

Dow futures turned from positive to negative during Trump’s coronavirus news conference.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1232822336283463682
I wonder if this turned when he opened the possibilities of China/Italy-esque City or state wide quarantines.  

Not surprising and I don't totally disagree but that was a eye opener that he admitted that, felt like futures fell on that.  I was watching on CNBC I wish I video taped it as they were updating live

Glad Trump went on record saying there will soon be no cases. He owns this. So in an election year, when transparency is vital to save lives, if the emphasis is on protecting markets and not people, we can measure his performance against that zero number he promised. 
If only reality mattered.

On vacation and just saw Pence has been put in charge of covid 19.  Lmao

Now they’re just taking the piss.   

Speaker Pelosi:

"The American people need a well-coordinated, whole-of-government, fully-funded response to keep them safe from the coronavirus threat. Unfortunately, the Trump Administration has mounted an opaque and chaotic response to this outbreak."

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1232863105752891402
Where's Nancy's plan?  What stops the House from taking this up?

What is the House putting on the floor?  Flavored tobacco.

I believe it’s about 50 times worse than the flu.
I just read this

The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention is reporting COVID-19 is up to 20 times more deadly than the flu, with a fatality rate of about 2.3% (in the U.S., seasonal flu's fatality rate is about 0.1%), the Times reports.

a 2.3% fatality rate ....

What is the mortality rate of the flu?

While estimates of case-fatality (CF) rates for past influenza pandemics have ranged from about 0.1% (1957 and 1968 pandemics) to 20% (1918 pandemic); the official World Health Organization estimate for the current outbreak of H5N1 avian influenza to date is around 60%.

I just read this

The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention is reporting COVID-19 is up to 20 times more deadly than the flu, with a fatality rate of about 2.3% (in the U.S., seasonal flu's fatality rate is about 0.1%), the Times reports.

While estimates of case-fatality (CF) rates for past influenza pandemics have ranged from about 0.1% (1957 and 1968 pandemics) to 20% (1918 pandemic); the official World Health Organization estimate for the current outbreak of H5N1 avian influenza to date is around 60%.
Just for fairness:

We have a vaccine for the flu that prevents many of the most serious strains of the flu.  Take away the flu vaccine and I wonder what the mortality is then.  

I just read this

Death rate

So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data. 

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu. 

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times. 

Even so, the death rate for COVID-19 varied by location and an individual’s age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. Nobody 9 and under has died of this coronavirus to date. 
https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

I’m glad Pence is in charge.  Although I disagree with many of his politics, he is a  competent government leader.
Pence is one of the worst people in the government to put in charge of this if you want to quell panic.  His actions helped lead to a significant HIV outbreak in Indiana, and his response was slow, far too limited, and based in political ideology rather than science.

Reporter made him aware of price gouging on masks, he’s on it just like that. Boom!
Another way to read this is that apparently a reporter had to inform the President of unavailability of masks and price gouging. There’s Pence and what 5-6 top health officials on stage with Trump and he had to learn this from a reporter. That’s not good.

Another way to read this is that apparently a reporter had to inform the President of unavailability of masks and price gouging. There’s Pence and what 5-6 top health officials on stage with Trump and he had to learn this from a reporter. That’s not good.
Yeah can’t believe this has gone on for months and they never realized it. 🙄

More fake news. 

The Commish said:
This is actually bringing Dems and GOPers together best I can tell.  Neither "side" seems to believe we are ready to go and the White House (Kudlow specifically) is saying its taken care of and everything is fine.  It seems odd that there is a request for $2.5 billion out there.  If we are to believe all the evidence we have before us, that's not nearly enough to address the problem that will most likely be with us for some years to come.....especially knowing that the White House wants to CUT CDC funding.

ETA:  They need a point person yesterday to be on top of this to minimize impact.....preferably NOT a close personal friend of the President or one of his family members but someone from that dreaded area of science who knows what's going on.
Well....so much for that :kicksrock:  

Since fatality rate is based on people who are infected (whether or not they die) it should be the same. 
That’s simply not the case.

There are several strains of influenza.  We’ve seen that with the implementation of the flu vaccine that severe cases and numbers of death have gone down. 

If we have a similar vaccine for coronavirus, death rates may be the same.  

The virus may not inherently be more deadly—we’ve just spent less time preparing for and studying it.

