What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Little hype train (1 Viewer)

'DansRams said:
If you wait for the training camp hype he will cost even more and half way through the season you will no longer be able to get him for less than low end wr2 prices.
I like seeing that Little improved his catching in the 2nd half of the season and I think he could possibly be relevant in FF next season.However paying a low end WR2 price for him would be over paying with a small chance of breaking even if everything works in his favor. For a trade to be worthwhile I would only be willing to pay WR3 price for him because that is what he is.I might be willing to pay low WR2 price for Gordan who I think is more likely to be the Browns top WR than little. But even then the Brown passing offense is not really something to tie your wagon to. If things work out well for the Browns and Turner the Browns will be a successful running offense and Little will be 2nd to Gordan which is not as many targets as I think he got last season.I also think the Browns are looking for a TE option that could take away targets from Little if they find one. The price you are suggesting is high and what I might try to sell Little for if I had him, but not what I would want to buy him for.

Is there a chance it clicks in yr3 for Little? The athleticism is there and it seems like he's gotten better with the drops....curious what other dynasty owners are thinking. Thanks!
:lmao:
Not sure why that's funny per say... I think it's very possible that he gets it in yr 3... I realize that most wrs that make a big impact in the NFL do so in their first yr or so but that isnt always the case... How long did it take Roddy White to be relevant?
I don't hate on Little but I also don't think he's in Roddy White territory.And White didn't have a more talented and just as young WR on the same roster who seems a better and more natural fit for the vertical game.I'd be very careful with my expectations for Little going forward. I think if you realize he could end up as the 3rd option on that team (with the possible emergence of Cameron Jordan), you won't get hurt. But if you ignore those concerns, you could over pay.
I agree that I dont think he will ever be Roddy White... in fact my only real reason for even bringing Roddy up was the fact that it took him a few years to even be relevant. They are different types of players. It will be interesting to see exactly how Gordon and Little will be used next season. I have seen improvement in Little and who knows what his ceiling is if he continues to develop. Without a QB that is much closer to Matt Ryan than Matt Cassel I don't think he will ever be more than a WR3 at best but in the NFL things can change very quickly so I will be keeping tabs of his situation.

from Rotoworld:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns are excited with how Greg Little has embraced the new offense and performed in downfield passing schemes.

Little has put together a strong offseason and the Browns believe he can "make an impact" in coach Rob Chudzinski's vertical offense. With Josh Gordon locked-in as Brandon Weeden's top target, Little is being asked to run more deep routes as the No. 2 receiver. He led the team with 53 catches last season, but also had six drops.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Is there a chance it clicks in yr3 for Little? The athleticism is there and it seems like he's gotten better with the drops....curious what other dynasty owners are thinking. Thanks!
lol.gif
Not sure why that's funny per say... I think it's very possible that he gets it in yr 3... I realize that most wrs that make a big impact in the NFL do so in their first yr or so but that isnt always the case... How long did it take Roddy White to be relevant?
I don't hate on Little but I also don't think he's in Roddy White territory.And White didn't have a more talented and just as young WR on the same roster who seems a better and more natural fit for the vertical game.

I'd be very careful with my expectations for Little going forward. I think if you realize he could end up as the 3rd option on that team (with the possible emergence of Cameron Jordan), you won't get hurt. But if you ignore those concerns, you could over pay.
I agree that I dont think he will ever be Roddy White... in fact my only real reason for even bringing Roddy up was the fact that it took him a few years to even be relevant. They are different types of players. It will be interesting to see exactly how Gordon and Little will be used next season. I have seen improvement in Little and who knows what his ceiling is if he continues to develop. Without a QB that is much closer to Matt Ryan than Matt Cassel I don't think he will ever be more than a WR3 at best but in the NFL things can change very quickly so I will be keeping tabs of his situation.
I don't think having a good receiver opposite is an impediment to his development. Roddy still would be became what he became even he joined after Julio - if Little is any good he'll develop, if not, he won't. At 24 he's only a few months older than Chris Harper and Terrance Williams and I like his skill set better than theirs.

