What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg's Useless Trivia #29 (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
A collection of mostly useless but sometimes interesting things I've come across.

Links to previous Useless Trivia:

1) This is the national animal of Scotland, though it cannot be found even in Scottish zoos.

The unicorn. The unicorn has been a Scottish heraldic symbol since the 12th century, when it was used on an early form of the Scottish coat of arms by William I.

2) Though pizza made its first appearance in the US in the 19th century thanks to Italian immigrants, the dish's widespread popularity did not really take off until this event.

World War II.  Allied troops occupying Italy, weary of their rations, were constantly on the lookout for good food. They discovered the pizzeria and local bakers were hard-pressed to satisfy the demand from the soldiers. The American troops involved in the Italian campaign took their appreciation for the dish back home.

3) According to Time.com, this Earthly superhero was the world's richest.

Black Panther. While Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark are worth many billions, the vibranium in Wakanda's vaults is worth more than the GDP of the entire world. At $10,000 per gram and with 10,000 tons of the stuff, T'Challa checked in at about $90.7 trillion. Unfortunately for T'Challa, a plot by Doctor Doom to steal Wakanda's Vibranium forced the king to release a fail safe rendering the stockpile inert, and potentially worthless.

4) Pepsi won a 2011 court case against a man who claimed he drank from a can of Mountain Dew that contained a dead mouse. A somewhat gruesome bit of testimony from a veterinarian received much of the publicity in the case. What was it?

The veterinarian testified that Mountain Dew would dissolve a mouse and after 30 days its body would have dissolved into a “jelly-like substance.”  The can had been bottled over 70 days before it was opened by the man.

5) Which is the smallest?

a) Surface area of the Moon
b) Surface area of Pluto
c) Surface area of Russia

c) the surface area of Russia. Though it is only a little smaller than Pluto. Russia is about 17.1 million square km, while Pluto's surface area is 17.6 million. Our Moon is over twice as large at 38 million square km.

6) In 1923 at Belmont Park, thirty-five-year-old jockey Frank Hayes won the only professional horse race of his career. Even more notably, it is the only known instance of a jockey winning in the fashion that Hayes did. In what fashion?

He won the race after his death. Hayes died of a heart attack mid-race, but his body stayed in the saddle as his horse won the race. The horse paid off 20-1.

7) Which over-achiever's last words were reportedly, "I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have"?

Leonardo Da Vinci

8) "Washington" is the most common place name in the United States. So common that one state by itself has 7 different towns just named "Washington". Which state?

Wisconsin. It also has a Washington County, a Washington Island, two Port Washington towns, and an 8th, unincorporated, Washington community.

9) "Springfield" is the second most common place name. One state has 5 different towns named Springfield. Which state?

Wisconsin again. I'm sensing a lack of creativity here.

10) The British Government has something called a Class 7 authorisation, which must be approved by a management board and various operations directors, and then signed by the Foreign Secretary and reviewed by a judge. By what lingo is a Class 7 authorisation more commonly known?

It's the real life MI6 "license to kill".

1/10 

I got the unicorn because I just watched the first hour of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot with Tina Fey and Margot Robbie the other night. 

We also have the only Waunakee in the world. If I ever start a town, I am going to name it Waunakee. 

Users who are viewing this thread