What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gronk Replacement Thread (1 Viewer)

Football Menace

Footballguy
Couldn't find a centralized thread, so here we go.

We can't replace 100% of the production, but we have to find someone to give us a fighting chance.

Options:

Kyle Rudolph - I would think Seattle tries to do everything possible to limit AP, and force Bridgewater to beat them. But, I don't see Teddy challenging Sherman on the outside, and Wallace has been, well, Wallace. So that leaves Rudolph in the middle. And Seattle has actually given the 2nd/3rd highest ppg to TEs this year.

Jacob Tamme - He's been getting decent targets with Hankerson being hurt, and Roddy slowing down. Hankerson didn't practice yesterday. I actually think this game has more shootout potential than Seattle/Minny, and I still trust Ryan slightly more than Bridgewater. Also Tamme had 100+ yards and his only TD of the year against Tampa.

These are two guys I'm looking at as replacements.

Who do you have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott Chandler? Or is he too widely owned for this thread? That's who I'm going with in a couple of leagues. I'm betting on the opportunity to play fulltime in a good offense with Brady throwing him the ball and limited other receiving options. At the very least he should get a fair amount of targets and is a good weekly bet for a TD.

Chandler was picked up by the Brady owner during waivers before my turn, so I picked up Rudolph and Fleener - leaning toward Rudolph this week.

Scott Chandler? Or is he too widely owned for this thread? That's who I'm going with in a couple of leagues. I'm betting on the opportunity to play fulltime in a good offense with Brady throwing him the ball and limited other receiving options. At the very least he should get a fair amount of targets and is a good weekly bet for a TD.
Chandler is definately an option if you're able to get, but in leagues with FAABs, that might be tough to do. Now with Chandler, the opportunity is there, but the Eagles have been very tough against TEs. Does that mean sit him? No, but know that the Eagles have been tough against TES thus far.

I'm rolling with Will Tye this week.

Giants can't run on the Jets, Donnell is out for at least the next 2 weeks, Randle sucks, they have to have an option 2 after OBJ.

His targets have increased each of the last 3 weeks..6..7..8.

We can't replace 100% of the production, but we have to find someone to give us a fighting chance.

Options:

Kyle Rudolph - I would think Seattle tries to do everything possible to limit AP, and force Bridgewater to beat them. But, I don't see Teddy challenging Sherman on the outside, and Wallace has been, well, Wallace. So that leaves Rudolph in the middle. And Seattle has actually given the 2nd/3rd highest ppg to TEs this year.

Jacob Tamme - He's been getting decent targets with Hankerson being hurt, and Roddy slowing down. Hankerson didn't practice yesterday. I actually think this game has more shootout potential than Seattle/Minny, and I still trust Ryan slightly more than Bridgewater. Also Tamme had 100+ yards and his only TD of the year against Tampa.

Who do you have?
Chandler was my #1 target last night for waivers since you don't have to worry about games being played and can just look at active vs inactive. That said, I missed out on him.

Had Rudolph and Tamme as my next two options for the reasons you specified above and got Rudolph. I'm happy with him as a plan B. I don't know how MN is going to move the ball without throwing to Rudolph. It's Seattle's one glaring weakness.

Chandler has to be option #1. After that, it's a toss up. I like Tye and McDonald. Richard Rodgers is another one to consider this week - his scoring has been TD dependent, but the Lions have given up a lot of TDs to TEs.

I was able to claim Chandler from the 9th spot.

Playoffs start next week and Chandler it is for me.

Martellus Bennett is available as well but FBG tends to like Chandler ROS more.

Ladarius Green. Hope to squeak out a win and get a bye.

Then Gronk back strong week 15-16.

That's the way I hope it works out at least.

The TE injury bug hurt as I didn't have the $ or waiver position to compete with the Graham and Eiffert owners. I'm rolling with Cameron Brate. He's gotten good targets and TDs in 2 straight weeks. I'm in the playoffs so this week won't matter.m but next week, Brate has the Saints which is a juicy matchup even for a guy like Brate.

As mentioned elsewhere, Will Tye might be a solid option with the Giants having a bad defense, no running game and all receivers not named ODB underperforming.

Tye is another good one. At least they are out there, you just have to pluck the right one.

Chandler in one league.

Young McDonald in another.

E I E I Oh, I hope he scores me a truckload of points!

Enjoy this week boys, because finding Gronk's replacement is only get harder from here. This week I think Chandler, Tye, and Rudolph could all be adequate replacements.

But what happens in upcoming weeks when we are in the playoffs and Gronk is a last-minute active against the Texans? We'll all be wondering if he's being activated to operate as a blocker and only utilized in high leverage situations (i.e. 3rd downs and red zone). I suspect he'll be very TD dependent AND he'll risk being sat with any double-digit lead in the 4th quarter and possibly even as early as the third quarter.

Yep, enjoy this week because this week has clarity...the upcoming weeks are sure to bring murkiness and potential heartache.

Gotta love this hobby!
:)

Enjoy this week boys, because finding Gronk's replacement is only get harder from here. This week I think Chandler, Tye, and Rudolph could all be adequate replacements.

But what happens in upcoming weeks when we are in the playoffs and Gronk is a last-minute active against the Texans? We'll all be wondering if he's being activated to operate as a blocker and only utilized in high leverage situations (i.e. 3rd downs and red zone). I suspect he'll be very TD dependent AND he'll risk being sat with any double-digit lead in the 4th quarter and possibly even as early as the third quarter.

Yep, enjoy this week because this week has clarity...the upcoming weeks are sure to bring murkiness and potential heartache.

Gotta love this hobby!

:)
Thanks for spreading holiday good cheer.

Options:

Who do you have?
I went with McDonald even though Chandler was available. I think it will be a toss-up but the stat that clinched it for me was that the Patriots pass nearly 70-80% of the time when in a 2 TE set. Remember, Chandler caught his passes while Gronk was in the game. With Gronk out, I'm not sure that Cleveland or Williams provide enough capability to free up Chandler. McDonald has his own issues, with SF playing Chicago - CHI limits TE's to about 7 points in PPR leagues. Butt since Gabbert has capable WR's and RB's to throw to, that should free up McDonald - whom Gabbert clearly favors in the RZ.

Options:

Who do you have?
I went with McDonald even though Chandler was available. I think it will be a toss-up but the stat that clinched it for me was that the Patriots pass nearly 70-80% of the time when in a 2 TE set. Remember, Chandler caught his passes while Gronk was in the game. With Gronk out, I'm not sure that Cleveland or Williams provide enough capability to free up Chandler. McDonald has his own issues, with SF playing Chicago - CHI limits TE's to about 7 points in PPR leagues. Butt since Gabbert has capable WR's and RB's to throw to, that should free up McDonald - whom Gabbert clearly favors in the RZ.
:goodposting:

Chandler has to be option #1. After that, it's a toss up. I like Tye and McDonald. Richard Rodgers is another one to consider this week - his scoring has been TD dependent, but the Lions have given up a lot of TDs to TEs.
:bowtie:

I wrote up a detailed post on this in the Gronk thread... Touted the if for no other reason than he plays at the same time or AFTER New England every game after this week (in case Gronk is late scratch).

Oh and Donnell is out.

Chandler was grabbed by the Jimmy Graham owner. I picked up William Tye and Jordan Cameron. Tye is good for the Week 13 match-up with Donnell out. Cameron has some pretty sweet match-ups in weeks 14-16, despite his poor performance. I'll just hope to get lucky.

Chandler's success is due to Gronk, I believe his PPG will regress with Gronk out despite more playing time.

Chandler's success is due to Gronk, I believe his PPG will regress with Gronk out despite more playing time.
Agree.

Chandler was targeted in multiple TE sets with Gronk on the field so he could be freed up on a LB.

And he looked like a lumbering oaf doing so.

Philly is tough on TEs statistically.

I think many will be disappointed this week.

I'm playing matchups. Rudolph.

I had the FA TEs ranked:

Tamme

Rudolph

McDonald

Clay

Tye

Fleener.

Chandler was gone.

In my League had Tamme; Chandler & Julius Thomas available.

Was last on Waiver Wire due to be in 1st place (league resets WW weekly, 1st place team gets last pick). Ended up with Julius as both Tamme/Chandler were picked ahead of me.

Actually happy to get Julius over the other two :) He's got great ROS (thru 16th) matchups.

Chandler should be your #1 priority but if he is out Rudolph, Thomas and McDonald are all great choices. To ppl thinking that the Eagles are good against TEs, being a homer , this team has packed it in on Chip. Chandler and the entire NE team will get theirs today and will not be surprised if Brady puts up a 40+ point thrashing on the Eagles.

crap ESPN has a quote from Brady: "Scott Chandler to be a major contributor". That's the kiss of death for him, isn't it?

-QG

I picked up Owen Daniels as a back-up TE for the playoff run. His past two games with Osweiler under center have been decent against two teams that are both in the top 5 against tight ends (NE is 4th best and Chicago is 5th). He caught 4/5 for 69 yards at Chicago and 5/6 for 48 yards against New England. Jamie Collins was out in the NE game but Osweiler was getting pressured pretty good in that game as well. Daniels received his typical number of targets in both games but Osweiler was able to connect with Daniels on the majority of those targets. Denver has an outstanding upcoming schedule against defenses that are favorable to TE's.

Check out the match-ups:

Week 13 - San Diego (6th worst vs TE)

Week 14 - Oakland (2nd worst vs TE)

Week 15 - Pittsburgh (5th worst vs TE)

With Stills and Matthews out in Miami does Jordan Cameron possibly get more targets?

For what it's worth I picked up both Chandler and McDonald and have Cameron on my bench. Currently I am rolling with Chandler.

Have had kelce on the bench all year. Breaking the glass on him fully expecting alex smith to ignore him completely.

Went with McDonald as a fill in for Gronk and Eifert, although time will tell if I should have taken the zero (already clinched playoffs).

Looks like Rodgers and Clay have been a winning WW play so far. But there has been so much hot garbage at TE this week.

I ended up with Fleener as my Gronk/Eifert replacement, which hopefully works out better than some of the other options would have at this point.

QuizGuy66 said:
crap ESPN has a quote from Brady: "Scott Chandler to be a major contributor". That's the kiss of death for him, isn't it?

-QG
Looking like it is.

With NE losing today, I have to imagine we see Gronk in week 14 or 15. That is, if he can tolerate the pain from his knee bruise

With NE losing today, I have to imagine we see Gronk in week 14 or 15. That is, if he can tolerate the pain from his knee bruise
Heck yes. Very good developments today for Gronk owners going to the playoffs. I scraped by playing L Green today. Thankfully didn't need him.

Tye with a decent contribution... 3/70 for 10pts is respectable in band-aid mode. Would have liked a TD, but otherwise he didn't hurt anyone this week.

Ok, so yesterday's in the past.

Who for week 14 assuming he's out?

O. Daniels faces OAK at home and V. Davis may have a concussion.

Also, H. Miller may have been dumped on some wires.

W. Tye at Miami doesn't look to bad.

I would be cautious with this week... short of him being announced OUT in advance, you could be in a tight spot deciding with Patriots playing sunday night.

Ideally you will have another option from:

NEP / HOU / NYG / MIA

Users who are viewing this thread