What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gronk alternatives - what are you doing? (1 Viewer)

Banger

Footballguy
Sucks that Gronk went down again but what are the owners left going to do for the playoffs? At this point in the year we're going week to week and hunting for the replacement that can get us over the hump. I picked up L. Green last week as an insurance policy hoping I wouldn't need him but now I think I'm going try and snag Pitta. How did he look in his 1st game back?

Pitta looked pretty solid. Definitely worth the pick-up.

If Jordan Reed is going to keep missing time you may try for Logan Paulsen.

Brandon Myers is still available in both my leagues as well.

Good luck!

Ladarius Green might be dropped by some after putting up 0 this week, or still be on waivers. He might be a sneaky play against the Broncos on Thursday night. Im sure San Diego will be passing early and often to keep up with Peyton.

If you're in a super deep/competitive league, like my $2,000 FFPC league for instance (where statistically the best option Jim Dray) I'd take a long look at Tamme. This is Welker's second concussion in a month and after he exited last weeks game Tamme saw work in the slot. It may not be an extremely legitimate piece of this offense, but I'd argue anyone getting looks from Manning is worth strong consideration.

Throwing out another suggestion for the TE needy Gronk teams. Andrew Quarless had 6/61/1 on 7 targets, and who knows if Rodgers comes back, but could be a decent fill in.

For people who are screwed, Quarless or Bostic are decent plays whether Erin comes back or not. I am just going to roll with Graham and I'll have to dust off Gio or maybe put Vereen in the flex. :shrug:

It's risky, and may not help for Week 15, but my second priority claim after Pitta was Owen Daniels. He was dropped in my league and is potentially due back next week (though you'd like to see how he does before sticking him in your lineup). He was putting up some serious points before he got hurt.

For people who are screwed, Quarless or Bostic are decent plays whether Erin comes back or not. I am just going to roll with Graham and I'll have to dust off Gio or maybe put Vereen in the flex. :shrug:
Maybe? Are you seriously saying that Vereen is not already a lock for your starting lineup? Did you see what he did yesterday after Gronk went down?

If Delanie Walker was dropped, he's also a good play. He should clear the concussion protocols this week and gets 2 great matchups in a row...ARI and JAX.

If you're in a super deep/competitive league, like my $2,000 FFPC league for instance (where statistically the best option Jim Dray) I'd take a long look at Tamme. This is Welker's second concussion in a month and after he exited last weeks game Tamme saw work in the slot. It may not be an extremely legitimate piece of this offense, but I'd argue anyone getting looks from Manning is worth strong consideration.
I was just going to suggest Tamme. When starting, he's a lock for 4-5 catches, 40-50 yards. not amazing production, but what do you want for a WW TE.

I was just going to suggest Tamme. When starting, he's a lock for 4-5 catches, 40-50 yards. not amazing production, but what do you want for a WW TE.
Rotoworld is reporting that it is very unlikely Welker plays - hard to pass with a Thursday game and his 2nd concussion recently.

Tamme could see some success

Rotoworld is reporting that it is very unlikely Welker plays - hard to pass with a Thursday game and his 2nd concussion recently.

Mike Clay (Rotworld- highly recommended follow) put on twitter today that once Welker left game, Tamme was in for 45 of 46 snaps, ALL of which lined up at Wide Receiver. he IS the backup slot WR, not Caldwell.

i also read today that Pitta was in on only 42% of snaps. (though 33 out of 36 snaps were pass plays)

Mike Clay (Rotworld- highly recommended follow) put on twitter today that once Welker left game, Tamme was in for 45 of 46 snaps, ALL of which lined up at Wide Receiver. he IS the backup slot WR, not Caldwell.

i also read today that Pitta was in on only 42% of snaps. (though 33 out of 36 snaps were pass plays)
That's pretty amazing about Tamme, I would have thought Caldwell was the guy to get here too. Caldwell only had one target, Tamme 5. Wow.

I think I'm rolling with Tamme over Pitta...Pitta probably has a higher floor but I think Tamme has a higher ceiling.

I have Fleener in right now, but also trying to get G. Graham off waivers. If I do get Graham I'm not sure whom I'd start. Leaning towards Graham right now. He's led TE's in targets the past 4 weeks. Right ahead of Jimmy and...Fleener.

Clay is so underrated right now, the guy has put up serious production and is the 5th highest scoring TE in my league's PPR format. His name has hardly come up this year, which is completely undeserved.

Great info on Tamme's snap count, think he's definitely worth a look. Pitta may not have been in on the same number of plays but he was targeted a ton. Graham has been targeted a lot all year, too, but harder for me to trust his production.

I don't ####### know. I was riding Welker and Gronk. My only backup pass catcher was Jordan Reed (our WR3 slot is really TE/WR, so he could fill in for either).

Now I need to hit the WW to fill in for both. I have second to last waiver priority and $0 FAAB.

#### me.

Pitta is available but I'm sure he'll get taken. I have claims in on

Pitta

Tamme

Celek

At TE

I didn't lose Gronk but as someone who handcuffed JT with Tamme, I'm starting both this Thursday (giving Tamme priority over players like Bowe, Stevie and Reed). I play in a league which awards 1.5PPR to TEs and thought of someone assuming Welker's role in this offense AND getting an extra .5 per reception is extremely appealing,

The O/U for this game is 55.5 and the weather is going to be nice (clear, minimal wind). You obviously won't get Gronk upside with Tamme (or mostly anyone for that matter) but in PPR leagues I believe you can do much worse.

I thankfully kept Jordan Cameron on my roster and will also try to pick up Dennis Pitta. I am a huge fan of depth... even at the TE position because it is a physically demanding position. :cool:

I know Tamme filled in for welker last week- is it a given that he will this week as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Tamme filled in for welker last week- is it a given that he will this week as well?

I'm going with that

Yup. Cecil said without a doubt he fills Welkers role. Apparently he did last year as well when stokley was injured for a game and he got around 90 yards.

I think I'm rolling with Tamme over Pitta...Pitta probably has a higher floor but I think Tamme has a higher ceiling.
I'm looking to acquire Tamme, even though I already own Pitta. Only to block him from my opponent. I like Pitta's floor and ceiling better than Tamme. No doubt that Tamme's "Welkerian role" scares me, but his chances to be a main red zone target seem slightly less fluky than a tackle eligible guy. Whereas Pitta we know will get targeted down inside the 10 yard line. Tamme is still a very decent start, and should do a lot of damage between the 20's. If I decide to play Tamme, it would be as a flex over Woodhead, and that's not off the table either.

Anyone like Marcedes Lewis? He has a TD in the last 2 games, but not many catches. Jax is playing the Bills who are a favorable matchup, and just gave up a TE TD to the Bucs.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Banger said:
I'm looking to acquire Tamme, even though I already own Pitta. Only to block him from my opponent. I like Pitta's floor and ceiling better than Tamme. No doubt that Tamme's "Welkerian role" scares me, but his chances to be a main red zone target seem slightly less fluky than a tackle eligible guy. Whereas Pitta we know will get targeted down inside the 10 yard line. Tamme is still a very decent start, and should do a lot of damage between the 20's. If I decide to play Tamme, it would be as a flex over Woodhead, and that's not off the table either.
The Tamme vs Pitta debate is probably where it's at for a lot of Reed and Gronk owners.

Bookend games, one is the first of the week, the other is the last of the week.

Tamme is the ultimate definition of boom/bust as we never know which receiver Manning will favor in a given week and we can probably assume that Tamme is the fourth or fifth receiving option. He'll get slot duty with Welker out, but the difference between he and Welker is that he'll have to block more as a big bodied TE than Welker did. Julius Thomas isn't half the blocker Tamme is, so I would assume Julius Thomas will get the lion's share of targets in two TE sets.

If my decision came between Tamme and Pitta, I think Pitta would be the much safer bet. Pitta is the second passing option in the Ravens offense, and will get a lot more targets than Tamme, along with red zone looks. Now I just have to decide of I would start Pitta over Gates' plus matchup against Denver.

What about Zach Ertz? Or Pitta obviously.

I think L. Green's value is tied to Eddie Royal not playing.

I'm in a good situation since I backed up Gronk with Julius Thomas in preseason but I still want depth in case anything happens to J.T.

An impatient owner dropped Delanie Walker last week and I was able to get him off of Waivers.

No one will replace Gronk but at least Walker was getting a good amount of targets and has a good matchup.

Tamme is the ultimate definition of boom/bust as we never know which receiver Manning will favor in a given week and we can probably assume that Tamme is the fourth or fifth receiving option. He'll get slot duty with Welker out, but the difference between he and Welker is that he'll have to block more as a big bodied TE than Welker did. Julius Thomas isn't half the blocker Tamme is, so I would assume Julius Thomas will get the lion's share of targets in two TE sets.

If my decision came between Tamme and Pitta, I think Pitta would be the much safer bet. Pitta is the second passing option in the Ravens offense, and will get a lot more targets than Tamme, along with red zone looks. Now I just have to decide of I would start Pitta over Gates' plus matchup against Denver.
When it comes to blocking, Tamme is very much below average. Maybe you're getting him confused with Dreessen?

When it comes to blocking, Tamme is very much below average. Maybe you're getting him confused with Dreessen?
I'll defer to you on this one, as you might know differently, but I had heard otherwise. That's pretty frightening if Tamme is an inferior blocker to Julius Thomas. No wonder they lean on Moreno to hold the line so often.

I'll defer to you on this one, as you might know differently, but I had heard otherwise. That's pretty frightening if Tamme is an inferior blocker to Julius Thomas. No wonder they lean on Moreno to hold the line so often.
How much line blocking did Welker do? Tamme is replacing Welker in the lineup, he will be in the slot not on the line.

last week Pitta got twice the targets and a couple more receptions over the course of a game vs. 1 half for Tamme but they ended up with the same yardage (although Pitta had a td). I think Pitta will get more catches/targets but much lower YPR. The way I view it is that if neither of them scores their floors are 6 pts vs. 4? big deal...it's a field goal. Pitta had 7 tds last year so what's his probability for a TD? .5 / game? It's not like he's a stud.

I just see the ceiling being a lot higher with Tamme, if he's Peyton's guy for the game vs. Pitta being Flacco's guy for the game. I'm trying to win my championship and I don't think playing Tamme vs. Pitta will lose my game but if it hits right it could win it.

Last edited by a moderator:

last week Pitta got twice the targets and a couple more receptions over the course of a game vs. 1 half for Tamme but they ended up with the same yardage (although Pitta had a td). I think Pitta will get more catches/targets but much lower YPR. The way I view it is that if neither of them scores their floors are 6 pts vs. 4? big deal...it's a field goal. Pitta had 7 tds last year so what's his probability for a TD? .5 / game? It's not like he's a stud.

I just see the ceiling being a lot higher with Tamme, if he's Peyton's guy for the game vs. Pitta being Flacco's guy for the game. I'm trying to win my championship and I don't think playing Tamme vs. Pitta will lose my game but if it hits right it could win it.
Don't totally disagree, but I think you're overstating Tamme's floor a little. There are just so many weapons in Denver's offense that there's always the possibility of someone getting left without a chair when the music stops (including Welker in a bunch of games before he got hurt). Flacco loves Pitta, and has clearly been missing that weapon all season. No way he doesn't get a bunch of targets.

Either way, I agree it's close. In my case, I lost out on Pitta (to my opponent, no less) and am debating Tamme vs. Fleener (leaning Tamme).

The fact is, those of us who don't have Graham or (maybe) JThomas are all knee-deep in the Great TE Middle Class, and any of these guys could just as easily go for 7/90/1 as for 2/17/0. In another league where I own Cameron and just picked up Pitta, I've committed to starting JC the rest of the way less because I'm sure he'll be better as because I need to preserve my own sanity.

Don't totally disagree, but I think you're overstating Tamme's floor a little. There are just so many weapons in Denver's offense that there's always the possibility of someone getting left without a chair when the music stops (including Welker in a bunch of games before he got hurt). Flacco loves Pitta, and has clearly been missing that weapon all season. No way he doesn't get a bunch of targets.

Either way, I agree it's close. In my case, I lost out on Pitta (to my opponent, no less) and am debating Tamme vs. Fleener (leaning Tamme).

The fact is, those of us who don't have Graham or (maybe) JThomas are all knee-deep in the Great TE Middle Class, and any of these guys could just as easily go for 7/90/1 as for 2/17/0. In another league where I own Cameron and just picked up Pitta, I've committed to starting JC the rest of the way less because I'm sure he'll be better as because I need to preserve my own sanity.
I don't know...I'm thinking his floor is 4 points or so...It's what he did in a half last week. I think there's a decent chance that the defense tries to focus on the remaining big 3 and takes their chances that Tamme beats them. If I were the Chargers that's what I would do.

I don't know...I'm thinking his floor is 4 points or so...It's what he did in a half last week. I think there's a decent chance that the defense tries to focus on the remaining big 3 and takes their chances that Tamme beats them. If I were the Chargers that's what I would do.
"Listen, son, you don't get to choose which targets Mr. Manning focuses on. He does, and he'll let you know which ones he's chosen by completing a pass to them in the end zone."

My options are: Delane Walker who was dropped, Tamme, Quarrels... or Fleener who I own already. I am going to try to snag Walker off the waiver wire and start him against the Cardinals who are weak against the tight end. Fleener has a decent matchup but I just dont trust him.

I dont like noodle arm flynn so I would just as soon stick to Fleener over him. Which leaves tamme: of the bunch I think he is the most intriguing. Whats not to like about the slot receiver off of the high scoring Broncos? except....well here is what scares me: 6 targets 3 catches for 21 yqrds. Thats what Welker did against SD week 10. Here is the writeup from fbg:

(Im a.ssuming they wont mind pay content being published since its info that is a month old.

Welker had a relatively quiet day against San Diego, receiving only six targets. Welker managed to show the full range of his game, though, easily gaining separation on several occasions, most notably on his 8-yard conversion on 3rd and 5. Unfortunately, Welker’s weaknesses were on display on his only other 3rd-down target, as Welker got open on 3rd and 9 and managed to bring the ball to his chest and get both hands on it, but still dropped the pass, ending the drive

Tamme well may have a good game but I dont think I can trust him more than my other options.

Same boat here with Pitta and Tamme in non ppr. At the moment rolling Tamme in the Welker role, as someone Manning has some confidence in and will play nearly every down. Broncos simply pass the ball from start to finish and don't really let their foot off the gas. Certainly Pitta has his positives, but when in doubt I put my faith in the QB and system. If I was sure pitta would get more than 40 percent of the snaps and some RZ action, it might be different. But folks, put your faith in the Ravens and Flacco at your own peril. Plus, Lions are not terrible defending TEs and that pass rush can be nasty at times.

"Listen, son, you don't get to choose which targets Mr. Manning focuses on. He does, and he'll let you know which ones he's chosen by completing a pass to them in the end zone."
The Splendid Spiraler. :thumbup:

I'm actually considering Tamme over Tony Gonzo in 1.5PPR. Gonzo has a good match-up but an injury. He hasn't had more than 4 catches for a few games, but he has had a few TD's.

Tamme is still available, but I picked up Delanie, AZ is the worst TE defense in the league and Fitzpatrick likes Delanie.

Not down on Tamme, encouraging upside taking Welker's slot. But don't forget that Welker didn't light much up week 10 - week 13 either. So many weapons.

Tamme is still available, but I picked up Delanie, AZ is the worst TE defense in the league and Fitzpatrick likes Delanie.

Not down on Tamme, encouraging upside taking Welker's slot. But don't forget that Welker didn't light much up week 10 - week 13 either. So many weapons.
Or that Decker only scored 12 points in in weeks 10-12. You can't predict who might go off in the Denver passing game but someone usually does.

After my league mates put in ww claims for Pitta, Tamme, Clay thus blocking me from picking up any replacement for Gronk and a concussed Reed, Now my choices are:

L Green...so tempting to pick him up and hope for a shoot out!

B Celek

S Chandler

B Myers

L Paulsen...May be leaning towards him at the moment

Users who are viewing this thread