The second half of last season was encouraging and the new offense should open things up for him, especially if Gordon develops as expected and draws coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot think of a WR2 in a Norv Turner offense that had a good season. Harper? I do recall one guy getting a big contract with another team then being a total waste.

The Browns do not have a good TE established however so perhaps that means more targets for Little?

I really cannot think of an Pizza face offense that produced 2 WR worth starting in FF and Flash Gordon is the man. Perhaps the lack of a TE target will change that but I would not expect much from Little.

In complete agreement with Biabreakable. Hopefully I will be surprised by the impressive results from Little this year but I am not holding my breath.

Took him as WR61 in the 20th round of a recent dynasty startup (as my 6th WR). I am in all day at those prices.

Took him as WR61 in the 20th round of a recent dynasty startup (as my 6th WR). I am in all day at those prices.
That appears to be right around his consensus ranking and ADP. Certainly doesn't scream value, and, in fact, I suspect you'll end up disappointed in that pick.

Biabreakable said:
I cannot think of a WR2 in a Norv Turner offense that had a good season. Harper? I do recall one guy getting a big contract with another team then being a total waste.

The Browns do not have a good TE established however so perhaps that means more targets for Little?

I really cannot think of an Pizza face offense that produced 2 WR worth starting in FF and Flash Gordon is the man. Perhaps the lack of a TE target will change that but I would not expect much from Little.
I think not having a legitimate TE target helps. Also with the Browns possibly playing from behind quite a bit may not hurt. I always liked Little's skillset....it was his maturity that needed improvement. From all counts it seems as though he is focused and ready to make a big step forward.

That appears to be right around his consensus ranking and ADP. Certainly doesn't scream value, and, in fact, I suspect you'll end up disappointed in that pick.
I won't be disappointed at all, as he is my 6th WR. If he even sees my starting lineup at ALL than I will have had positive returns from that pick. Do I think that he will finish better than the 61st best WR this year? Yes I do.

I won't be disappointed at all, as he is my 6th WR. If he even sees my starting lineup at ALL than I will have had positive returns from that pick. Do I think that he will finish better than the 61st best WR this year? Yes I do.
Yeah, I'd be happy with Little at that point as well. Not much risk and (IMO) he's got plenty of talent and began to show it late last season.

No. I wouldn't draft Little even as a #5 WR on my team. We don't have much roster space and there are too many other players available with more upside than he has.

If you have the roster space, he seems like a great dynasty flyer. His last 8 games were pretty good for a year 2 WR. 48 targets, 31 rec, 398 yds, 2 TD. If Weeden improve AND he shows he can maintain that level of productivity, he's a steal at WR61. And a third IF would be if he can improve upon that in his third year. To me, he has considerable value (coupled with upside) at his current ADP. Probably won't touch him in normal sized redraft leagues, but he's more appealing than the likes of LaFell, Jacoby Jones, Randle, Jenkins, etc. in long-term leagues.

I don't hate on Little but I also don't think he's in Roddy White territory.And White didn't have a more talented and just as young WR on the same roster who seems a better and more natural fit for the vertical game.

I'd be very careful with my expectations for Little going forward. I think if you realize he could end up as the 3rd option on that team (with the possible emergence of Cameron Jordan), you won't get hurt. But if you ignore those concerns, you could over pay.
White had a lot of the same problems with immaturity and drops that Little has had.
I understand that. But at the same time, White didn't have Julio Jones drafted in only his second season. Had Julio been drafted in White's 2nd year, how different could White's career path have looked? Even for seemingly talented players, timing (as a component of his situation) can be crucial.

Little has had his issues, which makes him vulnerable. Gordon can exploit that vulnerability because he gives the QB and the OC an alternative to having to stick with Little through the rough patches. I don't remember White ever having that much of a challenge to his status as the team's primary receiving threat. Well, other than the general ineffectiveness of Michael Vick. Having the team stick with you through those rough patches can build confidence, which can help tremendously. But it also keeps you fantasy relevent. But if the targets can dry up because there's another viable option, you can stop being relevent in a hurry.

Consider Jermichael Finley. The other receiving options on that team have meant that they could basically ignore him when he showed some consistency issues. And how committed to Little will the Cleveland QB be when he, whether it's Weeden or whoever, is himself a bad game away from seeing the bench.

I don't fault anyone for taking a shot on Little. But I think it's easy to see all rose and no thorn when we are trying to sift through the back-end guys for some upside.

Are you really disappointed if your 20th round pick doesn't pan out?
If you are taking the stance that a 20th round pick is worthless, I guess you wouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't pan out. I don't take that stance. :shrug:

Note, I'm not saying I hit on all my picks. I'm saying if I take a player in the 20th round and other players taken later emerge with better value, especially if they are players I also considered, I'd be disappointed.

If you have the roster space, he seems like a great dynasty flyer. His last 8 games were pretty good for a year 2 WR. 48 targets, 31 rec, 398 yds, 2 TD. If Weeden improve AND he shows he can maintain that level of productivity, he's a steal at WR61. And a third IF would be if he can improve upon that in his third year. To me, he has considerable value (coupled with upside) at his current ADP. Probably won't touch him in normal sized redraft leagues, but he's more appealing than the likes of LaFell, Jacoby Jones, Randle, Jenkins, etc. in long-term leagues.
Randle is a good example of someone I would take before Little without a second thought.

If you are taking the stance that a 20th round pick is worthless, I guess you wouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't pan out. I don't take that stance.

Note, I'm not saying I hit on all my picks. I'm saying if I take a player in the 20th round and other players taken later emerge with better value, especially if they are players I also considered, I'd be disappointed.
I don't think it's worthless, but my expectations there are low enough that I can't imagine being too disappointed with it. The chances of that player being a major contributor are pretty slim.

You must be disappointed an awful lot, because I'd bet that with almost every pick there will be at least one player taken later that will emerge with better value. Just the nature of the beast.

Why would he be disappointed in that pick? There's no one of comparable talent to Little in the 20th round.FWIW he went in the 13th round of my startup and I had hoped to get him at the end of the 14th.

Why would he be disappointed in that pick? There's no one of comparable talent to Little in the 20th round.FWIW he went in the 13th round of my startup and I had hoped to get him at the end of the 14th.
IMO it's not so much about the round of the pick as the relative position (i.e., WR61). As I said, that looks like his consensus ranking and ADP. I think he's a much worse value in the 13th or 14th round than in the 20th, unless your format causes WRs to get taken much earlier.

The bottom line for me is I don't think he will ever amount to a useful fantasy player. I would be unlikely to draft him in any round because of that, and thus I think those who draft him will be disappointed.

If you are taking the stance that a 20th round pick is worthless, I guess you wouldn't be disappointed if it doesn't pan out. I don't take that stance.

I don't think it's worthless, but my expectations there are low enough that I can't imagine being too disappointed with it. The chances of that player being a major contributor are pretty slim.You must be disappointed an awful lot, because I'd bet that with almost every pick there will be at least one player taken later that will emerge with better value. Just the nature of the beast.
I read "didn't pan out" as ultimately having no value. Yes, I'm disappointed when my picks end up having no value, when I could have taken someone who did. Especially if I considered taking other players who worked out. I guess I'm in the minority and will just agree to disagree with the rest of you.

Just Win Baby said:
IMO it's not so much about the round of the pick as the relative position (i.e., WR61). As I said, that looks like his consensus ranking and ADP. I think he's a much worse value in the 13th or 14th round than in the 20th, unless your format causes WRs to get taken much earlier.

The bottom line for me is I don't think he will ever amount to a useful fantasy player. I would be unlikely to draft him in any round because of that, and thus I think those who draft him will be disappointed.
If he can hold onto the ball what's not to like about a 6-3, 220 WR with 4.5 speed? He's still only 24.

(TheHuddle) Cleveland Browns WR Greg Little has been one of the team's most impressive players during minicamps. The coaching staff is excited about how Little has embraced their new offense and downfield passing attack.

Analysis: Little has led the Browns in receptions in each of his 2 NFL seasons but has struggled with drops and only has averaged 11.9 yards per catch. That latter stat should definitely see a bump with Norv Turner bringing a downfield-passing approach to the offense.

Personally I've been a fan of G Little since he was drafted (and drafted him frequently in dyno), mostly because of his size/speed and opportunity in what had been one of the worst corps of WRs assembled in modern history. But, he was never going to deliver immediate production in the NFL due to his inexperience at playing the position. We all knew he was going to take some time to develop and unfortunately the Browns went out and got Gordon who looks to be a true #1. But that said, Little has flashed a couple of times the past two years which is all I could hope for from a 24 year old still learning to play the position.

Entering year 3 in the NFL with what should be a better offense under Turner, I love Little's value in a startup and would certainly roster him over most garbage acquired south of the 14th rd. In dynasty the guy is a solid hold right now and at the very least a bye-week flyer with good long term upside if he shows anything at all this year. But, this is probably a make or break season for him which I hope he understands. If he continue to "drop it like its hot" he will be nothing more than a journeyman in the NFL in short order.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-cleveland-browns-offense-poised-to-surprise

Brandon Weeden, Cleveland Browns' offense poised to surprise
Greg Little Excerpt:

Little is also a dynamic pass catcher with outstanding speed and running skills who excels at making things happen with the ball in his hands. The Browns started to capitalize on those skills in 2012 by routinely getting him the ball on the move, and Little started to show more polish and consistency as a route runner. He utilizes various stems and change-of-pace moves to create space from defenders out of the break. Additionally, he started to show better hands and ball skills in traffic.

In the video clip to the right (click in the link to see the video clip), from the Browns' matchup against the Colts, Little puts it all together. Aligned on the right prior to the snap, he sneaks past the defense on a short post route, then displays outstanding concentration while pulling down a high ball in the shadow of the goal post for a 14-yard score. Little can expand Weeden's strike zone with his athleticism and ball skills, and the Browns could use him as a primary weapon in the red zone.

Just Win Baby said:

If he can hold onto the ball what's not to like about a 6-3, 220 WR with 4.5 speed? He's still only 24.
1. That's a big if. He hasn't shown he can hold onto the ball. According to Pro Football Focus, last year he dropped 14.5% of of his catchable targets, which was 7th worst in the NFL among WRs who got at least 25% of their teams' WR targets. In 2011, it was 18.7%, which was 6th worst in the NFL. I suppose you can claim improvement there, but he still has a long way to go.

2. His drop rate in the slot last year was even worse - 20%. This could deter Cleveland from using him there, where his supposed YAC skills would help him.

3. On those supposed YAC skills, Little was only tied for #61 last year in YAC/reception among WRs who got at least 25% of their teams' WR targets. In 2011, he was tied for #69.

4. Last season, PFF ranked him as tied for #89 overall among WRs that took at least 25% of their teams' snaps. They gave him a negative rating in every category: receiving, running, blocking, penalty, and, obviously, overall. That is an improvement from his #111 rating in 2011, so there is that...

5. As someone else pointed out, he's in a terrible environment for fantasy production for a WR2. Norv's offense virtually never produces a fantasy useful WR2, he's playing with one of the worst QBs in the NFL, and he's playing in a place where he is virtually guaranteed poor weather games late in the season.

6. So, sure, he is big, and he theoretically has good speed, but he hasn't shown any real game breaking skills in his first 2 seasons, either in the slot or on the outside, and he is in a situation that limits his upside. He reminds me of another Norv receiver that many people touted as a sleeper for a few years due to his apparent physical abilities: Legedu Naanee.

7. On top of all that, he displayed bad character in college. That hasn't shown up yet in the NFL to my knowledge, but that doesn't mean it won't.

The question is, what's to like?

Just Win Baby said:

I don't think it's worthless, but my expectations there are low enough that I can't imagine being too disappointed with it. The chances of that player being a major contributor are pretty slim.You must be disappointed an awful lot, because I'd bet that with almost every pick there will be at least one player taken later that will emerge with better value. Just the nature of the beast.
I read "didn't pan out" as ultimately having no value. Yes, I'm disappointed when my picks end up having no value, when I could have taken someone who did. Especially if I considered taking other players who worked out. I guess I'm in the minority and will just agree to disagree with the rest of you.
Every player ultimately has no value, are you saying that Little has zero value right now? Again, if your standard for disappointment is that someone drafted after your pick ends up being worth more, you're likely to be disappointed with most if not all of your picks.

You obviously don't like him, and that's fine, but I think you're being over the top here. Obviously it isn't likely that he becomes a superstar, but you can say the same thing for anyone you are drafting as WR #61 or in the 20th round. If it was likely, they would've been drafted much higher. IMO, he's a prototypical guy to target in that range- pretty decent upside with little risk if/when he doesn't pan out.

I have had a lot of fun going over Norv Turners coaching career recently.

There were times that the WR2 got 60 catches with the WR1 getting 70-90 which is what I see as Little's upside, 60 receptions. The downside would be 20-30 receptions.

A bit part of that distribution will depend on how effective the TE are. If Jordan Cameron gets 70-120 targets in this offense then Litte is going to be the 4th option at best in terms of targets behind Josh Gordon, Trent Richardson, Jordan Cameron. If Cameron is not that big a part of their plans, then the offense splits TE targets with a 2nd TE/HB type player and they share something like 40-100 targets. For the Browns sake I hope that 2nd guy is not Kellen Davis.So even in that scenario there may be another player taking some of the targets from Little. In this scenario I could see Little being ahead of Cameron in targets but likely not much.

If Little does manage 50-60 catches he could have WR3 value. It is not that he has no value. It is just that the upside of his value is rarely startable at best in the current scenario. If Little does do well he may earn a bigger role eventually through injury or free agency later on in his career.

I think Little is a sell on good news for WR3 or better value because he needs too much help to get the opportunity to be worth more than that for the next couple years.

I wouldn't bother with Little TBH. Norv's offenses generally don't support a WR2. It's all about the WR1/TE/RB. The 2nd and 3rd WR's are very, very erratic when it comes to production.

Rotoworld:

Greg Little traveled to Oklahoma earlier this month to work out with and catch passes from Brandon Weeden.
A Miami native, Little was the lone out-of-state Brown to make the trip to Edmond (OK). "We got three really hard days of work," Weeden said. "I threw until I couldn't throw anymore and he ran until he couldn't run anymore, so we got a lot of work in." It's good to see the third-year receiver show more maturity and commitment. The Browns are "counting on a better year" from the 2011 second-rounder.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Over the past two years I've come to accept the downers on Little because by and large they've been absolutely right. Clearly Josh Gordon is the guy in this offense and Little is going to be relegated to WR2, and his targets will be probably fall behind not just the WR1 but the TE and RB.

My question is this - how does Gordon's two game suspension affect the values of (1) Little (2) Cameron and (3) TRich? I'm assuming as a starting point that Little will basically be worthless after week 3 as the WR2 in this offense.

Of course Gordon's suspension could result in 2 weeks of viability for Little, but no one is going to roll with him in week 1 and I doubt week 2 as there are no byes and hopefully no significant injuries by that point. However, does Gordon's suspension mean a boost in targets for Cameron in those first two weeks, such that he's a better player to draft rather than trade for? Second, does Gordon's suspension mean elevated receptions for TRich in those first two weeks? (So basically, can Little be good enough to not bring down the entire "offense" but bad enough to suggest targets shifted to TE and RB?)

Over the past two years I've come to accept the downers on Little because by and large they've been absolutely right. Clearly Josh Gordon is the guy in this offense and Little is going to be relegated to WR2, and his targets will be probably fall behind not just the WR1 but the TE and RB.

My question is this - how does Gordon's two game suspension affect the values of (1) Little (2) Cameron and (3) TRich? I'm assuming as a starting point that Little will basically be worthless after week 3 as the WR2 in this offense.

Of course Gordon's suspension could result in 2 weeks of viability for Little, but no one is going to roll with him in week 1 and I doubt week 2 as there are no byes and hopefully no significant injuries by that point. However, does Gordon's suspension mean a boost in targets for Cameron in those first two weeks, such that he's a better player to draft rather than trade for? Second, does Gordon's suspension mean elevated receptions for TRich in those first two weeks? (So basically, can Little be good enough to not bring down the entire "offense" but bad enough to suggest targets shifted to TE and RB?)
Week 2 looks like a pretty nice matchup at home against the Lions

Cleveland Browns WR Greg Little

61 receptions (lead team as a rookie)

709 yards

2 TDs

53 receptions (lead team)

647 yards

4 TDs

Of the 53 receptions Greg Little had last year he caught 31 in the first 11 games (approximately ~ 3 receptions per game) with two of his four TDs.

Over the final five games Greg Little caught 22 passes (approximately 4 receptions per game) and he caught two TDs.

Little's drops went down significantly over the final half of last year.

Greg has matured both as a player and a human being. His improvement was obvious to anone who saw his early struggles. He looked more comfortable, poised, composed. The first year and a half he had an issue with drops and maturiity on the field where he showboated at inappropriate times if he made a play.

After the half-way point of last year Little's drop issue cleaned up significantly and he stopped showboating and his production increased. Fans were/are naturally skeptical of saying Little is completely over his drop issue but he showed significant improvement.

He could be a legitimate fantasy football sleeper this year.

OK, maybe, maybe, but I'd find it hard to bench my WR3 for week 2, who I drafted much higher or my flex RB3/WR4 that in all likelihood will be drafted higher as well, simply because the WR3/4 didn't perform so well in week 1.

In any case, I don't see the point in drafting Little based on ONE game of possible production.

Further I don't think he's a legit sleeper for the season based on evidence about Norv's offense and the role of the WR2, given the fact that Norv has a talented pass catching RB and a potentially athletic TE. My interest in him only relates to his effect on Cameron + Richardson

I think it is still possible that Little could be the top WR target for the Browns. In that case Josh Gordon would be the WR2 with Little getting more targets. Based on what Gordon did last season I am expecting the opposite.

I do not think Cameron Jordan is going to get 100+ targets so I do see more left over for Little as the WR2 than what has usually happened in the past. I think Kellen Davis is a lot worse option than Little. So I do not see that 2nd TE/HB to take targets away from him. Davis was terrible for the Bears last season, hard for me seeing that change. He is a back up at best.

I think the most likely scenario for targets will end up being Gordon, Richardson, Jordan, Little. But there is upside because Little could possibly get more targets than Jordan and the chance he does become the WR1 over Gordon.

Im trying to sell him in my dynasty. Hard work to say the least.

Is he worth a 3rd rounder?
A prospect like Little would likely be a 2nd round rookie pick. He is already going into his 3rd year of development. I don't think you will find a better prospect than Little in the 3rd round next year.

I don't know that anyone will pay more than that right now however as if he does not emerge this season most will think he will never emerge. I don't. I think if he works hard he has a chance to be more useful than an average 3rd round rookie.

All depends on roster, current goals and all that of course. Sometimes just freeing up the roster spot is worth a 3rd round pick if there is a FA you really want to pick up.

Im trying to sell him in my dynasty. Hard work to say the least.

Is he worth a 3rd rounder?
A prospect like Little would likely be a 2nd round rookie pick. He is already going into his 3rd year of development. I don't think you will find a better prospect than Little in the 3rd round next year.

I don't know that anyone will pay more than that right now however as if he does not emerge this season most will think he will never emerge. I don't. I think if he works hard he has a chance to be more useful than an average 3rd round rookie.

All depends on roster, current goals and all that of course. Sometimes just freeing up the roster spot is worth a 3rd round pick if there is a FA you really want to pick up.
Little is a hold right now. I think he's worth at least a 2nd but not many people are willing to pay it. Maybe he never develops but it's way too early to give up on him IMO. The great thing for fantasy owners is we get to see him be a #1 WR for the first two games and how he responds to that will be telling. The guy reminds me of Boldin if he can hold onto the ball.

exceptional film breakdown of little, shows the good, the bad and the ugly...

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/7/7/4497888/the-greg-little-film-room

greg little drops FUN FACT - 18 combined drops 2011-2012, YET, only 2 drops last 11 games.

may have foreshadowed light coming on...

reported emphasis on a more aggressive, downfield passing attack fortuitously implemented as he is primed for the proverbial third year breakout.

* also, the browns (ie - artist formerly known as the factory of sadness) will use him more and have opportunity to get a good look at him with gordon out first two weeks, so if successful early (almost an audition of sorts for new coaching staff), that could extend to and carry through the rest of the season.

I think the most likely scenario for targets will end up being Gordon, Richardson, Jordan, Little. But there is upside because Little could possibly get more targets than Jordan and the chance he does become the WR1 over Gordon.
Davone Bess should not be overlooked.
How many targets do you think Bess will get?

Now I am trying to keep an open mind about this because despite Turners history we still have to look at the situation here and now. So while targets in Turners offense do not really support a WR2 with enough targets to be anything more than upside WR3 numbers, downside is WR5 numbers. The 3rd WR?? I really do not think there will be many targets for a player in that role, even the WR2 targets are dicey. Those WR2 numbers would need to coincide with the TE not getting much more than 100 targets as well, I think that could happen, which is why I think there is a chance for the WR2 to possibly have fringe value. I really do not see how Bess can get enough targets without an injury to Little. From what I read Benjamin will start while Gordon is out not Bess (who I think backs up Little?).

Do you think Bess will get more targets than Gordon or Little?

I like him much better than Gordon (value-wise) at his current ADP.
I wouldn't waste a roster space unless you have a very deep league. He finished 54th and 51st and has 6 total tds and 1350 yards in 2 seasons. I can't see myself ever starting him.

I just can't make a case for him unless Gordon is out all year.

I've never liked how Little was used in Cle. Once upon a time he was a power-back in college. Now you get a chance to match him up underneath vs smaller CBs in the NFL. He would be great if they used him for bubble-screens and quick slants. He is a better weapon than anyone will give him credit for. As a vertical threat he's ok at best. Norv is installing a verticle offense; Weedon is still the QB. That leaves me interested, but not much. I'll gamble on better offenses/QBs.

I wouldn't waste a roster space unless you have a very deep league. He finished 54th and 51st and has 6 total tds and 1350 yards in 2 seasons. I can't see myself ever starting him.

Little was the #33 WR from weeks 11-17 last year (IE 2nd half). Not super, but a WR3. Definitely not a waste of a roster spot.

Little was the #33 WR from weeks 11-17 last year (IE 2nd half). Not super, but a WR3. Definitely not a waste of a roster spot.
players have ebbs and flows over the course of a season. I just don't really see any upside in his situation...what's going to change to make him fantasy relevant? Gordon is light years better than him right now and his ascent will continue unless he shoots himself in the foot with off the field problems. Norv runs a one wr offense and Gordon is that receiver...they aren't going to be a passing team and the QB isn't very good so it's not little there's gonna be a lot of yards to go around...the pie is small and the biggest piece is going to revolve around Gordon. When I'm allocating roster spots especially with the bench spots, I'm not looking for a Little who may if things work out can be the #30 wr...I'd much rather take a shot at a Hartline, Jeffrey, Broyles who are all being drafted around the same spot. I think they all offer more potential upside.

I liked the opportunity for Little at one point and I have posts in this thread from last june in support of taking a shot at him so it's not like I hate the guy or something....

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

he's definitely someone I'm keeping my eye on. He's in an offense void of WR talent so the opportunity is there for him to take the reigns, he's physically talented but there are some negatives as well. Take a shot as a 4/5 WR keep him on the roster for a few weeks, see if he gets the targets and makes plays...if he does you keep him a bit longer, if not you cut him and pick up the WW darling of the week.

I just think he had his opportunity and clearly lost his shot.

Biabreakable said:
Wyld Stallyns said:
Davone Bess should not be overlooked.
How many targets do you think Bess will get?

Now I am trying to keep an open mind about this because despite Turners history we still have to look at the situation here and now. So while targets in Turners offense do not really support a WR2 with enough targets to be anything more than upside WR3 numbers, downside is WR5 numbers. The 3rd WR?? I really do not think there will be many targets for a player in that role, even the WR2 targets are dicey. Those WR2 numbers would need to coincide with the TE not getting much more than 100 targets as well, I think that could happen, which is why I think there is a chance for the WR2 to possibly have fringe value. I really do not see how Bess can get enough targets without an injury to Little. From what I read Benjamin will start while Gordon is out not Bess (who I think backs up Little?).

Do you think Bess will get more targets than Gordon or Little?
I don't know that he'll get more, I'm not making that crazy leap. I'm just saying that he'll be a big enough part of the offense that his targets need to be considered.

From CBS Sports:

Bess could start for Gordon

by Jamey Eisenberg | Senior Fantasy Writer

(6/17/13) ESPN reports that with Browns receiver Josh Gordon suspended for the first two games of the season that newly-signed free agent Davone Bess would be the likely starter opposite Greg Little. Bess has made a good impression this offseason on new coach Rob Chudzinski, who said "Davone has been great."
Remember, they traded draft picks for Bess (I'm not positive, but I think he was the first acqusition by the new regime). They wanted him for a reason. He'll be the slot receiver (obviously) which means his competition for targets will primarily be Richardson and Cameron (although they do plan to go downfield quite a bit with the TE).

Anyway, I honestly think you're a little high on Richardson's involvement in the passing game. He'll be involved for sure, but I don't see him ending the season at #2 in targets for the team. I think Bess gets a good chunk of the targets you're pencilling in there. Do I think that makes him fantasy-relevant? Not necessarily - but he doesn't need to be fantasy-relevant to be considered in a conversation about Little's potential value.

Now, I actually like Little - I'm in Cleveland and the word down here is that there he's gotten a dose of maturity during the offseason. It sounds like he could potentially be turning a corner, whereas Gordon is still acting like a goofball. I think Little is a buy primarily because of Gordon's suspension. To your original point, I agree that he's got a great opportunity to take over the WR1 role while Gordon is out. But if he doesn't establish himself in those first few games he quickly becomes a drop. With Gordon, Cameron, Richardson and yes, Bess, all having significant roles in the passing game he'll be hard pressed to have any sort of consistent fantasy value. His only path to fantasy relevance is building early trust with Weeden and Norv/Chud, which could definitely result in him siphoning off some of Gordon's targets.

players have ebbs and flows over the course of a season. I just don't really see any upside in his situation...what's going to change to make him fantasy relevant? Gordon is light years better than him right now and his ascent will continue unless he shoots himself in the foot with off the field problems. Norv runs a one wr offense and Gordon is that receiver...they aren't going to be a passing team and the QB isn't very good so it's not little there's gonna be a lot of yards to go around...the pie is small and the biggest piece is going to revolve around Gordon. When I'm allocating roster spots especially with the bench spots, I'm not looking for a Little who may if things work out can be the #30 wr...I'd much rather take a shot at a Hartline, Jeffrey, Broyles who are all being drafted around the same spot. I think they all offer more potential upside.

I liked the opportunity for Little at one point and I have posts in this thread from last june in support of taking a shot at him so it's not like I hate the guy or something....

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

he's definitely someone I'm keeping my eye on. He's in an offense void of WR talent so the opportunity is there for him to take the reigns, he's physically talented but there are some negatives as well. Take a shot as a 4/5 WR keep him on the roster for a few weeks, see if he gets the targets and makes plays...if he does you keep him a bit longer, if not you cut him and pick up the WW darling of the week.

I just think he had his opportunity and clearly lost his shot.
The bolded seems way over the top to me. He's been in the league for two years, and has played for kind of a mess of an organization with multiple QBs. Now they have a new GM, new HC and OC, a QB with another year of experience, and some other young players who show promise. It wouldn't be unheard of for them to make decent progress on offense, and there's no reason to think he isn't going to get an opportunity to be a part of that, especially considering he's going to have at least 2 weeks as the WR 1.

I think people have been spoiled by the immediate results from some of the stud WRs recently- Little's numbers aren't bad so far, all things considered. He's far from a sure thing, but I think it's foolish to write him off.

Users who are viewing this thread