The age distribution matters.  Have we seen a higher percentage of elderly getting the virus??

Shouldn't the urgency around getting this contained be because we don't want to have to deal with it like we do the flu every year?  That's the emergency, right?  I get that it is more deadly at the moment, but it feels like there is a small window to contain this thing so that it doesn't become a permanent staple in our yearly cycles like the flu is.  That was the concern with SARS correct?  

Oh, and up thread, somewhere someone was asking where the House was with their plan.  Was that a serious question?  It's not the job of the Senate or the House to come up with a plan.  It's up to them to provide the funding for the plan the administration comes up with.  It's up to the administration to figure out how to move forward through the experts they have on their staff.  That becomes problematic when there is a constant desire to cut funding from the very groups equipped to handle those things.  Now this is in the hands of Pence and whomever he decides to put on it.  I just hope he learned something from his HIV debacle otherwise, this virus is going to be something we are dealing with (like the flu) for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottomfeeder Sports said:
As far as politics are concerned I'd have to guess that Trump sees this the same way a mayor sees a big snow storm.  That whether or not he can keep the streets cleared and businesses open will determine his re-election chances more than anything else.    For the last two GOP presidents  many think that Katrina stuck a nail in W's second term (though I'd argue that there was plenty of other stuff in 2005) and Andrew doomed HW's hopes.  Whether you agree or not for the Bush presidencies, or how problematic the analogy from weather to disease   might be, or how incompetent the president might seem I tend to think that this would be something that he would instinctively stress. 
I didn't see the press conference so my remarks are based on reading news articles and the forum so maybe skewed, but my impression is that I was wrong here.  Trump is taking the stock market as the threat to his re-election and not the response to this potential crisis.   Now I'm not arguing that the worst case imaginable is inevitable because of Trump  nor even arguing that he "doesn't get it" just saying that he doesn't show that he gets it when a dozen other tangents get discussed.   Hopefully either the administration has been on top of this all along (one way or another) and/or the virus doesn't have the "shelf life" to survive to make it much more of a big deal than it already is.  Hopefully!

That’s simply not the case.

There are several strains of influenza.  We’ve seen that with the implementation of the flu vaccine that severe cases and numbers of death have gone down. 

If we have a similar vaccine for coronavirus, death rates may be the same.  

The virus may not inherently be more deadly—we’ve just spent less time preparing for and studying it.

The age distribution matters.  Have we seen a higher percentage of elderly getting the virus??
The number of deaths isn’t the fatality rate. 

The number of deaths isn’t the fatality rate. 
I feel like you’re going after semantics and ignoring the point.  The flu is a deadly virus.  Less people die from it because of vaccines.

As deaths go down, fatality rate goes down.

Trump isn’t sophisticated. He’s concerned that the stock market is affected by the pandemic threat. So he reacts because the market - supposedly - reacted to the threat. Now he does a presser and he reaffirms that, why yes he says the market is worried about the threat - but hey folks there’s nothing to worry about so... happy investing. But now if the market goes down further it appears to be in response to his response to the threat. It’s a vicious cycle. If Trump wanted to insulate himself - and the market - he should have separated these things, treat them as unlinked. But Trump himself wholeheartedly buys into such narratives. Axiomatically he thinks if the market’s doing great he’s doing great and he invites people to participate in that self gratifying fallacy. That carries risks as well.

In my opinion, it's not about the percentage of elderly getting the virus. It's about the percentage of serious illness in those infected with COVID-19 who are old. I'd bet the number is high. And I'd place more money on a bet that an even higher percentage of serious illness from COVID-19 are old and/or have a serious medical condition.

As far as Pence goes, he may not know much about science, but he is simply superb at offering nauseating public praise of President Trump which is reminiscent of Molotov praising Stalin. And that’s important if you want to accomplish anything in Washington these days. 

Only if infection rate stays the same. 
The heart of my argument was that the flu is in fact a deadly virus which has been blunted by vaccines.  You’re determined to turn play “gotcha” on the semantics.  You win.  If the infection rate changes, blah blah blah.

The flu was once worse than it is today..  We’ve studied it for decades and made it leas deadly. 

But I concede all future arguments on semantics, fatality rate, or your attempts to play “gotcha.”

Once we’ve studied this, and have a vaccine, we will have less infections and less deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread