What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know we are already at around 8% just with kids alone.  And no, kids aren't "fine"...not with delta...
The kids, as a whole, are fine. They are already doing better than the vaccinated adult population, delta or otherwise.
IIRC from the other thread, you're basing this strictly on the mortality rates of kids vs. adults, though. And further, explicitly choosing not to evaluate infirmity or suffering in the calculus.

I dropped it because I lost the thread over there on just what you were opposing: " ... don't support X because 'kids are fine' compared to adults ... " -- I had forgotten what X was (!).

IMO there should be a testing option. I'm not a fan of forced mandates by the government. I could see requiring the vaccine for schools and the military like many vaccines are currently, but the vaccine isn't even approved for 5-11 year olds yet. The timing on this isn't right IMO. They should absolutely prioritize approving the vaccine for 5-11 year olds first before going down the road of mandates. In the meantime encouraging employers, etc. 

Agree here. If you want to roll the dice with COVID, take hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin, inject yourself with bleach etc. etc. well, that is your hill to die on (perhaps literally). Just let me and all of my family take the vaccine so I don't have to deal with all the halfwits on the hill.

I'm hesitant about the government mandating anything at this point. I just don't think we have very bright people in office and done once, it sets precedent for all future occurrences. Not saying the previous administration was smarter, wouldn't trust them either. This is a very slippery slope we are heading toward.
“Many of you will have to die…..and that’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.”

But let's continue this line of thinking anyway.  Who is determining if it is unsafe or not?
Double blind studies? If you really are a stats guy, it should be pretty easy to determine what is safer - vaccinated vs. unvaccinated.

I just don't think we have very bright people in office and done once, it sets precedent for all future occurrences ... This is a very slippery slope we are heading toward.
Future occurrences of what, specifically? Without an ongoing pandemic with similar contagion,  infirmity, and mortality ... no precedent will apply. If some kind of overreach is attempted during a future pandemic of the sniffles, or in a time where there is no pandemic at all, the populace and the courts will be able to mount meaningful pushback.

Future occurrences of what, specifically? Without an ongoing pandemic with similar contagion,  infirmity, and mortality ... no precedent will apply. If some kind of overreach is attempted during a future pandemic of the sniffles, or in a time where there is no pandemic at all, the populace and the courts will be able to mount meaningful pushback.
If we have another pandemic that has a readily available vaccine, hopefully we mandate it even sooner :shrug:  

Different situations, different ethics. Case by case, always. No one covering rule. Quite often, "freedom" is the overriding determinative concept in a given situation -- but sometimes, "freedom" takes a back seat to something else.

The freedom to apply wisdom to a narrow, extreme situation and meaningfully relinquish a tiny measure of freedom, to serve a greater good, is also a valuable tool in our societal decision-making arsenal. The U.S. Constitution was never equivalent to The Anarchist's Cookbook.
No.  Freedom is a right.  They don't get to tell you that you can vote this election, but not the next.  Nice try in twisting it so it makes it ok THIS TIME.  

IIRC from the other thread, you're basing this strictly on the mortality rates of kids vs. adults, though. And further, explicitly choosing not to evaluate infirmity or suffering in the calculus.

I dropped it because I lost the thread over there on just what you were opposing: " ... don't support X because 'kids are fine' compared to adults ... " -- I had forgotten what X was (!).
I'm opposing the idea that we should base any decisions about easing restrictions on whether kids under 12 are vax eligible. 

I think most agree that once all adults (or nearly all) have been vaxxed, we can then ease restrictions because outcomes will improve in terms of mortality, infections, general sickness. If so, then why would we even consider vax eligibility for unvaxxed children  under 12 necessary for easing restrictions when children already have the outcomes desired for the adult vaxxed population?

No.  Freedom is a right.  They don't get to tell you that you can vote this election, but not the next.  Nice try in twisting it so it makes it ok THIS TIME.  
I'm not going to engage at length ... but I don't agree that the raw concept of "freedom" is a human right. In the sense that absolute freedom is curtailed and constrained by any system of laws.

I'm not going to engage at length ... but I don't agree that the raw concept of "freedom" is a human right. In the sense that absolute freedom is curtailed and constrained by any system of laws.
As long as you're willing to show up and get whatever shot they tell you to get next time.  

Feel free to make a counter-argument -- a mere declaration is not particularly compelling.
Ever heard of the saying having your cake and eating it too?  That's what you're trying to do.  You can't say it's ok THIS TIME but maybe it won't be NEXT TIME.  It's either wrong or right for the government to force you to take a vaccine.  You pick.

Or you can use faulty logic and we will just sit here and watch you twist yourself into knots.  

I'm hesitant about the government mandating anything at this point. I just don't think we have very bright people in office and done once, it sets precedent for all future occurrences. Not saying the previous administration was smarter, wouldn't trust them either. This is a very slippery slope we are heading toward.

Just imagine if this was October of last year, the vaccine was just released and Trump mandates all businesses needed to have their employees vaccinated or pay the government fines for non compliance. 

:shrug:  I don't have a specific example in mind but this will be used for something other than it's intended if the courts support it. I can almost guarantee it. The best example I can think of is the Patriot Act. This is what I have in the back of my head when hearing the government is telling you we need this and this is how we are going to make you do it.

And to be clear, I'm vaccinated and fully support vaccines, just not convinced the government telling us to do it is the right approach.

Ever heard of the saying having your cake and eating it too?  That's what you're trying to do.  You can't say it's ok THIS TIME but maybe it won't be NEXT TIME.  It's either wrong or right for the government to force you to take a vaccine.  You pick. 
Nope -- I reject your ethical framework out of hand. You've presented a false dilemma and excluded that I can also choose to eat some portion of the cake, and then reserve a portion of the cake for later. There's an entire spectrum between the "right" and "wrong" you've presented, and I'm not bound to choose one or the other of the extreme endpoints.

The "having your cake" thing is an aphorism, not a basis for an ethical debate.

Just imagine if this was October of last year, the vaccine was just released and Trump mandates all businesses needed to have their employees vaccinated or pay the government fines for non compliance. 
I don't understand this argument?  What's the difference if Trump does this or Biden does this?  You either agree the vaccine is a good thing, or you don't want to get jabbed.

If Trump had encouraged the vaccine, I can guarantee you that the US would be as high as most of the other Western countries in vaccination rate.

I don't understand this argument?  What's the difference if Trump does this or Biden does this?  You either agree the vaccine is a good thing, or you don't want to get jabbed.

If Trump had encouraged the vaccine, I can guarantee you that the US would be as high as most of the other Western countries in vaccination rate.
Pretty much.

To the second part it definitely would have helped.

I’m really torn on this.  I’ve said all along that Biden and other political leaders should use almost any lever they have to get people to take the vaccine but always stopped short of a government mandate (beyond government employees).  I think people should have the right to be stupid and even kill them selves (taking dewormer) or put themselves in harms way (no vaccine).  I don’t know how much jeopardy they are putting others in that can’t be vaccinated (kids and those medically unable) compared with other diseases.  The fact that our cases and deaths are so high still leads me to acquiesce to this order but it doesn’t feel right.

I think they probably could have taken a different route that I could have been “happier” about.  Tax breaks vs. penalties comes to mind.  I will say that companies are probably thanking Biden profusely as it takes the heat off of them being the bad guys - could be a big influencer on why they did it.

I'm very pro-vaccine, but very anti-mandate.

How is the COVID pandemic enough of a threat to individual life or liberty to warrant the suspension of personal freedom?  I know the mortality rates are higher than anything else this widespread, but what is that threshold and how do we know we have hit a point of this being a national level threat to our entire populace?

Like someone said above, it isn't even approved for children under 12, yet we can force the entire adult populace to take it?  Again, I want everyone to get the vaccine, but in no way shape or form do I believe we should be forcing it on people.

I believe in this like I believe in the 2nd amendment.  There are some freedoms that are worth preserving despite the dangers to the population if for nothing else than the larger scale dangers which they hold at bay.  More people will die if we don't mandate the vaccine, but I don't think stopping those deaths is worth the precedence this would set.  I believe it is important enough to allow our people the choice to endanger themselves by refusing the vaccine and the rest of society must protect themselves against those people.  This is the American way, for better or worse, and I believe in it wholeheartedly.

I'm very pro-vaccine, but very anti-mandate.

How is the COVID pandemic enough of a threat to individual life or liberty to warrant the suspension of personal freedom?  I know the mortality rates are higher than anything else this widespread, but what is that threshold and how do we know we have hit a point of this being a national level threat to our entire populace?

Like someone said above, it isn't even approved for children under 12, yet we can force the entire adult populace to take it?  Again, I want everyone to get the vaccine, but in no way shape or form do I believe we should be forcing it on people.

I believe in this like I believe in the 2nd amendment.  There are some freedoms that are worth preserving despite the dangers to the population if for nothing else than the larger scale dangers which they hold at bay.  More people will die if we don't mandate the vaccine, but I don't think stopping those deaths is worth the precedence this would set.  I believe it is important enough to allow our people the choice to endanger themselves by refusing the vaccine and the rest of society must protect themselves against those people.  This is the American way, for better or worse, and I believe in it wholeheartedly.
They aren't forced. They will instead face regular testing, have to mask, can't travel.

Correct?

I believe it is important enough to allow our people the choice to endanger themselves by refusing the vaccine and the rest of society must protect themselves against those people.  This is the American way, for better or worse, and I believe in it wholeheartedly.
"The American way" is what we make it as a collective. The vision for the nation that I would support and uphold differs specifically on the bolded point.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that Trump hasn't encouraged people to get the vaccine?

In principle, I'm against mandates unless needed as a last resort.  I would have liked the federal government made being unvaxxed extremely inconvenient - i.e. required for interstate travel (only way to regulate is air traffic), must prove vax status to enter federal facilities, mandate for federal employees including military, etc.  

Which, to a degree, that's what this is.  There really is no national mandate.  If you work in a business with <100 people, you can remain unvaxxed.  If you don't like that your employer will now require vaccination, you have the freedom to seek employment somewhere else.

In principle, I'm against mandates unless needed as a last resort.  I would have liked the federal government made being unvaxxed extremely inconvenient - i.e. required for interstate travel (only way to regulate is air traffic), must prove vax status to enter federal facilities, mandate for federal employees including military, etc.  

Which, to a degree, that's what this is.  There really is no national mandate.  If you work in a business with <100 people, you can remain unvaxxed.  If you don't like that your employer will now require vaccination, you have the freedom to seek employment somewhere else.

Before, that was the case for any company that decided this for themselves.  I'll be honest, I have zero interest in working for any company that is <100 employees - for a lot of reasons.  This gets us back in to the debate about whether this really is or isn't a choice.  I'm vaccinated so that really doesn't matter and if every company with 100+ employees decided on their on or through incentives to implement the policy then I'm fine with it.  Mandating it across the board doesn't feel right to me.  I haven't followed the news closely the last 2 days so I'm unclear on the testing vs. vaccinated aspect of it. 

And despite that, I'm still ok with it.  And here is why:

Sometimes it's important to look at your position in the extreme.  Would folks be ok with this order if Covid was 2x more deadly?  5x? 20x? 100x?  I think there reaches a point where the vast majority or us would say "yes, this is a good idea" - for those that would never say that, I applaud you for being consistent.

I'm reminded of the quote by Fields/Churchill, whoever said it originally - "We are now merely haggling over the price"

In this scenario, I'm the prostitute but I don't know what my price would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could just get tested weekly for a few months and stop crying. But any contribution to the common good is just too much for some. 

Trump ordered the vaccine. WTF are you talking about? He literally waived liability for the pharma companies and made an executive order for them to make these vaccines. We had politicians at that time last year saying "If Trump says I should take the vaccine, then I won't take it" and now those same people are mandating it on everyone. 

Do you honestly believe back in October of 2020 had Trump said "I am making this great vaccine mandatory and it will be great for the American people" you wouldn't have been in here shouting "SEE HES A DICTATOR!"

And despite that, I'm still ok with it.  And here is why:

Sometimes it's important to look at your position in the extreme.  Would folks be ok with this order if Covid was 2x more deadly?  5x? 20x? 100x?  I think there reaches a point where the vast majority or us would say "yes, this is a good idea" - for those that would never say that, I applaud you for being consistent.

I'm reminded of the quote by Fields/Churchill, whoever said it originally - "We are now merely haggling over the price"

In this scenario, I'm the prostitute but I don't know what my price would be.

No. Because if it was that much more deadly, you wouldn't have to force people to take the vaccine. 

You don't want to get the vax then you get tested regularly to return to the office. That doesn't seem like jail.
It's not jail, but the form of the argument is the same.  "I'm not forcing you to do X, I'm just making it super-inconvenient for you not to X because I really want you to do X."  That's still coercion    

I believe the employer decides which route they take not the individual employee. At least that is what I was just told by legal council.
Interesting. My work sent out an email saying they are determining next steps.

If this is up to the employer then what is the issue?

It's not jail, but the form of the argument is the same.  "I'm not forcing you to do X, I'm just making it super-inconvenient for you not to X because I really want you to do X."  That's still coercion    
These measures aren't what I would call super inconvenient. We can disagree there.

How effective might be another thing, but getting these tests is very easy.

what's wrong with coercion?  We are coerced to do all sorts of things.  why do you think I'm wearing pants right now?
Coercion is fine in some situations.  For example, we coerce people not to go around punching other people in the face -- do that, and an agent of the state will show up to take you into custody.  And that's good, because punching people in the face violates their rights and the government exists for the express purpose of defending my rights against encroachment by others.

Notice how I defended coercion there by explicitly arguing for why coercion is justified.  I didn't try to deny that I was coercing anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread